Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

definetlynotw...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:50 - 20 Mar 2020    Post subject: Lexmoto 125 ? Reply with quote

Hello everyone, hope your having a great day Smile

So, let me introduce myself I guess;
I am a 16 year old - wannabe biker, I drive a little 50cc Chinese moped which I own from around October time. I work for around £400/monthly with no costs such as rent, food etc. saying that I can save up £400 a month.

August time I turn 17, I of course wanna get myself a 125cc to later on get that A1. I decided that I don't need car as I can either get busses or use the bike on the nice weather, as it is cheaper and of course; fun. I have already started to compare the different brands, their prices and insurances.

So far i came to conclusion that the best idea for me would be to get a Lexmoto LXR for £2200 with insurance around £900 (one off payment). I get the bike in the price range which I wanted it to be, good insurance as well, good looking bike with 2020 plate, I get some kind of 2 year warranty? I understand that the 'Made In China' might push people away, but are they really that bad?

The 50cc moped is from China, runs great and even thought I did have the problem as I had a shady seller that I bought it from, it is a great machine as it does 30mph as it should be doing and even more downhill. So are these Chinese bikes overall so bad?

Lexmoto has some shady 50/50 opinions and this is the reason I kind of wanted to do my own research and I am asking you people out there for help, I still have time but I think it's better to gather information now, as it's never too early Smile.

If you don't have experience with Lexmoto or 125cc, please don't comment as I know there are people who have set mind and won't really help me out.

Oh, if you have suggestions to other bikes which I can get for around £2200 and not too big of insurance, drop your suggestion. Thanks Smile

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:29 - 20 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, the perennial 125 conundrum Smile

So, do you have £2000+ to spend right now or is this gonna be on finance from your monthly income? Paying on the never-never may be tempting in the short term but long term you're a) paying a lot and b) have very little to show for it as resale value will be less than 50% of the initial cost after 3 years.

Get an old "Big Name" bike that needs some TLC for a lot less money. Learn some wrenching skills and you might manage to sell it in a few years for more than you paid for it. You have the bus to fall back on so 100% reliability isn't a requirement. (Not that some Chinese bikes are 100% reliable from new anyway!)

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:52 - 20 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sod the Lexmoto, simple as that.

Get yourself a nice Yamaha YBR 125 or Honda CBF 125 and run out your dull period for two years until you can do A2 and then upgrade when you get chance. IIRC the only advantage doing A1 will get you is an early foothold to do A2 vs staying on the C.B.T.

£900 is not cheap, what level of cover is that? I'd spend little money on a bike that looks like it might just make it through two years and go TPO with a decent-ish chain etc.

Don't forget "compulsory excess" is important if TPFT or FC as its money you have to pay in the event of a claim taken away from the difference between that and the price of your policy (Compulsory excess = £800, Policy = £900 then the most you'd get is £100 in the event of a claim: that's made up math but be careful).

If you want a lexmoto get a second hand one. I got an old one a handful of years ago from new and it went back plenty of times in the two year warrenty period. I wouldn't ever recommend the brand. There's a guy on here who has Mash etc and loves chinky bikes but each to thier own.

Most of that 2k you'd loose over time and when it came to P/X probably get only a fraction back. Don't be distracted by the "looks: t-leafs ad probably want that in no time."

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:14 - 20 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
Don't forget "compulsory excess" is important if TPFT or FC as its money you have to pay in the event of a claim taken away from the difference between that and the price of your policy (Compulsory excess = £800, Policy = £900 then the most you'd get is £100 in the event of a claim: that's made up math but be careful).

Hand

The compulsory excess is the amount you're required to pay towards any claim, the price of your policy doesn't come into it.

Compulsory excess = £100
Policy = £900
Value of bike insured = £2200

In that situation you'd get £2,100 if the bike gets stolen and your policy is for third party fire and theft.

There's voluntary excess on top of compulsory excess and I suspect that for a seventeen year old the excess will be £500+

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:20 - 20 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont understand why you want to drop 2k on a chinese bike instead of getting something Japanese or such? you can snag a nice Duke or something at that price.
My advice would be to go and buy a bike for around £1.5k, ride it til your 19, pass your test for a restricted license then sell it for about the same price you paid. Try that with a Lexmoto and you wont even get £800 for it after a few years. Just look at how much they sell for second hand with a few years on them.

Also £900 insurance is pretty steep for a 125. I think my first year at 17 was £400 on a CBR125.

