Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Splitting up Mod 1 and Mod 2 significantly

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:38 - 21 Feb 2020    Post subject: Splitting up Mod 1 and Mod 2 significantly Reply with quote

I travel a lot for work and can be out of the country for months at a time. I have a geared 125 which I use as transport whenever I am back, but I have not had chance to ride it a lot. Maybe 10 or so journeys, most of them short, into town and back or whatever. That said, I am happy that I have the muscle memory for gear changes which is (in my opinion) the hardest thing after having driven a car for a long time.

I will be back home in the UK in easter for a week, and was considering booking my Mod 1. The problem is, I'm not sure when I would be able to do my Mod 2. Probably 2-3 months down the line, with no riding in the middle.

I had 2 questions:

I know it is a "different for everyone" situation, but for someone who has a bit of experience riding and feels comfortable on a bike (i.e. not total novice doing DAS the day after a CBT) but who hasn't been riding since he was a weeun, how many lessons would be sensible to book in advance before attempting Mod 1?

Is it stupid to attempt Mod 1 not knowing when I would be able to ride again? (I am in no danger of my CBT/theory expiring, btw) I could fail my Mod 1 and have to wait 3 months to try again. Or pass and have to wait 3 months to try Mod 2. Would I forget everything I had learned in the time inbetween?

I am really keen on passing my test as soon as possible, as I can then ride abroad which might make work a bit easier, and would definitely make it more enjoyable, but I can't use all of my anual holiday in one go to block off a month to pass all my tests in one go.

I am 26, for the record.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:22 - 21 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you book them on the day after each other or even the same day? It's a risk but if you do pass it's all out the way, if you fail then revert to plan A of having a big gap.

seeyalater
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:50 - 21 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

there both so different it wont matter. Mod 1 does need some training though and on the bike you will test on.
mod 2 is all road riding and safety, safety, safety so no problem doing months after mod1 as long as your getting training, making progress is progress. as above if your confident have a blast at both, may well end up passing.
also worth knowing the area your testing at really well, roundabouts mostly.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:22 - 21 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I'd recommend at least a day's training before the test to get used to a bigger bike again. The other guy on my Mod 2 just came at the bike cold and he failed miserably.

Peanut_Butter
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:41 - 21 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also bearing in mind that your MOD1 certificate has a 6 months expiry date.. so you would need to pass your MOD 2 within that time

EDIT: I had a 3 hour lesson in between my MOD1 and MOD2 to go over dual carriage ways and overtaking that previously hadn't been covered.

Last edited by Peanut_Butter on 13:27 - 21 Feb 2020; edited 1 time in total

craigbeal
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:47 - 21 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve just passed my Mod 1 and Mod 2 on the same day with no prior bike riding experience.

Passed CBT and theory 2 weeks ago and had a 1 full day riding on a bigger bike and a 2 hour training session on mod 1 test centre and that was it.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:30 - 21 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigbeal wrote:
I’ve just passed my Mod 1 and Mod 2 on the same day with no prior bike riding experience.

Passed CBT and theory 2 weeks ago and had a 1 full day riding on a bigger bike and a 2 hour training session on mod 1 test centre and that was it.

You have to be careful, blowing your own trumpet, that you don't hurt yer back Wink

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:49 - 21 Feb 2020    Post subject: What? Reply with quote

Peanut_butter, you're wrong. A mod 1 is valid for the life of a theory test pass. You have to get mod 2 passed before theory runs out.

Op, mod 1 is easy to pass on a big bike if you have practiced on a bigger bike. It's harder to get the emergency stop done on a 125 than as 650. But, it's easier to do a good u turn on a 125!

The mod 2 is all about being confident and safe on the road. So, your 125 time is invaluable. The cost is incurred because you can't practice on a bigger bike without instruction from an approved instructor. You can go and do the test from the test centre all insured on a bike your mate rode in, but, they do check.

Also, where are you in the country? BCF may know some schools!

Peanut_Butter
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:50 - 21 Feb 2020    Post subject: Re: What? Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
Peanut_butter, you're wrong. A mod 1 is valid for the life of a theory test pass. You have to get mod 2 passed before theory runs out.

