Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Diagnosing dead battery vs charge leakage etc?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:56 - 16 Mar 2020    Post subject: Diagnosing dead battery vs charge leakage etc? Reply with quote

My car suddenly refused to start the other day due to a flat battery; I stuck it on charge overnight which apparently worked OK, next day it started fine. But the following day - same problem - as if I'd left the lights on overnight or something (I hadn't).

I assume this is likely to be a dead battery in need of replacement (it's about 5 years old)? But if so, why did it charge up OK? And could the battery actually be good but being drained somehow (ie, so a new battery would just suffer the same fate?) How to tell?

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:56 - 16 Mar 2020    Post subject: Re: Diagnosing dead battery vs charge leakage etc? Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
My car suddenly refused to start the other day due to a flat battery; I stuck it on charge overnight which apparently worked OK, next day it started fine. But the following day - same problem - as if I'd left the lights on overnight or something (I hadn't).

I assume this is likely to be a dead battery in need of replacement (it's about 5 years old)? But if so, why did it charge up OK? And could the battery actually be good but being drained somehow (ie, so a new battery would just suffer the same fate?) How to tell?

If it's supplying current when everything's off, a meter will tell you how much. Make sure you have your radio code or anything else you need before disconnecting.

If it's not charging when on the ve-hickle I assume you will see a lihght.,

It does sound as if the battery'sFSCK'd. Tayna is your friend.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:19 - 16 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the same problem a few weeks ago.
Car wouldn't start, charged the battery up, off we went!
Couple of days later same thing, but this time we needed to leave the car in an airport car park for a few days, so it was new battery time.
Went to the local motor factors and told him what I wanted, he asked "how old the battery was", "8 years old" I said.
He laughed and said "you're lucky, they normally last 5 or 6 years"

I didn't fit the new battery straight away, stuck with the old one, and kept the new one in the boot. The old battery was flat after four days in the car park, so put the new on.

Charged the old one up again, it lasted a couple of weeks.
From fully charged, if you attach a meter, you can see it losing charge, about half a volt every couple of hours.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:32 - 16 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The easy way to tell if there is a drain or the battery is fucked is to disconnect the earth and then charge it up. If it's still charged a couple of days later the battery is fine. If not its not.

Edit: fixed all the dyslexic typing.

Last edited by Nobby the Bastard on 08:03 - 17 Mar 2020; edited 1 time in total

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:49 - 16 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
The easy way to tell if there is a drain or 5hebbattery usbfucked is t8 disc8nne t the earth and then charge it up. If it's still charged a couple of days later the battery is fine. If not 8ts not.

You have been drinking. Good. So hav I/.

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 02:48 - 17 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worrapens is that the material from the battery plates falls off over time and forms a conductive sludge in the bottom of the battery. This then internally shorts the cells, running the battery down. time for a new one. I bet it gets warm when you charge it.
Plus with a new battery the engine turns over faster , for ages longer , improving starting.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:57 - 17 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve the grease wrote:
Worrapens is that the material from the battery plates falls off over time and forms a conductive sludge in the bottom of the battery. This then internally shorts the cells, running the battery down. time for a new one. I bet it gets warm when you charge it.
Plus with a new battery the engine turns over faster , for ages longer , improving starting.

Not the most common cause of battery weakness.

The chemistry of the battery changes making it less able to hold a store of energy (as chemisty).

When the battery dead shorts it normally won't charge or hold any charge.

A 5 year old car possibly has a power management system and one of those modules is failing.

The power management distribution is always able to take power directly from the battery to allow windows, door lock etc. to operate from remote.

The charge could be leaking through an energised module to other circuits.

If the OP has a 10 amp meter, remove positive cable, connect the red meter cable to battery positive. Connect the positive cable to the meter negative. This let's the battery energy flow through the meter.
And current will be indicated if any circuits are live with ignition/accessory off (key in jacket pocket).

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:25 - 17 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably the battery, considering the age of it just get another at this stage.
A cheaper test of sorts would be to borrow another known good used one if at all possible.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 09:28 - 17 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check to see if any internal light remain on e.g boot light

megaross
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 09:56 - 17 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Test for a parasitic draw. Get your multimeter, black lead to com, red to amps and set it to measure amps.

Disconnect your negative cable and connect your multimeter between that and your battery. Leave it to settle it's tits down if it's a modern car with loads of electronics.

If you've got a draw over 50ma (ish) then it's got a parasitic draw (start pulling fuses to find out where from).

If not then your battery is probably toast, you can do a time analysis on that by disconnecting the battery and measuring the voltage every couple of hours. It'll become obvious fast if that's the case.

Annoyingly I once had a parasitic draw that was intermittent, two wires were shorting in the boot turning the light on but only if the car had shaken them into position so it didn't show on the tests, I only found it by chance. That was fun to find Laughing

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:56 - 17 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's still much easier to see if the battery stays charged if its disconnected.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 41 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1