Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Harley-Davidson Pan America

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
FFA91 This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:50 - 03 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, if you could just forward me $20 to the following PayPal account I'll get straight on it!

getfucked@nofuckingchance.com

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:23 - 03 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste will fill out your survey for you.

Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:15 - 03 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Harley Davidson Pan America.

A wondrously beautiful bike that will take the adventure market by storm. Not. Puke

https://cdn.motor1.com/images/mgl/Gw8eZ/s1/2021-harley-davidson-pan-america.jpg

You have your work cut out to get that effectively marketed except as a toy to frighten babies.

FFA91
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:56 - 03 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
The Harley Davidson Pan America.

A wondrously beautiful bike that will take the adventure market by storm. Not. Puke

https://cdn.motor1.com/images/mgl/Gw8eZ/s1/2021-harley-davidson-pan-america.jpg

You have your work cut out to get that effectively marketed except as a toy to frighten babies.

I've had a little look through some of the posts about Harley and I'm quite surprised with the response to the brand tbh. I don't know an awful lot about bikes, but I always thought that Harley were quite well regarded.

It's quite interesting to see otherwise actually.
FFA91 This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:45 - 03 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'll find it's more polite to introduce yourself and make yourself known before diving straight in with a survey and expecting people on this forum to do your homework for you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:50 - 03 Mar 2020    Post subject: Re: Harley-Davidson Pan America Reply with quote

FFA91 wrote:
I have been tasked with helping HD to effectively market one of their new bikes.

So you're spamming forums with the link to some shitty survey?

What do HD think about this?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:39 - 03 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were working for Indian it's a nice tactic to alienate people away from HD bikes, a shill within a shill... if you will Wink

FFA91
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:08 - 03 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am really sorry, I thought that the community of bikers was a lot more friendly than the vibe I’m currently getting. I mean, I get it, I’ve come from nowhere and asked for 5 minutes if that of your time.

I also thought that my little intro came across as friendly, sorry if it didn’t. What more do you want to know about me? I’m in the 25 - 30 age bracket, I’m female, I don’t own or ride a bike, but I have considered it in the past. I actually really like the Triumph Bonneville Bobber.

I came to a forum because I thought it was a great way to get information from people who are passionate about their hobby. I mean, if someone asked me to fill in a survey related to what kind of guitar I play, I most definitely wouldn’t respond in the way some of you have.

I don’t actually work for Harley, so I don’t think they would mind. I’ve been given a brief from the head of the South West as part of a university module I am doing. And what I have asked for is just simple market research, all companies do this in one form or another. Something to add and support the ideas, strategies and tactics I propose.

Again, apologies for getting my stereotypes wrong and imposing on your world.

I’ll be sure to speak to you guys in the future when I buy bike myself.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:19 - 03 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I filled your survey in.i hope you enjoy the contrary answers I gave.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:34 - 03 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

FFA91 wrote:
And what I have asked for is just simple market research

Research your target audience first. Find any post here from a first time poster asking for a survey to be filled out, you won't be at all surprised at the reception.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:39 - 03 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You seem like a polite and intelligent individual so I'll take the time to explain...

While open to all this forum is mostly UK- or at least, Euro- (bad word right now) centric. That means you've just entered into the land of the cynic. Boundless American optimism will avail you not! Low level spam, which includes unannounced surveys, are treated with scorn and suspicion. Motives are questioned generally it ends badly.

You could probably be a member on here for a decade or so and then, all of a sudden, put up a simple poll and be treated with the same derision. That's because everyone here knows that surveys are, to use the technical term, bollox.

Better to start with "Hi, I'm thinking of getting into bikes but I really fancy a Harley..." people on this side of the pond appreciate wit. You'd end up with some excellent anecdotal evidence but unfortunately nothing you can mash into a graph on page 1 under the brief.

I think it boils down to putting people in boxes. To defy definition is to be British...

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:02 - 03 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

FFA91 wrote:
what I have asked for is just simple market research, all companies do this in one form or another. Something to add and support the ideas, strategies and tactics I propose.

In one form or another.

Good companies don't do market research using surveys that have been written by someone who has no knowledge or experience of their products.
FFA91 wrote:
I’ve been given a brief from the head of the South West as part of a university module I am doing.

You were given the brief by someone who is the head of Harley Davidson South West or you were given it by someone at marketing [sic], advertising and branding at the University of Gloucestershire?

FFA91
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:30 - 03 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
FFA91 wrote:
what I have asked for is just simple market research, all companies do this in one form or another. Something to add and support the ideas, strategies and tactics I propose.

In one form or another.

Good companies don't do market research using surveys that have been written by someone who has no knowledge or experience of their products.

FFA91 wrote:
I’ve been given a brief from the head of the South West as part of a university module I am doing.

You were given the brief by someone who is the head of Harley Davidson South West or you were given it by someone at marketing [sic], advertising and branding at the University of Gloucestershire?

Surveys are used all the time, in various forms, how do you think big companies gather statistical data that supports the product or service they are offering? Companies don’t just bring out products because they want to. Though that could be argued with some companies.

