Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Running Windows XP/7 "within" Windows 10?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:52 - 19 Feb 2020    Post subject: Running Windows XP/7 "within" Windows 10? Reply with quote

I've recently - very reluctantly - "upgraded" from Windows 7 to Windows 10 on account of Microsoft withdrawing support. One of the joyful effects of this is that my formerly perfectly working scanner is now reduced to doorstop status due to non-availability of the appropriate driver.

Now I'm aware of Vuescan which is a last-ditch option but don't really want to go there. Is it possible for me to set up and open a virtual window or something running an older version of Windows, just for the purpose of scanning stuff? I'm not entirely certain what I'm asking so not sure what to google for, but does this sound plausible?

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:25 - 19 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can run windows 7 in an Oracle Virtualbox but it almost certainly won't allow you to install the scanner unless it is on the host machine. Best option IMO if just to get a cheap £20 SSD off ebay, install win7 on it, and use it when you want to scan stuff. Just hit F12 or whatever to change the boot sequence and select the other OS when you need to scan stuff. You can put them both on the same drive but its more work and risk than just buying a cheap and crappy SSD.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:32 - 19 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check to see if the scanner will run on linux. Then you could set it up to dual boot or boot into a "live" version from a USB stick or DVD (eg, puppy linux).

Probably be faster to use than win 7 anyway.

SANE (scanner access now easy) is one of the projects providing scanner support to linux systems, see if yours is listed.

https://www.sane-project.org/sane-supported-devices.html

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:43 - 19 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

My old scanner first set up on XP will work with Windows Fax and Scan you already have.
There's also compatibility mode might help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:44 - 19 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just use your mobile phone camera as a scanner, its got a better resolution most likely anyway.

Or bite the bullet and get a new scanner - haven't found much that doesn't run on 10 that ran on 7 though unless it's one of those cack awful parallel port scsi things.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 20:59 - 19 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm yet to find an actual item that doesn't work in windows 10. Embrace the future, no one scans..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:20 - 19 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Embrace the future, no one scans..

Yet many people want you to sign documents and email them back. Meaning you have to print it out, sign it, scan it back in then attach it to an email.

Fax was quicker and easier for doing this.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 21:31 - 19 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Paddy. wrote:
Embrace the future, no one scans..

Yet many people want you to sign documents and email them back. Meaning you have to print it out, sign it, scan it back in then attach it to an email.

Fax was quicker and easier for doing this.

DocuSign, free, a signature is a signature Smile

I would be hella surprised if anyone still requires a written signature. To transfer funds between 2 ISAs I can literally select what signature I think looks best from a few and press sign.

I do not build anything that requires human effort.

Overall though, I'd be fucking impressed if it doesn't work on Windows 10. You just need some savvy.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:47 - 19 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Vuescan when I moved from XP to Windows 7, worked well.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:57 - 19 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
]

I would be hella surprised if anyone still requires a written signature. To transfer funds between 2 ISAs I can literally select what signature I think looks best from a few and press sign.

A lot of the documentation I do HAS to be signed manually and rubber stamped and the original has to be forwarded by post following the scanned copy. Even the hard copies I keep on file have to be countersigned and stamped.

The amount of paper I waste on export documentation is fucking incredible.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:35 - 19 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people "scan" by using their phone camera these days... #JustSayin'

Anyhoo, yes, you'd want either Oracle VirtualBox or VMware Workstation. The later isn't free but the former, while free, is owned by a bunch of c*nts Wink

Both have pass-through USB support and don't rely on the driver of the host for communication.

You might want to see if there was a Windows 8 driver as 9/10 times that works under Win10. What's the make and model of scanner?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 22:55 - 19 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Paddy. wrote:
]

A lot of the documentation I do HAS to be signed manually and rubber stamped and the original has to be forwarded by post following the scanned copy. Even the hard copies I keep on file have to be countersigned and stamped.

The amount of paper I waste on export documentation is fucking incredible.

