BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New and overwhelmed

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:48 - 15 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote along the lines of c_dug's comment above, first page.

Peanut_Butter
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:04 - 15 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm ashamed to say I always Intended to look at what the bike was but I used several and if I remembered to look at the start of the lesson I'd forgotten it by the end. It was black 😁 with some red I think haha. Think it was a Kawasaki ER6-N but can't be 100% I intend to go back to the school anyways with some 'treats' as they were so nice to me. So I will ask them.

This thread has been confusing but I've been steered in this direction at least.
1) Decided to buy a cheap run around for a year or two to learn how to ride, as others have said I'm gonna drop it or bash it putting it away (I'm clumsy).
2) Have a think about how much I'm using it and how much time I've got to tinker/clean and how much I can be arsed.
3) See if I can spike my husband's interest in learning.. this again may send me in another direction as then it will probably be used more and he would be the one tinkering haha

4) Going to go have a look around the superbike place to see what's what and what these suggestions all feel like to sit on. I'm fortunate enough that bike size/height/weight is not a long term issue with me as I'm tall and strong.

Another stupid question..generally how does test riding work? I know it will differ from place to place. Do they let you off on your own or are you with someone etc?

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:13 - 15 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peanut_Butter wrote:
Another stupid question..generally how does test riding work? I know it will differ from place to place. Do they let you off on your own or are you with someone etc?

Credit card details held to cover excess and off you go. Though with a brand new licence many places will not allow you to test ride. Which is understandable but a bit shit as you are new and trying to figure out what you like.

Carefully consider your point 3, biking is an amazing form of escapism.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:57 - 15 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
Peanut_Butter wrote:
Another stupid question..generally how does test riding work?
with a brand new licence many places will not allow you to test ride

Pretty sure that the aforementioned Superbikefactory falls into that category (or did they just demand a huge excess? Can't remember, I just recall a newbie arguing the toss when I was in there). Also I know they won't let you test drive on a wet/rainy day! so good luck with that any time soon! Just to manage your expectations, I doubt very much you'll be able to persuade them to let you test out a handful of bikes with a view to seeing which you prefer; I think their view is that it's more a case of deciding you'd like a particular bike and want a test-ride to check it's all tickety boo before you put your money down. FWIW most of SPB's sales are sight-unseen via the internet, so they don't really need to bend over backwards to accommodate walk-ins who want to test-ride.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:08 - 15 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with above.

It's actually easier to get a test ride on a new bike from a franchised dealer. They will have dedicated test bikes.

The second hand ones in somewhere like the Superbike Factory probably won't even go into the workshop for the cursory oil change until they are sold.

Many years ago I went to potentially buy a bike from Midland Superbikes. (long since gone - crooks that they were). They wanted a non returnable deposit paid up front for them to check it through the workshop prior to a test ride.

I was told that was normal.

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 15:20 - 15 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a chunk of this 5k should go on an airbag jacket or vest. It ought to be top priority. Especially with the OP being married.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:42 - 15 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://media.giphy.com/media/ANbD1CCdA3iI8/giphy.gif

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Peanut_Butter
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:28 - 15 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undinist wrote:
I think a chunk of this 5k should go on an airbag jacket or vest. It ought to be top priority. Especially with the OP being married.

My husband will no doubt get over me and move on with my pension payout... Very Happy (dark sense of humour I know)

On a serious note didn't intend to go test riding several bikes but I would like to have a go of the bike I decide on beforehand. Dad will be with me so he could always hop on if the newbie thing is an issue.

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 21:11 - 15 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was talking about your death, which is fairly serious. An airbag is like a helmet for your chest. Before helmets became compulsory, head injury was the leading cause of death. Since then it's been chest injury. So if you think a helmet is an essential safety measure, you should also wear an airbag.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:32 - 15 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undinist wrote:
Especially with the OP being married.

