Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Restricted but not restricted

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

nicomallourid...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:45 - 16 Feb 2020    Post subject: Restricted but not restricted Reply with quote

Het guys i currently live in turkey and I have a '12 Yamaha XJ6. I might move to the uk this summer but i know that for the A license i have to be atleast 21 yo. Apparently, there are motorcycles restricted to the a2 license. So could have a motorcycle restricted, get all the documents for it then unrestrict it? I'm 18 rn and have a turkish licence for until I get my a2 next year. In turkey you can run from the police they dont really care but i wouldnt really dare such thing in the UK Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:06 - 16 Feb 2020    Post subject: Re: Restricted but not restricted Reply with quote

nicomallourides wrote:
Het guys i currently live in turkey and I have a '12 Yamaha XJ6. I might move to the uk this summer but i know that for the A license i have to be atleast 21 yo. Apparently, there are motorcycles restricted to the a2 license. So could have a motorcycle restricted, get all the documents for it then unrestrict it? I'm 18 rn and have a turkish licence for until I get my a2 next year. In turkey you can run from the police they dont really care but i wouldnt really dare such thing in the UK Thanks.

You could. But then you'd be riding a vehicle you dont have a licence for.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:12 - 16 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might get away with it but ANPR number plate readers are quite common here and inconsistencies are almost instantly flagged up.
If you had even a minor crash and were found to not have the correct licence your insurance will be invalid and bad things will happen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

nicomallourid...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:31 - 16 Feb 2020    Post subject: Re: Restricted but not restricted Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
nicomallourides wrote:

You could. But then you'd be riding a vehicle you dont have a licence for.

Well in some way yes, I saw on other posts on the forum that you need a dyno test and a certification. How do I acquire these and after I do and if I de-restrict my bike, how will the police know that my motorcycle is de-restricted ad it's restricted on paper.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

nicomallourid...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:32 - 16 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
You might get away with it but ANPR number plate readers are quite common here and inconsistencies are almost instantly flagged up.
If you had even a minor crash and were found to not have the correct licence your insurance will be invalid and bad things will happen.

What do you mean by inconsistencies ?

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:43 - 16 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't have a Turkish A2 or A2-equivalent licence right now, you can't ride an A2 bike in the UK.
If you had a Turkish licence which allowed you to ride A2 bikes, then you could do so for 12 months in the UK, after which time you would have to get a UK A2 or A licence to be allowed to continue to ride it.

Supposing you had an A2 licence, you could ride in the UK on a foreign-registered bike for 6 months if you were a tourist. However, since you won't be a visitor but a UK resident, this will not be allowed. You would need to get your Yamaha registered in the UK if you wanted to ride it here as a UK resident.

If you get pulled over, they will check everything. Licence, tax, insurance. You are likely to have the bike confiscated, and points on your licence at the least. After that, you might have problems getting insured on a UK bike. Not worth the hassle - probably best to just sell the bike in Turkey, do an A2 bike test when you turn 19 in the UK, and buy an A2 bike here.

nicomallourid...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:04 - 16 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
If you don't have a Turkish A2 or A2-equivalent licence right now, you can't ride an A2 bike in the UK.
If you had a Turkish licence which allowed you to ride A2 bikes, then you could do so for 12 months in the UK, after which time you would have to get a UK A2 or A licence to be allowed to continue to ride it.

Supposing you had an A2 licence, you could ride in the UK on a foreign-registered bike for 6 months if you were a tourist. However, since you won't be a visitor but a UK resident, this will not be allowed. You would need to get your Yamaha registered in the UK if you wanted to ride it here as a UK resident.

If you get pulled over, they will check everything. Licence, tax, insurance. You are likely to have the bike confiscated, and points on your licence at the least. After that, you might have problems getting insured on a UK bike. Not worth the hassle - probably best to just sell the bike in Turkey, do an A2 bike test when you turn 19 in the UK, and buy an A2 bike here.

