Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Are motorbikes safe. Is the risk of riding worth it?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

lifeisforlivi...
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 00:37 - 17 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undinist wrote:
Wow, that's a spectacular failure to interpret statistics. Rolling Eyes

Anyway. I nearly gave up bikes after a scary crash. I decided to stick with it and work at improving my skills. Lots of training to get better at road positioning and cornering, lots of off-roading to get better at coping with loss of traction. Skill and fun increased exponentially.

That makes complete sense, I never took advanced training after passing my test but did watch loads of videos on road positioning and control. When I did my CBT the local council offered a CBT plus course which I did. Maybe some training will help me get my confidence back. I have huge respect for larger bikes and know one error can result in a crash. I went from 125 to IL4 600 and that is a big jump in acceleration and performance. I think if I did get a bike again it would be a single supermoto or naked. I have my 600 to sell but it is off the road and no MOT at the moment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lifeisforlivi...
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 00:48 - 17 Mar 2020    Post subject: Re: Are motorbikes safe. Is the risk of riding worth it? Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
lifeisforliving wrote:
[
I know it is a bit of a stupid question but it is something I battle with in my head. I have had some amazing times riding, I took huge risks riding year round even in freezing conditions for years. All I was experiencing just before I crashed was deaths and thoughts about saftey. After attending friends funerals and seeing riders die it all got too heavy and I just walked away, it felt like someone was trying to tell me to stop. I have seen that with others though and they end up dying, like they were being sent the warning signs and didn't listen.

I want to live a long life and didn't want my selfishness if riding come before my children, it is a tough call as you do want to live life but I guess we all have to make choices.

You need to modify your approach to motorcycling and the reason you do (or did) it.

From what you've written above it's fair to conclude that you were getting your jollies from taking unreasonable risks whilst riding, hence the numerous traumatic experiences.

Riding in the winter is not 'taking huge risks' by the way. Many of us ride through all weathers, you just modify to suit the conditions and carry on.

I would disagree with winter riding not being dangerous. When there is ice / frost and lots of wet and gritted roads the risks are definitely a lot higher. I almost always obeyed speed limits and was not a careless rider. I think maybe sticking to better weather and getting some training is the best thing to do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:56 - 17 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

lifeisforliving wrote:
I think if I did get a bike again it would be a single supermoto or naked. I have my 600 to sell but it is off the road and no MOT at the moment.

How does a supermoto/naked equate to safer riding?

I managed to highside my first bike, a Mobylette Motobecane, that was not only a steep learning curve (never repeated a highside again in over 30 years riding) but bloody embarrassing too, if anything could be more embarrassing than having to knock about on one of those.
Moral of the story - make your mistakes, learn by them and then move on.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 04:23 - 17 Mar 2020    Post subject: Re: Are motorbikes safe. Is the risk of riding worth it? Reply with quote

lifeisforliving wrote:
I would disagree with winter riding not being dangerous. When there is ice / frost and lots of wet and gritted roads the risks are definitely a lot higher. I almost always obeyed speed limits and was not a careless rider. I think maybe sticking to better weather and getting some training is the best thing to do.

Well... there are more accidents in the summer... yup there's also more riders and more rider miles, but pro rate they also crash more.... which rather dents your hypothesis there.
There are risks in winter, same as in summer. whether there is more of them, or whether any are more dire than in summer is a very different matter.... what DOES tend to be more pronounced though, is that in winter, a lot of the risks are a tad more obvious, or at least the rider's more aware of them, than in summer when far too many are just a bit blase right up until the moment one bites them on the bum.
Seems to me that you have fallen into the perception trap where fears and ideas take precedent over facts, and the gulf between real actual odds and the 'risks' you make believe become rather diverse.
Its a very common trap.
Companies like Ladbrooks rely on it; every punter diminishes the odds of loosing because of the attraction of winning.
And you are, from offered comments a pretty typical 'punter'... you consider yourself to have far more influence over your safety than you do, and because you consider yourself to be 'safe' believe you will be... but there's still this enormous risk.. aren't you a hard dude to face it?
Well, the odds is the odds and you have FAR less influence than you make-believe, and this reality gap between actual and perceived risk, and your attitude to that, actually makes you the more, not less, likely to be a victim than a devil may care revin-kevin, or an ATGAT safety freak with day-glo stripes on their panniers and a 'Polite' bib.
As said, more people are murdered each year in the UK than are killed on motorcycles... and we have one of the lowest murder rates in Europe, let alone mad yanks touting 9mm's!
THAT is statistics... consider them or dismiss them, its your call, but they are a fact. Ideas of how dangerous bikes may be,are just that, ideas, NOT facts.
If you really believe that in the face of facts, that winter is more dangerous than summer... then that's up to you.... believe whatever makes you comfortable.... there's millions that have an imaginary friend that promises them an eternal ever-after that relish that comfort.... personally I have never seen any-one walk on water, so I'm a little sceptical... but believe what you like.. but of you DISMISS actual verifiable FACTS and persist in your beliefs in preference?
Well?
Don't let something as silly as the truth, spoil your bed-time story!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Royski
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 09:39 - 17 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
More people each year are murdered in the UK than are killed on motorbikes...... usually by some-one they know..... get it in context, bikes are dangerous, so are a lot of things; you gonna die of something.

