BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New biker

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

DaveTee
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:47 - 09 Mar 2020    Post subject: New biker Reply with quote

Hi all...63 and getting on a bike for the first time in about 45 years...previous one was a Honda SS50. I've been looking at various bikes and narrowed my choice down to the Keeyway Superlight 125 and the UM Renegade Commando Classic 125. I went and looked at some today and felt the UM was of lower quality, plus the Keeway felt more comfortable in the riding position.

My intention is to do day trips and get away for a couple of days at a time exploring and camping, seeing the countryside, etc., so could possibly do about 200mile in a day. Is the Keeway a good choice?

I'm on a pension so price is key also.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:00 - 09 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, I'm 63 this year as well. The more old farts on here to keep the children in check the better. Thumbs Up

About your question. Are you mechanically minded?

If you are, fine, you can keep on top of any little niggles that come up. If you aren't, then I wouldn't suggest Chinese.

Others will come along and tell you something completely different though.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:07 - 09 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chinese bikes have improved quality wise over the last couple of years.

200 miles in a day on a 125 would not be a major issue, Hell! Why not?
After all you’ve got all day Thumbs Up
As long as you do all the regular servicing and maintenance, I can’t see there being a problem.
200 miles a day on any well looked after 125 shouldn’t be to hard.

Teffers will be along shortly to tell you how you MUST get a full license ASAP.
Others will be along soon to tell you how all Chinese bikes are shit.
You make your own mind up.

Small bike touring Laughing , do it! Thumbs Up

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:28 - 09 Mar 2020    Post subject: Re: New biker Reply with quote

DaveTee wrote:
Hi all...63 and getting on a bike for the first time in about 45 years...previous one was a Honda SS50. I've been looking at various bikes and narrowed my choice down to the Keeyway Superlight 125 and the UM Renegade Commando Classic 125. I went and looked at some today and felt the UM was of lower quality, plus the Keeway felt more comfortable in the riding position.

My intention is to do day trips and get away for a couple of days at a time exploring and camping, seeing the countryside, etc., so could possibly do about 200mile in a day. Is the Keeway a good choice?

I'm on a pension so price is key also.

There have been a few on here, that I know of who have had keeway Superlights, my daughter also has 1, and, we've just picked up a decent 2nd hand 1 for her friend for when she turns 17. Ignore some of the other grumpy old farts who probably last looked at chinese bike 15 to 20 years ago, if it was down to them, you should be riding a BSA Bantam or some such clapped out old tat.

Keeway have been in the UK for quite sometime now, and from the very beginning, the Superlight's have been in theri range. Spares are very easy to come by, if needed, servicing, if you choose to do it yourself is exceptionally easy. As for keeping any corrosion at bay, nothing different to any other bike, rinse off any road salt, and, keep a coat of acf-50 on it. My daughter's has just gone through it's first winter, having had to deal with our trigger happy gritters here. No signs of corrosion anywhere, it's been ridden all over this winter, including in the downpours we've had recently, and still are now, it hasn't skipped a beat. 200 mile trips in a day, will be easily doable, she's only had hers since October, and we've been on a few 100-150 mile round trips, in less than optimal weather !!

I've ridden it, it's a nice comfy, lazy bike, and it will happily cruise at 60.

UM's are a more recent addition to the UK market, however, don't see many bad writeups from owners, I know a few from a few forums, and they seem generally happy with them. Quite heavy though, for a 125, seems to be the largest criticism, oh, and that they do seem a little lacking in power, which coupled to their weight, means uphill in a headwind may mean progress is sedate, however, that's just secondhand knowlege, not having had any personal experience with UM's

If you're up for spending a little more, have you looked at the AJS Highway Star, and the new Hyosung GV125.

Whichever you go for, you're unlikely to encounter any real issues that are any different or worse than bikes from any other country of manufacture. I would suspect, if you don't want to service it yourself, you can get a 125 serviced at a garage for between £60-£100 tops.

DaveTee
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:51 - 09 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all....Keeway it is Very Happy

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:07 - 09 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Word of warning on the Keeway. Most I rode on my Superlight was ~50 miles in one go. The factory seat is really comfy... for the first 20mins. After that you'd really want something firmer. See how you get on but don't feel too guilty if you splash out on an aftermarket seat.

Maintenance is pretty straightforward: regular oil changes, check the valve gaps. It's based on classic, air-cooled jap engines. Simple, reliable in my experience. Washing off road-crap and the odd ACF50 treatment would keep it looking spick and span indefinitely.

Personally if I was doing biggish miles I'd want something with a bit more poke. It may have a top speed of 60 but there isn't much left in it after that but that's more of a comment on 125s in general.

Lovely bike though and I count myself lucky to have chosen it as my first bike. If you do get your hands on one I can send you over the workshop manual Thumbs Up

Calumh96
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:59 - 10 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chinese bikes have really gone up in the market, parts are easier to source and the general reliability has improved they certainly aren't as useless as they used to be so I wouldn't worry about that too much.

