Heated Grips

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Peanut_Butter
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:44 - 05 Mar 2020    Post subject: Heated Grips Reply with quote

So to cut a long story short.
Bought the bike with them already on - didn't realise they classed as a modification (I don't declare the heated seats in my car)..lesson learned.

Bored at work so checked my insurance documents as you do Rolling Eyes
They are classed as a modification and need to be declared. Luckily i only took my policy out on 1st March so thought i might escape the admin fee and just have to pay a nominal price for the addition.

An additional £196.26 they wanted!!!!!

Ended up cancelling my policy and getting a new policy (same company and underwriter) minus the price of the last 7 days cover, plus £42 extra for the modification.

I won't lie i feel as though i've been had over a barrel..it's a good job i like her Laughing

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:00 - 05 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peanut_Butter wrote:
I won't lie i feel as though i've been had over a barrel

By your own penis. Cut of by yourself, and put into yourself by yourself.

Why on earth would you attempt to contact your insurance company after taking out a policy unless you've broken down or had a hefty collision.

All your own doing. Could of just gotten on with your day and rode throughout the rest of your policy in peace.

I'm not advocating not declaring modifications, but the most important ones can be done on insurance comparison websites (5 slots usually).

Every policy I've ever declared modifications on has never shown on the documents e-mailed to me thereafter: all a farcical bunch of money making nonsense.

In future adopt the mindset that insurance companies are not your friend, but instead money making schemes because "law."

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:07 - 05 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has the machine been modified ? Well I'm not a mechanic so I always answer, "Not that I know of, I just bought it how it is". I don't know what is factory fitted optional extras.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:19 - 05 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Triumph fit heated grips. Therefore in my view heated grips are not a mod.

It's purely a money making scam. If you have a crash, no insurance examiner is going to fcuk you up for that.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:22 - 05 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
Why on earth would you attempt to contact your insurance company after taking out a policy unless you've broken down or had a hefty collision.

Well, making a genuine error in your proposal form and wanting to regularise it would seem to be a pretty good one? Regardless of whether it was a good idea for the OP to have declared her hotgrips, from what you're saying she'd have been wrong to contact them if she'd got the reg number or bike manufacturer wrong.
NJD wrote:
Every policy I've ever declared modifications on has never shown on the documents e-mailed to me thereafter

Nor me, but I do know they are recorded on insurers' systems because I've had them read them back to me when I put a claim in.
Skudd wrote:
I always answer, "Not that I know of, I just bought it how it is". I don't know what is factory fitted optional extras.

This. Unless it's really obvious stuff I don't see how insurers can really object to that. I've certainly done it myself in good faith - I haven't discovered that certain bits weren't factory fitted OEM stuff until long after I'd bought bikes. Have to say I wouldn't have been in touch over a set of heated grips.

As an aside, just to show how ridiculous insurers are - when I bought my current (2nd hand) car it had tinted glass in the rear windows for some reason, and as this was a specifically mentioned 'modification' on the proposal form I ticked the relevant box. I ended up later having a phone conversation with them, which included the windows.

"Were the tinted windows a factory-fitted option when the car was new, or were they fitted afterwards?"

"I have absolutely no idea and there's no way of finding out now. Why?"

"Because if they were factory fitted there's no extra premium, but if not it will cost you 71p per month"

I mean, WTF?

Peanut_Butter
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:32 - 05 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't have contacted them but it specifically said on my insurance document that heated grips were considered a modification and undeclared modifications would void my policy.

Seeing as it's my first year riding, my policy was less than a week old and statistics say I'm going to have an accident I didn't want the backlash.

I couldn't have pleaded ignorance to them being factory fitted as they say 'oxford' on them.

There's a difference between omitting the truth and bare face lying imo. Something black and white as that is difficult to argue and would be looked into if there was an accident. Which made me lol tbh because surely me being able to feel my hands whilst riding will reduce the risk of me losing control

Peanut_Butter
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:39 - 05 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

And before the "Don't be a vagina, buy proper gloves" posts start..
I have got decent gloves.
I am always cold
I am a vagina - no shame

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:40 - 05 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
...from what you're saying she'd have been wrong to contact them if she'd got the reg number or bike manufacturer wrong.

Well, no, that's clearly not what we're talking about here at all; and puts words into my mouth.

Both the registration number and manufacture are two very important contributing factors on insurance, but something as small as heated grips are not.

There's a clear difference between important information and irrelevant information, and OP paid the price for volunteering a confession of irrelevant information.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:28 - 05 Mar 2020    Post subject: Re: Heated Grips Reply with quote

Peanut_Butter wrote:
(heated grips) are classed as a modification and need to be declared.

Write to them (or post their name), I'd love to know why they think what I regard as a safety modification should attract a (much) higher premium.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:44 - 05 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
Freddyfruitbat wrote:
...from what you're saying she'd have been wrong to contact them if she'd got the reg number or bike manufacturer wrong.
Well, no, that's clearly not what we're talking about here at all; and puts words into my mouth.

I wasn't trying to be deliberately obtuse, but that's not so: read back exactly what you wrote! Given that you were addressing a noob I thought it was fair enough to pick you up on it.

