Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Tracker help (yeah another one..)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:55 - 21 Feb 2020    Post subject: Tracker help (yeah another one..) Reply with quote

So motorcycle theft in the North East has gone to silly numbers. It's rife and some have been very close to home and I have a supermoto and I fear theft lots, so..

My bike - it's bare bones stuff and has almost no hidey holes for devices.
What trackers are out there?
Can you get sneaky little ones?
What would power it? Just thinking they could disconnect the main bike battery and I lose the tracking..
How long do trackers run for?
Are contract trackers (like a monthly fee) better or would a simple DIY sim one be OK for plod to recover it?
Prices?

There are other mentions of trackers in threads here but I'm after a more up to date list of ideas.
What is best please. I do need to do something now.
My local plod do seem to be recovering some bikes with trackers so it might help me.

Cheers!

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:31 - 22 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to fix one recently on a deliveroo scoot
I think it was a datatool contract £10 a month
Apparently if it moves outside specified areas they ring him
to check all's ok and he has an app to tell him its till where he left it
they also tell him when the battery is running low but oddly its not part of the app
which seems a bit crap.
I think they have internal batteries charged from the bike.

Apart from tearing off a panel and ripping wires off the ignition switch
the thief cut the antenna cable making it untrackable but fairly sure they rang him
and told him it had lost signal.

The major flaw I saw in respect to this scoot was the box and sat antenna was in plain sight
when the panel covering the ign switch and main electrics was removed.
This made it easy to defeat.

If fitting one to a bike, I'd say the box needs to be out of easy obvious reach but the antenna has to be able to pick up satellite signals.
One plastic layer doesn't seem to hamper it so it doesn't have to be out in the weather, just well concealed.

The geniuses at Foulups also fitted the immobiliser in plain sight too but the tea leaf didnt seem to notice that.They also put its led low down in the front indicator lens too.
I rerouted it to above the ign switch in the hope it will deter casual theives.
This also tells the rider its detected the fob and ready to go.

TLDR
If you cant hide the sat thing dont waste your money

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:44 - 22 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably better to invest in a thicker chain for that sort of bike Sad

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:49 - 22 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get trackers that look just like Relay's. bung it in the area all of the other relay's are, make it blend in. Not sure how good they are, but they're cheap enough to try out.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:06 - 22 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a cheap thing on my GSXR (had because I think it spat out somewhere on the M6). I shopped around a bit and got one that takes modern sims (I think it was tk104), many are 2g only and I couldn't be arsed trying to sort that out.

It was pretty good, battery powered (old Nokia style batteries came with spares and charger). I used to swap them around every 4 or 5 days. Send the thing a text and it would text me back a grid that was accurate enough. I lost mine because I wa a lazy pric and just glued it on. It was small enough to hide well and securely mounting would be easy, though if well hidden battery swaps would be a pain. It could also be wired in to take power from the bike, I didn't bother.

I bought mine on taobao for pennies. I see now they are on eBay and if you pay a bit of a premium some are offering access to proper online tracking, if I was going to do it again I think I'd do that, though keep in mind there will be an ongoing data cost on the sim then.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:23 - 22 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bike has two relays - one hung in the spaghetti wiring inside the tiny headlight cowl for the indicators and the other the other is the tiny starter one hung on the side of the frame with a (factory fit) rubber band. There is no relay tray as such and no room inside the headlight cowl for one more wire never mind a relay Sad

There are currently 4 ground anchors into reinforced concrete holding it using chains. Serious chains. Almax stuff will be a next stage with that lot. Has brake disc locks too.
The problem is - battery grinders. Bloody useful things but also very good for theft Sad

It's illegal to hang 240 volt bare copper wires like vines inside the bike shed. It's tempting though..

Probably the best place for hiding things on the bike would be under the fuel tank and along the frame. Some wiring harness travels that way and I reckon I could place something flat and heat shrink tubed along there. An aerial wire could be wrapped into the wiring harness too as a way of hiding it.

