Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Stockpiling

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:47 - 29 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The Sun" reports from other sources of large amounts of food now being thrown away because it's "out of date".

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:02 - 29 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
"The Sun" reports from other sources of large amounts of food now being thrown away because it's "out of date".

It's almost as if freezers hadn't been invented.
Mind I guess most don't have one of any size.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:42 - 29 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

The Sun would report that there was rumours of cannibalism in Tottenham if they thought it would sell papers.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:21 - 29 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:

The Sun would report that there was rumours of cannibalism in Tottenham if they thought it would sell papers.

Do you think they are right, or wrong? Which?

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:10 - 29 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firewood.

Only trouble is that it's quite small stockpile what with Spring coming soon, but it does get chilly here at night.

Trouble is, Sid won't burn it. He's keeping for (more) marquetry projects if the shut down goes on for months as predicted.

Rolling Eyes

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:16 - 29 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

- wrote:

This is where rationing falls apart.

We're being told to shop as infrequently as possible, which for me is the norm anyway because I hate it, so buy 3 weeks worth at a time and live mainly out of a freezer for the last week or so.

If you ration, people need to shop more frequently. All the moron hoarders who walked around with 3 trolleys don't need to shop now for a couple of weeks, so Aldi was quiet, safe and moron free yesterday, with everyone giving each other space, just no Paracetamol, soap, hand cleaner, Pasta and some other empty shelves.

Exactly, and now people have what they need our quarantine will be more effective.

bhinso wrote:
Yes, the 3 item maximum is annoying when certain (non panic bought) items such as desserts are £1.90 each, or 2 for £2.

bit of sly opportunism there I think.

It requires some common sense though. I got a 32 pack of toilet rolls in Tesco the other day. One pack is plenty, I certainly didn't need 3 (96 rolls) nor does anyone else!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:56 - 29 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

Do you think they are right, or wrong? Which?

I have no doubt there is food being chucked away because it is out of date. I also have no doubt there is still food from supermarkets being chucked away because it is out of date and didn't sell but it's not easy to keep some foods for any length of time.

Fresh greens, maybe four days before it starts to look bad, irrespective of sell by date. I usually buy enough for 5 meals at a time (I cook at home because I enjoy it and wifie can't boil water without burning it) but sometimes it goes off before it can be used.

OK, yes there will be hoarders who bought 50 fresh pies and are now throwing 48 away but so what, they are the stupid ones and you can't cure stupid.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:58 - 29 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think supermarkets throw much out. Most of it seems to be either given away of used as animal feed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:06 - 29 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the last 4 days the little bastard has been displaying symptoms on and off.

Where did he get it? Preschool is the most likely. Children are known superspreaders just about everything so why the schools weren't closed immediately is a bit beyond me.

And no we aren't isolating him from the rest of my household. How do you isolate a 3 year old?

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:38 - 29 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
I got a 32 pack of toilet rolls in Tesco the other day.

No wonder there's a shortage if they've been filling shelves with bulk packs instead of the usual 4s.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:41 - 29 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Where did he get it? Preschool is the most likely. Children are known superspreaders just about everything so why the schools weren't closed immediately is a bit beyond me.

Because when the parents are working, they send them to be looked aftetr by their grandparents.

Quote:
And no we aren't isolating him from the rest of my household. How do you isolate a 3 year old?

In a cage with a TV and frozen playing on an endless loop.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:43 - 29 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Im-a-Ridah wrote:
I got a 32 pack of toilet rolls in Tesco the other day.

No wonder there's a shortage if they've been filling shelves with bulk packs instead of the usual 4s.

I don't think I've ever seen a 32-pack of bog roll in my entire life.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:59 - 29 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

There were pallets of the them inside the entrance to Tesco

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/toilet-rolls.jpg

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:05 - 29 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

There were pallets of the them inside the entrance to Tesco

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/toilet-rolls.jpg

It's good idea, as long as they continue to stock the normal size packs as well I suppose. Thing is, even with that, I'd still have to go shopping at least once a week, as I can only carry so much at a time. I just can't stockpile.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:54 - 29 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a feeling there will be a few companies trying to cash in on everyone's misery. I noticed yesterday the energy company has taken a payment out of schedule, early - less than what my next quarterly would probably be. Gonna have to call them tomorrow - if I can get through Rolling Eyes

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:55 - 29 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
OK, yes there will be hoarders who bought 50 fresh pies and are now throwing 48 away but so what, they are the stupid ones and you can't cure stupid.

The point is that these people need and should have a damned hard kick in the cnut.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:05 - 29 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Quote:

I think he was looking for new ideas rather than standard practice. Laughing

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:12 - 29 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

The point is that these people need and should have a damned hard kick in the cnut.

Agreed, but it won't happen so there's no point getting too annoyed with them. Sadly unless we Soylent Green them they will always be a stain on society.

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:14 - 29 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

I got it sorted.

https://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/bubble-boy-001_1194.png

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:18 - 29 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Hand

Put these on shuffle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSMCRD35ch4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX3iLfcMDCw

Mr. Green

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:51 - 29 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

Shocked Shocked Shocked , steady on chap Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:09 - 31 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tesco trip today and that was much better. Not many folks there compared to a normal weekday, shelves quite well stocked, only a few empty shelves, got everything I wanted. Maybe this madness is settling down a bit now, at last.

What I really hate about it, and I guess everyone else does too, is now I have to wait and see if I picked the damn lurgi up, despite all the recommended precautions that I could take. Talk about playing Russian (Chinese!) Roulette!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:03 - 31 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some fairly ingenious solutions in local small shops. One of them has installed one of those walk-in freezer curtains across the counter. You can reach through it but it massively reduces air movement.

Filling station shops are regeretting taking their night-pay windows out.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 26 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11