The only real appeal I can see is that you will own a brand new bike, but you really have to think about why you want a brand new bike. If it's for reliability then your buying the wrong brand and if it's for the warranty then you have to wonder why you would need to use warranty on a brand new bike.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:25 - 20 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waste of money - don't do it.

definetlynotw...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:33 - 20 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

So, do you have £2000+ to spend right now or is this gonna be on finance from your monthly income?

That would be what I have available in the time I turn 17, from what I can save up on. I will try not to get a finance as I don't wanna bother my parents and I do wanna own the bike rather than having some company telling me what I can touch and what I can't.

Easy-X wrote:

Get an old "Big Name" bike

What bike you have on mind? I don't want anything too old, but yet I wan't it good looking, and I understand that £2,000 is quite a sum of money.

Thanks for reply Smile

definetlynotw...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:35 - 20 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:

Could you tell me more, what do you suggest then?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:36 - 20 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to be 18 to sign a finance agreement. Wink

definetlynotw...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:38 - 20 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayrton wrote:
I dont understand why you want to drop 2k on a chinese bike instead of getting something Japanese or such? you can snag a nice Duke or something at that price.
My advice would be to go and buy a bike for around £1.5k, ride it til your 19, pass your test for a restricted license then sell it for about the same price you paid. Try that with a Lexmoto and you wont even get £800 for it after a few years. Just look at how much they sell for second hand with a few years on them.

Also £900 insurance is pretty steep for a 125. I think my first year at 17 was £400 on a CBR125.

So, £2,000 is what I can spend, that doesn't mean I will that is just the budget I have to spend. Japanese, well I wan't something good looking, nothing with over 15,000 miles and of course reliable, Duke is not the one, the closest one from me is about £2,300 for a 2016 and I'm not willing to spend loads of money for petrol knowing that it might be not worth buying and then coming back.

£900 is rough estimate, for a yzf-r125 i got £1200 :/, I'm into sporty bikes and thats only for the third party & theft.

definetlynotw...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:42 - 20 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
Sod the Lexmoto, simple as that.

Get yourself a nice Yamaha YBR 125 or Honda CBF 125 and run out your dull period for two years until you can do A2 and then upgrade when you get chance. IIRC the only advantage doing A1 will get you is an early foothold to do A2 vs staying on the C.B.T.

£900 is not cheap, what level of cover is that? I'd spend little money on a bike that looks like it might just make it through two years and go TPO with a decent-ish chain etc.

Most of that 2k you'd loose over time and when it came to P/X probably get only a fraction back. Don't be distracted by the "looks: t-leafs ad probably want that in no time."

£900 is third party & theft, they are 'sporty' bikes or classified as that and therefore they are that expensive, a CBF125 goes for £400 insurance on third party & theft. I'm not looking at resell value and I guess I should start, lexmoto won't sell for too much but at the same time it's only £2200 for a brand new one.

The bike has only got to ride for two years, with CBF125 i'm not into the look of it, but I guess your right, get a naked bike and then get a real motorbike after A2, but it just seems too far away, 2 years is big time :/

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:47 - 20 Mar 2020    Post subject: Re: Lexmoto 125 ? Reply with quote

wasiuleq wrote:
Lexmoto has some shady 50/50 opinions and this is the reason I kind of wanted to do my own research and I am asking you people out there for help, I still have time but I think it's better to gather information now, as it's never too early Smile

Yes, it's never too early.

What do you actually want your 125 to do, apart from to be a stepping-stone to a bigger bike? To look "cool", just to be A to B transport, to increase your sex appeal, to be more independent, to go as fast as you can on a 125, to "commute", to pimp up or tune? What sort of mileage are you looking at doing, and is ultrareliability a necessary thing?

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:56 - 20 Mar 2020    Post subject: Re: Lexmoto 125 ? Reply with quote

wasiuleq wrote:
Hello everyone, hope your having a great day Smile

I was right until that point. (Grammar OCD)

My daughter has a Lexmoto. It's OK. I had an AJS 125. That too was OK.

No major issues, they've been pretty reliable.

But I'm fairly handy at spannering so I keep on top of the bits that are rusting / falling off / in need of a little attention. If you're more of a 'let the garage sort it out' person, I think I'd recommend the used CBF / YBR route.

Edit: I should point out that neither was bought new - both were 1 year old with stupidly low mileage and less than half the price of a new one.

