Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Coronavirus -archive

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 170, 171, 172  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:44 - 01 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Genuine question. Is there much travel between China and Taiwan? I thought they just shouted abuse at one another across the Taiwan Strait with giant loudspeakers.

Loads (though direct travel has a patchy history), the whole hatred thing is overplayed and seasonal. When the mainland government needs to divert attention they whip up some hatred for Taiwan/Japan/Korea/(insert country making imagined slight here). China isn't stupid it's doing it's best to tie Taiwan in economically.

It's also a weird animosity as one of the political parties in Taiwan views themselves as Chinese (but the legitimate China) so doesn't want to be an independent nation. This means many in Taiwan dont actually want independence but for one China to unify under their flag, "Republic of China".

It gets quite hypocritical overseas. My wife and her mainland friends will become very heated and aggressive when discussing the status of the "rebel province". Yet they have friends from Taiwan and when they are present the issue is not broached.

The Chinese propaganda machine is as active and effective overseas as in country so you will see spikes of Taiwan hatred basically mirror the mainland.

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 09:10 - 01 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:

It's also a weird animosity as one of the political parties in Taiwan views themselves as Chinese (but the legitimate China) so doesn't want to be an independent nation. This means many in Taiwan dont actually want independence but for one China to unify under their flag, "Republic of China".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PioF9xT3HE

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:07 - 01 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though I am currently travelling on the tube looking like a jedi ninja grannie, I am pretty much of the "more people die annually from ordinary flu" school of thought.

If it was Ebola I would be a LOT more concerned.

I'm vaguely worried about my mum who is 80 and lives in a city with a high oriental population and a lot of international travellers coming and going, she's not especially frail but if she caught it, what can I do from over here? What could I even do if I lived there?

Fuck all.

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:26 - 01 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Even though I am currently travelling on the tube looking like a jedi ninja grannie, I am pretty much of the "more people die annually from ordinary flu" school of thought.

If it was Ebola I would be a LOT more concerned.

I'm vaguely worried about my mum who is 80 and lives in a city with a high oriental population and a lot of international travellers coming and going, she's not especially frail but if she caught it, what can I do from over here? What could I even do if I lived there?

Fuck all.

Not that I ever gave it much thought, but I have always known that you don't actually work in healthcare in any capacity beyond a minimum wage "carer".

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:49 - 01 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pass the popcorn
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:05 - 01 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackButler wrote:

Not that I ever gave it much thought, but I have always known that you don't actually work in healthcare in any capacity beyond a minimum wage "carer".

The healthcare system certainly needs people who care Smile

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:05 - 02 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

TLDR

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_flu

"The death toll is estimated to have been 40 million to 50 million, and possibly as high as 100 million, making it one of the deadliest epidemics in human history."

wiki.

***MCN rakes out Chinky-esque face mask.***

and....

"World War I (often abbreviated as WWI or WW1), also known as the First World War or the Great War, was a global war originating in Europe that lasted from 28 July 1914 to 11 November 1918. Contemporaneously described as "the war to end all wars",[7] it led to the mobilisation of more than 70 million military personnel, including 60 million Europeans, making it one of the largest wars in history.[8][9] It is also one of the deadliest conflicts in history,[10] with an estimated nine million combatants and seven million civilian deaths as a direct result of the war, while resulting genocides and the resulting 1918 influenza pandemic caused another 50 to 100 million deaths worldwide.[11]"

Viruses rule this planet. Cool

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:15 - 02 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manatee county gives a warm welcome to Covid19 and hopes it enjoys wintering over in Florida...
I wonder what happens if you get manflu and Covid19 at the same time, just arsekin for a friend?

Spookily enough, not only does it look like I'm about to go down with some nasty flu like virus that my stepdaughter (dirty little bitch) was spreading liberally around (-ve test for the newest global deathkill virus) but my pharmacy has been dicking me around for the last week saying they can't get one of my meds, which ran out three days ago...

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:52 - 02 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
my pharmacy has been dicking me around for the last week saying they can't get one of my meds, which ran out three days ago...

"Around 88 percent of the active pharmaceutical ingredients used in drugs for the US market were manufactured overseas in 2018, according to the FDA"

"Around 20% of pharmaceutical building blocks come from China"

Fingers crossed this supply side shortage gets sorted before panic buying really kicks off.

Was in Sainsburys today and they had sold out of hand wash and sanitary products. Probably panic buying over the weekend and no Monday delivery scheduled.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:17 - 02 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Media frenzy and fake news on social media will drive the panic and irrational thinking; this will probably cause more damage than the virus . If you get it not a great deal you can do and the main preventative measures are what everyone should be doing anyway (and that you get taught as a kid to do)

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:23 - 02 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
Media frenzy and fake news on social media will drive the panic and irrational thinking; this will probably cause more damage than the virus . If you get it not a great deal you can do and the main preventative measures are what everyone should be doing anyway (and that you get taught as a kid to do)

The gene pool is needing a paddling anyway.

Cut down on the queues on the motorways, supermarket checkouts and at the bar.