Ah you have a person and animal work thing I guess. I'm 100% technology and I cannot deal with people, they can deal with the computer Laughing

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:24 - 20 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses and suggestions.
I think Stinkers is closest to the mark in that my needs for the scanner are driven by clients who I do work for, and its not for me to dictate to them how they want documents/contracts handling/signing.

That said, my overall need for a scanner is very much less than it used to be, so I'm not interested in dropping a lot of cash on a replacement scanner just because Microsoft has said so. FWIW I have a Kodak i30 with a sheet feeder - good luck to anyone who can find a Windows 10 driver for that (and indeed, to anyone who fancies scanning 30-page documents using a phone...). It wasn't a cheap device, and nor would a Win-10-compatible replacement.

The idea of installing an old version of Windows on an SSD for dual boot appeals - that might be the answer (though I only run a laptop these days, so the 2nd SSD would have to be external, via USB - not ideal). Current favoured solution is to resurrect an old laptop running XP and use that as a dedicated machine to the scanner, on the same network as my main laptop)

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:55 - 20 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Brother MFCJ5730DW at home - does a whole lot of things including scanning.

Maybe you can swing it past the finances as an upgrade to a few things rather than 'just' a scanner.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:00 - 20 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
You can run windows 7 in an Oracle Virtualbox but it almost certainly won't allow you to install the scanner unless it is on the host machine. Best option IMO if just to get a cheap £20 SSD off ebay, install win7 on it, and use it when you want to scan stuff. Just hit F12 or whatever to change the boot sequence and select the other OS when you need to scan stuff. You can put them both on the same drive but its more work and risk than just buying a cheap and crappy SSD.

VMware Player is free for non-commercial use and will pass-through USB devices quite happily. A licence isn't too expensive, but you could buy a new printer/scanner for half the cost.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:08 - 20 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 32GB thumb drive with Win7 on would be fine as long as the laptop isn't so ancient it doesn't support USB2.0 and USB boot devices - hit F12 or whatever to pick your boot device on power up. If you're really lucky then the BIOS / EFI might let you prioritise USB boot devices over internal drives and then it's just a case of plugging/removing the key.

Personally I'd just go for VirtualBox for easy of use, e.g. half way through the work day you can spin up the VM to scan a document instead of having to close up all your work and reboot.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:11 - 20 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your scanner will probably work with Linux. It has a basic driver listed.

If you are going to dual boot or boot something off a usb drive, I'd dual boot with a Linux build. It'll be up super fast and you won't need to worry about running something old and virusey on the same PC.

As I say, puppy linux is a good choice because it's designed to run from a pendrive or DVD. I'd use the ubuntu-based version. You'll get the entire operating system on a 4Gb USB stick. Handy to have because it can also get you out of bother if your operating system falls over or your hard drive shits itself because it'll boot entirely into the RAM. You don't even need a HDD fitted. I've had an HDD fail but have been able to boot into puppy, mount the busted drive and transfer data off it.

You CAN use plug and play USB devices through virtual box. I have windows 7 in a virtual box on my Debian PC so I can update the wifes garmin watch. It also mounts and autoruns the software built into my action camera.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:10 - 20 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
I used Vuescan when I moved from XP to Windows 7, worked well.

Same here I don't recall any issues
why not just buy a scanner that works in win 10?
A4 types are pretty cheap and many printers have a scanner built in too.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 18:32 - 20 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Kodak i30 with a sheet feeder - good luck to anyone who can find a Windows 10 driver for that

You just need TWAIN support by the looks of it. Grab the Win7 drivers from the MSI, insert directly and it'll be fine. There is no difference in architecture.

Are you PC savvy, assume you are...

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:07 - 20 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Kodak i30 with a sheet feeder - good luck to anyone who can find a Windows 10 driver for that

You just need TWAIN support by the looks of it. Grab the Win7 drivers from the MSI, insert directly and it'll be fine. There is no difference in architecture.
Are you PC savvy, assume you are...

Interesting - would be fab. Reasonably savvy-ish, but sadly I doubt enough for MSI driver-grabbing...

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 21:36 - 20 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me try tomorrow at work.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 60 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1