Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What are your favourite items to stockpile, and why?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:38 - 24 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear! I don’t think I’m quite getting the hang of this stockpiling?

I bought an extra Pot Noodle a two jars of fish paste.
Other than that it’s been normal shopping for me Smile

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:46 - 24 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Hmmm. I think this statement needs a lot of qualifying. Pasta certainly isn't my go-to choice as a protein source.

It's 5% protein, made with egg yolk. A 200g serving is 22% of your RDA of protein.

You also get pea pasta (green stuff) which is 10% protein but a mix of pulse and egg protein.

I'm no expert, but the impression I get is that pasta, or at least the stuff most people buy, is stuffed with starchy carbs, which ought to be kept to a minimum in a healthy diet, and refined carbs generally.
I go straight to eggs for protein, or meats, fish. Whole grains are good, so perhaps wholemeal pasta. But I prefer wholegrain rice. Pasta is just an accompaniment of convenience for me.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:57 - 24 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

What it's useful for is building a meal around and for keeping almost indefinately in a dry store cupboard. Having that blast of first class protein in there means you can add beans/whatever to make up the rest.

Clanger
Stirrer

PostPosted: 16:40 - 24 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
two jars of fish paste

Asda? I couldn't find any t'other day (last Thursday) at the smaller of the two stores in town.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:52 - 24 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested to know if anyone has come up with any great food combinations that maybe they wouldn't have tried if it weren't for shortages on the shelves of their normal purchases? You know, like, has anyone discovered that cheese is really nice with a good cheap chocolate spread, served with a ten year old tin of beans and sausages, or that the last wilting broccoli is perked up wonderfully by sprinkling stale rich tea biscuits on top and a blob of creme fraiche that has been lurking in the back of the fridge since 2013?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:55 - 24 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reduced aisle - Dorito hot n spicy dipping sauce added to baked beans is pleasurable.

2 heaped tablespoons into a generic 24p pack of instant noodles is also good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:13 - 24 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I'd be interested to know if anyone has come up with any great food combinations

You've been in the Military you know the answer is hot sauce with everything. Burn those taste buds in to submission Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:28 - 24 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:
I'd be interested to know if anyone has come up with any great food combinations

You've been in the Military you know the answer is hot sauce with everything. Burn those taste buds in to submission Laughing

Well, someone discovered that chilli and chocolate works.

hedgehugger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:32 - 24 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I'd be interested to know if anyone has come up with any great food combinations that maybe they wouldn't have tried if it weren't for shortages on the shelves of their normal purchases? You know, like, has anyone discovered that cheese is really nice with a good cheap chocolate spread, served with a ten year old tin of beans and sausages, or that the last wilting broccoli is perked up wonderfully by sprinkling stale rich tea biscuits on top and a blob of creme fraiche that has been lurking in the back of the fridge since 2013?

Philadelphia cheese (or any similar cream cheese) is really nice on bread, topped off with jam.
Chicken and Marmite sandwiches are good eating too Smile

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:34 - 24 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

hedgehugger wrote:

Oh, come on now! Everyone knows that you have Marmite with prawns Rolling Eyes

hedgehugger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:34 - 24 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the stockpiling thing... I've still got a kilo or 2 of raspberries from last year in the freezer. I see my plants are getting very leafy again Smile

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:35 - 24 Mar 2020    Post subject: Re: What are your favourite items to stockpile, and why? Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
...perhaps not necessarily the usual brands...

This reminds me, during my last shop I couldn't get my usual Heinz beans so I grudgingly went for the only beans available.
Asda's own brand beans and sausages.
I honestly didn't think they'd be much cop but it turns out they are truly a worthy substitute. 👍👍👍

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:43 - 24 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chicken, Twiglets, and Branston hot.

Thumbs Up

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:46 - 24 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clanger wrote:
pepperami wrote:
two jars of fish paste

Asda? I couldn't find any t'other day (last Thursday) at the smaller of the two stores in town.

Oi! Are you looking at my fish paste Shocked ..... gerrroff.

If you were local, I’d leave a jar on your doorstep...... bugger! We’re not allowed out Sad

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:00 - 24 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I discovered a couple of unexpectedly delicious combos, from having to choose unusual food items from the little choice on the shelves recently.

