Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Southend Shakedown vs The Coronavirus

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

Calumh96
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:05 - 05 Mar 2020    Post subject: Southend Shakedown vs The Coronavirus Reply with quote

Yes its another post about the Virus.
No you can't avoid the talk, yes its the Flu.

With the long awaited Southend Shakedown just around the corner there couldn't be a worse time for a Epidemic, How rude right? Now there have been talks from Boris himself about a ban on mass gatherings should the spread of the virus continue so "dangerously".

What are your thoughts? What will be considered mass gatherings as I know the London marathon and football games have been amongst the talks.

WILL WE BE AFFECTED OR LIVE TO RIDE ANOTHER DAY!?
Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:53 - 05 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who cares? What will be will be, I thought that was an advantage of riding a bike, it's an individual pastime, no need to mingle with the rest of the the great unwashed & diseased.

Calumh96
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:24 - 05 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
it's an individual pastime, no need to mingle with the rest of the the great unwashed & diseased.

Interesting angle there. Majority of the biker community is amazing and that's a huge part of why I do it
Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

dynax
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:32 - 05 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comes down to personal choice,
some like to ride in groups some like to ride solo and some like myself like to do both but i mostly ride solo apart from a few ride outs with my local club Thumbs Up

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:02 - 05 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m rude, bad mannered, blunt, and tight fisted, I ride on my own Thumbs Up

I don’t want someone else’s germs, even if they are giving them away for free Sick .

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:19 - 05 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's mainly outside and you can largely keep an arm's length from people it won't be worse than going to Tesco.
Big football matches are far more risky just from all the things you will touch that hundreds of others touched.
Imagine any surface you run your hand on is covered in dog poo so keep it off your face or food.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:41 - 05 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Southend? That's a fucking third world country. You're more likely to die of ebola there.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:27 - 05 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fun in bikes is 90% the road, 10% the bike, but the bike is inseparable from the equation whichever way you look at it, and some bikes are more suitable for certain roads than others. For example, I have a local forested road which would absolutely rock on a 125, or a DRZ400 or similar, and would suck on a sports bike. Likewise, a DRZ400 wouldn't be much cop on a track. The only time a DRZ400 and, say, a Panigale give you the exactly the same enjoyment is when you don't own them and won't ride them, but intend to just look at them for 5 minutes each...

Misattributing the fun to the bike can easily muddy the waters of perception, and make people think it's all about the bike when it isn't. It's pretty difficult. However, the distinction between people and communities and enjoying bikes should be an easy one for most of us. Bike events are about people more than they're about bikes, which is absolutely great if you're getting the full-on 70s/80s experience, but I suspect most attendees at such events aren't. I mean, the free love hippy chicks, the beer, tearing up a field or doing burnouts, etc. You can't get buzz that from staring at someone else's Ducati for 5 minutes. Calne bike show was a good one, but hey, this is 2020, you can't expect too much. These types of bike events have one major thing going for them: they're not organised by cynical corporations who want to charge you £25 to look at a bike on a stand and £3.50 for a cup of tea, just to walk you through a series of adverts. They're still grassroots-organised, but more and more you see the encroachment of insurance companies and the like who see you as a captive audience as you stare at a succession of strangers' bikes like museum pieces. It's all a bit hapless, isn't it. Commerce! Not a meeting of people you know.

Calumh96
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:23 - 17 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

R.I.P shakedown

praying for the pass of corona don't let it ruin bike season Crying or Very sad

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:40 - 17 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calumh96 wrote:
R.I.P shakedown

praying for the pass of corona don't let it ruin bike season Crying or Very sad

Well, so far, it's only spoilt the Bike4Life ride out, other than that in the last month I've ridden hundreds of miles, be it across the moors between Wakefield and Oldham, or around the local staffs/shropshire areas. The floods have caused me more inconvenience, when it comes to riding, than anything covid-19 has thrown at us.

Oh, what's this biking season??

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:11 - 17 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:

That’s for pussie’s like me.
I dissolve in the rain and cry like a little girl if my bike gets to dirty (true).

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:04 - 17 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
linuxyeti wrote:

That’s for pussie’s like me.
I dissolve in the rain and cry like a little girl if my bike gets to dirty (true).

You'd be in pieces if you see my bike. I've only washed it once since I got it last summer Shocked

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:26 - 17 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calumh96 wrote:
don't let it ruin bike season Crying or Very sad

What's this season bullshit? Fuck riding with others - Go enjoy your bike, and Pay at Pump.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 11 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1