Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

1 Day of riding!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

ChipBike
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:35 - 04 Mar 2020    Post subject: 1 Day of riding! Reply with quote

Hi again.. Middle Finger

Following on from my first post - https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=329863
40+ noob lifetime driver on his first bike!

I have spend a day riding about.

First impressions are great, all the things I would expect being a problem are not, but I do have a few surprises..

However - Some issues...
The plan was to commute in record time. Thumbs Up
It takes me longer than my commute to get dressed/geared up and bike prepared.. Thumbs Down

I have nowhere to stick everything. Thumbs Down
Yamaha YBR 125, so have to look at a bike box/bag although I feel it spoils the look.
Just where do I put all my locks and chains!

Time - Why don't these things have a clock... I was enjoying myself so much, time flew and I was late for an appointment.

FECKING indicators.... Who designed a bike that doesn't auto cancel...
Like, I was getting so frustrated glancing down and seeing my indicator flashing half a mile after turning..
20 years of car riding and not being able to hear the click click click click when my indicators are on.
It;s hard enough, trying to change gear, looking in my mirrors, doing my lifesavers, and then having to click a button with huge gloves on..

I enjoyed my rant, please feel free to comment.

deanflyer
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:39 - 04 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've forgotten the number of times my instructor has told me to cancel my indicators. Getting used to it though!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:42 - 04 Mar 2020    Post subject: Re: 1 Day of riding! Reply with quote

ChipBike wrote:

It takes me longer than my commute to get dressed/geared up and bike prepared..

5 mins to get overtrousers, coat, boots helment and gloves isn't a lot.

I don't prepare my bike before riding. I just start it up and ride off.

ChipBike wrote:

Most of them don't have autocancelling indicators.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:59 - 04 Mar 2020    Post subject: Re: 1 Day of riding! Reply with quote

ChipBike wrote:
Yamaha YBR 125, so have to look at a bike box/bag although I feel it spoils the look.

As was said, buy a topbox and panniers. I think that the panniers are worthwhile because they're extra space low down, and they make a bike with a topbox look better than with just the topbox.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:15 - 04 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get bleepers for your indicators.

Regards panniers spoiling the look of the bike... You can't see it while you're riding it.

I have a casio digital watch on the handlebars, just fastened it round a bit of pipe lagging foam. Others glue them onto the dash with hot glue. The battery will outlast the bike.

WreckTangle
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:21 - 04 Mar 2020    Post subject: Re: 1 Day of riding! Reply with quote

hi there. Welcome to the biker community. you will love it here once you become a pro biker.

Yeah, biking is one of those things that you have to be patient with, but after a couple of weeks, you will get more confident on bikes (especially at higher speed) and you will breaking records in no time.

I think biking is more advantageous if you live in a busy city or in the countryside, where you have long distances to commute (as you can filter through the traffic, and laugh at the people sitting in their metal tin cans that can't move) Twisted Evil

I suspect your place of work is only down the road?

you do make a point about the indicators through, I suspect that when indicators where first introduced to all vehicles (cars, trucks bike, whatever) back in the day that everything was black and white, they always stayed on and had to be cancelled by the driver/rider. Someone in a car industry had a brainwave to make them self cancelling.... but this person never worked for a bike company (and the tech was never passed on) so the self cancelling tech never got to bike manufactures, so this old system of having to cancel your indicators on a bike still remains as a relic from long ago

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:38 - 04 Mar 2020    Post subject: Re: 1 Day of riding! Reply with quote

WreckTangle wrote:

you do make a point about the indicators through, I suspect that when indicators where first introduced to all vehicles (cars, trucks bike, whatever) back in the day that everything was black and white, they always stayed on and had to be cancelled by the driver/rider. Someone in a car industry had a brainwave to make them self cancelling.... but this person never worked for a bike company (and the tech was never passed on) so the self cancelling tech never got to bike manufactures, so this old system of having to cancel your indicators on a bike still remains as a relic from long ago

You clearly don't know how car indicators self cancel.

It takes a considerable turn of the steering wheel back to straight (i.e opposite direction to the turn) which clearly wouldn't work on a bike on account of the very minimal change to steering (and indeed on faster turns the initial turn on the steering is opposite the turn.)

The only ones I've seen on bike have been time or distance reliant.

