Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Are motorbikes safe. Is the risk of riding worth it?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

lifeisforlivi...
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 00:00 - 16 Mar 2020    Post subject: Are motorbikes safe. Is the risk of riding worth it? Reply with quote

Not sure why I have been looking at bikes, maybe because every time I go into the garage my bike is there sitting staring at me. I rode bikes and scooters from 16, nothing gets close to the feeling of riding a bike. I no longer ride after friends dying, passing fatal crashes and myself crashing I knew I was being warned to stay away.

When I crashed all I could think about was the image of the lorry behind me which fortunately stopped in time. I was lucky and one look at my kids and I quit there and then at 31. I said I didn't want to be the one in a coffin and my son reading a speech on how much he misses me. I crashed on a 125 scooter, I think down to oil or deisel on the road breaking in a straight line on a wet road and the front end washing out. On my bike test for the swerve test I locked the back but immediately released and reapplied and got no minors and got complemented on my control.

On a bike sometimes you are unlucky and it just comes down to luck. I now have a 2l turbo car and enjoy the performance and know I am a lot safer. I keep thinking maybe I should have some lessons again and maybe get something small capacity for fine weather riding. I have been mountain biking and love that which kind of satisfies being on a bike but with less risk so not sure what to do. I know the risks of dying on a bike are high.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:03 - 16 Mar 2020    Post subject: Re: Are motorbikes safe. Is the risk of riding worth it? Reply with quote

lifeisforliving wrote:

I think I speak for everyone on the forum when i say...

No. Yes.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:07 - 16 Mar 2020    Post subject: Re: Are motorbikes safe. Is the risk of riding worth it? Reply with quote

lifeisforliving wrote:
Not sure why I have been looking at bikes, maybe because every time I go into the garage my bike is there sitting staring at me. I rode bikes and scooters from 16, nothing gets close to the feeling of riding a bike. I no longer ride after friends dying, passing fatal crashes and myself crashing I knew I was being warned to stay away.

When I crashed all I could think about was the image of the lorry behind me which fortunately stopped in time. I was lucky and one look at my kids and I quit there and then at 31. I said I didn't want to be the one in a coffin and my son reading a speech on how much he misses me. I crashed on a 125 scooter, I think down to oil or deisel on the road breaking in a straight line on a wet road and the front end washing out. On my bike test for the swerve test I locked the back but immediately released and reapplied and got no minors and got complemented on my control.

On a bike sometimes you are unlucky and it just comes down to luck. I now have a 2l turbo car and enjoy the performance and know I am a lot safer. I keep thinking maybe I should have some lessons again and maybe get something small capacity for fine weather riding. I have been mountain biking and love that which kind of satisfies being on a bike but with less risk so not sure what to do. I know the risks of dying on a bike are high.

Apparently less dangerous than horse riding, but the organ donor stigma attached to motorcycling doesn't bother me.

If you're worried then that's a natural reaction, but if you're obsessing about it then maybe it's best you gave it up.

More training helps but if you're unlucky and another motorist doesn't see you then you're outcome is going to be poor, even if wearing the correct kit.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:11 - 16 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who cares, you could die of some unknown virus tomorrow. Get on a bike. Thumbs Up

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:17 - 16 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the inexperienced can be dangerous.
You sound old enough to have plenty of road miles one way or another.
A lot here will have had 2 or 3 incidents early on then gone for years with little more than embarrassing topple over when parking or similar events.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kyle.
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 00:21 - 16 Mar 2020    Post subject: Re: Are motorbikes safe. Is the risk of riding worth it? Reply with quote

lifeisforliving wrote:
I know the risks of dying on a bike are high.

No...no they are not.

lifeisforlivi...
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 00:25 - 16 Mar 2020    Post subject: Re: Are motorbikes safe. Is the risk of riding worth it? Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
lifeisforliving wrote:

I think I speak for everyone on the forum when i say...

No. Yes.

I know it is a bit of a stupid question but it is something I battle with in my head. I have had some amazing times riding, I took huge risks riding year round even in freezing conditions for years. All I was experiencing just before I crashed was deaths and thoughts about saftey. After attending friends funerals and seeing riders die it all got too heavy and I just walked away, it felt like someone was trying to tell me to stop. I have seen that with others though and they end up dying, like they were being sent the warning signs and didn't listen.