Very much this. I don't WANT to die, but if I'm going to die of something other than old age; I'd rather it was doing something/someone I love.

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 09:55 - 17 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

lifeisforliving wrote:
Undinist wrote:
Wow, that's a spectacular failure to interpret statistics. Rolling Eyes

Anyway. I nearly gave up bikes after a scary crash. I decided to stick with it and work at improving my skills. Lots of training to get better at road positioning and cornering, lots of off-roading to get better at coping with loss of traction. Skill and fun increased exponentially.

That makes complete sense, I never took advanced training after passing my test but did watch loads of videos on road positioning and control. When I did my CBT the local council offered a CBT plus course which I did. Maybe some training will help me get my confidence back. I have huge respect for larger bikes and know one error can result in a crash. I went from 125 to IL4 600 and that is a big jump in acceleration and performance. I think if I did get a bike again it would be a single supermoto or naked. I have my 600 to sell but it is off the road and no MOT at the moment.

I'm glad we agree. Very Happy I recommend you start by joining your local IAM or Rospa group. You will meet helpful, experienced people who know what the good training options are in your area. You'll get much better advice than you've received in this thread!

In the UK in 2017 there were 116.9 motorcyclist fatalities per billion passenger miles, 61.5 times the rate of 1.9 fatalities per billion passenger miles for occupants of cars. But these numbers only tell you what has happened to other people in the past. They don't determine what will happen to you in the future. You have already decided that the 'it won't happen to me' belief is wrong. Just that change in your attitude will improve your odds a great deal. If you get training, wear good gear and don't ride under the influence you will dramatically improve your chances.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:32 - 17 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Move sideways Smile

Feeling unsafe on the road and don't want to be a statistic? Go off-road! Get a dirt bike and tool about fields and gravel at 10mph, lots of fun and most likely just broken limbs rather than red-smear death Very Happy

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:23 - 17 Mar 2020    Post subject: Re: Are motorbikes safe. Is the risk of riding worth it? Reply with quote

lifeisforliving wrote:
Are motorbikes safe. Is the risk of riding worth it?

A rather jarring username you have there, under the circumstances?

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:29 - 17 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most stuff in life that is properly fun carries an element of risk . . . it's fun because of the risk and the fact you get through the activity without coming a cropper. I climb ice, motorbike, cycle 20 miles a day in and out of Manchester, drink more than the recommended units and enjoy my food. I suspect my undoing won't be the motorbike though.

As said, an advanced / IAM type course might be handy. I'm not convinced about the "biking isn't for you" argument; you've already racked up plenty of bike miles so I think you enjoy it (or can do). Other thing is the machine; maybe time for a change of pace, so rather than haring around B-roads, bumbling on back lanes on a RE or something?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:20 - 17 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
Most stuff in life that is properly fun carries an element of risk . . . it's fun because of the risk and the fact you get through the activity without coming a cropper. I climb ice, motorbike, cycle 20 miles a day in and out of Manchester, drink more than the recommended units and enjoy my food. I suspect my undoing won't be the motorbike though.

As said, an advanced / IAM type course might be handy. I'm not convinced about the "biking isn't for you" argument; you've already racked up plenty of bike miles so I think you enjoy it (or can do). Other thing is the machine; maybe time for a change of pace, so rather than haring around B-roads, bumbling on back lanes on a RE or something?

Mmmm, you're only as mad as the bike you're riding...

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 02:32 - 18 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

WreckTangle wrote:
jnw010 wrote:
It's not for everyone.

Just accept that it's not for you, and move on.

can I just add my two cents to this?

according to statistics provided by the nhs, it was estimated that the total annual number of deaths of people with diabetes (in 2016) was between 70,000 and 75,000.

the amount of people killed by motorbike crashs was 5,337.

14 times more people are killed by diabetes....than die by biker accidents. Yet I bet you don't loose sleep every time you eat eat a chocolate bar? Wink

go on, get on the bike. Just remember the simple rule that I stick to, you should not be travelling at a speed that you cannot stop in the distance that you can see.............and for gods sake, don't do what I did and slam your rear brake on full in an emergency (like they way you were taught in your test) in the test environment it is easy to avoid, but on the road you have to be careful

And you will be fine Very Happy

That can't be right..., only 1784 people died on the roads in total cars, bikes, cycles, and pedestrians.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/834585/reported-road-casualties-annual-report-2018.pdf

Only 354 bike casualties , see page 9!

