View previous topic : View next topic  

How do you carry your chain?
In the topbox
25%
 25%  [ 3 ]
In your panier box
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
Tied somewhere around your bike (back of seat or something)
33%
 33%  [ 4 ]
I wear it around my head like a turban (go figure)
33%
 33%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 12

WreckTangle
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:37 - 22 Feb 2020    Post subject: Best way to store bike Chain Reply with quote

Hi guys. Here is a simple question, but I am very interested in your answers.

How do you lot carry your chain around on your bikes (if you have a chain)

I have just acquired a new big ass chain that weighs about the weight of the moon, as I have got a new bike.

I know how to use it, but for the love of god, I cannot figure out how to carry the damn thing around on my bike, apart from tie it to the back of my seat (which looks kind of weird) or wear it around my torso (like a sash)

what's your thoughts?

Last edited by WreckTangle on 19:29 - 22 Feb 2020; edited 2 times in total

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:47 - 22 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bungee it to the rack or seat, depending on bike. I usually use a fuckoff big D-Lock anyway, unless I know it's a dodgy or "heavily urbanised" area.

https://www.squirelocks.co.uk/bikelok/product/eiger-green

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:45 - 22 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If ste doesn't vote turban I think I'll feel dissapointed.

On the passenger seat using a Kriega with a Rok strap over it for good measure. I started out with a cargo net after the bag kept hitting me in the back at speed after going over a few humps, but that got time consuming so a signular Rok strap seems to be doing a good enough job so far and decreases the time it takes to get going. I line the bottom of the bag with a sweater to take up space and to make it easier to ratchet down with the Kriega straps.

The above method has saw me good for a 2.0 meter 9 kg (or thereabouts) 16 mm prag on the daily, plus some more.

Wouldn't go pannier because uneven weight during corner, unless you wish to carry the same on the other side.

Wouldn't go topbox because not central weight, and even more important with such heavy objects.

Visit your local sportsdirect and get the cheapest bag you can get that has the least amount of free space with the chain inside and use some Rok straps on the pillion seat: two seconds to undo and re-ratchet.

dynax
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:57 - 22 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually carry mine in one of the panniers Thumbs Up

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:12 - 22 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

With careful packing I can fit my chain and lock under the pillion seat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:02 - 22 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The almax (on long term loan from ste) weighs as much as a medium sized child so it sits on the pillion seat and is bungeed with several ones into place.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:10 - 22 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attach one end to the exhaust and drag it.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:00 - 22 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://s2.n4g.com/news/1922167_3.jpg

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:44 - 22 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need to lug 2kg of iron around with you then plan to have to replace the thing you carry it in or use some sort of reinforced thing.
They will eat through most tail-packs in a few months. You could do chain in a bag and in a bag.

They are a bastirt to have to manage. But cheaper than walking home if someone lifts your bike.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:13 - 23 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
If you need to lug 2kg of iron around with you then plan to have to replace the thing you carry it in or use some sort of reinforced thing.

That got me wondering whether my chain was straining the underseat storage but I've checked for damage and there is none. 10lbs of sleeved chain measuring just under a metre in length, it's an old Oxford Monster, I think. The padlock wasn't with it though. Embarassed Found it in the garage.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:01 - 23 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sometimes wear it like a sash if I'm feeling lazy, just wrap it round and padlock it on.
But its easier to carry it in a rucksack.
I used to put it in the topbox (if I had a bike that had one), but topboxes aren't a good look on a Harley and panniers are for girls, and get in the way of filtering in traffic.

But if the rucksack is full of (for example) catfood ( Laughing ) then at least I know I *can* carry it like a sash, cos a lot of people are nervous about falling off and doing themselves an injury with it like that. But hey, if you're gonna fall off the risk of injury anyway is six of one, half dozen of the other. I'm a fatalist, so sue me.

I tried to wear it round my waist once, thinking I was fat enough that it would stay put.
Big mistake.
Laughing

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:34 - 24 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't some people leave the locks in place at there destination*? It would mean investing to two (or maybe more) set-ups but it could be worth the expense.

*Or doe the thievin' urchins cut of the locks to get the chain?

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Royski
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:02 - 24 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Don't some people leave the locks in place at there destination*? It would mean investing to two (or maybe more) set-ups but it could be worth the expense.

In Leeds city centre, someone comes and cuts off the locks and removes the chains every so often.

I'm told it's the council, rather than a really hardcore tribe of Borrowers.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:10 - 24 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just stick it in the topbox. I've been doing that for years, when I can be bothered to take a chain, never had a problem.

Or even in a pannier, that weight isn't really going to have any great effect on your riding

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:53 - 24 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

Leave the lock.
Scrotta see lock and can plan how to attack it when a bike is secured by the lock.

Portable grinder or power-cropper opens any padlock though (almost).
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 62 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1