WreckTangle
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:46 - 04 Mar 2020    Post subject: Re: 1 Day of riding! Reply with quote

ah, that explains it Nobby, I have always wondered myself as to why bikes never do this, but now I know. But it does make you think that harley davidson bikes have supposed to have 'self cancelling indicators' so makes you wonder why they have them? Thinking

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:00 - 04 Mar 2020    Post subject: Re: 1 Day of riding! Reply with quote

WreckTangle wrote:
ah, that explains it Nobby, I have always wondered myself as to why bikes never do this, but now I know. But it does make you think that harley davidson bikes have supposed to have 'self cancelling indicators' so makes you wonder why they have them? Thinking

It's because they can't go round corners. if the indicator is on, it's by mistake.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:13 - 04 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1983 Kawasaki (last year's project) has self-cancelling indicators. They save you the embarrassment of ever leaving an indicator on, but they have a habit of turning themselves off too early.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:40 - 04 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a tool to give you flexible, cheap, travel options not a fashion accessory
so dont get all form over function about a YBR
Top boxes, tank bags, panniers etc may not be pretty but they're useful

You can fit sounders to warn you when the flashers are on which may help
as can repeaters in line of sight.
Riding past junctions indicating left when you're not could easily get very painful
so bear this in mind.

Bar mounted motorcycle clocks are cheap and easy to get.

Dont plan for IF someone pulls out in front of you,
always plan for WHEN someone pulls out in front of you
cos they will
a lot
You'll get scared and lose your shit at first then learn to
try and avoid this by being prepared.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:27 - 04 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to prepare the bike in the morning...

Maybe you don't save time on the commute but at least you save your sanity! If I know I have to drive into the City I end up putting off the job as long as I can. Bike travel is a total joy in comparison!

seeyalater
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:37 - 04 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you do MOD2 you will get it drummed into you to cancel signal. Plus its dangerous to leave on and mislead the dangerous cars etc.

getting dressed is the ballache, but bike should turn on and go, even the choke warm up should be the time it takes to get helmet and gloves on

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:15 - 04 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE cancelling signals - one of the ways I came at this was to never let them auto cancel in the car, once I began to ride bikes. This is far from idiot proof for all kinds of reasons - however, it does help to change the habit of a lifetime. The second thing to do is simply to realise that a lot of the signals you give are to other road users who aren't there. In other words, get out of the habit of slavishly giving signals when it's not necessary. This will cut down the number of times you leave them on. The third thing I always try to do is to look down at the clocks / instrument display BEFORE starting a signal. In this way you can monitor how many times you fail to cancel them. If you ever glance down before starting a signal, and see that they're still fucking well blinking from the last time you pressed them, and you see this three or four times over the course of a two hour ride, you know the problem is serious. Otherwise, if you don't do this, you will never be able to obtain an accurate idea of how regularly you're failing to cancel signals. So remember - before each use of the signals, glance down and check they're not still on from the previous usage.

Things I remember about getting on a bike:

i). how much engine braking and 'natural' deceleration there is - I wasn't prepared for that, but I was glad of it

ii). how much you can often smell - I never thought biking would be such an olfactory thang...cut grass, farms, fires, etc.

iii). how much trickier riding is than driving and how much more skill and concentration is involved

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:27 - 04 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing I tend to smell whilst riding is skunk.

Admittedly a lot of the riding I do is in bristol....

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:38 - 04 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cancelling signals is just one of those habits that's good to get into and not fight with and is no different to doing 'lifesaver' checks before changing lanes.

Like putting a seatbelt on when getting into a car, just commit it to memory so that you don't ever forget to do it.

Time getting kit on - nothing you can do about that. Entirely up to you but for me, good gear and wearing it isn''t something i will skimp on or skip past in order to save time / money.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:46 - 04 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be doing a mirror-check immediately after negotiating each junction anyway. this is the time to cancel the indicators. Get it into your drill for the test.

Lifesaver - manouver - mirror check - cancel indicators.

ChipBike
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:57 - 04 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your replies so far (Apologies for not rating as I'm not allowed yet)

I will get used to the indicators and I curse loudly to myself in my helmet every time. If only the light, or a light was higher, like under the wind shield thing.

I've spotted a buzzer and more importantly a high vis LED that is only a few quid on ebay, so will give them a go. Thanks to whoever said they are available.

I have just bought a little back seat bag that will hold my locks etc.

Back boxes are very cheap, nothing I should watch out for when connecting these to the chrome YBR bracket.