Riejufixing wrote:
Peanut_Butter wrote:
Write to them (or post their name), I'd love to know why they think what I regard as a safety modification should attract a (much) higher premium.

Of course it's total bollocks but it's really not uncommon. I've seen dropdowns on insurers' websites where they ask for even more stupid stuff to be declared - stickers/decals springs to mind. They would probably argue that certain mods make a bike more likely to be nicked; not necessarily that it's more dangerous.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:45 - 05 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replacing one pair of grips with another set of virtually identical grips isn't a modification.

You wouldn't except to have to declare a new exhaust from kwik fit on your car ffs.

It's not a performance mod, doesn't alter the value and wont affect the behaviour of the rider or bike.

Peanut_Butter
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:06 - 05 Mar 2020    Post subject: Re: Heated Grips Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Peanut_Butter wrote:

I am insured through Hastings Direct. I am inclined to write to them and ask why tbh

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:41 - 05 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always answer the "is it modified" with "Not as far as I'm aware.". Even if they were modified and I did the modification.

With the exception of my one bike that is so outrageously modified, even I thought that would be taking the piss (over 200% of the original power output).

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:11 - 05 Mar 2020    Post subject: Re: Heated Grips Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Peanut_Butter wrote:

It's quite simple.

Their particular algorithm puts heavy weight on riding when it's cold and potentially icy. If you have heated grips, you are more likely to be out in those conditions.

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:22 - 05 Mar 2020    Post subject: Re: Heated Grips Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:

It's quite simple.

Their particular algorithm puts heavy weight on riding when it's cold and potentially icy. If you have heated grips, you are more likely to be out in those conditions.

+additional fire risk.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 23:30 - 05 Mar 2020    Post subject: Re: Heated Grips Reply with quote

t121anf wrote:
Hawkeye1250FA wrote:

It's quite simple.

+additional fire risk.

I take it that you've never heard of fuses.

Peanut_Butter
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:30 - 05 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never thought about the ice thing..I can guarantee I will use them all year round though. My car seat is on max heat for 11 months of the year without fail I'm always cold

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:42 - 05 Mar 2020    Post subject: Re: Heated Grips Reply with quote

Peanut_Butter wrote:
I am inclined to write to them and ask why tbh

The increase in price is because the big table of statistics says that riders matching your profile who declare heated grips cost them more than the riders matching your profile who don't have heated grips cost them.

They're not going to explain their reasoning to you.

TaffyTDM
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 00:18 - 06 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only rationale i can think of is if your machine catches fire due to sub standard wiring, or gives them a window to allege loss of control because toasty grips. Bunch of twats regardless
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TaffyTDM
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 00:27 - 06 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only rationale i can think of is if your machine catches fire due to sub standard wiring, or gives them a window to allege loss of control because toasty grips. Bunch of twats regardless

Peanut_Butter
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 09:03 - 06 Mar 2020    Post subject: Re: Heated Grips Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Peanut_Butter wrote:
I am inclined to write to them and ask why tbh

They're not going to explain their reasoning to you.

Probably not but I think i would feel better having put up a bit of a fight rather than just laying down and taking it but oh well.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:33 - 07 Mar 2020    Post subject: Re: Heated Grips Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
The increase in price is because the big table of statistics says that riders matching your profile who declare heated grips cost them more than the riders matching your profile who don't declare heated grips cost them.

FTFY.

Heated grips are a removable accessory, not a declareable modification. As are luggage straps, a luggage rack or even top box. I often swap mine seasonally as prefer others when I dont need the heat.

Insurance systems are low quality bug fuckups with all development resource focused on new business. They do not work to the same rules which they expect us to abide by. Often hear requests from FOS, certain people would be in a world of shit of the FOS had access to our systems and could see real data rather than the bollocks that claim team send back Mad

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:21 - 07 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a simple Underwriting Policy Ruling.

Move to another broker that sources cover from other insurers who use different algorithms/policy manuals.

Not a biggie.

Also before you fork out 100s for an insurance policy read the Policy Documents.
That is the contract.
You will find all underwriting rules in there.
Don't assume cheapest is best.
Sometimes cheapest is restricted so many areas cannot be covered.

It not too difficult if you read before you pay.

Anything 'non-Standard' (sometimes even OEM)you put on anything that is insured may carry risk/fiscal liabilities to the insurer.
They are only covering their bases.

PotatoHead202...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:34 - 09 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately it's not simple. It depends on the underwriters but now it's generally worded as "modified from the standard model" as in any FACTORY FITTED optional extras are classed as a modification.

My k1300gt for example has optional electronic suspension, traction control and heated grips/seats. All of this had to be declared to bikesure. Albeit it didn't make that much difference.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:12 - 09 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're insured through a broker, the premium jump could also be because your existing actual insurer didn't want to know, so they've had to go to someone else. This happened when I wanted to add Class 1 business use to my bike insurance last year; it added some ridiculous 4 figure sum, but it transpired it was a different actual insurer. Needless to say I didn't insure through that broker . . .

Back to the original topic, they are a modification if they aren't standard fit to the bike. I declared the factory fitted ones on my Triumph (which were an extra, not standard trim). Made no difference to the premium though.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 47 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2