Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Any BCF Boffins?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

toby1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:52 - 06 Mar 2020    Post subject: Any BCF Boffins? Reply with quote

The government medics have told us that the coronavirus can live on certain surfaces for up to 72 hours.

They also tell us that simple soap can kill the virus on our hands.

My question is that is there a substance we can put on our hands that kills the virus on contact? I understand ethanol / alcohol in hand sanitises does this but doesn't last long?

The advantage is that if we touch a contaminated surface we kill the virus before it comes into contact with our eyes / mouth?

Better people than me must be out there with a concoction that would work even if having to apply a few times a day........any ideas?

FretGrinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:39 - 06 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hand sanitiser only works on bacteria containing a lipid envelope, this is why it's inneffective against things like norovirus, but effective on others such as ebola

If coronavirus does have a lipid envelope, then it would work fine.

ಠ_ಠ

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:40 - 06 Mar 2020    Post subject: Re: Any BCF Boffins? Reply with quote

toby1 wrote:
The government medics have told us that the coronavirus can live on certain surfaces for up to 72 hours.

They also tell us that simple soap can kill the virus on our hands.

My question is that is there a substance we can put on our hands that kills the virus on contact? I understand ethanol / alcohol in hand sanitises does this but doesn't last long?

The advantage is that if we touch a contaminated surface we kill the virus before it comes into contact with our eyes / mouth?

Better people than me must be out there with a concoction that would work even if having to apply a few times a day........any ideas?

Re soap, it's the physical removal of the virus, dirt and bacteria that does the job. It doesn't kill the virus.

There are lots of things you could put on your skin to provide lasting protection against viruses, but many of them will produce most unpleasant side effects.

You could annoint your hands with meths, I suppose, which would have a slightly nasty effect, but would have the advantage that it would quickly train you not to put your fingers in your mouth Smile

Edit: Also, no smoking....

(edit: SP)

Last edited by Riejufixing on 12:00 - 06 Mar 2020; edited 1 time in total

toby1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:52 - 06 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably would be a trade off of nasty taste or even slight toxicity but would be worth it? What can we use that will kill this virus?

Hence asking for boffins.....

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:06 - 06 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

toby1 wrote:
What can we use that will kill this virus?

If you want an easy answer, then thick bleach will cling for longer, but as above, there's nothing you can put on your skin that will kill viruses and stay on your skin for a long time without harming it.

dynax
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:13 - 06 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piss on your hands just as good as anything else Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:31 - 06 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

To a certain extent this is re-inventing the wheel. Relying on your own immune system is the only natural, non-toxic way of combating the virus.

Be better off eating a more balanced diet, a bit more exercise, give up smoking, drink less alcohol, etc.

toby1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:58 - 06 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's another issue that some people's immune system goes into overdrive and causes more damage than the virus.

I want to kill it before infection.......I know that it can be airborne but just looking to lessen a situation by picking it up from a surface.

Peanut_Butter
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:12 - 06 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutting off your hands would stop you touching infected surfaces.
However It would just be easier to just keep the surfaces clean and don't suck on your fingers

dynax
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:16 - 06 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the good old paranoia is starting to kick in Laughing

Live with it or die trying Rolling Eyes

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:39 - 06 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have it on reliable authority* that because this is a man-made virus, (invented and unleashed by the Trump regime as payback for China/Huwai, Arabs, Meghan and people who are rude about the president's hair)) and has a fatty coating, it is much harder to kill than say, Ebola or teh bad aids.

So soak yourselves in vinegar Wink

*The pump attendant at our local petrol station. "Fifity litres of unleaded and a conspiracy theory please mate."

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:17 - 06 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracey Suntan-King wrote:

So soak yourselves in vinegar "

Doing it right now Thumbs Up Shocked

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:23 - 06 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Golden showers at the ready.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:42 - 06 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're all going to get it and there is nothing you can do about it.

The handwashing thing is just so you can feel like you are doing something useful and so the government can give the impression they are taking action.

You don't contract the virus through your hands. It get on your hands then you pick your nose/rub your eyes. So stop picking your nose/rubbing your eyes... You'll still get it though because the last person to handle the bag of crisps you're eating didn't wash his hands.

Chlorhexidine has some persistant anti-viral activity on your skin. Using it repeatedly will dry the hell out of it though and it's much more difficult to keep dry, cracked skin clean. Probably makes things worse.

Alcohol is very effective at killing non-encapsulated viruses and you'll find if you keep rubbing it in until dry instead of wiping it off on your trousers, the oils stay on your skin while the alcohol evaporates. Feels like you just used moisturiser. Isopropyl alcohol is even nicer to use in this respect.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:45 - 06 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sticking you hand up a cows bottom then eating a pork pie might help to stop spreading the Bat Flu.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:45 - 06 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm safe. Anything that comes into contact with me just dies of sheer despair.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:50 - 06 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
Not sticking you hand up a cows bottom then eating a pork pie might help to stop spreading the Bat Flu.

I've already had pretty much anything you can catch from a cows bottom.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:55 - 06 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

And not many people can say that!
Do you use this as a conversation opener? Smile
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:06 - 06 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracey Suntan-King wrote:
I have it on reliable authority* that because this is a man-made virus, (invented and unleashed by the Trump regime as payback for China/Huwai, Arabs, Meghan and people who are rude about the president's hair)) and has a fatty coating, it is much harder to kill than say, Ebola or teh bad aids.

I'd heard similar. Also that it is a government conspiracy to reduce the effects of terrorism.

For some reason it reminds me of the Mandella Effect. Shared false memories. Creepy Shocked

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:41 - 06 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:

And not many people can say that!
Do you use this as a conversation opener? Smile

I think it's his chat up line at CAMRA. Shocked

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:00 - 06 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did someone just say CANSA?

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:07 - 06 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:

No.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:12 - 06 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
bhinso wrote:

No.

#Serious as

Clanger
Stirrer

PostPosted: 11:16 - 07 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
We're all going to get it and there is nothing you can do about it. It gets on your hands then you pick your nose/rub your eyes and then you get infected.

Which is why they are suggesting to wash your hands more, especially if you do touch your face often, or if you work with others and touch them or items that they touch.

We are advised to wash or gel our hands then use barrier creams to both protect our hands from drying out but also as a barrier against environmental bacterias.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:12 - 07 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Alcohol is very effective at killing non-encapsulated viruses and you'll find if you keep rubbing it in until dry instead of wiping it off on your trousers, the oils stay on your skin while the alcohol evaporates. Feels like you just used moisturiser. Isopropyl alcohol is even nicer to use in this respect.

That's good to know. I'm safe. My bloodstream is at least 50% rum. Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 51 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2