Thank you for the detailed reply. My mistake for not giving more detail. Before I move to the uk i'll sell my motorcycle here and by summer i'll be planning on getting a supersport. For example if I bought an R6; added a restrictor and then got dyno results -certificates and such; then removed the restrictor kit and then got stopped by the police. What would happen? Because on paper its restricted and as far as they can see it, it is. How would they know if i've de-restricted my bike? Thank you for your reply again. Thumbs Up

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:26 - 16 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicomallourides wrote:
How would they know if i've de-restricted my bike? Thank you for your reply again. Thumbs Up

Wheelie past them >100mph is usually a dead giveaway although posting YouTube videos where your speedo can be seen is in vogue at the moment Wink

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:26 - 16 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicomallourides wrote:

Thank you for the detailed reply. My mistake for not giving more detail. Before I move to the uk i'll sell my motorcycle here and by summer i'll be planning on getting a supersport. For example if I bought an R6; added a restrictor and then got dyno results -certificates and such; then removed the restrictor kit and then got stopped by the police. What would happen? Because on paper its restricted and as far as they can see it, it is. How would they know if i've de-restricted my bike? Thank you for your reply again. Thumbs Up

You want to read the thread on this forum where someone got pulled and the police dyno'd the bike. It happens. You then have no bike (it will get seized, as your insurance is void), so you get slapped with "Riding other than in accordance" and an IN10 - You're effectively un-insurable for years. It's a bigger issue than the license.

An R6 cannot be restricted to A2 - no Supersports 600 can be, you're allowed a maximum power and power to weight ratio - bikes liek the R6 are over the 94BHP *and* over the power/weight ratio. There are no restriction kits, they do not exist for supersports bikes. Any clued-up copper sees you on an R6, ZX6R, CBR600 etc, they'll pull you because it's a piece of piss to prove they can't be restricted. It's an easy ticket or 3 to make the statistics look better.

You may not like it, but that's the way it is here.

notabikeranym...
Formerly known as
meef

PostPosted: 18:38 - 16 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact is many people ride unrestricted A2 bikes once they've got their certificate and nothing ever happens.

The only time you gotta shit yourself is if you're pulled over by bike cops or a traffic officer who might actually check properly but I've NEVER seen this done and I know a LOT of people running A2 bikes with no restriction.

Moral of the story, if you're gonna do it, make sure you're not pulled over. Or run a flip plate.

Or just be patient.

nicomallourid...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:54 - 16 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meef wrote:
The fact is many people ride unrestricted A2 bikes once they've got their certificate and nothing ever happens.

The only time you gotta shit yourself is if you're pulled over by bike cops or a traffic officer who might actually check properly but I've NEVER seen this done and I know a LOT of people running A2 bikes with no restriction.

Moral of the story, if you're gonna do it, make sure you're not pulled over. Or run a flip plate.

Or just be patient.

Thanks for the reply, I think i might just go for it. rn in turkey I used to have a flip plate on my r3 but since i've been on my xj6 just been running no plate at all. Thanks for the reply. If people run from the blue in the uk is it as serious as people make it to be or in reality do they just not give one? thanks

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:04 - 16 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

They'll regard it as a challenge, and come after you, trip trap until they get you.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:14 - 16 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicomallourides wrote:
If people run from the blue in the uk is it as serious as people make it to be or in reality do they just not give one? thanks

You're probably getting rammed off if you don't stop, especially in London. It's all changed in the last 12-18 months. If you run, anywhere in the UK, they will make it their mission in life to catch you. They will win,eventually. You almost certainly don't have the skills to outrun a trained driver or a chopper, and even if you do - that bike is known and marked, no matter if it's 6, 12, 18 months down the line. If you're seen on it, they know now that you run, and they'll be aggressive about stopping you.

I hope when you do it, you have the decency of just headbutting a lamppost or railing at high speed, and not taking some poor bastard that's done nothing out with you.

nicomallourid...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:35 - 16 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
nicomallourides wrote:
If people run from the blue in the uk is it as serious as people make it to be or in reality do they just not give one? thanks

You're probably getting rammed off if you don't stop, especially in London. It's all changed in the last 12-18 months. If you run, anywhere in the UK, they will make it their mission in life to catch you. They will win,eventually. You almost certainly don't have the skills to outrun a trained driver or a chopper, and even if you do - that bike is known and marked, no matter if it's 6, 12, 18 months down the line. If you're seen on it, they know now that you run, and they'll be aggressive about stopping you.

I hope when you do it, you have the decency of just headbutting a lamppost or railing at high speed, and not taking some poor bastard that's done nothing out with you.