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:09 - 18 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve the grease wrote:

That can't be right..., only 1784 people died on the roads in total cars, bikes, cycles, and pedestrians.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/834585/reported-road-casualties-annual-report-2018.pdf

Consider yourselves lucky, this is why I'd rather be pre-diabetic than own a bike at the moment! Figures for Florida only!!! Shocked
https://www.flhsmv.gov/traffic-crash-reports/crash-dashboard/

https://www.floridahealth.gov/provider-and-partner-resources/dac/_documents/dac-report-january2017.pdf

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:10 - 18 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything we do in life carries risk. Even driving in your cage you're risking your life every time you go out on the road. Sitting in your house self-isolating you're still at risk, ok you're unlikely to be run over by a bus or knocked off your bike sitting in your house but you might have a brain clot or a plane land on your house. I wouldn't let it worry you. If you wanna ride a bike, go bungee jumping, sky diving or white water rafting then do it! Don't be reckless, look after yourself, mind your back, watch out for the dickheads and mitigate against them as much as possible with the correct speed, road positioning, reflective gear, defensive riding etc., do the things you enjoy, have a good life and just hope it's a long one x

I think I heard a statistic somewhere about there being a higher percentage of injuries and deaths for horse riders than motorcyclists. You wouldn't class that as a dangerous activity would you? It's just because there are so many more motorcyclists around than there are horse riders it skews the perception.

I will say this though - I'm glad I didn't get into biking until my 30s as I'm convinced I'd have been dead before I was 20 if I'd got into it at 16/17.

pepperami wrote:
Maybe you should take up croesche/knitting Thumbs Up

Nah that can be just as dangerous.

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/11/12/10/20901494-7676213-Doctors_in_Utah_said_the_needle_went_through_the_bone_at_the_bac-a-6_1573554135198.jpg

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-7676213/Three-year-old-escapes-death-knitting-needle-penetrated-BRAIN.html

Last edited by DUCAUDI on 03:31 - 18 Mar 2020; edited 3 times in total

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:37 - 18 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuberculosis wrote:
I think I heard a statistic somewhere about there being a higher percentage of injuries and deaths for horse riders than motorcyclists. You wouldn't class that as a dangerous activity would you? It's just because there are so many more motorcyclists around than there are horse riders it skews the perception.

Only City Folk would say such a thing Shocked

I have some "woke" friends and occasionally I troll steer the conversation towards fox hunting, being originally from the sticks an' all...

Foxes in the country aren't like the scavengers in the cities, almost a different animal.

"Oh but fox hunting is incredibly cruel - the hounds literally tear the fox apart when they catch it!"

Yeah, but who rides in hunts?

"A load of fucking toffs!"

Mmm... and it's easy to get thrown from a horse, maybe break your neck.

"Errr... yes?"

So what's more important? Saving some mangy foxes or killing off toffs?

<cue cognitive dissonance>

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:44 - 18 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL!

I live in the country, my youngest takes horse riding lessons and my eldest is a professional jockey.

Although I was born and raised in Cambridge (proper inner city urban stuff, no leafy suburbs where I come from haha) so I like to think I can see things from both sides and make an informed decision Shocked

Yeah fox hunting is cruel but you're right the ends justify the means and it probably IS worth it in the long run if it means fewer TOBYs on our roads.

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:20 - 18 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motorcycles are dangerous , but there are ways of moderating that. It depends what is your idea of fun, mine is a bit of green laning and trundling down some country road like the Abergwesin common road ( check it out), where you would rarely meet another vehicle, on a modestly powered bike. Some people it seems, enjoy the adrealine rush of tearing down the westway at 140 pulling a wheelie. Thereagain several of my mates have died in crashes so it tends to focus the mind.

Claud 14.7 to 1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:47 - 20 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion someone riding carefully on a motorbike is safer than someone driving badly or recklessly in a car.

Or put another way, a sensible motorbike rode sensibly by a sensible rider I think is quite safe enough and I say that being quite a risk averse person by nature.

Most of it comes down to how the rider rides I think.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:14 - 21 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "facts" (actually stats but you know what I mean) are thus:

Most accidents are a collision between a motorcycle and a car. Of these it's either down to rider error or the car not giving right of way. So if one were to a) ride safely and not be a dick and b) assume you lose right of way by riding a bike you'll (hopefully) never be involved in a road traffic collision.

