Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Coronavirus -archive

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 170, 171, 172  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:01 - 28 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

- wrote:
...there have now been several deaths of people as young as 21 in the last 24hrs, busting the myth that Millennials can cough in the face of adversity.

There was an interesting report on the radio a few days ago suggesting that countries with high numbers of young vapers could expect higher mortality rates in the young but everything is up in the air regarding predictions as there is almost no research data available for the effects of vaping on immature lungs.
I don't know what it's like in the UK but the media frenzy reporting on breathing problems in kids who vape, which took off like a rocket last year (or was it the year before? Thinking ) has been noticeably absent while they had Trump/election/brexit/virus reporting to stir up.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:24 - 28 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems it can have quite a nasty effect on even the fittest individuals:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/africa/52010616

And yet some are asymptomatic. Where's the pattern? Older folks, at risk. Definite pre-existing health issue, at risk. Beyond that?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:35 - 28 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
- wrote:
...there have now been several deaths of people as young as 21 in the last 24hrs, busting the myth that Millennials can cough in the face of adversity.

There was an interesting report on the radio a few days ago suggesting that countries with high numbers of young vapers could expect higher mortality rates in the young but everything is up in the air regarding predictions as there is almost no research data available for the effects of vaping on immature lungs.
I don't know what it's like in the UK but the media frenzy reporting on breathing problems in kids who vape, which took off like a rocket last year (or was it the year before? Thinking ) has been noticeably absent while they had Trump/election/brexit/virus reporting to stir up.

I read something somewhere about the effects of the tiny droplets being the exact same cause of problems some worker are protected from in certain industries.

I think the fact that they are known as a Pussie Pipe should be enough to discourage there use. 😂

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:39 - 28 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idiot and the virus.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/27/trump-narcissism-american-blood-coronavirus

There's a brief point made in this article referring the The POTUS ego.

It was made glaringly obvious what his motives are when he rounded on a journalist for asking a question he didn't like.
Rather than ignore it he decided to fite in front of world news.
He's supposed to be making decisions about dealing with a pandemic but his ego drives him.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:01 - 28 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than spend two minutes googling I thought I'd ask here, there must be plenty of BCFers stuck at home and willing to do my research while I work. Laughing

So, asymptomatic cases.
If one catches the virus but remains asymptomatic does this mean that their body does not reject the infection, do they, therefore, not build up antibodies and thus become super spreaders?*

*My biology knowledge is crap when it comes to the acquiring of antibodies.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:04 - 28 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you turn into the virus a bit like this Indian policeman.

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpsprodpb/3A11/production/_111456841_india.jpg

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:47 - 28 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

New cases is up again, I see. Deaths is riz quite a lot too, 181. Oh dear.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:56 - 28 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kill count is doubling every two or three days.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:12 - 28 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

- wrote:

Or maybe he's sick of the left leaning media lying about him, which they've been found out to be doing a lot of late? A recent example was them Twisting Trumps words to make him sound like he was calling the Chinese Virus a hoax. He said nothing of the sort, but people fell for it.

The media is so corrupt now, they seem to be able to get away with anything and are shaping society more than a government can and unfortunately, there are a growing number of lefties who lap up this anti Trump propaganda without question. It sells papers.

Perhaps there is bias towards him politically. US polictics is not my bag baby but no matter what, the man orates like a fucking edjit.

'I don't know exactly how were gunna beat this virus but I wanna tell ya, it's gonna be great.
We have great people doing great things in great big places some where great.'

In other words, he is splashing in the pool like a drowning man.

He is not the leader the people need. And the people that need him most think he is great. Pity. ☹
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:01 - 28 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abandoning his allies on a whim is doing a good job?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:45 - 28 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
Rather than spend two minutes googling I thought I'd ask here, there must be plenty of BCFers stuck at home and willing to do my research while I work. Laughing

So, asymptomatic cases.
If one catches the virus but remains asymptomatic does this mean that their body does not reject the infection, do they, therefore, not build up antibodies and thus become super spreaders?*

*My biology knowledge is crap when it comes to the acquiring of antibodies.

In a few years time, when all the research is done, we'll probably look back on this and go "what was all the fuss about?"

Whether some people (beyond "underlying health conditions") are either laid low by the virus or otherwise breeze through it might just be down to something as simple as blood type or racial genetics (like lactose intolerance.)

Asymptomatic carriers as a general concept are still not fully understood but I suspect it's because the infection has taken hold somewhere non-vital where, while not successful, the virus can maintain some equilibrium but still be contagious.

When I started reading about The Black Death I was quite surprised it came in three forms: the traditional skin lesions (ring-a-ring-a-roses) from flea bites but also lung and blood infections.

For Corvid-19 it has been reported that some people just lose their sense of smell but are otherwise unaffected - the virus has taken a hold in the nasal passages but got no further, no sore throat, no pneumonia. They would still be infectious from the odd random sneeze but, of course, we've all been told that's not one of the main symptoms Rolling Eyes

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:47 - 28 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
New cases is up again, I see. Deaths is riz quite a lot too, 181. Oh dear.