This isn’t something that I have to do, but its something that I thought would help me understand the biker community a little more... All I think now is that bikers are actually rude and obnoxious. Kinda like the HD stereotype already.

I understand that an adventure bike is vastly different to HD’s traditional hog style bike. I just wanted to understand whether the low performance of HD in the UK is partly to do with the limited range in types of bikes they offer.

We were actually given a brief by an employee of HD who heads the South West division. HD have used UoG for several years now, and have used students research and proposals in their campaigns in the past.

It’s interesting, because this is the only forum where I’ve been treated with such hostility...

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:46 - 03 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the hd typical rider is an older professional.

Doctor, solicitor, accountant, engineer....

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:54 - 03 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

FFA91 wrote:
Surveys are used all the time, in various forms, how do you think big companies gather statistical data that supports the product or service they are offering? Companies don’t just bring out products because they want to. Though that could be argued with some companies.

There are various large market research companies who gather relevant and useful information for other companies. They pay the people involved in filling out surveys and providing valuable information. Basically, if you want data that's at least half decent, you're going to have to pay for it.

FFA91 wrote:
All I think now is that bikers are actually rude and obnoxious. Kinda like the HD stereotype already.

Not many groups are welcoming to spammers. You should probably be careful throwing around HD stereotypes. Laughing

FFA91 wrote:
I just wanted to understand whether the low performance of HD in the UK is partly to do with the limited range in types of bikes they offer.

HD have used UoG for several years now, and have used students research and proposals in their campaigns in the past.

Interesting. Very interesting.

Do you think using student research and proposals in their campaigns has got anything to do with the low performance of HD in the UK?

This the UK largest motorcycle forum and as such, we get plenty of students posting links to their surveys. Because we're nice people, we fill out those surveys but the answers we provide might not be what the student was expecting or hoping for.

I've never thought that any company would actually do anything with the research other than file in it the bin because paying attention the data would led to some terrible decisions. Terrible decisions led to low performance.

In conclusion, Harley Davidson using research and proposals by students is what's causing them to be performing badly in the UK.

You're welcome. Razz

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:45 - 04 Mar 2020    Post subject: Re: Harley-Davidson Pan America Reply with quote

FFA91 wrote:
Hi everyone, I am new the forum and I'm here because I am currently doing some research for Harley-Davidson.

I am a university student studying marketing and I have been tasked with helping HD to effectively market one of their new bikes.

I was hoping that you guys may be able to help me in understanding the motorbike market a little bit more. If you have 5 minutes to complete my survey I would be very grateful.

Forget your survey, if you really want to do HD a favour with an adventure bike, tell them to bury the hatchet with Erik Buell and give him a proper budget to develop the XB12X Ulysses - with a few tweaks, that's all the ADV Harley will ever need.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:44 - 04 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

HD's poor performance in the UK is really based on 4 things ..

Firstly, the demographic of the riders they attract, are in general getting old now, to the point where they are giving up riding, or, simply dying.

Secondly, the perception, especially in the non riding community, that HD riders are Hell's Angels, Hells Angels are simply not seen as being that cool anymore

Thirdly, for alot of HD owners, their bikes are trophies, sit in the garage most of the time, and as such need replacing less often.

Fourthly, they are overpriced for what they are. Take the livewire for instance, cracking idea, range could be improved, but at £29K a full £10K more than the ZERO SR/F Premium, which also happens to have a far better range, and appreciably better performance, oh, and looks better.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:18 - 04 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

FFA91 wrote:
I am really sorry, I thought that the community of bikers was a lot more friendly than the vibe I’m currently getting.

We’re rude?
We’re rude to each other,it’s what we do .
Why are you so special that you’re exempt .

We’re certainly not unfriendly once you’re part of our little community.

Anyhoo: I suspect OP has flounced by now.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:40 - 04 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

I don't think it looks that bad. No worse than the GS.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:51 - 04 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:

Fourthly, they are overpriced for what they are. Take the livewire for instance, cracking idea, range could be improved, but at £29K a full £10K more than the ZERO SR/F Premium, which also happens to have a far better range, and appreciably better performance, oh, and looks better.

And is still stupidly expensive.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:15 - 04 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
linuxyeti wrote:

I agree, however, I think prices will soon start dropping, once the premium is down to say, around 12-15K I think uptake will increase. You can get cheaper Zero's, I was just using their top of the range bike to compare against the HD.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:46 - 04 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

I agree, however, I think prices will soon start dropping, once the premium is down to say, around 12-15K I think uptake will increase. You can get cheaper Zero's, I was just using their top of the range bike to compare against the HD.

At the risk of rehashing old ground, just why would you spend 12-15k on an electric bike (unless you are exceedingly well off and have more than one bike) when you can buy a brand new Honda CBX500 for under 6k.

Legislation, not choice will force the majority of people onto electric bikes.

Still, back to that Harley. It's horrible and all the marketing in the world can't change that.

gbrand42
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 20:13 - 04 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

FFA91 wrote:
I’m in the 25 - 30 age bracket, I’m female

Tits or GTFO

FFA91 wrote:
All I think now is that bikers are actually rude and obnoxious.

Tits or GTFO
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 25 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2