Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Fat Club BCF style

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:32 - 19 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubbs wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:
I have found a goal to motivate my fitness journey. It might be a little unrealistic, depends on one certain thing being available to me in a little under 2 years time. But meanwhile, I'll pretend it's achievable. It has been hard these past two years not having anything to aim for.

What is this certain thing you speak of?

Equity release on my house.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:43 - 19 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp intake of breath. I might be tempted to sell and buy a cheaper slimmer one rather than go into some financial arrangement and pay fat people.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:58 - 19 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Sharp intake of breath. I might be tempted to sell and buy a cheaper slimmer one rather than go into some financial arrangement and pay fat people.

Question

A cheaper, slimmer house would be a broom cupboard Laughing
I do suspect that they'd try to rip me off, so it would depend on how much I could get. But I have few options left, so if it panned out along the lines I'm thinking of, it might be worth it to me. The idea is not set in stone in my mind though.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:15 - 19 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:

Question

It's not really the thing for this thread, but what's normally called "equity release" involves taking out a loan secured on your house which is paid off when you die, or perhaps at some other time. It is a costly way of borrowing money, really, even if it is just costly for your estate.

I would be inclined to examine https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/mortgages/equity-release/ or https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/equity-release or other such information, and not go into any such arrangement without considering things at length (but you say you have two years).

Personally I'd move somewhere cheaper ("downsize"), as long as it had enough accommodation/ground.

Edit: Didn't see the "broom cupboard" bit. Consider what there is around; your profile says "Carlisle". Property does not seem very expensive there; maybe poke about on "rightmove" after you have had your "free" ordinary estate agent valuation, and think about what might be done?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:53 - 19 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand what you are saying, and in more normal circumstances I'd agree it's not a great way to raise capital. However, my circumstances seem make it a reasonable option despite the downsides - again, depending on exactly how much I might get. That is the crux for me. I'm not sure I want to go into greater detail, it's a very personal thing. I will try to find out what kind of percentage of the property value I might raise, but for now the thought that it is a possibility is enough if it motivates me to keep fit!

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:36 - 19 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not motivated enough to be weighing or measuring anything at all (yet).

But I am trying to see how I get on when trying to (1) consume less carbs, over the last two weeks. I cut a considerable number of carbs (pasta, rice, bread, potatoes) and (2) I stopped constantly taking painkillers (including weed/THC caps).

So I've had one (!) joint in the last fortnight, and that was because I was on my own on my birthday so I felt like cheerying myself up, causing me to polish off the remainder of the cupcakes (MAJOR no-carb FAIL Laughing )

The only thing I can say about the whole experience so far is that its been "real" Laughing

An interesting experiment, at which I have occasionally failed, but it makes me realise just how easy it is to improve what you eat instead of just going "this and mash", "this and pasta", "this and chips" (actually I am not a big fan of chips in general) or "this and rice" without even thinking about it.

I've not noticed a particular increase in energy or health giving properties, particularly as wiping out the painkillers (ibuprofen/paracetamol) has made me feel every bit of the year of my latest age - and more! - for the last two weeks.

Today (for example) I took a paracetamol for a bad headache, because I have to concentrate on this editing whic hI have avoided doing for 2 months now - but mostly if I have had a headache or some sort of joint pain, I have just risen up to meet it and cracked on without painkillers, and it disappears. Worst I've done is a bit of tiger balm on my feet or neck.

I decided I needed to know JUST HOW MUCH pain I was in, in reality.

So I am taking no particular pains to eat better, lose weight, exercise more, but what I am doing, is listening to what my body does when I attempt to change certain bad habits.

A side effect of this is that I decided to finish off the CBD honey, which I am still not sure I believe in its efficacy. BUT ... much like previous "experiments" with CBD, I do honestly think it has improved my powers of concentration. I am much more able to focus better when I have had yoghurt laced with CBD honey.

So there you go.
Even I eventually come round to the idea of being responsible for my own health.
Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:25 - 19 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
I'm not motivated enough to be weighing or measuring anything at all (yet).

But I am trying to see how I get on when trying to (1) consume less carbs, over the last two weeks. I cut a considerable number of carbs (pasta, rice, bread, potatoes) and (2) I stopped constantly taking painkillers (including weed/THC caps).

So I've had one (!) joint in the last fortnight, and that was because I was on my own on my birthday so I felt like cheerying myself up, causing me to polish off the remainder of the cupcakes (MAJOR no-carb FAIL Laughing )

The only thing I can say about the whole experience so far is that its been "real" Laughing

An interesting experiment, at which I have occasionally failed, but it makes me realise just how easy it is to improve what you eat instead of just going "this and mash", "this and pasta", "this and chips" (actually I am not a big fan of chips in general) or "this and rice" without even thinking about it.