However, a tour of the beer aisle tends to be more interesting. You can clearly see what sells and what doean't sell. You would think someone must be buying hipsterish IPAs, but not at the supermarket, because the big name lagers are always all gone, leaving the other stuff. I'm guessing that consumption preferences don't really change, which must mean that supermarkets present a range of these alternative, less popular items for reasons other than to sell them. In other words, shelf space for product 1 to help sell product 2. I don't know. However, even stockpilers don't seem to want what experts are telling them is good. Sort of like the restaurant trap. In any case niche breweries won't come out of this in great shape.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:02 - 24 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
Yes I discovered a couple of unexpectedly delicious combos, from having to choose unusual food items from the little choice on the shelves recently.

However, a tour of the beer aisle tends to be more interesting. You can clearly see what sells and what doean't sell. You would think someone must be buying hipsterish IPAs, but not at the supermarket, because the big name lagers are always all gone, leaving the other stuff. I'm guessing that consumption preferences don't really change, which must mean that supermarkets present a range of these alternative, less popular items for reasons other than to sell them. In other words, shelf space for product 1 to help sell product 2. I don't know. However, even stockpilers don't seem to want what experts are telling them is good. Sort of like the restaurant trap. In any case niche breweries won't come out of this in great shape.

^^He'll get to the point in a minute...

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:11 - 24 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I'd be interested to know if anyone has come up with any great food combinations that maybe they wouldn't have tried if it weren't for shortages on the shelves of their normal purchases?

Although we are quite well stocked with "proper" food, Sid went rogue the other night and served up Heinz Mushroom soup with a generic noodle block (cooked obvs) in each bowl.

Bloody delicious but messy Laughing Recommended Very Happy

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:08 - 24 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coconut oil (some for cooking, some to put on my scar)
Cat biscuits/meat in jelly
Proper soap that lathers nicely.
Ibuprofen

Pretty much everything else, I can improvise.

Just got back from Asda, and got all of the above, and just some odd bits and bobs, whatever was left.

It would have been nice to get hold of some fresh eggs (1 carton, very broken) ... and some pasta, but the only thing remotely like that was vermicelli in the World Food aisles.

I can wait.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:37 - 24 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yeah, and hair dye Shocked
https://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server300/2cec5/products/10726/images/38241/Hoyu_Bigen_Dark_Brown_Permanent_Powder_Hair_Color_57_6_Gm__62804.1391521271.220.220.jpg?c=2

Crucial!
Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:02 - 24 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
hedgehugger wrote:

Oh, come on now! Everyone knows that you have Marmite with prawns Rolling Eyes

Last time I went to the supermarket I snagged a jar of Marmite Peanut Butter. Surprisingly good but quite expensive.

WreckTangle
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:19 - 24 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supermarkets have obviously got a shortage of pasta and toilet roll, but here is the stuff that is not being panick brought, but you are gonna need alot of over many weeks: Mr. Green

(yes, this is my own kitchen cupboard, go figure)

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:35 - 24 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Last time I went to the supermarket I snagged a jar of Marmite Peanut Butter. Surprisingly good but quite expensive.

I'm afraid I'm going to need a far more detailed review than this if I'm going to take the plunge. Strength of marmite to peanut taste ratio for example and was it smooth or not?
I love marmite and I love peanut butter but can they work together?
Aaaaaah, I can't decide.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:03 - 24 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got 25-30 cans of baked beans in the pantry. It's not because of the Covid-19, it was 50% off about 2 months ago and it's also my favourite ''I don't want to cook anything'' kind of meal. Thumbs Up

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:09 - 24 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

WreckTangle wrote:
Supermarkets have obviously got a shortage of pasta and toilet roll, but here is the stuff that is not being panick brought, but you are gonna need alot of over many weeks: Mr. Green

(yes, this is my own kitchen cupboard, go figure)

Jeez, all that chocolate...no wonder you have trouble doing press-ups Laughing

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:23 - 25 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
[
I love marmite and I love peanut butter but can they work together?
Aaaaaah, I can't decide.

Yes stumbled acros this combo in the past month or so by accident. Not tried the ready-mix - probably works out quite dear for the minimal Marnite required.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 22 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3