I want to live a long life and didn't want my selfishness if riding come before my children, it is a tough call as you do want to live life but I guess we all have to make choices.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lifeisforlivi...
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 00:26 - 16 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Who cares, you could die of some unknown virus tomorrow. Get on a bike. Thumbs Up

Ha ha very true!

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:28 - 16 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ride the bike or just sell it.

Maybe you should take up croesche/knitting Thumbs Up

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:30 - 16 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

People have different attitudes towards risk. I find Nassim Nicholas Taleb to have the most complete and insightful understanding of risk. I do find him convincing and influential. However, riding motorcycles is a risk too far in his risk philosophy. Then, you have to consider, what is it that gives life value. Taleb's as-yet-unwritten unified theory on this will come out of a particular tradition and philosophy which, ultimately, fails in the circular theism of Farabi and Sadra. That sort of stuff finds some universal resonance in social theories which elevate family life and structure - basic tribalism - to privilege. A lot of people come to motorcycles when they have more years behind them than ahead, in the hope they sort of cheated death by leaving behind heirs. But death is never cheated. You will be forgotten. So why not guve yourself a chance to enjoy the time you have left remaining. It could be less than 1 year or 4 decades. Same difference.

lifeisforlivi...
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 01:07 - 16 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
For the inexperienced can be dangerous.
You sound old enough to have plenty of road miles one way or another.
A lot here will have had 2 or 3 incidents early on then gone for years with little more than embarrassing topple over when parking or similar events.

I crashed my supermoto in the snow going 5mph as I had to get home, when I went out it wasn't snowing. I had to emergency stop from 45mph to avoid hitting a pedestrian that ran out from a stopped bus. I covered Nearly 40,000 miles on bikes and scooters up until I was 31. I wouldn't say I was a great rider but competent and riding my 600 definitely helped improve my skills. I crashed on my scooter though in a straight line. I think the risks these days are really high with pot holes, fuel and oil all over the road and car drivers that just don't know how to drive.

It isn't that I am afraid of bikes but rather the external factors that are out of my control. The other day I broke a spring on my car as the whole road had pot holes all over it and I couldn't avoid them. All it takes is to hit one in the dark or if the surface is weathered and off you come. I may see if I can get some lessons and trade my 600 in as I wouldn't mind something slower like a 400 single supermoto or KTM 390. I think having a chat with someone who has maybe gone through a bad crash and has lost friends like myself would help.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:17 - 16 Mar 2020    Post subject: Re: Are motorbikes safe. Is the risk of riding worth it? Reply with quote

lifeisforliving wrote:
I took huge risks riding year round even in freezing conditions for years. All I was experiencing just before I crashed was deaths and thoughts about saftey. After attending friends funerals and seeing riders die it all got too heavy and I just walked away, it felt like someone was trying to tell me to stop. I have seen that with others though and they end up dying, like they were being sent the warning signs and didn't listen.

I want to live a long life and didn't want my selfishness if riding come before my children, it is a tough call as you do want to live life but I guess we all have to make choices.

It's a decision only you can make. Yes, there are risks. Yes, many get away with a whole lifetime of riding without serious incident. Partly it is luck, but you can do much to mitigate the risk yourself.

If you don't like winter riding, don't do it. If you don't like city riding, don't do it. If you don't like going fast, don't go fast.

There's no point asking anyone else. Clearly anyone riding has assessed the risks to some degree, and decided it's worth it. If you don't think it is, then don't do it.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:24 - 16 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will probably not be on the bike when / if you die .... so that makes being on the bike pretty safe.

That's your risk mitigated.

Go ride Smile

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:34 - 16 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have known more people who died of cancer/old age, car crash than on a motorbike. And like most people on a bike forum, I suspect I know more motorcyclists than the average person.