Of the non-collision accidents, e.g. overcooking a turn and ending up in a hedge almost all are down to rider error. Mechanical failure, punctures and dodgy road surfaces barely make it into the statistics.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 01:57 - 21 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Of the non-collision accidents, e.g. overcooking a turn and ending up in a hedge almost all are down to rider error. Mechanical failure, punctures and dodgy road surfaces barely make it into the statistics.

That's be because the stats are taken variously from police reports, hospital admissions and insurance claims.
No one really knows how many 'single vehicle' accidents occur, because they rarely result in a police report, hospital admission or insurance claim, hence get into the stats.
What we do know is that this raft of 'unrecorded' incidents is large, and likely larger than all other 'recorded' motorcycle accidents put together, but how big that may be remains pretty much speculation.
Ponder-Point; chap fumbles a garage queen Ducati and falls foul of the suicide stand. resulting in umpety thousand quids worth of fairing damage... no one hurt, but costs a lot. Because garage queen its insured fully-comp, and owner probably a more mature and affluent type has relatively low policy excess, makes claim; so the 'accident' that happened on their drive way, in which no blood was spilled, makes the stats.
On the other hand, 17 year old with 2nd hand Lexmoto, comes off on a bit of gravel going to college, and near totalls the bike. Insured TPO and with hefty XS. gets Dad to come collect them in the family people mover; spends a month moaning, and being told "I told you bikes wuz day-njruss!" Enehenever he asks where the elasto-plast are, to be told "Stopnpicking! you'll just make it worse!".. hen decided to straighten the handlebars with a scaffold pole, gaffer tape up the indicators and re-attatch the foot-peg with cable ties..... No clai, made, so no entry in the stats, despite the injury..
And there's every thing in between.

But point is that the stats are inordinately unreliable.... but unfortunately they're all we got!

Only real solace we can take, is that 'most'; single bike accidents don't result in much rider injury, or there'd be a hospital admission entry, and the vast majority of accidents, recorded or not, are not actually all that serious.... though sore teenager picking gravel out there arm during English GCSE and trying to figure out how many burgers they will have to flip to buy a new pair of fork stanchions, will probably argue you blind to the contrary.....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

spottedtango
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:35 - 21 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think one of the major things I've learned that's kept me alive so far is always ride with something in reserve. The amount of times this has saved me is priceless.

So as long as you never go flat out on a public road, have a decent amount of hazard perception. id say your risks are very low and yes its worth it.

The feeling of riding home on a warm balmy night with the wind in your face is fantastic and then when you hit the city you can smell all the takeaway food, beer and warm oily smell of the bike as it heats up in town. Cant put a price on it.

WreckTangle
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:51 - 21 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve the grease wrote:

sorry, I forgot to report this was a health report I read about an medical report about usa biker deaths in 2016

https://www.iii.org/fact-statistic/facts-statistics-motorcycle-crashes

still if you want to just look at the uk, 7551 people died of alcohol in 2018

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/causesofdeath/bulletins/alcoholrelateddeathsintheunitedkingdom/2018

yet the whiskey still sold in the shops Very Happy

No one looses sleep when they have a 'tipple' (as my mum calls it, she would know she drinks more wine in a month than 100 cars consume petrol in a whole year!)

Weirdly enough, I found this,
https://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2012/11/6/1352225082582/Mortality-rates-big-graph-001.jpg

I know it is out of date, but in 2011 more people died as a 'car occupant in a transport accident' than on a bike Eh?
(679 car occupants dies compared to 317 bikers....go figure)

To the original thread post, Aside from the extremely low chance of dying, just go onto youtube and/or google just whack in the word ' biker tour/roadtrip' you will see that there is more to bike than just going fast. I got in to biking as my friend goes on worldwide bike trips on his bike, and fect me, at the time being a car driver........filled with envy Mad

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:07 - 21 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people die in bed. Dangerous things, beds.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:58 - 21 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

spottedtango wrote:
I think one of the major things I've learned that's kept me alive so far is always ride with something in reserve. The amount of times this has saved me is priceless.

So as long as you never go flat out on a public road, have a decent amount of hazard perception. id say your risks are very low and yes its worth it.

The feeling of riding home on a warm balmy night with the wind in your face is fantastic and then when you hit the city you can smell all the takeaway food, beer and warm oily smell of the bike as it heats up in town. Cant put a price on it.

Always ride at 6/10ths as Yammie Noob would say.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:01 - 21 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, "safe" Thinking

Safe as in physical well being, no broken legs, concussion etc.? More to life than that! You also have to keep your mental health "safe" too and as I often say: 20 years of doing it, car driving in London is depressing, motorcycles = pure freedom and joy in comparison.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:54 - 21 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

No they are not safe if the person riding it is not competent to operate it.

Some people maybe should not ride motorbikes.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 30 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3