Bike theft up here appears to have no preferred styles. Anything is game. Most bikes were chained (but not to anything) outside peoples houses. The local bike I mentioned is the third bike she had stolen in two years. Twice outside the shopping centre she works at in Whitley Bay and this last one from her back garden.
Bikes appear to have been taken in a Transit type vehicle. Rumors hint to a gang based in the Darlington/Barnard Castle area.
Local plod are next to useless in all types of crime never mind bike theft.

wilbur
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:52 - 26 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one of these.

£60 but you do need to pay for the tracking which sticks another £60 a year on the price. Works fine, simple to fit. Reasonably easy to hide and has a backup battery.

https://www.rewiresecurity.co.uk/db2-self-install-diy-gps-tracker
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:05 - 26 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never like talking about vehicle security 'cos (A) You never know who you talking to & (B) You never know who's tab hanging.

Go ahead, tell the world & every scrote how best to steal your bike.

That said, they probably know a lot more than you do about how to go about stealing your bike. So why not ask them?

When I worked the police contract for vehicle recovery we thought we'd seen it all. from £250k Ferrari's left with the engine running outside a shop, to £250 Micra's aggressively hijacked in traffic queues.

Again, I don't like talking about vehicle security, but I can tell you that if they want to steal it they will & there's nothing you can do about it.

All you have to do is think about how to make it harder for them so they move onto the next one. I don't see how an invisible tracker helps with this.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:30 - 26 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use these now, various different models / sizes / battery life.

Not GPS - but there's a lot of Bluetooth devices in the world now and a lot of them automatically update you if they see your lost item.

https://www.thetileapp.com/en-gb/products

It does make me giggle that somewhere a thief is dobbing himself in via his own Bluetooth headphones🤣

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:35 - 26 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackButler wrote:

Again, I don't like talking about vehicle security, but I can tell you that if they want to steal it they will & there's nothing you can do about it.

All you have to do is think about how to make it harder for them so they move onto the next one. I don't see how an invisible tracker helps with this.

I think you miss the point. The tracker helps you get it back... THATS what you can do about it.

Noone is suggesting a tracker replaces normal security. It's simply there in case they do decide they are having it away.

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:54 - 26 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:

I think you miss the point. The tracker helps you get it back... THATS what you can do about it.

Noone is suggesting a tracker replaces normal security. It's simply there in case they do decide they are having it away.

Do you want it back?

On the basis that 99.9%* of the fukwits don't know how insewerence system works & end up taking a mahoosive loss on their investment . . . Do you actually want it back?

* (disregarding the X% of bikes that the owner is actively involved in the theft)

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:16 - 26 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackButler wrote:

Do you want it back?

What a daft question. Rolling Eyes

Yes.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:16 - 26 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some great things to be looking into there folks. Cheers!

Of course you will never stop theft. All you can do is deter them or slow them down. With tracking, my local plod are actually recovering stolen bikes up here. Yes of the many bikes I've had, it's one that would be welcome back.

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:19 - 26 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
JackButler wrote:

Do you want it back?

What a daft question. Rolling Eyes

Yes.

Why is it daft?

Over the years I dealt with 1000's of stolen/recovered vehicles & the majority of the owners don't want them back when reunited.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:56 - 26 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackButler wrote:

Why is it daft?

Over the years I dealt with 1000's of stolen/recovered vehicles & the majority of the owners don't want them back when reunited.

To be fair, when I recently helped the owner recover their bike (short version: it was abandoned in the works' car park) they weren't best pleased. The thieves had wrecked it trying to "hot wire" it. The insurance money would have been much simpler.

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 00:52 - 27 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the worst vehicle thefts I was involved in were the very desireable stuff, BMW M's, Audi RS's, Porsches, Overfinch's etc . . . Very high value but practical vehicles that can be used as everyday transport.