I've not noticed a particular increase in energy or health giving properties, particularly as wiping out the painkillers (ibuprofen/paracetamol) has made me feel every bit of the year of my latest age - and more! - for the last two weeks.

Today (for example) I took a paracetamol for a bad headache, because I have to concentrate on this editing whic hI have avoided doing for 2 months now - but mostly if I have had a headache or some sort of joint pain, I have just risen up to meet it and cracked on without painkillers, and it disappears. Worst I've done is a bit of tiger balm on my feet or neck.

I decided I needed to know JUST HOW MUCH pain I was in, in reality.

So I am taking no particular pains to eat better, lose weight, exercise more, but what I am doing, is listening to what my body does when I attempt to change certain bad habits.

A side effect of this is that I decided to finish off the CBD honey, which I am still not sure I believe in its efficacy. BUT ... much like previous "experiments" with CBD, I do honestly think it has improved my powers of concentration. I am much more able to focus better when I have had yoghurt laced with CBD honey.

So there you go.
Even I eventually come round to the idea of being responsible for my own health.
Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Mmmm.. quite agree...mmm...sorry... I like to...mmm...save opening this thread until I'm chowing down on bacon and egg sarnies... Laughing

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:38 - 19 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weirdly, that doesnt even bother me this week
(although next week it might, at which point I will come and bite your fingers off Laughing )
Could be because I am resigned to the fact that there is no bacon in the house Rolling Eyes
Or it could be that I had a decent full English yesterday for brunch.

Which (when I think about it) was also mostly carb free and I didnt even notice: the only carby thing I could spot was the toast and even that was brahn.

It was a dead posh place in Woolwich (the "new" Arsenal shopping centrey thing) ... and not a greasy spoon. Although my companion mentioned that a greasy spoon would have been just as good.

Nice mushroom, real tomato, grilled, poached eggs, bacon and a toulouse sausage. On brahn toast with no butter. I didn't ask for no butter, it just came that way. And the baked beans were some posh form of in-house 3-bean mix with a bit of smashed tomato.

Fucks sake, I enjoyed it without noticing Laughing

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:50 - 19 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

But i have a question:

Are chickpeas carbs?
I am thinking "legumes" but I am completely uncertain as to what they actually are any more.

Its been a good 35 years since I did nutrition at school and I've forgotten more than anybody thinks they can lecture me about.

Google says Carbs
Someone else says not carbs, but not protein either.
So I am having tuna with it to boost the protein, just in case
(*glares at Munterchops ... do not even SAY it*)

Fuck this, its getting complicated.
Rolling Eyes Its this kind of conundrum that will drive me back to bacon sandwiches.

The only thing I am still doing is not cutting out sugar, which of course I know, I know, is white death, but hell, we all have to die of something, right.

I've had no rice, no pasta, no toast, no sandwiches, no HAM AND CHEESE CROISSANT, no steak bakes ( Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked ) . For two weeks. For me, this is remarkable behaviour.

Apart from my birthday which was a pizza and ice cream and cupcake day, I keep doing mental things like looking at the salad bar at work to see if there is the sultana and carrots stuff that I like, fucking weirdo.

Oh wait. I had tinned "ravioli" last night because I couldnt get the broccoli and french beans that I craved. It was fucking horrible. Even Robbie wouldn't eat it.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:24 - 19 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
But i have a question:

Are chickpeas carbs?
I am thinking "legumes" but I am completely uncertain as to what they actually are any more

Read the label. My 30p tins of KTC chickpeas from Aldi say (per 100g drained, kcal and grammes):

Energy 116
Fat 2.2 (sats 0.3)
Carbohydrate 15 (sugar <0.5)
Fibre 3.5
Protein 7.3
Salt 0.276

So I'd say these are medium to low carbohydrate, but YtinMV. Yes, they are legumes too.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:09 - 19 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

Read the label.

Oh yeah. Forgot about that Laughing
Mind you, most labels I can't read these days without having to squint.
But maybe if I read one, once - then the rest will be similar.
I shall randomly check, this should assuage my guilt about my outrageously overwhelming laziness.

Thank you Wink

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:17 - 19 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
I'm chowing down on bacon and egg sarnies...

But wait!

If you took two pieces of back bacon
And you fried them up
And then you made a nice fried egg, over easy of course.
And you put it inside the pieces of bacon, perhaps with a slice of mature cheddar.