I'm all for it.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:31 - 02 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone with medical contacts locally has been advised it's so infectious that 90% of the UK population will have had it by the end of the year.
Trying to close down cities will barely make any difference, but there is still a remote chance of keeping it at a manageable level in 100s if we can get on top of it the next month or so.
Some other parts of the world are going to be a never ending supply of new cases for years. Vaccination of some kind is the only real answer.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:58 - 02 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hold on. Are you fcukers telling me that Corona beer is NOT a vaccine to the virus. Shocked

I have a fridge full of sh1t beer that has no useful effect other than to get me sh1tfaced. Crying or Very sad

Better not get Ebola then.

https://www.thepoke.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/corona.png

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 00:07 - 03 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concensus reached & agreed in t'pub sunday dinner, we're all jumping in the car & off to the first UK hotspot that appears. That way we'll get a nice warm hospital bed with lots of hot soup, nurses & machines that go beep.

You lot will get the camp beds in the marquee on the local rec'.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:16 - 03 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:

Agree that the media will drive the panic. This is their bread & butter.

Panic buying could become a self fulfilling prophecy, because the supply starts to be an issue (manufacture and logistics) and the demand is an issue (increased buying due to worries or prep for not going out).
So it's probably going to happen, unless someone announces a cure within the next few weeks or the infection numbers drop off. Neither of which seems likely currently.

Washing hands and wearing masks almost seems pointless. Obviously washing hands is something everyone should do (but if anywhere is like the toilets at work, most don't bother). But the infection rates were very high in tower blocks that were sealed. The news its spread via aerosol and this includes "gaseous exchange" means simply washing hands isn't enough.

The focusing example is South Korea, where 81% of 1900 Church members were confirmed to have the virus!
Close confinement, zero containment and over 80% got it.

The Diamond Princess was another enclosed space, but they initiated some vague attempt at containment / isolation (although apparently a bad job)
3711 passengers and crew. 705 infected (19%). 6 dead (0.85%)

I don't know how many are still considered 'severe'. The number of deaths may likely increase, plus passengers are in various stages of quarantine, 69 crew only just began 28 days on Saturday.
But still a death rate of 0.85% is promising when compared to 3.4% form China and 4.4% Iran (this in itself was 10% a week ago).

The Diamond Princess shows what even moderate containment can do. A significant drop on 81% infection (Korea) rate down to 19% for the cruise ship.

So trying to keep away from crowded places seems a sensible thing to do for a while. Probably more effective than relying on washing hands or wearing a mask.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:47 - 03 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you get it more than once?

I'm no medical person but if someone has it and recovers, doesn't their body make antibodies that can be used to make vaccines?

As for the cruise ship, if the AC was running the air would have been recirculated around the ship many times. Even if it wasn't running and the system on outside air you would still get some recirculation as none of the fan flaps are totally sealable on board a ship. They aren't designed to be.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:56 - 03 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

I'm no medical person but if someone has it and recovers, doesn't their body make antibodies that can be used to make vaccines?

As for the cruise ship, if the AC was running the air would have been recirculated around the ship many times. Even if it wasn't running and the system on outside air you would still get some recirculation as none of the fan flaps are totally sealable on board a ship. They aren't designed to be.

I thought it weird when 'they' were first talking about the quarantined cruise ships, media were reporting that the onboard a/c wasn't responsible for spreading the virus. The only way that could happen would be if each cabin had it's own independent system, images of pigs and flying crossed my mind.

As for getting reinfected, you are right but once it's done the rounds around the globe a few times and morphed into different strains then no such luck.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:19 - 03 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taiwan has been talked about, but what's the situation in Hong Kong.

Maybe China would approve if the rebellious little colony got a good donking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:48 - 03 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.facebook.com/iamRucka/videos/205521917361711/

Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:36 - 03 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Yes and no...

You might not get the original strain but viruses tend to mutate quickly so next year you get infected with Covid-20 Smile

sensi5446
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:35 - 03 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

went to costco manchester today to pick up some supplies for the company. They were totally sold out of several items, one being toilet roll of all brands(they stock 3 including own brand)

I asked at the till and the lady said they have had a massive increase in sales since saturday because of panic buying and have sold out of toilet roll 3 times this week. They have a delivery tomorrow but think it will be sold out by lunch time.

sensi5446
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:35 - 03 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

went to costco manchester today to pick up some supplies for the company. They were totally sold out of several items, one being toilet roll of all brands(they stock 3 including own brand)

I asked at the till and the lady said they have had a massive increase in sales since saturday because of panic buying and have sold out of toilet roll 3 times this week. They have a delivery tomorrow but think it will be sold out by lunch time.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:56 - 03 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensi5446 wrote:

Conspiracy! The papers all say "fever, dry cough and shortness of breath" when all these people know the truth: Coronavirus makes you shit yourself to death Shocked

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:05 - 03 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
all these people know the truth: Coronavirus makes you shit yourself to death Shocked

We Found 28 Studios With "Shit Yourself To Death"

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:07 - 03 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

It's possible. Coronaviruses are a tyoe of RNA virus and RNA viruses have a much higher mutation rate than DNA viruses. If it mutates then the antibodies a previously infected person carries may be ineffective against the mutated strain.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 48 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 170, 171, 172  Next
Page 3 of 172