Just as it's in one of the bike-related threads, I would like to point out that as an unmarried man, I do not by any means consider that my life is worth less than that of someone, man or woman, who's married. I would not give up my place on a lifeboat on the Titanic, nor desist from using such powers in my arms to prioritise saving my life over that of your wife or children. In saying this, I'm not trying to "correct" you here, just to point out that other than a mutual interest in bikes, most of us probably don't have much in common with each other, and we all probably form our own private views about strangers based on comments in which a personal worldview is presented as a universal norm.

Don't take it personally. I leave objection notes under Americans' Youtube videos when they spout off about Goddo, etc.

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 21:47 - 15 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying that an unmarried person's life is worth less. (I'm not married.) I'm saying that if you're married, your death is especially damaging to your partner, and it can be seen as selfish to risk your life unnecessarily. (This is not exactly an unusual opinion, is it?)

Peanut_Butter
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:02 - 15 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand what your saying completely and I know people can die riding motorbikes I'm not denying that or trying to minimise the risk of that.
My husband has been against me getting a bike for as long as we have been together, he thinks they are too dangerous. Humour is how we get passed that and stop it affecting our relationship because at the end of the day married or unmarried i am my own person. Yes he loves me and would be devastated if anything were to happen but he's not dependent on me. Whatever happens with me his life will continue.

Anyways this is all too morbid... Back on topic I think!!

I will need to purchase a helmet. The one I wore whilst learning was really annoying. Lid shut and it would fog up with two breaths even when moving. Couldn't open it a crack, it was either half or full.
Full and I got eyes full of wind and rain and half and I couldn't see!
Undinist This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Flame). Unhide this post / all posts.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:51 - 16 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it helps you feel better, I've been riding over 20 years now and I still know stuff-all about bikes except how to ride them.

But what I do know is that they are fun and they can change your life, usually for the better.

I flew to Milan once, bought a bike and rode it back to London. I can't be arsed finding the thread (which was started by someone else not brave enough to buy it herself) ... but it was an adventure on its own.

I do agree with him ^up there^ that its a good idea to have a go on a few different sorts, cos the engines can be really different, not to mention the riding position - and it does affect your perception of how much you are enjoying riding it.

But that's the main thing : enjoying it.
Cos you will: it gets in your system and you can't get it out again Cool

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:22 - 16 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peanut_Butter wrote:
I will need to purchase a helmet. The one I wore whilst learning was really annoying. Lid shut and it would fog up with two breaths even when moving. Couldn't open it a crack, it was either half or full.
Full and I got eyes full of wind and rain and half and I couldn't see!

This is where you need to go to a proper shop and try on every helmet. Gloves, no worries, I just buy medium from fleaBay but you really want to take your time with helmets*

*and that's what she said

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:25 - 16 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, how dodgy do you fucks look?! I went into the Honda dealer and I didn't even have a licence - just the bit of paper from the Mod 2 - and they let me out on a bike no problems... was only a Rebel though Wink

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:53 - 16 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Peanut_Butter wrote:

Stuff about helmets

I just put it up (or is it down) two clicks in the rain and peer out from underneath, keeps most of the rain (and wind) out. Bit of a bugger with sleet which is a bit sting-y ... but who really goes out in sleet anyway, unless you have to get home.
None of this pussy visor full down and fogging up b.s. Rolling Eyes

You can ask all the advice you want of people in general : blokes or birds, here or elsewhere. But all opinions will be conflicting anyway.

So just decide on what seems the most sensible and comfortable for you personally, and go with the flow from there.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:23 - 16 Feb 2020    Post subject: Re: New and overwhelmed Reply with quote

Peanut_Butter wrote:
Passed my MOD2 yesterday..

