Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Hyosung GT125R gear lever sliding

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Royski
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:51 - 19 Mar 2020    Post subject: Hyosung GT125R gear lever sliding Reply with quote

Hi,

I sometimes can’t change gear because my gear lever feels stuck solid. Upon inspection, it’s catching on one of the fixing bolts for the foot plate. My gear lever is sliding on its fixing. Is there a safe way to hold it in place while also allowing it to still rotate to select gears? Maybe some sort of clip?

Attached a pic of the part I mean
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Royski
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:08 - 19 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lateral movement, yes! (Sorry it’s been a long ass day)

I need it to be as far out from the bike as possible, if it slides toward the body of the bike, that’s when it catches. There doesnt seem to be anything stopping it from doing so. My previous bike did have an adjustable screw to tighten it, whereas this one is just a circular hole.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:10 - 19 Mar 2020    Post subject: Re: Hyosung GT125R gear lever sliding Reply with quote

Royski wrote:
Hi,

I sometimes can’t change gear because my gear lever feels stuck solid. Upon inspection, it’s catching on one of the fixing bolts for the foot plate. My gear lever is sliding on its fixing. Is there a safe way to hold it in place while also allowing it to still rotate to select gears? Maybe some sort of clip?

Attached a pic of the part I mean

It looks as though your hole's deformed. You could try reaming it out with something, then making up a spacer (e.g. a cut off piece of tube) to press into it. Then the long bit would not waggle about so much and get caught on your nuts.

EDIT: It might be good to post a pic of the shaft that fits into it, and the normal fixing.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:25 - 19 Mar 2020    Post subject: Re: Hyosung GT125R gear lever sliding Reply with quote

Finbarr Saunders wrote:
It looks as though your hole's deformed. You could try reaming it out with something, then making up a spacer (e.g. a cut off piece of tube) to press into it. Then the long bit would not waggle about so much and get caught on your nuts.

EDIT: It might be good to post a pic of the shaft that fits into it, and the normal fixing.

10/10 would innuendo again Thumbs Up

Surely it must slide onto the shaft (fnarr, fnarr) and be held in place by a split pin, circlip or something?

Royski
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:37 - 19 Mar 2020    Post subject: Re: Hyosung GT125R gear lever sliding Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Finbarr Saunders wrote:

10/10 would innuendo again Thumbs Up

Surely it must slide onto the shaft (fnarr, fnarr) and be held in place by a split pin, circlip or something?

I was expecting something like a clip or something on the end, but it’s just sat on there. I’ll take some pictures of the full assembly in the morning. Tried just now but it’s too damn dark.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:46 - 19 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks as though your alloy hole should already have a steel ring piece pressed into it, which on yours looks, from the photo, as if it's partially worn away by the rod (bolt?) it fits over.

Royski
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 08:06 - 20 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
It looks as though your alloy hole should already have a steel ring piece pressed into it, which on yours looks, from the photo, as if it's partially worn away by the rod (bolt?) it fits over.

Heh, ring piece. Razz

Thanks, just taken another look and I think I am missing a component.

I’m going to try to stick a circlip on the end this weekend as a short term and look at what’s actually meant to be there.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:22 - 20 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you are missing the bush that should be a firm press fit into the large hole at the pivot end

https://www.hyosungspares.co.uk/products/genuine-gear-shift-lever-comp-cam-gt125r-gt250r-gt250-naked

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:20 - 20 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, a bush. Rather like a ring piece in some ways. Some bushes have self-lubricating properties..
..such as those made from phosphor-bronze.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:51 - 20 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's sad when a bush gets old and worn and no longer accepts free movement of the shaft Sad

Still, could be worse, you go down there and find the bush is entirely absent... just smooth, shiny surface, very disconcerting Shocked

Royski
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:54 - 23 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
Looks like you are missing the bush that should be a firm press fit into the large hole at the pivot end

https://www.hyosungspares.co.uk/products/genuine-gear-shift-lever-comp-cam-gt125r-gt250r-gt250-naked

Well, I have stuck a circlip on there which seems to be doing the job. Had a nice, long ride around Halifax on Sunday without any issues selecting gears.

I have ordered a new full assembly though. It looks a bit shagged. I think this bike was involved in a minor drop prior to my owning it as it looks like it has been slightly bend out of shape.

Well thanks for the input everyone. I'll let you get back to tightening your nuts and lubing your shafts.

martin734
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:15 - 23 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it looks like it is out of shape I would not be riding it. Have you taken all of the plastic off and checked the frame for damage and cracked welds? I really think you should get the bike checked before riding it again a "minor drop" doesn't usually result in a bike becoming bent out of shape. The previous owner may have thrown it down the road and just stuck some new plastic on it and flogged it without getting properly repaired.

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:52 - 23 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your a bit over the top , it's not a china doll.

Royski
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:26 - 24 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

martin734 wrote:
If it looks like it is out of shape I would not be riding it. Have you taken all of the plastic off and checked the frame for damage and cracked welds? I really think you should get the bike checked before riding it again a "minor drop" doesn't usually result in a bike becoming bent out of shape. The previous owner may have thrown it down the road and just stuck some new plastic on it and flogged it without getting properly repaired.

The bike itself is fine. The only thing that's wonky is the gear pedal. I'm not talking completely out of whack here, just enough to cause a bit of lateral movement.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:34 - 24 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put a thicker washer behind it, before the retaining circlip or pin. Mine has ansimilar issue that Im not too bothered to fix, the ball joint rubs on the chain.

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 14:23 - 24 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK , lets see if i can be a bit more positive, try re-bushing the pivot, you will need vernier calipers , some sharp drill bits and a battery drill.
Measure the shaft accurately and select the type of bush you need,

https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/Products-Wrapped-Steel-Plain-Bushes/c4747_4531/index.html

Royski
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:38 - 25 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: Friend of a friend of a friend (you get the idea) was breaking a 250r and I managed to score a near mint gear lever and foot bracket.

Took the opportunity to inspect the bike and there is no damage to any of the other components.

Rode it to work this morning and its like a new bike. Very Happy

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:10 - 25 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Royski wrote:
Update: Friend of a friend of a friend (you get the idea) was breaking a 250r and I managed to score a near mint gear lever and foot bracket.

Took the opportunity to inspect the bike and there is no damage to any of the other components.

Great! What was the difference, if any, between the parts, and what you had already got, in terms of how it was attached/mounted?

Royski
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:19 - 25 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Royski wrote:

Great! What was the difference, if any, between the parts, and what you had already got, in terms of how it was attached/mounted?

They were the same parts model-wise and looked like they would have been identical when new. Think they only switched up certain parts for the 650cc version.

The new one did indeed have a bush in place (which mine was definitely missing), my hole was ever so slightly warped which went some way to explain the extra play, and there was the slightest bend on my old pedal; which was subtle enough for me to initially assume it was designed that way, but my new one is as straight as a very straight thing. I definitely think the original part experience some percussive intervention at some point. Maybe not dropped, but something twotted the pedal.

I knew it was a winner when I was screwing it in place, it just felt like it was a better fit.

Thanks again everyone for the help. Much appreciated.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 26 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1