Last edited by Evil Hans on 18:06 - 20 Mar 2020; edited 2 times in total

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:02 - 20 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wasiuleq wrote:
get a real motorbike after A2, but it just seems too far away, 2 years is big time :/

I remember thinking the same thing when I was 16, but in reality 2 years will go extremely quick and at the end of it you will be glad you have a bike with some resale value that you can put towards your next bike.

if your looking at sporty bikes then the Honda CBR125 is a good choice. They dont make them anymore, but I doubt if you will have any problems with a well looked after one. Honestly it can be just as practical as a naked bike and you actually get some decent wind protection.

That insurance does seem quite high, try some different comparison sites and play around with some of the options.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:04 - 20 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my lads had the Lexmoto Arrow which was basically a modern looking CG125
Modest performance even for a 125 but it was cheap and reliable.
I'd suggest a decent used YBR125 as an option, most people seem to rate them
or a cheap chinese CG clone shitter to hack about on
Sod the looks, you need cheap to insure, cheap to run reliable tranport
and big fookin chain
Chrome dont get you home and all that

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:18 - 20 Mar 2020    Post subject: Re: Lexmoto 125 ? Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:
But I'm fairly handy at spannering so I keep on top of the bits that are rusting / falling off / in need of a little attention. If you're more of a 'let the garage sort it out' I think I'd recommend the used CBF / YBR route.

I think I gree with that. Keep on top of the maintenance, and they'll be OK.

The only thing is: is a sports bike the right thing? No idea what the Lexmoto LXR's lock's like (turning circle), on Rieju RS3s it's annoyingly poor compated to a YBR/YS125; comfort is a factor if doing more than a few miles and sports bikes ain't comfy; spare parts cost more, including plastics, as does insurance. It's up to the OP of course. P'raps he's set his heart on a sports bike. Perhaps not. Anyway, he's got time to think, and look, in the flesh, at what there is about.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:18 - 20 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wasiuleq wrote:
Bhud wrote:

Could you tell me more, what do you suggest then?

It fails a cost-benefit analysis comparison.

1) Buy new Chinese bike and insurance policy now, and you get 2 years out of it tops before you're bored and want to move up. That's normal, but you're down £2K. At least you got some use out of it, so it's not too bad.

2) Buy old moped, rag it around the college and try not to get in trouble with the law or hurt. About £800 in, get some fun while waiting to move up to a bigger bike. 2 ywars are over quickly. You had some fun. You'd invested £1200 in FTSE 100 during the corona dip and now you actually have more money than before.

3) You exercise patience for 2 years, buy nothing and invest in yourself. You spend £2K on courses in cyber security and kickstart your career. At 24 you buy an S1000R, and you have greatly increased your lifetime net income. You will also support the bike industry by regularly buying new bikes.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:41 - 20 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aside from the usual 'don't but a chinese bike' because, well, that's all anybody has ever told me..

The LXR is by all accounts a very good 125, get very good reviews, and, should you get on well with it, there's even a 380cc version of it for when you get your A2.

I don't have any experience of the LXR itself, but, I have owned, a number of chinese bikes over the years. I have not had any issues with any of them, that I wouldn't have with any bike, from any manufacturer. Simply, look after it, service it properly, maintain the chain, and, if you do use it over winter, make sure you use acf-50, or equivalent.

By carrying out the above, all my chinese bikes have been 100% reliable, and, have not suffered unduly with corrosion, certainly no worse than any of the other bikes I've had, despite our trigger happy gritters in our area.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 19:55 - 20 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last thing you need worry about if you want a motorbike, is what motorbike.

Think licence.

At almost 17, with a chinky 50, one has to presume you have done your first CBT, and when you come old enough to get a 125 you will have but a few months left of validity to run in it.

You mention A1. Cost of an A1 licence is about £130, all in for each of the tests, self booked,assuming you pass them. It's about as cheap as one repeat CBT to re-validate your 'learners' Permit. And never has to be re-done; you get to chuck the 'L' plates away and not have to worry about the potential pull potential they offer or the fines and points should one not be mandatory size, properly affixed the machine,cracked or broken, etc. You get to use motorways if you want, you get to carry pillions if you want, and you get the clock started counting UP on your 2 year New-Driver-Act probation where you can get your licence revoked for half points, rather than counting downon CBT cert. It's not a lot.... but its better than a kickin the cholloocks, and it IS a stepping stonme to A2 at 19y/o etc. In short it's worth the doing.