Firstly thank you for the kind message. Secondly, never said anything about running from the police in the UK?? Don't know where you got that from. Reading what i wrote again I clearly stated that I wouldn't dare such a thing in the UK. Anyways, what changes in the last 12-18 months

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:49 - 16 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicomallourides wrote:
what changes in the last 12-18 months

In a word (two actually): "Tactical contact".
After years of escalating urban crime due to kids on stolen mopeds, who have simply thumbed their nose at the law, trained police are now officially allowed to ram the fuckers. It's had a dramatic effect, apparently.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:17 - 16 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicomallourides wrote:
Firstly thank you for the kind message. Secondly, never said anything about running from the police in the UK?? Don't know where you got that from

Yes you did. Right here.

nicomallourides wrote:

If you're asking in the manner you are, you'll be doing it. You don't want a realistic answer, you want someone to justify it for you. Just be warned - If you run, there's a good chance you'll get punted off by the nose of a marked BMW. Your call.

nicomallourid...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:31 - 16 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
nicomallourides wrote:
Firstly thank you for the kind message. Secondly, never said anything about running from the police in the UK?? Don't know where you got that from

Yes you did. Right here.

nicomallourides wrote:

If you're asking in the manner you are, you'll be doing it. You don't want a realistic answer, you want someone to justify it for you. Just be warned - If you run, there's a good chance you'll get punted off by the nose of a marked BMW. Your call.

I wanted an answer to my question. not someone to justify anything. I haven't lived in the UK since 2013, therefore, I have a couple of questions, and therefore I asked them. And nowhere in that message have I mentioned of any intention of running from the police. Like I said, I stated the EXACT opposite. Laughing Hope I do.

notabikeranym...
Formerly known as
meef

PostPosted: 20:39 - 16 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer your question I wouldn't run at all from police. If you've done something stupid or illegal your best option is to stop and be accountable and accept that you took the risk and got caught.

Things were different about a year or two ago where police wouldn't bat an eyelid at motorbikes for fear of losing their jobs (I'm looking at you Henry Hicks), but there's now Operation Venice in full swing. These are officers specially trained to fuck up your day if you're on a bike and run from police.

It also comes down to luck and how much you wanna worry about it, or what you're willing to take in order to run an illegal bike (because that's exactly what you'll be doing FYI with no restriction kit).

Here are your options realistically, and I don't recommend ANY of the following:

1. Have no plate and if you do get stopped, claim the plate fell off, and take the £100 on-the-spot fine for having no plate. A couple people I know run this risk. You are also risking having your bike seized entirely if you've committed a driving offence (wheelies/speeding/they find out it isn't restricted) and been pulled instead of a random stop/check or just stopped for the no plate itself.

2. Have no plate and run. If you succeed pass go, collect freedom. The chances of escape are slim, but possible, depending on the circumstance. A few people I know have successfully run from police simply by filtering through traffic and side roads and then hidden for a while, but this was for benign stuff like a quick/short wheelie on a dual carriageway. However, if you're planning to gun it on the M1 with the NPAS chopper following you unaware, I have some bad news for you.

What I do recommend is you just run the bike restricted for 2 years and do your full test.

Alternatively, if you do run it unrestricted then just run a normal plate and don't get caught doing stupid things/be more cautious than usual.

If you wanna run a unrestricted bike without a plate, the odds are stacked up against you, and while I see people doing it all the time, it's not a smart risk. Doing anything that draws attention to you while you're running an unrestricted bike on a restricted licence will fuck you up completely.

On that note, I'd like to chime in that I'm in no way some good Samaritan telling you what to do, I'm often above the speed limit and sometimes on the back wheel nowadays but I do so knowing the risks fully. Choose your poison and all that.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:27 - 16 Feb 2020    Post subject: ? Reply with quote

Answered you in other post, however, you don't seem to know the rules over here yet. Haven't seen anyone point out that in the UK you cannot ride anything over a 125cc bike until you are 19.

nicomallourid...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:44 - 16 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meef wrote:
To answer your question I wouldn't run at all from police. If you've done something stupid or illegal your best option is to stop and be accountable and accept that you took the risk and got caught.