I'm only going off what the MOD1 examiner said last month when I did it.. it does say something about 6 months on the back of the certificate if you are theory test exempt so maybe that's what he meant.
Also I had more than 6m of my theory so he couldn't havent meant that

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:35 - 22 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrong is wrong. What's a mod 1 examiner? Do you mean a Dvsa examiner? Name and test centre please.

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 05:31 - 22 Feb 2020    Post subject: Re: What? Reply with quote

Peanut_Butter wrote:
Kentol750 wrote:

I'm only going off what the MOD1 examiner said last month when I did it.. it does say something about 6 months on the back of the certificate if you are theory test exempt so maybe that's what he meant.
Also I had more than 6m of my theory so he couldn't havent meant that

I don't know which of you is correct, but thank you Peanut_Butter for making me aware - I will definitely check that!

Looks like I will go for it then. It's probavbly not the "ideal" way to do it, but, if you spend your whole life waiting for the perfect moment you will probably never do anything. Thats a lesson I've learned.

I'm in the midlands, staffordshire way, if anyone knows some good riding schools there?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 08:27 - 22 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 is correct, a module one pass certificate is valid for the duration of your theory test pass certificate.

If you're back in the UK for a week over Easter then I'd be aiming to get both module one and module two done in that week. Thumbs Up

craigbeal
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:36 - 22 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
craigbeal wrote:

You have to be careful, blowing your own trumpet, that you don't hurt yer back Wink

Wasn’t trying to show off just put across that you don’t need to split the tests up. Cool

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:38 - 22 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigbeal wrote:

Wasn’t trying to show off just put across that you don’t need to split the tests up. Cool

Appreciate the input. Really I'm not sure what to do. Is there like an online free manual for passing the mod 2 lol?

I don't mean learn how to ride. You can't do that off a bike. But things like the starting / stopping proceedures and the shoulder / mirror checks?

From what I understand, they want to see that you have those patterns down, so I can start drilling them on my 125, then I just have to get used to the weight of a bigger bike, but I don't think that will be too horrendous.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 05:47 - 23 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

26, so, you could have been on two wheels for a decade, and had a full-fat, Ridfe What Choo like 'A' entitl;ement for at least half that time.... IF you were 'so' bothered about getting the Ride-What-You-Like licence as soon as.... hmmm so whats the rush?
Old words of wisdom or you... RUSHIN', be FAST way to PAIN.. especially on a motorbike....
Slow down, enjoy the ride. You'll get there in the end.
And what';s the imperative for here?
A half decent 125 is as fast as plaything is 'legally' allowed to go in this country, anc you can illegally break enough laws and speed-limits with one without trying very hard, bigger bikes for the larger part, just let you break them faster.... and you ent got your licence yet.. just how quick you wanna loose it?
Slow down, chill, and DON'T RUSH!
Folk 'may' get the full-fat RWYL licence inside a week, maybe even 3 days, if everything goes right... whats the odds?
There's 3 parts to the test;
1 - Theory Hazard pep, computer game.
Has to be passed before you can book either of the hands on practicals, Mod 1 & Mod 2 and many schools require it done and passed before thy'll book you onto a course, so it don't hold up lessons.
Have you booked or done, or passed it yet?
As alluded, AFAIK, the theory pass cert sets the time table, as Mod 1 & 2 both have to be passed in the validity period of the same Theory / Haz pep cert... think that used to be 2 years, but check.
That 'should' give you plenty of leaway to book and do the two mods.
And its no walk in the park, and many suffer failing Mod 1, and suffer having the mandatory, cool down period before thyey can do Mod2. I think, its two weeks, and of you have pre-booked back-to back mods, if you fail mod1, you may loose your test fee in the mandatory period you have to cancel or re-book, and get the mod 1 in there too.

This begs suggestion that IF you insist on rushing, you risk rebook time and money if you eff-up a stage. And supports the Dont-Rush rule. If you do it one step at a time, an dont stack your eggs, it , may be a bit of a pizzer to think you 'might' have done it faster.... b-u-t, relieves some of the pressure to pass that's likely to make you fail... so DONT RUSH!