Onto bikes..... First up, forget the precedent of your Chinky 50. You don't say whether a scooter or proper motorbike, but either way, the regs around mopeds are such that they cant and arent allowed to make enough power to do themselves much damage. 125's are a very different deal.

On which note, its worth saying that what make or model makes very little odds as far as reliability goes; the owner, which on a new bike means you, and on a 2nd hand one the string of probably incompetent miser milers wanting cheap wheels and cheap thrills before you, thrashing, trashing and crashing the thing to oblivion with varying attitudes of either killing it with kindness, over tightening chains and stripping sump plugs, neglecting it to death, doing nothing to it until it stops working then moaning that they cant get at the tappets and optimistically asking in the work-shop on here whether a new coil will get it going again, mixed in with the odd idea that slapping a Monster Energy sticker on the belly pan has to be worth an extra 20mph... CONDITION IS ALL, and maintenance is something all bikes NEED!

Buying brand new, alleviates a lot of previous owner possibility.... but it don't eliminate YOURS... unless you do the proper maintenance, thing is still going to deteriorate, and there's still risk it'll be nicked or you will crash it... which is pretty high to-be-honest.

Oh-Kay... you want us to say go for it, get a Lexmoto! You have already convinced yourself, you likely don't want good advice, just affirmation of your ideas....

Oh-Kay... go for it, get a Lexmoto!

You have been warned about buying brand new, so I will reiterate that warning. You pay a premium yo have brand new never been used.Not just to buy the bike, but also on the insurance you have alluded to.

There, again, you cant get the monthly plan, you should pay upfront in one lump, 'cos its not a monthly insurance its a credit plan to pay for a years insurance, and you aren't old enough to get a credit deal.

Check the small print. As has been mentioned compulsory and voluntary XS's can make a mockery of the policy, and has to be asked.. policy premiums you suggest.. is that checking the "+ Commuting" option on the proposal? Riding the thing to school, or a part time job, is 'commuting'; not checking the box suggesting you wont could leave you uninsured, not just if bike gets nicked from the college car-park, but of some daft bint does an e-stop in a Saxo in-front of you, and makes you taste tarmac and then tries claiming you scratched her bumper.... you have been warned.. CHECK THE SMALL PRINT and all the right boxes.

BTT.... insurance premiums are usually pegged against bike value, and the more valuable the bike, and the newer the bike, the more the policy is likely to be....

Oh-Kay... as 17 year-old the table is stacked against you, and every-one will be out for their cut of your money. It's a very big question whether it's worth trying to get ANY sort of motorised personal transport right now.. if you must persist... cheap is good.... BUT weigh up just how much of this whole project is just massaging your ego and feeling like a big boy, and how much you are likely to pay for that bit of vanity.

So, moving on... of what is out there.... well, A Yamaha R125 or similar is a lot of extra money to buy, to insure and look after, mostly just for that vanity.

Brand new. yup, 'should' be a lot lower maintenance motorcycle, and have a frightfuylly small bit of extra oomph and looks for your money... but as said, the reliability is only as good as the owners maintenance.... get an old Lexmoto, haul it out of maintenance over draft, and stay on top of the oil changes and stuff... A-N-D you should have a bike that is practically as fast, practically as reliable, and looks wise... don't make you look like a poser who really wants an R1.... but isn't old enough and vcant pass a test.. nowt looks good with L-Plates....

Which begs the suggestion... of what's on offer, a brand new Lexmotpo has some merit... but a second hand one, which probably costs half as much to buy and is cheaper to insure has more...

B~U~T all hinges on the maintenance...

A Lexmoto, won have the sparkle of a new Jap, and 2nd hand you have to factor in that maintenance overdraft and hauling it out of it... But, maybe no bad thing. Get the Haynes and a set of spanners when you get the bike, and plan a week, gettig to know it, going down the list of routine maintenance in the book; doing the tappets, changing the oil, tensioning the chain. Its all good practice for the stuff you should be doing regularly, like every week or two anyway.. and gets good wheels under your bum, right at the beginning, and somesavings in your pocket.

So that, a 2nd hand Lexmoto, is my reccomend. Its hobsons choice anyway, and that is one of the least cost, least risk ways about..

