Ratting?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:41 - 14 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

That site quotes muzzle velocity limits in joules. FFS.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:52 - 14 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

andym wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:
Maybe OP should learn to use a "proper" sling. Use much bigger ammunition. I bet the wee bastards wouldn't walk away from that.

I'll update this tomorrow after I've tried a few marbles Wink

Caution: if you are exposed to rats ask your employer to sort out a vaccination against Wiels Disease. (Veels)
Leptospirosis in kinda serious if you get it. Passed from rat contact especially their pish and shite and bites...

You'll get the Rabis. 🤣

Or just pay for your GP to get the vaccine for you.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:57 - 14 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:

Ah! Where they say: "BB guns should be under 1 joule muzzle velocity and airsoft guns should be under 1.3 joules for fully automatic guns, or 2.5 joules for single shot and semi-auto guns"?

Error. Does not compute! Have told their webmaster.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:24 - 14 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very strange.

It must mean "a velocity for which the kinetic energy is less than a joule"

You could work it out if you know the mass of your BB.
Because KE = 1/2 * m * v^2
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:28 - 14 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
MCN wrote:

Licensing laws..... air weapons/bows/x-bows etc.

Sling-Shots are probably governed too. 🤔

Nah, just the air rifles.

You can buy a bow that will take down an adult deer at 60 yards with no licence at all. (it would be illegal to do-so, but you could).

Maybe OP should learn to use a "proper" sling. Use much bigger ammunition. I bet the wee bastards wouldn't walk away from that.

.25 is really only effective at FAC power. There's no difference in the ability to kill a rat with a .22 or a .177 - they both do the job effectively if you can shoot. The advantage of a .177 is the flatter trajectory of the pellet meaning you're more likely to be accurate and get a quick kill over a range of distances. Thumbs Up

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:29 - 14 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:

The limit for non-FAC is still 12 ft/lbs for a rifle and 6 ft/lbs for a pistol. Thumbs Up

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:11 - 14 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
The limit for non-FAC is still 12 ft/lbs for a rifle and 6 ft/lbs for a pistol. Thumbs Up

The phrase Mr Hans was offended by was this one:

"BB guns should be under 1 joule muzzle velocity and airsoft guns should be under 1.3 joules for fully automatic guns, or 2.5 joules for single shot and semi-auto guns"

They got the limits for non-FAC airguns correct.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:35 - 14 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

.25 is really only effective at FAC power. There's no difference in the ability to kill a rat with a .22 or a .177 - they both do the job effectively if you can shoot. The advantage of a .177 is the flatter trajectory of the pellet meaning you're more likely to be accurate and get a quick kill over a range of distances. Thumbs Up

A .25" with wadcutters knocks the shit out of rats. Best calliber for it. You don't shoot rats at long range and you generally have a very defined target area, often with a solid concrete backstop so the trajectory is irrelevant. The target shock is huge and the danger from ricochets of through-and-through shots is minimised. A clean miss is a clean miss, a hit is generally fatal, even if it wasn't a perfect head shot.

A mate of mine used to use homemade LEM bullets in a .25" legal limit air rifle for ratting down the local piggery. High grain, low velocity slug used to damned near cut them in half.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:22 - 15 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

if not an air gun get creative
Go on the slingshot channel and let Joerg show you it's features

https://www.youtube.com/user/JoergSprave

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:33 - 15 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember too that the elastic comes as variants - you can buy (it's cheap) various strengths/return rates of the stuff.
Keep the catapult simple - many on the market try to be 'clever' but are just bling. Yours looks good (I have similar).
Noise - in one of the links there was a tin of metal balls. How f*cking stupid is that? Might as well pop bubble wrap while you're waiting for the next rat to show. Wear quiet clothing if you can. There are some very good hunting garments on the market these days.
Practice and more but you're doing very well given how small and random those things are.

Can you not sneak an old Honda Cub into the site? Then you can have fun chasing and squashing the rats..

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:35 - 15 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackButler wrote:
Even rats deserve a quick clean kill.

If they won't let you own an airgun then there are some ingenious methods of trapping & despatching on Yootoob.

The ones I catch are dispatched very quickly, I find the swing and smash off a concrete block does the trick first time, every time Wink

Turns out the marbles aren't that great, anything over a few feet and it's anyone's guess where they'll go.
One of my first shots was from about 5 feet, the rat gave a loud squeak, done a front flip then limped off under a skip.
Later I managed to creep up to one and shot it from about 3 feet from above, it just keeled over.

As for the air rifle, I'd love to get another one, just that I don't know anyone who would verify me and sign the photos, also I'd need to get permission from whoever runs the site... which several members of staff know I kill rats during my shift, I'm not sure they would let me loose with an air rifle though.... that and I walk to work most nights, so would have no way to get the rifle there.... an air pistol though Thinking
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:48 - 15 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

andym wrote:
JackButler wrote:
Even rats deserve a quick clean kill.

If they won't let you own an airgun then there are some ingenious methods of trapping & despatching on Yootoob.

The ones I catch are dispatched very quickly, I find the swing and smash off a concrete block does the trick first time, every time Wink

Turns out the marbles aren't that great, anything over a few feet and it's anyone's guess where they'll go.
One of my first shots was from about 5 feet, the rat gave a loud squeak, done a front flip then limped off under a skip.
Later I managed to creep up to one and shot it from about 3 feet from above, it just keeled over.