Lastly, 1litre of oil, semi 5w 40w, nothing special here, just drop the old and put the new in?

Not sure when/if ever it was last done.

Thanks in advance.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 23:22 - 04 Mar 2020    Post subject: Re: 1 Day of riding! Reply with quote

Oh-Kay.. You is a LEARNER! Take your car driving head off, and start learning. Just 'cos you have driven a tin can for umpety years does not mean you know effall about riding a motorbike, and what you THINK you know, probably isn't worth much! Moving on....

ChipBike wrote:
It takes me longer than my commute to get dressed/geared up and bike prepared.. Thumbs Down

You are going to ride a motorbike, not service a nuclear reactor... how much motorbike gear are you trying to put on, and more, what do you expect it to do for you?

Over thirty odd years my bike fluctuated a bit, b-u-t... when I first started riding (round the orchard!) mi-mum insisted I wore a crash hat.. that soon found itself on a nail in the shed! Regs didn't demand a skid-lid for trials, and it was some years before I wore one on anything like a regular basis.... hint, no crash no need crash hat.... try not to crash! Almost certainly sustained more injury in a supposedly kiddie friendly play ground, jumping off swings and chit, than falling off motorbikes...

You need to get the 'risks' in proportion and not let fears and imagination exaggerate them. Safety comes from what is in your head, NOT what you stick it in!

All too easy to get carried away in the shop buying stuff for this new found pursuit, and even easier to be over sold on safety that 'all' this gear is absolutely essential... and the sales man is not going to abuse of the ideas any!

My usual riding gear these days is no more than a skid lid, and unless British weather is having a more than usual random moment and the sun is out, a pair of waterproof over trousers. Probably takes me longer to find car keys than to tog up for the bike!

ChipBike wrote:

Yeah, take that car-driver head off! Would you have anywhere to put all your clutter if you were to walk or take a bus?

And sod the looks. You are probably the only person to GAS about them. Most folk just DON'T look, its the first line when they knock you off! Sorry Mate I Didn't See You! So if they pay any attention at all... be thankful!

However there are plenty of off the shelf luggage solutions out there. What is best though is entirely circumstantial and very personal.

My bike has a pair of throw-over 'soft' panniers virtually permanently attached. They have a strap that goes under the locked down seat to stop them too easily being lifted off, and they zip-expand to a healthy 45litres a side carry capacity, that's about as much luggage space as a hatch-back boot.

A bit more durable, I have a pair of 46 litre 'hard' panniers. They are also a tad more of a faff to install the first time, as you have to bolt a rack and side rails to the bike. A little easier to put on and off after though, and a bit more secure if left on the bike. I can also just use the one box as a top-box, or I can use the top plate as a rack to tie down other bags etc.

For more incidental luggage I have a soft tank-bag, that sticks to the petrol tank on magnets, and cab be carted around as a shoulder bag when off the bike. I find this most useful as a 'day pack' for carrying things like my camera, ferry tickets, spare specs, spare jumper and mi-lunch about.

Tucked in to the zip-pockets of the throw-over's though, are a couple of bungee cords, a couple of bungee cargo nets and a couple of pairs of ratchet straps. These allow me to tie on almost any auxiliary luggage I may want, from a spare pillion lid, to a microwave oven! Or something that's caught my eye at a show, like another petrol tank for the project bike, or whatever!

Again its down to using your head, and not expecting it all done for you, off the shelf. Ingenuity may be required! Where would you put stuff if you were walking, catching the buss or taking the train?

ChipBike wrote:
Time - Why don't these things have a clock... I was enjoying myself so much, time flew and I was late for an appointment.

Its a motorbike not a bloody all in one multi-function, swiss-army smurfone! Take car-driver head off FFS!

Why do you need to know what time it is? Dont you have a watch? Oh-Kay, well may be hard to read one of them under gloves, but.... back to using your head! & Ingenuity!

You can actually buy water-proof bike clocks as an after-markety accessory these days that strap round the handlebar or pritt-pad on the tank/dash-panel. That's what in days of old we used to do with cheap petrol station digital watches. (Can you still get such things?)

But... on a longer commute, you get to know where the church clocs, market place clocks or road-side chronograph's are.... IF its really that important.. otherwise, set out ten minutes or so 'early' so its not, and if you arrive early? Use that time to grab a cuppa and thaw out!

ChipBike wrote:

ITS NOT A FECKING CAR!!!! In fact my first car and more than one of two since haven't had self cancelling indicators! Learn to turn the indies OFF! Its all part of the learning of being a learner!