Nice one! Well bloody done. And welcome to an amazing and continuously exhilarating activity - better than flying and up there with shagging. As you'll know, MODs 1 & 2 are both easy to pass - but easier to fail. It feels great to get them signed off. Don't let the anxieties of being novitiate darken the golden glow of achievement,

I'm tempted to say get a used MT07 (or XSR700 - same engine and frame, different styling irrc) - my only reservation is price. We're talking £4k. But I think you can get one and still have enough change for clobber. Admittedly I've not ridden one but by all accounts they're easy to ride, light. and have a fun motor that feels exciting without being bonkers. Maintenance-wise it will just need air in the tyres checked weekly, and chain oiled once/twice a week. A centre stand would be nice but I'm not sure the MT07 has one as standard. This makes chain cleaning loads easier. I have bikes without a centre stand - it's not really a big deal, because I just use a paddock stand. It's easy enough - just a slight faff. Only other thing, really, is oil changes and they're a doddle. Just watch a bit of youtube etc. etc.

Clothing budget would be about £250 for jacket and trousers, £50-£100 for lid (prioritising fit - i.e. tight on cheeks but not spiking your forehead and w/ quick release ratchet type fastener), £50-£100 boots, same for gloves. Once you've got a couple of thou under your belt, don't dismiss the idea of an advance course of riding either - e.g. ROSPA or IAM, etc. You'll soon be safer, smoother and faster - and you'll meet good people and find out where the best roads are. Don't leave it too long though because right now you'll have loads of great habits from your MOD 1 / 2 training such as knowing when and where to shoulder check, life savers, etc. Take all those good habits into an advance course and you'll already be half way there. Better placed than those who've been riding for years and years and developed lots of bad habits. Do it.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:15 - 16 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peanut_Butter, what drew you to motorcycles in the first place?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Peanut_Butter
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 11:27 - 16 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Family always had them growing up and I always wanted to ride, I loved being a passenger but I like to be in control.

It's taken so long because of uni, money, injuries and other priorities. I have a 50 mile round trip into Manchester daily for work and timing and money is good and thought this would help. My husband has a hobby which means he's stuck at home all day and I thought I could disappear for a few hours and have some me time.

I also have a stupid romantic notion of warm summer evenings riding to Southport etc

seeyalater
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:10 - 16 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

this forum is great for ideas on getting your head in the right zone, youtube also a great tool.

5k is huge for a starter bike, in my opinion anyway, i saw some shite for under 2k but also saw some beauties. one was 2001 bandit with less than 5k miles for £1300, i missed it as couldnt get it home..but fot a 2007 bandit for less than 2k. my mate for a retro cafe racer bmw for £1500.
depends where you are maybe but search preloved, ebay and biketrader and then look at insurances to narrow it down.. although with cash spare your ok.. another mate got nearly new speed tripple for 6k and his insurance is about 1k per year, but hes happy.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:15 - 16 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a stupid notion at all, and bikes are really all about 'me' time Smile

And although I've never been a great fan of commuting, if you have to do it, a bike can certainly make it more enjoyable.

If an ER6 is what you learned on and you don't remember anything about them you didn't particularly like, seems as good a place as any to start. They've been around long enough that you should be able to find something in good nick and well within budget, and should also tick all your initial boxes until you learn a bit more about bikes in general.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

seeyalater
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:20 - 16 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peanut_Butter wrote:
Family always had them growing up and I always wanted to ride, I loved being a passenger but I like to be in control.

It's taken so long because of uni, money, injuries and other priorities. I have a 50 mile round trip into Manchester daily for work and timing and money is good and thought this would help. My husband has a hobby which means he's stuck at home all day and I thought I could disappear for a few hours and have some me time.

I also have a stupid romantic notion of warm summer evenings riding to Southport etc

southport is awesome in summer, i imagine the coast road being great on a summers eve,, only been in the car for work

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:30 - 16 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peanut_Butter wrote:
I like to be in control.

Don't we all, luv.

Cool

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 14:55 - 16 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Peanut_Butter wrote:
I like to be in control.

Don't we all, luv.

Cool

You mean there are times your not?
I thought that was just a ploy to make us feel part of the team....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 64 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6