As for the air rifle, I'd love to get another one, just that I don't know anyone who would verify me and sign the photos, also I'd need to get permission from whoever runs the site... which several members of staff know I kill rats during my shift, I'm not sure they would let me loose with an air rifle though.... that and I walk to work most nights, so would have no way to get the rifle there.... an air pistol though Thinking

How hot are they on air rifle legalities in Scotland? Is it treated like owning a real gun as in you have one illegally you are likely to get your back door kicked in and be shot?

Otherwise I'd say take a drive down to gun loving England and buy one. Take it back in the car boot Whistle

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:45 - 15 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

andym wrote:

Why do I get the impression that it's less about pest control & more about your thrill of the kill?

You have clearly demonstrated that you are the target demographic for any draconian gun laws.

dynax
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:50 - 15 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of these https://www.pellpax.co.uk/airguns/air-pistols/co2-powered-air-pistols/smk-victory-cp2-multishot-pistol-rifle-177-pellet-air-pistol/19755

okay for close range vermin 5-10 metres, it is available in .22, in the rifle form it delivers around 8-9 ftlb depending on temperature Thumbs Up

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:54 - 15 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

How hot are they on air rifle legalities in Scotland? Is it treated like owning a real gun as in you have one illegally you are likely to get your back door kicked in and be shot?

Otherwise I'd say take a drive down to gun loving England and buy one. Take it back in the car boot Whistle

I would imagine it's like anywhere that has any kind of gun laws, once you fall foul of 'em you soon find out it's too late to do it properly.

I was taught from an early age that guns can get you into lots of trouble that they can't get you out of.

Here's something to think about, the best thing that a gun does is something its makers never designed into it & something that lots of owners foolishly disregard. The single thing that any gun is best at is it can wait.

It can wait forever, until the twat picks it up.

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:03 - 15 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

<>

Last edited by JackButler on 06:42 - 16 Feb 2020; edited 1 time in total

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:51 - 15 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

A .25" with wadcutters knocks the shit out of rats. Best calliber for it. You don't shoot rats at long range and you generally have a very defined target area, often with a solid concrete backstop so the trajectory is irrelevant. The target shock is huge and the danger from ricochets of through-and-through shots is minimised. A clean miss is a clean miss, a hit is generally fatal, even if it wasn't a perfect head shot.

A mate of mine used to use homemade LEM bullets in a .25" legal limit air rifle for ratting down the local piggery. High grain, low velocity slug used to damned near cut them in half.

When I've shot rats, it's been from a range of distances and very few less than 10m. I've used .177 and .22 and both are effective with a carefully aimed shot. I'd never shoot where there's a concrete backstop even in the open I've had ricochets come back at me from galvanised fencing wire at 25m and I wouldn't fancy being on the receiving end of one - the noise is scary enough Laughing

I assume you've done a lot of byre shooting - for that I'd want to use a low velocity frangible rat round from an .22lr. They're effective, humane and being frangible pretty much disintegrate on impact.

Each to their own really, the .177 vs .22 debate is an old and long running one Thumbs Up

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:55 - 15 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

andym wrote:

You can ask a friend to referee for you - It doesn't have to be anyone special. Carrying an unloaded air rifle in a slip cover is fine as long as you have a legitimate reason for doing so. If you do go down that route get a signed permission letter and carry it with you . If you live in an urban environment then I'd let the local plod know you're likely to be doing that and why.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:40 - 16 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

dynax wrote:
I have one of these https://www.pellpax.co.uk/airguns/air-pistols/co2-powered-air-pistols/smk-victory-cp2-multishot-pistol-rifle-177-pellet-air-pistol/19755

okay for close range vermin 5-10 metres, it is available in .22, in the rifle form it delivers around 8-9 ftlb depending on temperature Thumbs Up

Looks to be a decent gun that. I prefer co2 to spring too.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:37 - 16 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.pellpax.co.uk/airguns/air-rifles/spring-powered-air-rifles/gamo-whisper-x-22-pellet-spring-rifle-scope-4-x-32-second-hand/33898
my rifle

shot rats, flying rats and paper targets with it

defblade
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:22 - 16 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
andym wrote:

You can ask a friend to referee for you - It doesn't have to be anyone special. Carrying an unloaded air rifle in a slip cover is fine as long as you have a legitimate reason for doing so. If you do go down that route get a signed permission letter and carry it with you . If you live in an urban environment then I'd let the local plod know you're likely to be doing that and why.

Also, join BASC as an air rifle member - this automatically gives you proper insurance - something that would make it easier to get your work to agree?

Then, make your own night vision sight. A couple of CCTV cameras and a couple of small screens, mounted onto a scope. Runs from 12v so battery or mains adaptor, depending how far you need to move. But it is kinda like cheating Wink

dynax
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:26 - 16 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
dynax wrote:

Looks to be a decent gun that. I prefer co2 to spring too.

It is a nice gun, very quiet with the silencer no kickback, lightweight and can be taken down reasonably quickly and packed away into a small rucksack or hard case, virtually the next best thing to a poachers rifle Laughing

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:18 - 16 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why bother with a CO2 gun when you can get a PCP and a pump?

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:51 - 16 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you want are a few of these:-

Norfolk Terriers

dynax
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:53 - 16 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
Why bother with a CO2 gun when you can get a PCP and a pump?

All my other guns are CO2 so makes no difference to me Thumbs Up

my collection so far Laughing

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=103127

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=103125

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=103124

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=103126
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 68 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3