In fact self cancelling indies are a double edged sword... they can turn themselves 'off' as easily when you want them to stay on, as when you may for a tiny bit of effort want then to turn off...

As to why bikes don't generally have them? (a few do) is down to the topography of the mechanics. Its fairly easy and cheap to put an latching mechanism into a car indie switch; the switch is normally mounted on the steering column for starters, and there's normally a couple or more of full revolutions of the steering shaft between full locks. On a bike the switch is mounted more remotely, and the bars have less than half a turn of full travel.

But if you learn to use indies properly... its NOT a problem, car or bike.

DONT get a bludy buzzer!! If its loud enough to hear in a crash hat, it'll be annoying folk in cars with bass bins shaking the glass out the back!If not... well, its a chocolate tea pot, opr fag ash tray on motorbike, really!!

BUT.. you iz learner... and if THESE are the biggest things you have to worry about right now... GO GET A LICENCE! There really are MUCH bigger fish to fry! Passing the tests should be a breeze if this is ALL you have to fret about.....

But welcome to the wonderful world of biking...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ChipBike
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:19 - 05 Mar 2020    Post subject: Re: 1 Day of riding! Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
Oh-Kay.. You is a LEARNER! Take your car driving head off, and start learning. Just 'cos you have driven a tin can for umpety years does not mean you know effall about riding a motorbike, and what you THINK you know, probably isn't worth much! Moving on....

ChipBike wrote:

You are going to ride a motorbike, not service a nuclear reactor... how much motorbike gear are you trying to put on, and more, what do you expect it to do for you?

Over thirty odd years my bike fluctuated a bit, b-u-t... when I first started riding (round the orchard!) mi-mum insisted I wore a crash hat.. that soon found itself on a nail in the shed! Regs didn't demand a skid-lid for trials, and it was some years before I wore one on anything like a regular basis.... hint, no crash no need crash hat.... try not to crash! Almost certainly sustained more injury in a supposedly kiddie friendly play ground, jumping off swings and chit, than falling off motorbikes...

You need to get the 'risks' in proportion and not let fears and imagination exaggerate them. Safety comes from what is in your head, NOT what you stick it in!

All too easy to get carried away in the shop buying stuff for this new found pursuit, and even easier to be over sold on safety that 'all' this gear is absolutely essential... and the sales man is not going to abuse of the ideas any!

My usual riding gear these days is no more than a skid lid, and unless British weather is having a more than usual random moment and the sun is out, a pair of waterproof over trousers. Probably takes me longer to find car keys than to tog up for the bike!

ChipBike wrote:

Yeah, take that car-driver head off! Would you have anywhere to put all your clutter if you were to walk or take a bus?

And sod the looks. You are probably the only person to GAS about them. Most folk just DON'T look, its the first line when they knock you off! Sorry Mate I Didn't See You! So if they pay any attention at all... be thankful!

However there are plenty of off the shelf luggage solutions out there. What is best though is entirely circumstantial and very personal.

My bike has a pair of throw-over 'soft' panniers virtually permanently attached. They have a strap that goes under the locked down seat to stop them too easily being lifted off, and they zip-expand to a healthy 45litres a side carry capacity, that's about as much luggage space as a hatch-back boot.

A bit more durable, I have a pair of 46 litre 'hard' panniers. They are also a tad more of a faff to install the first time, as you have to bolt a rack and side rails to the bike. A little easier to put on and off after though, and a bit more secure if left on the bike. I can also just use the one box as a top-box, or I can use the top plate as a rack to tie down other bags etc.

For more incidental luggage I have a soft tank-bag, that sticks to the petrol tank on magnets, and cab be carted around as a shoulder bag when off the bike. I find this most useful as a 'day pack' for carrying things like my camera, ferry tickets, spare specs, spare jumper and mi-lunch about.

Tucked in to the zip-pockets of the throw-over's though, are a couple of bungee cords, a couple of bungee cargo nets and a couple of pairs of ratchet straps. These allow me to tie on almost any auxiliary luggage I may want, from a spare pillion lid, to a microwave oven! Or something that's caught my eye at a show, like another petrol tank for the project bike, or whatever!

Again its down to using your head, and not expecting it all done for you, off the shelf. Ingenuity may be required! Where would you put stuff if you were walking, catching the buss or taking the train?

