Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Probably more shed advice

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

toby1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:25 - 17 Feb 2020    Post subject: Probably more shed advice Reply with quote

So

The time has come to replace the old wooden 6 x 10 shed. The thing is since that one was born there seems to be a wider choice now of plastic and metal alternatives.

Anyone have experience or input of the longevity or problems with these types?

Looking at metal sheds are the galvanised as good as say all aluminium built ones? Also I see that the metal material thickness varies from 2.7mm to 3.3mm is there a recommended thickness of material. Also do they get too hot in summer?

Which brings me to plastic sheds. I gather that the insulation would be good in winter but do they last material wise.

Also looking at putting a chest freezer in this one to take advantage of summer crops of veg etc.

Replacing will be a pain to prepare and do so I don't want to make the wrong choice hence my request for any advice to consider.

Thanks all

Laughing

dynax
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:33 - 17 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both will suffer with heavy condensation, i have a polytunnel greenhouse type thing and although it has good air flow it gets very wet inside, if you plan to use one for bikes get a cover to go over the bike Thumbs Up

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:35 - 17 Feb 2020    Post subject: Re: Probably more shed advice Reply with quote

toby1 wrote:
The time has come to replace the old wooden 6 x 10 shed

Why? Pic(s)?

toby1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:36 - 17 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply,

No bike in this one, tucked in the back garden at the side of the house.

toby1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:37 - 17 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing

Replacing cause rotten base and side section where it meets floor.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:48 - 17 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You forgot concrete. Should score well on the security front. Probably less of a condensation trap too.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:52 - 17 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the plastic one would be very well insulated unless it incorporates insulated layer or at least a twin wall design.
Bear in mind a lot of modern freezers are designed to operate at no lower than a cool room temperature around 15C, not saying it won't work but have heard of issue with them in cold outbuildings.
However a small shed with half decent insulation would stay noticeably warmer from the freezer waste heat.
Rapid temperature swings lead to condensation and unhealthy pervasive dampness which nothing electrical will thrive on.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:14 - 17 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

toby1 wrote:
Riejufixing

Replacing cause rotten base and side section where it meets floor.

Seems a lot of trouble to go to when you might be able to repair it.

Haynes: Roof off, unbolt and remove sides, replace floor, repair damaged side section, reverse the procedure to reassemble.

If you chuck it, you might be able to ebay it, someone will pay you for it & take it away!

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:05 - 17 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
You forgot concrete. Should score well on the security front. Probably less of a condensation trap too.

I've been looking at second hand concrete garages. You can pick them up for a song or even free in many cases. Only problem is getting them from A to B.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:28 - 17 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
I've been looking at second hand concrete garages. You can pick them up for a song or even free in many cases. Only problem is getting them from A to B.

I made 7 trips in my van to get a double concrete garage, not too far, so OK. Didn't want to strain the van by too few trips/too large a load. Support the "posts" in two places, 1/4 in from each end, on 2x2 or similar. Carry the concrete panels on edge.

Disposing of asbestos roofs can be a pain. Near where I got the thing was a council tip accepting "domestic" asbestos, very handy. Needs to be wrapped. I used "industrial" cling film.

When you've got the thing then you need to make a concrete base for it (I need to do one 6.1m x 5.1m), and make a roof if you disposed of the original (I will use 3" corrugated iron over 11mm Stirling board).

It'd better stop raining soon...

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:39 - 18 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
I don't think the plastic one would be very well insulated unless it incorporates insulated layer or at least a twin wall design.
Bear in mind a lot of modern freezers are designed to operate at no lower than a cool room temperature around 15C, not saying it won't work but have heard of issue with them in cold outbuildings.
However a small shed with half decent insulation would stay noticeably warmer from the freezer waste heat.
Rapid temperature swings lead to condensation and unhealthy pervasive dampness which nothing electrical will thrive on.

Fridge-freezers struggle in cool temps due to the fridge temp being cooled by some of the freezer pipes. Only one cooling system.
The freezer is well insulated and has many pipes.
The fridge is designed to let some heat in from outside to maintain the fridge temp above freezing.
Problems are when outside is cooler than the fridge.
The thermostat will not close the pump circuit so the freezer part will slowly warm up to the outside temp.
Solution is to fit a circuit to monitor freezer independent of fridge.
Or truck the thermostat by warming the fridge compartment with a small heat source. (15 watt bulb.) On a timer to switch on and a
Off to trick the thermostat.

Shed:
If concrete base do a DPM before you pour to minimise moisture migrating through the floor.
Concrete is very porous.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:35 - 18 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can confirm with steel sheds - few years back I built a huge arched corrugated metal workshop (for caravan repairs = high) and that thing had its own weather system inside. Machinery and tools would rust rapidly.

You mentioned a 3ish mm thick metal shed earlier. Really? Might want to check again cos a 3 mm steel sheet is bloody heavy. Probably 0.3 mm thick!

Placka sheds can be OK for bicycles. I've seen some canny enough 'clip together' bicycle sheds. Size though - I have no experience with bigger or with longevity of the material they're made of.

Personally I'd go with concrete then wood next. Concrete because usually a token payment for a used one. They're sectional and easy to build quickly. Get friends in to move it and make a weekend of it. Beers, burgers and the likes.
I'm not sure what the local building regs would say about sectional concrete though?

Wood is probably best. You really need to build your own though. Make it sectional too.
Wood can be expensive but try finding a business that wants rid of old pallets. Better still those bigger machinery pallets because they have longer thicker wood. Can be a pain to disassemble a pallet but it can be done - there will be clues on YouTube!
Wood is warm and insulating. Keep it properly preserved too. Find REAL creosote and use that - it can still be purchased in bulk from certain places. Keep the weather off the roof with a good covering and it'll last ages.

Take heed about refrigeration and colder temperatures. Some devices do work in colder air but you need to check and be sure.

toby1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:57 - 18 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all - lots to chew over
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 69 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1