B~U~T... you want bike, get a licence. PLAN NOW doing your A1 on whatever you get... ity' some chance you wont stack it, and may look after it, and it 's a leg up towards A2, or at the bery least NOT havibng to worry about your CBT running out and 'having' to shell out more to repeat.

SO... for now; dont worry about the bike.
Get a Theory/Hazard practice disk, and play till you are consistently scoring pass marks. And I believe you can even take the test at16, before you are A1 eligible if you really want to get ahead. So start there, and before buying 125, book an do your Theoryu/Haz.
Then go with your Lexmoto notion.... or any other 'cheap' 125, and the 2nd hand option really does beg a look..
Get spanners and he book, haul whatever 125 you get out of maintenance overdraft and learn the sort of stuff you should be doing regularly anyway.
THEN book Mod 1, to do on your 125... its cheap, even if you faul, and remember you only got a year to get a licence, test appointments go quicker in the summer, and its STILL as cheap as a repeat CBT
Get licence in your pocket.
Rip up L-Plates....
GRIN and look SMUG 'cos you got a full licence and NDA probation is ticking down whilst you on something a tad less likely to get you points for it to be evoked.... and you can, if you find some-one daft enough, double win if they are of he soft and squidgy with breasts verity, carry them on the back...
THEN in a years time.. when you doing have to rush around trying to book a repeat CBT... smug grim some more....
THEN in two years time,when 19, and !3 eligible, with a full licence in your pocket, ponder trading in your 125 for probably a cheaper 300 or 500 bike, and repeating tests you done once on 125 on an A2 bike for least training costs, paid for with the 'savings' not splurging 'so' much on vanity on 125 at the outset....

THAT is my recommend anyway.. but think license first, THEN bike, and at 17 its Hobsons, so not whats the best choice, but the least worse.. and in that a 2nd hand Lexmoto stands fair comparison, BUT all down to YOU getting some spanner savvy and some road sense, and preferably a full licence with it, and not being too much of a tit.

Back to you....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

martin734
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:57 - 20 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice from personal experience is to forget spending £2000 on a 125cc learner bike. Buy something that is in decent condition with a full MOT and that is easy and cheap to maintain. The 125 sports bikes look cool, but this also makes them one of the most stolen bikes around. They also tend to be fairly fragile if not maintained thoroughly and can look very tatty very quickly if neglected. The plastic fairings and other bits can also be very expensive to replace after you have thrown it down the road (which you will do, everybody does). I personally would go for something like a YBR125 or a CB125f. Neither of these are particularly exciting to ride but they are well proven, reliable bikes that are easy to ride, easy to maintain and hold their value well. There is a reason that so many bike schools use them.

definetlynotw...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:31 - 20 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess ur right, let's forget about the sporty look and expensive buying for the 'looks' guess i'll go with a naked honda or yamaha. They are way cheaper to insure and just cheaper to buy all together, I guess that after I get that A2 or A i can get a good sporty bike without overpaying. Thank you everyone for replies Smile

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:17 - 20 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't bother getting a new 125. You'll likely drop it or otherwise make a mistake, and it's better to do that on a rat bike than something shiny. You're going to be upgrading later on anyway, and you'll only get back 1/4 of what you pay if you go for a 20 plate. Save the money for decent gear and get your no claims up before spending coin on a nice bike.

misscrabstick
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:15 - 21 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a used Japanese 125, that Lexmoto for 2200 will be worth 900 after a month.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:31 - 21 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

£2K will buy you a very nice used YBR (Or it's eurobollocks replacement, the YS125).

Take it from someone handy with spanners and that's owned a few Korean bikes (better than a Lexmoto) - If you have the money, get a better bike.I enjoy working on mine, and I don't rely on just one bike for transport. You probably will.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 19:38 - 21 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wasiuleq wrote:
I guess that after I get that A2 or A i can get a good sporty bike without overpaying.