ChipBike wrote:

Its a motorbike not a bloody all in one multi-function, swiss-army smurfone! Take car-driver head off FFS!

Why do you need to know what time it is? Dont you have a watch? Oh-Kay, well may be hard to read one of them under gloves, but.... back to using your head! & Ingenuity!

You can actually buy water-proof bike clocks as an after-markety accessory these days that strap round the handlebar or pritt-pad on the tank/dash-panel. That's what in days of old we used to do with cheap petrol station digital watches. (Can you still get such things?)

But... on a longer commute, you get to know where the church clocs, market place clocks or road-side chronograph's are.... IF its really that important.. otherwise, set out ten minutes or so 'early' so its not, and if you arrive early? Use that time to grab a cuppa and thaw out!

ChipBike wrote:

ITS NOT A FECKING CAR!!!! In fact my first car and more than one of two since haven't had self cancelling indicators! Learn to turn the indies OFF! Its all part of the learning of being a learner!

In fact self cancelling indies are a double edged sword... they can turn themselves 'off' as easily when you want them to stay on, as when you may for a tiny bit of effort want then to turn off...

As to why bikes don't generally have them? (a few do) is down to the topography of the mechanics. Its fairly easy and cheap to put an latching mechanism into a car indie switch; the switch is normally mounted on the steering column for starters, and there's normally a couple or more of full revolutions of the steering shaft between full locks. On a bike the switch is mounted more remotely, and the bars have less than half a turn of full travel.

But if you learn to use indies properly... its NOT a problem, car or bike.

DONT get a bludy buzzer!! If its loud enough to hear in a crash hat, it'll be annoying folk in cars with bass bins shaking the glass out the back!If not... well, its a chocolate tea pot, opr fag ash tray on motorbike, really!!

BUT.. you iz learner... and if THESE are the biggest things you have to worry about right now... GO GET A LICENCE! There really are MUCH bigger fish to fry! Passing the tests should be a breeze if this is ALL you have to fret about.....

But welcome to the wonderful world of biking...

I guess you won't want updates on the car radio I plan to slide in place and under my rear seat so I can listen to all my favourite tunes?
The difference between a learner and a non leaner is a bit of luck during a couple of basic tests and an exam every car driver could take with their eyes shut.

Every day is a new day to learn new things, no one is an expert. 😉

Last edited by ChipBike on 00:24 - 05 Mar 2020; edited 1 time in total

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:20 - 05 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChipBike wrote:
I've spotted a buzzer and more importantly a high vis LED that is only a few quid on ebay, so will give them a go. Thanks to whoever said they are available.

Don't the LED will dazzle you in the dark and the buzzers will label you a window licker.

Just learn it like everyone else.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 02:07 - 05 Mar 2020    Post subject: Re: 1 Day of riding! Reply with quote

ChipBike wrote:
I guess you won't want updates on the car radio I plan to slide in place and under my rear seat so I can listen to all my favourite tunes?

I've wired my helmets for both tunes and comms since about 1997...
With rider to pillion and bike to bike via variouse different radio standards, tunes similarly from compact cassette to i-phoey....
Updates on how you manage to wire a car radio into a YBR's rather hard-pressed electrical system? Go for it! I expect much hilarity.. though maybe not quite as much as the thread from the lad that tried to Cruize-if-Y a peugot scooter with under skirt neons and a mega bass bin.... it was actually the more funny because he wasn't being ironic....
ChipBike wrote:
The difference between a learner and a non leaner is a bit of luck during a couple of basic tests and an exam every car driver could take with their eyes shut.

Lol! Oh-Kay..... if only that were true, more LOL....
ChipBike wrote:
Every day is a new day to learn new things, no one is an expert. 😉

Oh, the optimism of naivity... You know, I too, for a few months at least, am still, in my 40's.... I have just been at this game about as long as I've been out of short trousers...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:00 - 05 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christ you're only 40s? I had you pegged as 83 and an avid IAM car member!

seeyalater
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:29 - 05 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you plan to keep that bike a while? if you do move up to bigger bikes alot have time on them. indicator thing will go away when you get bollockd on mod2 or fail test for it (if do it enough its a minor)

after all that was only your first day.. got to get better.. in theory.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:11 - 05 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Car radio? Do you want everyone to think you are a cockwomble?

Mp3 player, ear buds. Job done. Before you say it's dangerous, how do you think deaf people manage?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 52 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2