Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Viking (Stihl) garden shredder switch.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:37 - 21 Feb 2020    Post subject: Viking (Stihl) garden shredder switch. Reply with quote

The switch doesn't switch the shredder on. The fuse in the plug is OK. The telltale green light on the switch does not come on.

These are about £130 new, so I thought I'd get the back off and poke about in it. However, it looks as though it's glued up.

In the pics, the four "holes" you might think are for screws to go into are just blind holes in the plastic. The part that looks like a clip does not unclip.

It looks as though the back piece is a seperate piece to the rest. There's a gap around where a knife blade can be used to lever, and near where the wire goes through the black grommet, the halves do seperate a tiny amounyt as if it's not glued just there.

Any ideas about how to open it, without destroying it? Lever? Hacksaw? Some other way? What's in there?

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:08 - 21 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try pressing that label in the middle - might have a hole under it with a hidden screw.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:30 - 21 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
Try pressing that label in the middle - might have a hole under it with a hidden screw.

Great thought, I should have thought of that too. Unfortunately it seems there aren't any screws under there. Damn.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:16 - 22 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it have an RCD or other breaker device inside.

Can you smell if it has let it's smoke out?
Niff around the housing for electrical burning smell.

If so then the components on the PCB inside that doofur have failed.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:53 - 22 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

No, it's not smelly at all. I can't get into it to see what's there, maybe I should hacksaw around the back, but I don't want to damage anything in there. The box seems to be ABS. I did wonder whether there was condensation, so I could just leave it hanging up above the range for a week or so, that'd dry it out if it is wet.

It's a real pig. £130, for a switch!

The machine did blow a fuse in the plug a while ago, which I replaced, and it was OK again. I did wonder whether there was cable damage where the mains goes into the switch, but I can't get the cable out without opening the bloody box...

defblade
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:00 - 22 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, clearly it did go together as separate parts, so it will come apart again in some way Wink

If it's knackered anyway, you've got little to lose in getting forceful. If you say it lifts a little at one point, I'd start levering there, but don't be surprised if something snaps rather than the glue letting go. Otherwise, yes, a gentle hacksaw around the join will probably do it - it looks to me like there will be space between the casing and the switch itself.

I can also think of a couple of redneck bodges given that is just an on/off switch, but H&S may have something to say Wink

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:32 - 22 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another idea: It's definitely the switch that's broken?
I ask because over the last few years I'm replacing more and more electric motor start/run capacitors. You know the ones - usually screwed to the side of the motor and quite big.
Might be evil pixies in my shed or perhaps quality is dropping but they're easy and cheap to replace. Last one I did was for a 500 Watt bench grinder and the capacitor was £2.99 delivered.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:01 - 22 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you undo and move the grey gland out of the way you might be able to gain access or at least see what's inside.

Regarding the tell tale light, recently I had a battery charger that blew a fuse and at the same time took out one of the tell tales. Replacing the fuse made no difference, a bit of googling revealed that the diode needed to be working, without replacing it the charger would not operate.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:59 - 22 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
MCN wrote:

No, it's not smelly at all. I can't get into it to see what's there, maybe I should hacksaw around the back, but I don't want to damage anything in there. The box seems to be ABS. I did wonder whether there was condensation, so I could just leave it hanging up above the range for a week or so, that'd dry it out if it is wet.

It's a real pig. £130, for a switch!

The machine did blow a fuse in the plug a while ago, which I replaced, and it was OK again. I did wonder whether there was cable damage where the mains goes into the switch, but I can't get the cable out without opening the bloody box...

It is a 'Motor Start' device which controls current into the motor until it has reached it's full RPM. Some motors use a big capacitor to store a big chunk of electric to initiate rotation. Usually clamped to the side or very close to the motor to reduce current losses through wires.

There will be a PCB in there with resistors, capacitors diodes and cetera.

Contact Tripus for help and advice.

https://www.tripus.de/en/158.html
(Your starters Art No. is not listed on the website for switches/starters.)

They will tell you to stay the fcuk out of the guts (coz kittens).
Just tell them you're a maint. sparky and need a new switch.

I looked on their website. What a shower of cnuts.

That starter is probably a proprietary/MAO part that they clash together for the manufacturer of your shredder.

If you are not familiar with that sort of electrical repair then you might need to ask a local electrical engineer for advice.

And you already know that the cost/hour probably makes that path a bit redundant too.

And Tripus probably can't supply a switch they make for another OEM any cheaper than the OEM retail or trade price.

It's due to the agreement they have between OEMs and them. The parts they make for other OEMs belong to the other OEMs. Smile

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:47 - 22 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
It is a 'Motor Start' device which controls current into the motor until it has reached it's full RPM. Some motors use a big capacitor to store a big chunk of electric to initiate rotation. Usually clamped to the side or very close to the motor to reduce current losses through wires.

There will be a PCB in there with resistors, capacitors diodes and cetera.

Contact Tripus for help and advice.

