Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Budget gaming pc upgrade

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

cyberglass
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:34 - 16 Mar 2020    Post subject: Budget gaming pc upgrade Reply with quote

Its upgrade time for me as my current build is struggling with occulus rift s.

Have 600 to spend just need Cpu, Ram and a Gpu

Currently looking at
Cpu
Ryzen 3600x £195

Mainboard
Msi-b450-gaming-plus-max £95

Gpu
GTX1070 2nd hand £200
was also looking at the 1660 but was advised to look at a 2nd hand 1070.

And 16gb of whatever ram i can get cheap off facebook market place

are there any alternatives or improvements i can get before i start ordering things.

Thanks in advance Smile

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:32 - 16 Mar 2020    Post subject: Re: Budget gaming pc upgrade Reply with quote

cyberglass wrote:
Its upgrade time for me as my current build is struggling with occulus rift s.

Have 600 to spend just need Cpu, Ram and a Gpu

Currently looking at
Cpu
Ryzen 3600x £195

Mainboard
Msi-b450-gaming-plus-max £95

Gpu
GTX1070 2nd hand £200
was also looking at the 1660 but was advised to look at a 2nd hand 1070.

And 16gb of whatever ram i can get cheap off facebook market place

are there any alternatives or improvements i can get before i start ordering things.

Thanks in advance Smile

I would suggest getting a Ryzen 2600 as a CPU and put saving into the fastest GPU you can get. CPU doesn't make much difference in gaming FPS.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:24 - 16 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CPU is what says how many FPS the GPU will draw. If you have a weak GPU, you may reduce the graphics detail, screen resolution and post-processing effects to gain more FPS. If your CPU is slow, there's nothing, unless you overclock it, that you could do to improve your gaming performance.

That being said, for 60Hz gaming, any modern mid-range CPU would do, I guess.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:26 - 17 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
The CPU is what says how many FPS the GPU will draw. If you have a weak GPU, you may reduce the graphics detail, screen resolution and post-processing effects to gain more FPS. If your CPU is slow, there's nothing, unless you overclock it, that you could do to improve your gaming performance.

That being said, for 60Hz gaming, any modern mid-range CPU would do, I guess.

Extensive has been done on this by Gamers Nexus for example. I suggested a 2600 as its still on the high side, but also really cheap, and it has 6 cores/12 thread so it is more future proof than Intel processors. A 1600 would also be fine but the price difference between 1600 and 2600 isn't much so might as well go for the 2600.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

defblade
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:41 - 17 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ummed and aahhed for a while then built this:
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Defblade/saved/#view=Xfpht6
a couple of weeks ago.
I paid extra for the GPU as I really like having a very quiet PC, so you may find you can lose £40 on the total (also ditch the extra fan - that was just something I needed to replace a dodgy one).
It's fast as fuck compared to the last build (i5/GTX 960/12GB) Smile

Watch out for re-installing Win10, it seems the "transfer digital licence" that the MS help pages mention no longer works with a MB change - try and make sure you have a Win 7 key available - see https://scottiestech.info/2019/01/15/victory-reactivate-windows-10-after-a-hardware-upgrade/

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:57 - 17 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just built a new system for myself, so I'm stripping out the old PC for another project that doesn't rely on having a decent(ish) graphics card. Since I'm not going to be playing any games on the old one I have a GTX 660 that I can throw in there, leaving me with a refurbished GTX 1060 (6gb), if you (or anyone else) want(s) to make an offer around the £100 mark Wink
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 40 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1