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:41 - 16 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it’s too risky in your opinion don’t do it. Simple.

dynax
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 08:54 - 16 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may benefit from some advanced rider training from IAM or similar, reading what you wrote you seem to have a problem with reading the road and hazard perception, riding a bike involves more than just looking where you are going, you have to look and see all around you, you have to expect the unexpected, taking mental notes of road signs and positions of streetlights that indicate a hidden junction, are just some of the things you need to be able to do to ride with as much safety as possible, you may benefit from doing some of the hazard perception tests online just to help hone your skills, but the main thing is not to ride in situations that make you uncomfortable, those situations take away your concentration and then you will have more chance of dying, motorcycling is a very enjoyable and rewarding thing to do, but you have to do it the right way Thumbs Up

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:59 - 16 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have to ask, then perhaps it's not for you, as, you ares tarting off from a position of doubt. Also, whilst, I and a couple of others I know have crashed on bikes, I don't personally know anybody who corked it as a result ..

However, this is what raises concern ..

Quote:

I now have a 2l turbo car and enjoy the performance

Perhaps, you suffer from a conflict, of over confidence in your road abilities, and, lack of confidence when it comes to riding? As it is, you're probably going to have to take a cbt, unless you got a full bike license previously, so, do the cbt and take it from there.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:24 - 16 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not for everyone.

Just accept that it's not for you, and move on.

WreckTangle
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:12 - 16 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:
It's not for everyone.

Just accept that it's not for you, and move on.

can I just add my two cents to this?

according to statistics provided by the nhs, it was estimated that the total annual number of deaths of people with diabetes (in 2016) was between 70,000 and 75,000.

the amount of people killed by motorbike crashs was 5,337.

14 times more people are killed by diabetes....than die by biker accidents. Yet I bet you don't loose sleep every time you eat eat a chocolate bar? Wink

go on, get on the bike. Just remember the simple rule that I stick to, you should not be travelling at a speed that you cannot stop in the distance that you can see.............and for gods sake, don't do what I did and slam your rear brake on full in an emergency (like they way you were taught in your test) in the test environment it is easy to avoid, but on the road you have to be careful

And you will be fine Very Happy

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 12:06 - 16 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's a spectacular failure to interpret statistics. Rolling Eyes

Anyway. I nearly gave up bikes after a scary crash. I decided to stick with it and work at improving my skills. Lots of training to get better at road positioning and cornering, lots of off-roading to get better at coping with loss of traction. Skill and fun increased exponentially.

WreckTangle
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:18 - 16 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget a well, that when the traffic gets real bad, especially on a bad day, in a car........you can do nothing but sit in your hot sweaty car...........and go nowhere...... where as us bikers have the option of filtering Twisted Evil ............that the one perk about biking which looks terrify at first, but when you get use to it, it's a blast!

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 13:56 - 16 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

More people each year are murdered in the UK than are killed on motorbikes...... usually by some-one they know..... get it in context, bikes are dangerous, so are a lot of things; you gonna die of something.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:16 - 16 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just about the single most stupidest thing I ever did was ask a table full of BSB riders "aren't you scared of dying".

The silence was stunning, a very huge chin was rubbed & a now retired old & wizened one finally spoke on all of 'ems behalf.

"I'm scared of losing. If that was on my mind I wouldn't get on the bike".

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:38 - 16 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

“And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth.”

?

Are you Dr. Quack?

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:56 - 16 Mar 2020    Post subject: Re: Are motorbikes safe. Is the risk of riding worth it? Reply with quote

lifeisforliving wrote:
[
I know it is a bit of a stupid question but it is something I battle with in my head. I have had some amazing times riding, I took huge risks riding year round even in freezing conditions for years. All I was experiencing just before I crashed was deaths and thoughts about saftey. After attending friends funerals and seeing riders die it all got too heavy and I just walked away, it felt like someone was trying to tell me to stop. I have seen that with others though and they end up dying, like they were being sent the warning signs and didn't listen.

You need to modify your approach to motorcycling and the reason you do (or did) it.

From what you've written above it's fair to conclude that you were getting your jollies from taking unreasonable risks whilst riding, hence the numerous traumatic experiences.

Riding in the winter is not 'taking huge risks' by the way. Many of us ride through all weathers, you just modify to suit the conditions and carry on.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 40 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3