That would be a "bacon and egg sarnie" , correct?
There is bacon, and there is egg, and there is a sandwiched formation.
There is even the bonus of some cheese.
Cool

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:14 - 20 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
mentalboy wrote:
I'm chowing down on bacon and egg sarnies...

But wait!

If you took two pieces of back bacon
And you fried them up
And then you made a nice fried egg, over easy of course.
And you put it inside the pieces of bacon, perhaps with a slice of mature cheddar.

That would be a "bacon and egg sarnie" , correct?
There is bacon, and there is egg, and there is a sandwiched formation.
There is even the bonus of some cheese.
Cool

Yay... and a goodly amount of mushrooms fried in the bacon fat. (Needless to say that the eggs must be cooked in bacon fat amassed from previous fry ups). Mr. Green

All aided with a goodly dose of Fenofibrate... Crying or Very sad

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:20 - 20 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The video on the page linked to below by a real doctor explains things
I'm not a keto religious fanatic of avid follower of him
by any means but what he says make a lot o sense to me and
its backed up over and over elsewhere too
take 40 minutes to get the drift

https://www.burnfatnotsugar.com/Diet20.html

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:38 - 20 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
The video on the page linked to below by a real doctor explains things
I'm not a keto religious fanatic of avid follower of him
by any means but what he says make a lot o sense to me and
its backed up over and over elsewhere too
take 40 minutes to get the drift

https://www.burnfatnotsugar.com/Diet20.html

There seem to be pros and cons to all of the different approaches. Personally, I still believe in a balanced diet with exercise. Seems to work ok, and I don't have to be confused all the time Laughing

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:52 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Down to 86.6kg from 90.1kg.

Only another 8kgs to go! Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:23 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the end, I think goals of ideal weight are futile. What then? Better to concentrate more on just steadily working to get a permanently healthy way of living established.

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:27 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
In the end, I think goals of ideal weight are futile. What then? Better to concentrate more on just steadily working to get a permanently healthy way of living established.

It's just a goal to be at my 'racing' weight where I previously was.

I've already made positive lifestyle changes, therefore I don't think maintaining will be as much of a problem had it been a drastic change causing the weight loss - it's taken months to lose about 8lbs Laughing

The scales are going down instead of up, this is good, this means I don't have to buy new leathers.

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:30 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, anyone heard of/tried Huel?

It's a meal replacement vegan thing that looks a bit like vomit, like in the matrix.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:50 - 05 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

garth wrote:
Also, anyone heard of/tried Huel?

It's a meal replacement vegan thing that looks a bit like vomit, like in the matrix.

Sounds lovely, no thanks though.

I am having my big dinner now. Chicken, home-made chips baked in a little bit of beef fat, with a very light sprinkling of salt, a microwaved onion, most of a pot noodle container full of mixed boiled vegetables (leek, kale, cauliflower, carrot, broccoli), and a tin of baked beans. I have to be careful none falls off the side of the plate! Oh, and a large mug of cocoa (no milk or sugar). I'll guess 750 calories, no more.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:53 - 02 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

My neighbour (not the little old Sikh lady) noticed today what I have been noticing myself lately, that I have started to "see" the bit of weight I have lost. Cool

Which is enough to motivate me further.

Nobody else much has noticed, I don't think most people look at me critically like that any more, so it will be quite a few stone down the line before anybody REALLY notices Laughing

But I have, and that's what matters.
Still got a LONG way to go yet.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:44 - 02 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke to nursey up the docs the other day and
as she had my records to hand I asked her to look them up.
To my surprise I found I now weigh less than I did in 2008 when I was 90Kg.

I noted down the weights as she read them off and can see how I'd steadily
gained weight over the years and reached 106.5Kg due to sloth and piggery.

'Its marathon not a sprint' as they say and currently in the 87-88Kg range
aiming for sub 85.
Will have a wee celebration when I get to 86.5Kg cos that will be the minus 20Kg
milestone, then back on the waggon.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:53 - 02 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Svelte!
Wub

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:53 - 02 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
My neighbour (not the little old Sikh lady) noticed today what I have been noticing myself lately, that I have started to "see" the bit of weight I have lost. Cool

Which is enough to motivate me further.

Nobody else much has noticed, I don't think most people look at me critically like that any more, so it will be quite a few stone down the line before anybody REALLY notices Laughing

But I have, and that's what matters.
Still got a LONG way to go yet.

Jen
I see you've joined the cause, well done.
We'll get you to one of our Vegan Paleo Fasting for Christ evenings yet
and hopefully partaking in the laying on of hands.
(always a fav that one)

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:19 - 03 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't do vegan, sweetie ... there has to be meat.

But your plan sounds temptacious Cool
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 235 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8