That is interesting. Yes, it has a starting capacitor. The switch has only 5 connections, 2 to a safety interlock, one earth, and a live/neutral.

I wonder whether there are any other "motor start" devices I could substitute.

Edit: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Release-Woodwork-Metalwork-Machines-KEDU/dp/B01HR44QM4/ref=pd_sbs_60_5/260-6095572-2313066?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01HR44QM4&pd_rd_r=ae5cb66f-4109-4b0b-b326-89fbce8c2340&pd_rd_w=rRTC2&pd_rd_wg=S642U&pf_rd_p=96cae456-8d7a-4bc1-91c7-9b20b4dfd7c9&pf_rd_r=KDDER840J6ZV530FGW4C&psc=1&refRID=KDDER840J6ZV530FGW4C

I don't know.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:19 - 22 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could stick the capacitor for a washing machine on the motor.
I wouldn't have a clue about the connection though.
Maybe modern stuff uses PCB start circuits.
Capacitor starting is still a big jump on domestic supply.
We don't get a lot of power to homes in UK.
It's common in the US to have a domestic supply and a an 'industrial' supply to run a home-shop.
Or as Muricans say 'Their Shap'.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:13 - 25 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the grey plastic nut/gland wouldn't come away, because there's a nut inside the box. The black rubbery output side one prised out fairly easily, though.

Inside I could see a red-brown thing with "BR01-30-01-01" on it, which seems to be this (Nr 305.233):

https://www.tripus.de/en/Contactors-BR01-with-3-make-contacts-shopitem-531-4964-16865-158.html#

Anyway, I couldn't see anything holding the back on, so I knocked the tapered back of a carving knife along the little gap around the back to force it, and off it came, albeit with some damage to the internal plastic legs/clips that held it on.

There's a pressbutton on/off thing inside, behind the plastic on/off membrane in the housing, plus the red-brown switch BR01, plus am E-T-A "a00-00-p10" "13A" self-resetting thermal circuit breaker, which does not measure open circuit.

Can't see anything wrong. I suppose I'd better check the motor's capacitor. Apart from "It should not have a through circuit" not sure what to check.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:31 - 26 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

this looks similar..

https://www.toolstation.com/axiom-dol-starter/p95364?

The cap is used to create a phase shift in single phase supplies to get a rotating magnetic field (or something like that..) 3-phase supplies inherently have phase shift which can generate a rotating magnetic field and so do not have starting or running caps (probably).

Anyhow. I'd try the starter/switch above and if not dice it's probably the motor cap.. you may even be able to try and it an return to shop if no good in this instance.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:51 - 01 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. Thanks for the above link. However, I don't need it (the TEW11A6 from Toolstation "yet").

Having taken the thing apart, looked at its innards, wiggled things, clipped it back together, I connected it up, and the telltale came on. Sticking (for I was working in the kitchen...) a teaspoon down the interlock and securing the motor assembly back into the shredder's lower body, holding the whole thing down with my foot on the bottom stand, and testing, produced a dangerous although satisfactory result. It works. God knows why.

I have a nasty suspicion about that interlock, which although I did test before, I did not short completely, and enabling the thing does put out the green telltale.

Should this be found by someone "out there":

1) Check the fuse...
2) Remove the green top part of the machine. Clean out any accumulated material that might be stopping the green top section seating properly on the aluminium casting holding the cutters, put back together and re-test.
3) If that does not work, defeat the interlock by connecting the two (black) wires directly together, and re-test.
4) If that does not work, OR you want a replace replacement flex lead cable, prise the switch box apart. To do this you may be able to spring one of the sides of the box part with th on'off in it out, like pulling the outside of a cardboard box outwards, and prise the thing open with a screwdriver, being careful not to knacker components inside. Wiggle it all about, check the thermal overload, put it back together, fingers crossed.

When you fiddle about with this machine, be very careful, because the motor section is nastily andular and heavy, there's a big fat capacitor which could zap you, and if you test with the interlock disabled, screw the motor into the boottom part first and hold the whole lot down because you don't want a 3kW motor with shredding blades jumping about in your workshop (or kitchen).

If there's any need for a replacement internal switch part, the one fitted to a Belle mini mix (around 2002 vintage) seems to be the same one.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 3 years, 232 days between these two posts...

SmithAnderson
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:59 - 20 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be hesitant to go all-out with a hacksaw just yet. Maybe try gently prying it open with a flat-head screwdriver or a plastic opening tool in that gap you mentioned. Just take it slow and easy.

Forevergem
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:59 - 20 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this post is quite old, I'm hoping you've managed to solve the issue with your Viking garden shredder switch by now. I must admit, I'm not much of an expert on garden shredders myself. I recently moved into a house with a garden and I'm just starting to learn the ropes of gardening. In fact, my first priority was getting a nice outdoor furniture set to create a relaxing space in my garden. If you ever need a fantastic garden set, you can click here to explore the available options. Having a cozy space in your backyard for parties, barbecues, and just unwinding while enjoying nature on sunny days is absolutely amazing!
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1