New cases will continue to rise, even more as testing increases, so, new cases count, is not an overly useful statistic. It may seem harsh, but even today's death rise isn't likely to be the worse it gets before easing off, it is however, still relatively low.

Ideally, we need a public test for anti bodies, and some way those with anti bodies can be easily identified, as, they can pretty safely be let back into the community, and, back to work, help lessen the effect on the economy, and, thus, hopefully, lessening the inevitable period of austerity that will follow once this has all blown over.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:07 - 28 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just dropped in to say I'm still alive and kicking and at the moment making loads of cash from C19.

I've been a busy boy working my bollocks off on the courier circuit.

The only Couriers in London working are middle aged men who ride proper motorcycles.

The Millennials decided not to work so Generation X is doing the work.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:27 - 28 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw a report on the news in which a Russian woman was queueing to get into a church, claiming that it was impossible to catch the virus in a church.
Apparently she was a doctor.

I predict massive loss of life in the old USSR.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 00:07 - 29 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
No we won't not until they either shut the tube down completely or restrict numbers in the stations and per carriage / platform. WHich either means more trains .... or less people.

or more bikes,free monkey bikes for everyone.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-JM0PpRmGh3w/TqlSy6oWKZI/AAAAAAAAA1M/84kKL_DiHbE/s1600/Chimp_rides_bike.gif

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:12 - 29 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Courier265 wrote:

The Millennials decided not to work so Generation X is doing the work.
Jesus, that Billy Idol is always falling off his bike though!

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:18 - 29 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
I just saw a report on the news in which a Russian woman was queueing to get into a church, claiming that it was impossible to catch the virus in a church.
Apparently she was a doctor.

I predict massive loss of life in the old USSR.

I saw that same report earlier today!

Meanwhile in America... Spring Break.

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1240371160078000128?s=20

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:23 - 29 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been sent this, make of it what you will,
Spreading the virus?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:43 - 29 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugeye_bob wrote:
Been sent this, make of it what you will,
Spreading the virus?

No. Just run of the mill stealing stuff from unlocked cars.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:11 - 29 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:

So, asymptomatic cases.
If one catches the virus but remains asymptomatic does this mean that their body does not reject the infection, do they, therefore, not build up antibodies and thus become super spreaders?

Doesn't seem to be the case with this one (yet), although it can happen with other viruses. In fact, it can happen with other types of coronavirus.

Broadly speaking, for a carrier state to occurr with a viral infection, the disease needs to find part of the body where the immune system can't reach it. The classic example is the chickenpox virus which lodges in nerve fibres and can reappear at a later stage as shingles. HIV is another which hides within the immune cells themselves.

It's one reason why they were worried about finding this strain of coronavirus in faeces because some parts of the gut are quite well "hidden" from the immune system. Other types of coronavirus in other species can have quite a prolonged faecal shedding period. In fairness though, this isn't as big a problem in humans on the whole because we don't lick one anothers arses quite as much and many of us even wash our hands after going to the toilet.

I wouldn't have said that being asymptomatic means you didn't form an adequate immune response. It can mean your immune system was already on top of the job and stomped on it fast. Its certainly being recognised that if your immune system is already activated (by, say a normal cold), some non-specific mechanisms are already ramped up and ready to go and the specific mechanisms are already out there looking for something to attack.

We've seen this in my field recently where you vaccinate an animal for one viral disease and it gives a significant protective effect when they are challenged by a totally different virus which the vaccine shouldn't really work against.

Can also work against you with some viruses. Almost all of the symptoms are as a result of the immune system attacking the virus rather than the damage the virus does in itself. This was seen during the post WW1 influenza epidemic where it particularly killed the fittest people by causing something called a "cytokine storm" as part of the immune response. The young and elderly were less badly affected. Doesn't look lke that's happening here though.

Another feature of coronaviruses is they can undergo point mutations. We se this all the time in cats with a diease called Feline Infectious Peritonitis. Most cats contract a mild coronavirus of the gut at some point and show few, if any symptoms. In an unlucky few, it mutates to a highly virulent form that almost always kills them.

There is some talk of there being two sub-types of the COV19 virus. One causing milder symptoms than the other. It's not clear if there are two different strains going about or if some of them are undergoing a similar mutation to cause more virulent disease. If there are two strains, the next question is does having the mild form protect you from the severe form?

In any case, using a live RNA virus for a vaccine is not a fantastic idea due to that mutation risk. It's why an effective vaccine will take a while. They will almost certainly need to splice a bit of COV19 genetic material into a more stable virus that can't multiply in humans to make it trigger the immune system and show it parts of the COV19 bug. Then test it to make sure it doesn't cause any unexpected effects.

I do hope they are talking to veterinary virologists. they've been actively and intensely studying feline coronavirus for decades.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:41 - 29 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

- wrote:
Easy-X wrote:
Thinks we’ll look back on this and shrug :

Give over.

Have you seen footage of Italy? That’s us in 2 weeks.

Thanks very much for misquoting me Thumbs Up Context is everything. (Scottish legal precedents do not automatically apply to England.)

Mr. Stinkwheel (or is it Dr. Stinkwheel?) that's about the most sense anyone's made in the 6 months of this fiasco Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 21 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 170, 171, 172  Next
Page 37 of 172