Hang on to that idea, for inspiration.
Insurance is usually the single biggest expense after the bike. As you get older that price comes down, just for being older. Meanwhile, if you have accrued NCB on your ped, it comes down even more; I think its something like 30% for the first year, 25%for the following two, then 15% or so for the couple after, by which time the policy price should be half what you'd have to pay with no riding history.
Double whammy.
Most 125's are ridden by L-Platers, and hey spike the stats getting nicked and crashed out of proportion to thier number. Comsequently anything that can have an L-Plate hung on on it tends to attract a rather hefty 'loading' on the insurance premium.
As an idea The like for like policy on our Honda CB125's are about 50% more a year than they are on my CB750, and even more on err nibs Goto-Muzzi 750. As an old duffer that's still only about £50 for me, but to a teen-ager facing four digit policy prices, its likely the cost of a bloomin bike!
The A2 world is something of a pig-sty; there's few native A2 bikes out there, and what there is tends to be rather over-priced. While restricting a bike to A2 is a bloomin nightmare. Restricting a bike, is a declareable 'mod' as far as insurance goes, for starters and they tend to lamp the premium for it! Plus the rules are rather vague and convoluted, as to what you might restricta nd how, and what you need to prove it has been.
B-U-T u=you have a couple of chances.
Just 'cos you have passed tests and got an A2 licence dont mean you HAVE to get an A2 bike to ride on it... you may for simplicity continue to toddle about on the 125 if you want... and I have to say, having mentioned the CB125's in the fleet along side the 750's, there's plenty of good reason to...
I'll elaborate.
My 125's are genuine 70mph motorcycles, they are technically as fast as ANY motorcycle is legally allowed to go in this country, and they can just as easily break the many lower speed limits not on a duel-carriageway.
Despite the insurance loading, the 125's ARE notably cheaper to run. I 'could' if I was a little more conscientious get more than the 70mpg or so I see from one, but then I could aloso walk to the corner shop.... keeping miles down keeps he fuel consumption down! And practically, I get about the same from the 125's as I do the 750, mainly cos with limited power I am more inclined to rag the crap out of the thing to get anywhere.Main difference is in maintenance, significantly tyres. A 'cheap' pair of tyres of the 750's costs about £200. For the 125, a 'good' pair of tyres about £100. And haven't worn a pair out yet! They should last around 10ooo miles, compared to the 75-0 which will scrub out a pair or hoops in maybe 3ooo miles. So the 125 costs about half as much for twice the miles, and much other maintenance follows the same sort of precedent. And more miles I did, the more I'd save, which if it was sole and only motorised transport could be significant.
Major difference with the 750's is that they are physically larger and more comfy, and that comes into its own on longer 'touring' type runs, where the 125's can be a bit frustrating, though they are certainly a lot less faff around town.
If the bigger bike was significantly more expensive to run, it would be a lot of money to pay for a little comfort and a lot pf vanity... think hard!
If you do go A2, then you are eligible to do over for a Ride-What-You-Like 'A' after 2 years, so at 21, rather than 25, and of you have sat out youryears on a 125, is that any great hardship[ to be saving money and accruing NCB? More think hard.... ego wil probably make you want an A2 bike, but.. is it really worth the hassle and cost?

What I WOULD say here, is that a full CAR licence, even if you cant afford and cant have a car, is a qualification worth having on your CV for jobs.

When I was 17, there was a 2 year validity on the 'provisional' entitlement of the licence, and a mandatory 1 year 'ban' if you didn't pass tests in that time, rather than it all being on a CBT you can effectively do 'back-to-back'. I passed my car test inside a couple of months of my 17th birthday... it made parents stop moaning, thinking I'd give up on this 'daft' idea of bikes but also meant that my provisional bike entitlement was secured until I am 70... which is still a couple of decades away! However, it was something I could slap on my CV, and through uni, use to get jobs on building sites where I had to drive the company transit van around, even though I didn't have a car..and for the cheaps, the moped having been written off... be warned.... ran a 125 about, 'cos cheap.. and for a goodly time, not on L-Plates, cos still cheap and still as fast as anything legally allowed to go.

Which begs the suggestion, plan that licence.. b~u~t you may want to prioritise a CAR licence as soon as possible after your 17th. Even if you don't have a car or an insurance policy for one, its accruing 'Driver History', and who knows who may put you on thier policy ro borrow family or worx car when needed.

In the intervening.. who knows what will happen! Good odds that as soon as you turn 17 and your mates all start doing car tests and borrowing mummy's ashtray, appeal of a motorbike wont be as strong.... IME 'girls' are certainly a big influence, and many wouldn't get on the back of a bike, and start moaning "Cant you borrow a car?" Paretal pressure tends to be there too...and it is only a couple of years until you can do RWYL'A' via DAS at 25.... bikes may become something of a non-subject.... but either way.. there's no rush... cover your bases, an keep your options open.

Dont fret what bike, worry bout the licence, and on that getting CAR entitlement couyld be as worthwhile as anything.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 8 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2