Personally I think the Keeway is a bit over priced being at the higher end of the market for price with no real improvement in performance or quality, though I don't know the prices you have found the 2 bikes for.

Either way I would opt for the UM Renegade Commando as the slightly bigger wider bike I feel for long journeys you'd find yourself sinking into it a lot easier.

If you look away from these 2 bikes, Lexmoto are top tier of Chinese bikes, generally high in quality and they actually run the website Chinesemotorcycleparts so you can just about source any replacement parts for pennies. (not sure if they have a cruiser variety)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:10 - 10 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calumh96 wrote:
Chinese bikes have really gone up in the market, parts are easier to source and the general reliability has improved they certainly aren't as useless as they used to be so I wouldn't worry about that too much.

Personally I think the Keeway is a bit over priced being at the higher end of the market for price with no real improvement in performance or quality, though I don't know the prices you have found the 2 bikes for.

Either way I would opt for the UM Renegade Commando as the slightly bigger wider bike I feel for long journeys you'd find yourself sinking into it a lot easier.

If you look away from these 2 bikes, Lexmoto are top tier of Chinese bikes, generally high in quality and they actually run the website Chinesemotorcycleparts so you can just about source any replacement parts for pennies. (not sure if they have a cruiser variety)

I agree with you for the most part, however, the Keeway Superlight, cost wise, is in the more middle to lower price bracket, quality wise, the 1 my daughter has has been really good so far, having put ~ 2000 miles on it over winter, roll on spring & summer !!

I don't think Lexmoto really do a 'cruiser' any more, unless you count UM, importted & distributed by them, but AJS do, with the Highway Star, that comes in at £3000, it does however, look, and feel nice when sat on it, and looks to be good quality, also, from a brand loyalty perspective, if you have a Highway Star (125) and move onto an A2 license, AJS are scheduled to bring a 400cc version to the market as well.

The other 125 cruiser, is the new Hyosung GV125S, but that's at £3700, and, personally, I think the tank/seat, gap just looks odd, well it does to me anyhow.

Calumh96
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:37 - 10 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:

but AJS do, with the Highway Star, that comes in at £3000, it does however, look, and feel nice when sat on it, and looks to be good quality, also, from a brand loyalty perspective, if you have a Highway Star (125) and move onto an A2 license,

some good stuff you added there, I myself started on the AJS DD125e I believe was the model. A nice brand short of problems couldn't fault the machine I had. Very comfortable and quite sizeable too certainly didn't look or feel like a 125 to the untrained eye.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

dynax
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:57 - 10 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have owned a UM Renegade Classic for nearly a year now, and she has never let me down, and if i had too choose again i would still go for the UM, i have the Copper/Cream colour Thumbs Up

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/p1020581a.jpg

Last edited by dynax on 16:04 - 10 Mar 2020; edited 1 time in total

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:00 - 10 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveTee wrote:
Thanks all....Keeway it is Very Happy
I wouldn't worry about the bike too much and can't add anything that others have already said. The limiting factor for me would be the elements; where are you looking at going, and when? Get some good gear (or at least wrap up warm underneath your bike gear) and make sure you have thought about your hands. Even 8-10 degrees C can feel near to freezing on your hands with the windchill factor. So consider either heated grips, or bar muffs, or both, if you intend riding anytime soon. Also make sure you're comfortable riding in windy conditions; it can really knock you sideways on a light bike (and even on a heavy one).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:53 - 10 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

200 mile trips on a 10 horse, 150kg+, 125cc? Doable, I've done it but not alot of fun.

17 year olds have no choice, you do I'd consider a little bigger if you plan long jaunts.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:33 - 10 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
200 mile trips on a 10 horse, 150kg+, 125cc? Doable, I've done it but not alot of fun.

17 year olds have no choice, you do I'd consider a little bigger if you plan long jaunts.

Depends on the bike, I can say with certainty the Superlight is very comfy, and it will happily chug along without too much effort 60-65. Different, if it was say, a Mondial HPS125, cafe racer style, but even that was bearable for 250ish mile round trips, but, the Keeway definately more comfortable for the same distance. Alas, I've seen somewhere, a group of 50cc riders who do a european ride at least once a year.. That UM above, does look nice, and, is one I'd be very tempted with, but, if not the Keeway, I would probably go for the Highway Star.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:13 - 13 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
wr6133 wrote:

50cc riders who do a european ride.

I couldn’t find the European 50cc tour vid, however there’s this Thumbs Up
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M90QpkLpX94

200 miles on a 125 , pah easy Peasy!
Go on dooo iiiit! Thumbs Up

PotatoHead202...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:12 - 15 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are old enough to do a full licence then do so. Avoid 125's like the plague unless that's all you can ride due to age restriction or you're riding is purely in very heavy urban traffic.
Krystlespense... This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:30 - 04 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

PotatoHead2020 wrote:
Avoid 125's like the plague .

Yer, I’ll bet you’re one of those ‘MOAR POWAR!’ 10,000cc , 800bhp, newest superbike type of motorbike rider.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 329 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1