Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Hanksalot
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:43 - 04 Mar 2020    Post subject: CBT query Reply with quote

Newbie question!

Hi,

Do I need to pass my CBT in order to ride a 70cc bike on the roads with an L plate?

Thanks in advance,
Hank

davebike
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:21 - 04 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes your provisional licence is invalid until you complete CBT it is a training day not a test !
You can fail to complete if you not reaching the standard regarded as safe to be on the road !

Most complete in a day

READ the highway code before you go !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:35 - 04 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presumably you hold a provisional motorcycle licence as a 70cc bike is a motorcycle not a moped.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hanksalot
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:51 - 05 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_Pagin wrote:
Presumably you hold a provisional motorcycle licence as a 70cc bike is a motorcycle not a moped.

I’m over 30 and hold a full driving license, but no CBT. Just to clarify. I assume that this makes no difference to the requirement of needing a CBT before being allowed on the road?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:55 - 05 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you need a CBT to ride a 70cc bike on the roads.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:04 - 05 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hanksalot wrote:
I’m over 30 and hold a full driving license, but no CBT. Just to clarify. I assume that this makes no difference to the requirement of needing a CBT before being allowed on the road?

If your driving licence includes a full motorcycle entitlement (A A1 A2) you don't need CBT.
Provisional motorcycle licence you need CBT.
Grandad moped entitlement (and no motorcycle entitlement) - you can't legally ride a 70cc motorcycle.
Provisional moped entitlement - you can't legally ride a 70cc motorcycle.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:36 - 05 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a full motorbike license you dont need a cbt.

If you have a provisional motorbike license you need to do cbt.

If you dont have a provisional motorbike license you cant ride it regardless.

If you have a moped license its irrelevant cause it's not a moped.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 16:44 - 05 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK, Yes, you need a CBT.

A motorbike is a motorbike, regardless of the size of fire hole in the engine, or even if it has an 'engine'. e-bikes are motorbikes too... so are scooters and mopeds. Whether they have a step-through frame, or pedals or how big the wheels are makes no odds. It has powered wheel, its a motor-vehicle and Road-Traffic-Act and Construction and Use laws apply.

MOPEDs.. something of a special case... the entitlement for a moped is AM on the licence and I think it's still awarded for passing a car driving test.. B~U~T a 'moped' has strict definition in C&U reg's, and if it has an internal combustion engine, MUST be less than 50cc, and cannot be capable than more than about 30mph.

If you dig into the regs there's a bunch of exceptions, and many of them come with what's known as 'Grandad Rights' if you passed your car test last century, but they probably wont apply.

As far as you are concerned, even IF you were granted AM entitlement for passing car tests, the 'moped' 50cc/30mph entitlement is still only validated with a CBT cert, and if you are ever challenged you have to present the CBT cert with your licence to show that it IS valid. So dont loose it!

B~U~T you are talking about a 70cc motorcycle.... that begs a motorcycle licence, like any other, for which you have to take motorbike tests, the start of which begs you do a CBT course and gain the DL1967 certificate of 'satisfactory' completion, to ride it unsupervised, as a Learner on L-Plates for the validity of the DL196.. two years.

And worth mentioning, the full suite of tests for full motorcycle entitlement, Theory/Hazard, Mod 1 and Mod 2 practicals, only cost aprox £150, about as much as a single repeat CBT-course... is you self book and dont go through a school on a DAS style course... so worth the doing.... b~u~t.... test regs demand they must be done on a bike meeting the regs for the licence entitlement you wish to obtain. A1 is the 125 'only' entitlement, and easiest to do, but it still begs a bike OVER 120cc and capable of at least 55mph... which a 70 doesn't meet on at least one count. So, if doing it on the cheaps, may be worth pondering, whether the 70 is the best tool for the job, and a full 125 you could take A1 tests on, DIY, might have more merit, and be better long term investment. Otherwise, like I said tests cost the same regardless, though A2 or full 'A' entitlement, for a larger engine'd bike tend to beg a DAS course to provide first the test eligible bigger bike, and an instructor to full fill legal req's of 'supervision' to the test center. Depending on your ambitions/aspirations, you may be as well off saving for a full DAS course, and maybe saving the 70, if still viable/useful just for unsupervised learning or commuting.

B~U~T..... basic answer is that you almost certainly MUST do a CBT course to ride a 70, 'legally' on UK roads.

Its probably a good idea to, anyway... I mean, would you go swimming in shark infested waters without having lessons first? I mean, "Well I got wet in the bath last week" Isn't quite the same thing, really, but that's sort of the analogy here... A motorbike may have an engine and physically shift a person along the same roads like a car might... but its not really the same thing.... far from it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:29 - 12 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:

Its probably a good idea to, anyway... I mean, would you go swimming in shark infested waters without having lessons first? I mean, "Well I got wet in the bath last week" Isn't quite the same thing, really, but that's sort of the analogy here... A motorbike may have an engine and physically shift a person along the same roads like a car might... but its not really the same thing.... far from it.

Having proper training is good but most old farts got their licence by dicking around on their own without even having a car licence.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 15:04 - 12 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmoan wrote:
Having proper training is good but most old farts got their licence by dicking around on their own without even having a car licence.

Oi! I resemble that comment! lol!

I started out on an old pedal and pop in the orchard, going it alone... its called the school of hard knocks and BOY do them knocks come hard! Stinging nettles also sting....
The risks on a real road on modern traffic are all somewhat more menacing and the consequences a tad more dire than picking yourself up, dusting yourself down, and being told 'Silly Boy' when you go hunting for the Savlon!

Yes, training is good, especially in today's target rich, where there's blame there's a claim culture.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 45 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1