You cannot realistically steal these types of vehicle unless you have the key & whose got the key?

Very few of these are stolen by & I hate to use the word "joyriders". These are stolen by organised gangs & either stripped for a ringer or shipped out to the middle east within hours. The MO of these gangs is to burst into your home & grab the keys which are usually within 5 paces of your door. If you have time to respond, like your still up watching telly & not in bed, then unless you John Wick you're going to get your nose/jaw broken & the mother of all black eyes. These aren't trakky bottom wearing scumbag scrotes raising the cost of the next fix . . . These are hard men !

Nobody tells you this, especially the nice salesman at the dealership.

99.9% of these vehicles will be fitted with trackers, just try to insure one without. So you ring the Police, those upstanding members of our community sworn to uphold the law & what do you get?

You get a crime reference number like every other fukker.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 10:47 - 28 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
I use these now, various different models / sizes / battery life.

Not GPS - but there's a lot of Bluetooth devices in the world now and a lot of them automatically update you if they see your lost item.

https://www.thetileapp.com/en-gb/products

It does make me giggle that somewhere a thief is dobbing himself in via his own Bluetooth headphones🤣

I don't think that works quite the way you think it does.
In fact according to the companies literature it only works if the thief has the tile app installed on their phone.
So unless you can convince 1+ in 10 of the population to install the app you really can't use it as a tracker.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:10 - 28 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackButler wrote:
Some of the worst vehicle thefts I was involved in were the very desireable stuff, BMW M's, Audi RS's, Porsches, Overfinch's etc . . . Very high value but practical vehicles that can be used as everyday transport.

You cannot realistically steal these types of vehicle unless you have the key & whose got the key?

Very few of these are stolen by & I hate to use the word "joyriders". These are stolen by organised gangs & either stripped for a ringer or shipped out to the middle east within hours. The MO of these gangs is to burst into your home & grab the keys which are usually within 5 paces of your door. If you have time to respond, like your still up watching telly & not in bed, then unless you John Wick you're going to get your nose/jaw broken & the mother of all black eyes. These aren't trakky bottom wearing scumbag scrotes raising the cost of the next fix . . . These are hard men !

Nobody tells you this, especially the nice salesman at the dealership.

99.9% of these vehicles will be fitted with trackers, just try to insure one without. So you ring the Police, those upstanding members of our community sworn to uphold the law & what do you get?

You get a crime reference number like every other fukker.

A timely counter:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-51657471

dynax
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:20 - 28 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

And all they will get is a fucking slap on the wrist and a don't do it again, what they really need is a fucking bullet in the head Twisted Evil

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:34 - 28 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

dynax wrote:
Easy-X wrote:

And all they will get is a fucking slap on the wrist and a don't do it again, what they really need is a fucking bullet in the head Twisted Evil

Why waste a bullet when baseball bats are reusable?

#GretaFriendly
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:11 - 28 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:

I don't think that works quite the way you think it does.
In fact according to the companies literature it only works if the thief has the tile app installed on their phone.
So unless you can convince 1+ in 10 of the population to install the app you really can't use it as a tracker.

They also have agreements in place with other bluetooth device manufacturers. So anyone with a set of Bose / Sennheiser / skullcandy headphones for example will update the tiles location when they walk past.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/01/07/tile-partners-with-ble-chip-makers-to-bring-its-location-tracking-technology-to-more-products/

https://www.thetileapp.com/en-gb/partners

With the greatest of respect - I am using it as a tracker and it works well, so telling me I cant is just wrong Smile

Yes if they take it to a completely rural location with no public access then you will struggle, but you can see the history - so you can track the path to the point it disappeared.

Mine gets updated every few minutes by people just walking past.

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:30 - 28 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

I saw the news report literally a few hours after my rant. Thank you, it proves me right.

At what point did Essex Constabulary consider it enough of a problem & set about doing the job that we pay them (very well) for?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 58 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1