You have the luxury of time on your side' you are young... and you have waited this long before doing it, you cant be in 'that' much of a rush... And you are working abroad, you can book each stage, as its comes on the menu, each time you are home... and make that lag work for you rather than against...remember there's NO RUSH.

Talk to a school or five, he who paye the piper calls the tune.. get lessons to suit your time table, and get to the end game in the long run, least risk, no rush.... and enjoy the journey.

Muscle memory? WTF?!?!?!? The muscle that has to work here is the brain... so get it in gear, get ducks in a row, take a deep breath, relax, and let it happen as it may.. don't try and force it, and don't sweat the small stuff...

Nest of luck.. but make your own, you wont need it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 08:44 - 23 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
26, so, you could have been on two wheels for a decade, and had a full-fat, Ridfe What Choo like 'A' entitl;ement for at least half that time.... IF you were 'so' bothered about getting the Ride-What-You-Like licence as soon as.... hmmm so whats the rush?
Old words of wisdom or you... RUSHIN', be FAST way to PAIN.. especially on a motorbike....
Slow down, enjoy the ride. You'll get there in the end.
And what';s the imperative for here?
A half decent 125 is as fast as plaything is 'legally' allowed to go in this country, anc you can illegally break enough laws and speed-limits with one without trying very hard, bigger bikes for the larger part, just let you break them faster.... and you ent got your licence yet.. just how quick you wanna loose it?
Slow down, chill, and DON'T RUSH!
Folk 'may' get the full-fat RWYL licence inside a week, maybe even 3 days, if everything goes right... whats the odds?
There's 3 parts to the test;
1 - Theory Hazard pep, computer game.
Has to be passed before you can book either of the hands on practicals, Mod 1 & Mod 2 and many schools require it done and passed before thy'll book you onto a course, so it don't hold up lessons.
Have you booked or done, or passed it yet?
As alluded, AFAIK, the theory pass cert sets the time table, as Mod 1 & 2 both have to be passed in the validity period of the same Theory / Haz pep cert... think that used to be 2 years, but check.
That 'should' give you plenty of leaway to book and do the two mods.
And its no walk in the park, and many suffer failing Mod 1, and suffer having the mandatory, cool down period before thyey can do Mod2. I think, its two weeks, and of you have pre-booked back-to back mods, if you fail mod1, you may loose your test fee in the mandatory period you have to cancel or re-book, and get the mod 1 in there too.

This begs suggestion that IF you insist on rushing, you risk rebook time and money if you eff-up a stage. And supports the Dont-Rush rule. If you do it one step at a time, an dont stack your eggs, it , may be a bit of a pizzer to think you 'might' have done it faster.... b-u-t, relieves some of the pressure to pass that's likely to make you fail... so DONT RUSH!

You have the luxury of time on your side' you are young... and you have waited this long before doing it, you cant be in 'that' much of a rush... And you are working abroad, you can book each stage, as its comes on the menu, each time you are home... and make that lag work for you rather than against...remember there's NO RUSH.

Talk to a school or five, he who paye the piper calls the tune.. get lessons to suit your time table, and get to the end game in the long run, least risk, no rush.... and enjoy the journey.

Muscle memory? WTF?!?!?!? The muscle that has to work here is the brain... so get it in gear, get ducks in a row, take a deep breath, relax, and let it happen as it may.. don't try and force it, and don't sweat the small stuff...

Nest of luck.. but make your own, you wont need it.

I wish I had done it 10 years ago... but then, I also don't. 16 year old me was an idiot, he could have deaded himself 20 times over. 26 year old me might also dead himself, but probably slightly less likely to do so.

Regardless, this is the first point in my life I've ever had disposeable income. Which is pretty sad now that I think about it...

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:10 - 23 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
Nest of luck

https://c8.alamy.com/comp/A8HP27/red-die-in-a-birds-nest-A8HP27.jpg

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 63 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1