Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

CRF450X New Battery

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Yaw
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:31 - 20 Jul 2020    Post subject: CRF450X New Battery Reply with quote

So I bought a CRF450X (2011) and a CBR500R (2013) in 2016. Since then I haven't ridden either as I never got around to doing my test, both have been stored in my garage and started rarely. Both have around 10K miles on the clocks and I've now arrived at the decision to ride.

What will I need to get them MOT'd? The CBR battery was fine and has been left on a trickle charger. But the CRF battery is more or less dead.

Now to start with I want to get a new battery for the CRF450X, the one in the bike when purchased was the original Yuasa TTZ7S but as that died I sourced a replacement a while back and just got a cheap JMT JMTTZ7S-BS. The issue I had with this battery was that it wouldn't turn the bike over, the engine would crank but not ignite. Whereas the original battery would turn the engine over with ease but then die.

So I basically need a battery that will turn the bike over and keep charge. As it should haha.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:46 - 20 Jul 2020    Post subject: Re: CRF450X New Battery Reply with quote

Yaw wrote:
Now to start with I want to get a new battery for the CRF450X, the one in the bike when purchased was the original Yuasa TTZ7S

You can try Tayna, which is my battery supplier of choice. Look for, in order:

Physical size: will an "equivalent" fit?
Position of the battery terminals: are they the same as what you're replacing, or are your wires long enough?
"CCA": Is it near enough or above the original's?

Guarantee: If you have a choice of batteries, get the one with the longest guarantee, and keep your receipt.

If the guarantees are the same ;length, get the cheaper one.

Yaw
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:55 - 20 Jul 2020    Post subject: Re: CRF450X New Battery Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Yaw wrote:
Now to start with I want to get a new battery for the CRF450X, the one in the bike when purchased was the original Yuasa TTZ7S

You can try Tayna, which is my battery supplier of choice. Look for, in order:

Physical size: will an "equivalent" fit?
Position of the battery terminals: are they the same as what you're replacing, or are your wires long enough?
"CCA": Is it near enough or above the original's?

Guarantee: If you have a choice of batteries, get the one with the longest guarantee, and keep your receipt.

If the guarantees are the same ;length, get the cheaper one.

Oh so it's not specific to the bike. I was looking at the YTZ7S which is from what I read more or less the same as the TTZ7S, other than a few small differences and it's on Amazon at £55 right now. Now that I look at the JMT, it did have a 2 year warranty but I was unaware. I'll have a look right now using the information you've given me. So the CCA is the Amperage that the battery sends? I think the stock is 90CCA and the replacement I got is a claimed 130CCA, so it makes no sense why it wouldn't turn the bike over.

Thanks.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:17 - 20 Jul 2020    Post subject: Re: CRF450X New Battery Reply with quote

Yaw wrote:
Oh so it's not specific to the bike. I was looking at the YTZ7S which is from what I read more or less the same as the TTZ7S, other than a few small differences and it's on Amazon at £55 right now. Now that I look at the JMT, it did have a 2 year warranty but I was unaware. I'll have a look right now using the information you've given me. So the CCA is the Amperage that the battery sends? I think the stock is 90CCA and the replacement I got is a claimed 130CCA, so it makes no sense why it wouldn't turn the bike over

CCA is a measure of power the battery can supply when it's freezing cold, which is a useful reference for comparing batteries. Basically, the bigger the CCA, the more oomph the battery can supply (freezing or above, within reason) to start an engine.

If you have something that can supply 130 CCA and the original is 90 CCA, I would suggest that the battery's FSCK'd, or there is another problem with the bike.

If I look on Tayna for "YTZ7S" compatibles, I see:

https://www.tayna.co.uk/motorcycle-batteries/types/ytz7s/

I would buy the really, *really* cheap "LTZ7-3 Leoch Powerstart AGM Motorcycle Battery" to see what it's like, also because it's the same capacity and CCA, and has a 2-year guarantee.

Perhaps they have made a mistake with the price, or there's a website error, or it's a new unannounced offer. I would check with Tayna, 'cos it seems an outstanding bargain.

However, as said before, perhaps your bike's battery is not the issue?

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 09:51 - 22 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick with Yuasa
they are worth every penny.

at a push you can pick that up at Halfords.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 10:57 - 22 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try just sticking a charger on the batteries you have, they might recover.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:34 - 22 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinK98 wrote:
Stick with Yuasa
they are worth every penny.

at a push you can pick that up at Halfords.

This.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:17 - 22 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
ColinK98 wrote:
Stick with Yuasa
they are worth every penny. at a push you can pick that up at Halfords.

This.

I am interested in this.

Manufacturers go to a great deal of trouble testing their products to calculate optimal limits for warranty policies to minimize warranty costs, and to maintain consumer confidence in buying their products.

I've just called Tayna, and had a chat to a helpful chap there, who saud that if a fault is detected within 6 months, they will collect the battery for examination, but if it's over 6 months, the consumer will have to return it for examination, and if a fault such as low CCA, a voltage drop on a cell, or whatever (but not physical damage, sulphation, ...) is found, a new battery will be dispatched and Tayna claim their money back from the manufacturer (I did not ask about postage cost if the fault was found after 6 months but before the end of the guarantee; I assume it would be refunded). I specifically asked about an expensive brand having half the guarantee period of an extremely cheap one, and he said "they don't have a lot coming back, they all last longer than the guarantee".

So there's a bit of a dilemma.

Battery A and battery B have the same specifications.

Battery A costs 1/4 of the cost of battery B.

Battery A has twice the guarantee of battery B.

Why shoud the consumer consider buying battery B? Because of the B's name? If battery B is a superior option, and really does last longer, why doesn't the company offer a much longer guarantee than battery A's, to improve sales?

Perhaps this should be a non-workshop thread. What do you think?

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 13:06 - 22 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about you, but I buy batteries based on brand reputation. A no-name battery could claim a 5 year warranty, I still wouldn't buy it because:
1. I don't trust them to actually honour the warranty.
2. A battery failing is a massive ballache. I have all of the costs/time outside of the battery itself to consider - getting me and the bike home, diagnosing the problem, removing the battery, having the bike off the road until I have a decent battery.

It isn't really worth saving £30 every 5 years if I don't trust the bike to work.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:19 - 22 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've restarted this in "General Bike Chat" to avoid clogging up "The Workshop".

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 16:04 - 22 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the day when i was racing karts.
they were based on a loss system meaning there was no charging of the battery during a race.

the number of people who's karts would fail during the race or refused to start properly at the start of the race was far too many.

Our spanners and team manager would insist that we all ran Yuasa batteries.

They were proven time and time again to be the best units.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 280 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1