Things were different about a year or two ago where police wouldn't bat an eyelid at motorbikes for fear of losing their jobs (I'm looking at you Henry Hicks), but there's now Operation Venice in full swing. These are officers specially trained to fuck up your day if you're on a bike and run from police.

It also comes down to luck and how much you wanna worry about it, or what you're willing to take in order to run an illegal bike (because that's exactly what you'll be doing FYI with no restriction kit).

Here are your options realistically, and I don't recommend ANY of the following:

1. Have no plate and if you do get stopped, claim the plate fell off, and take the £100 on-the-spot fine for having no plate. A couple people I know run this risk. You are also risking having your bike seized entirely if you've committed a driving offence (wheelies/speeding/they find out it isn't restricted) and been pulled instead of a random stop/check or just stopped for the no plate itself.

2. Have no plate and run. If you succeed pass go, collect freedom. The chances of escape are slim, but possible, depending on the circumstance. A few people I know have successfully run from police simply by filtering through traffic and side roads and then hidden for a while, but this was for benign stuff like a quick/short wheelie on a dual carriageway. However, if you're planning to gun it on the M1 with the NPAS chopper following you unaware, I have some bad news for you.

What I do recommend is you just run the bike restricted for 2 years and do your full test.

Alternatively, if you do run it unrestricted then just run a normal plate and don't get caught doing stupid things/be more cautious than usual.

If you wanna run a unrestricted bike without a plate, the odds are stacked up against you, and while I see people doing it all the time, it's not a smart risk. Doing anything that draws attention to you while you're running an unrestricted bike on a restricted licence will fuck you up completely.

On that note, I'd like to chime in that I'm in no way some good Samaritan telling you what to do, I'm often above the speed limit and sometimes on the back wheel nowadays but I do so knowing the risks fully. Choose your poison and all that.

Cheers for the info. I'll probably first try a restricted street triple and if i think i could ride it for 2 years why not. If not i'll take the risk and go for the plate on my on-paper restricted motorcycle. Hope all goes well. In turkey it's nice because the police dont quite care if you run from them. I doubt i'd go no plate in the uk. Just gives an alert uppon being spotted. Worst case scenario like i said would be riding a restricted 3-4 cylinder.
And tbh i can't resist myself with a 75hp machine can't imagine what it would be like on yours Laughing Thanks Thumbs Up

nicomallourid...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:46 - 16 Feb 2020    Post subject: Re: ? Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
Answered you in other post, however, you don't seem to know the rules over here yet. Haven't seen anyone point out that in the UK you cannot ride anything over a 125cc bike until you are 19.

You got me wrong, right now in Turkey I have my a2 and upon arrival to the uk i'll be 18. 1 year after i'll be 19 and by the time my turkish license has to be an english one, i'll take my english a2 test. Wink

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:18 - 16 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, you'll still have gone on a public forum and announced you're the baddest bad boy ever and are going to ride an unrestrictable bike on an a2 licence and fool no-one who matters or really cares. You may want to look into vlogging.

nicomallourid...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:53 - 16 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
And, you'll still have gone on a public forum and announced you're the baddest bad boy ever and are going to ride an unrestrictable bike on an a2 licence and fool no-one who matters or really cares. You may want to look into vlogging.

Well definitely not my intention Laughing , if I'm a bad boy by asking questions on a subject that I don't know about, then well be it. i dont really get what your onto but okay. have a nice day.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:49 - 17 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

And people wonder why the country voted for Brexit Rolling Eyes

To answer the original post: no, no you can't derestrict an A2 bike until you have a full A licence because it's AGAINST THE LAW. If you don't understand or care about that please stay in Turkey.

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:12 - 17 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:

The poor bastard would be the one being unlawfully murdered over a piece of paper by the police and the UK government at the time that bastardised an EU licensing directive and lets not forget when the DVLA lost peoples bike licenses.

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
nicomallourides wrote:
what changes in the last 12-18 months

In a word (two actually): "Tactical contact".
After years of escalating urban crime due to kids on stolen mopeds, who have simply thumbed their nose at the law, trained police are now officially allowed to ram the fuckers. It's had a dramatic effect, apparently.

Or the police happily sat on their hands because they were told they couldn't do as they please and so let proper crime got out of control until they got to endanger the public again.
They weren't brilliant at getting peoples bikes back that were sitting around after they were stolen either.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 63 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2