Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Just_James
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 22:20 - 27 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Just_James wrote:

Also, one of the genuine reasons for leaving the house is ANY medical reason. Surely that would include maintaining mental health (where applicable / available) by getting out for an isolated ride / drive / extra walk to prevent partner slaughtering etc....

They've said no to this. It's a risk for using NHS resources. It's not you, it's the fact that if everyone thinks as you do a percentage of those people WILL have accidents. So the only course of action has to be to not ride.

I live in quite a rural location and must admit, the few bikes and cars passing tonight were definitely being ridden/ driven in a very... spirited manner! Laughing

Obviously people blowing off steam... which I guess quite high risk to end in an accident.... I couldn't say if they would be any less likely to add strain on NHS one way or another if they hadn't done it though Confused
Previous bikes - 1986 DT125R (field bike), 1989 KX250, 1980 KX420 (with 500cc big bore), 1992 YZ250, 1988 KX500, 1989 XR250R, 1988 VFR400R NC24, 1999 Cagiva Mito 125, 2008 Rieju RS2 50 , 1993 Honda NSR 125

EazyDuz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:57 - 27 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just go for a ride, but dont go full potato and hit the limiter in the middle of a city centre. Think country roads at normal speeds. You're not going to turn a corner in Bumfukshire and see a policeman waiting in a car.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 23:05 - 27 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

EazyDuz wrote:
Just go for a ride, but dont go full potato and hit the limiter in the middle of a city centre. Think country roads at normal speeds. You're not going to turn a corner in Bumfukshire and see a policeman waiting in a car.

I think this is the kind of selfish attitude that is not going to get us through this. Sure the chance of accident is low, but it's still greater than sitting on the sofa playing Ride 3. As I said, all it takes is enough people to have the same attitude and reach a critical point where at least 1 has an accident. There is going to be a percentage of all rides that result in an accident. So by say a million people flouting the law and only 0.1% have accidents, you're still looking at 1000 accidents that take away from Covid 19 treatment, or risk catching Covid from hospital, or risk even not having any assistance due to the saturation of NHS care.

Safer to say home. This is not about the individual, it's about the whole.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:49 - 28 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's where I am with it as much as it annoys me. Might nip out tomorrow and do a loop on the codicote road in the car under the pretence of collecting meds ..... but the bike is staying in the garage until the general lockdown is lifted.

seeyalater
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:35 - 28 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Around Doncaster, the police are stopping cars. I've not heard of bikes but I have only seen the odd bike about.

I do agree about not taking risks. So rides out to test your max corner speeds or like said above hammering around town etc, but let's not forget bikes are a form of transport. So if you need to go get meds, or get them for someone else there is nothing to stop you going on your bike INSTEAD of the car. any travel has risks. a ride for nothing is a pointless risk.
If anyone wants to use their bike instead of the car be more aware than ever. Make sure you get every lifesaver check in, wear all your gear even for local runs.
As said above some car drivers will think roads are clear and drive like they're on the Le mans 24hr. Although I have only seen normal driving around my way when going for shopping.

We are in this together. In 2 weeks this may relax and we can have a full day out and be smiling from ear to ear.

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:49 - 28 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never seen so many people out for a jog as I have this week.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:00 - 28 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely when a jogger runs past you huffing and puffing then lets fly with a gozball.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:03 - 28 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

seeyalater wrote:

We are in this together. In 2 weeks this may relax and we can have a full day out and be smiling from ear to ear.

Sadly I don’t think so.
I dearly hope I’m wrong, but I think things will be worse Crying or Very sad .

I hope to go away on the bike in September, but I’m not convinced it will happen due to this covid nonsense.
I’ll bet that once the restrictions are lifted, people will go bonkers!
I think the chaos that will follow this nonsense will be nearly as scary as this shite is now.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:09 - 28 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
Lovely when a jogger runs past you huffing and puffing then lets fly with a gozball.

Any other time you’d smack them in the mouth for that.
Nowadays you just move away quickly.

seeyalater
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:22 - 28 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sadly I don’t think so.
I dearly hope I’m wrong, but I think things will be worse Crying or Very sad .

I hope to go away on the bike in September, but I’m not convinced it will happen due to this covid nonsense.
I’ll bet that once the restrictions are lifted, people will go bonkers!
I think the chaos that will follow this nonsense will be nearly as scary as this shite is now.

It is optimistic I know. If and only if people stop going to parks and kids stop hanging about in groups will lockdown be lifted, and obviously cases and deaths reduce. Which I doubt will happen within 2 weeks. But, I do expect a lift with the lockdown. Shops, retaurants and most public places still shut, but a little more freedom to travel about. Its more wishful thinking really. Its possible they said 3 weeks so we will comply instead of telling us 3 months and we riot.

seeyalater
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:23 - 28 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Artist wrote:
I have never seen so many people out for a jog as I have this week.

I work in the fitness industry as part of my job, so a lot of my social media is fitness people. And I can honestly say I'm sick of seeing home work out videos. So much so I'm avoiding Instagram.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:32 - 28 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are talking 14 days for the dormancy of the virus, and 14 days for symptoms to abate... So realistically we need lockdown for around 5 weeks to try to stop the spread a bit. This is all guesswork too, it's possible the virus lies dormant for longer than that... so I think we're looking at at least 6 weeks of lockdown, sadly.

With my 40th Birthday right in it too. Sad

seeyalater
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:39 - 28 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
They are talking 14 days for the dormancy of the virus, and 14 days for symptoms to abate... So realistically we need lockdown for around 5 weeks to try to stop the spread a bit. This is all guesswork too, it's possible the virus lies dormant for longer than that... so I think we're looking at at least 6 weeks of lockdown, sadly.

With my 40th Birthday right in it too. Sad

Possibly true. What still gets me is why Italy still had a really bad spread of spike after a total lockdown. I do see the point in us all staying away from each other, but they keep saying we are the same as Italy. Germany is a lot like us yet is a lot better off than Italy.

Italy has suffered due to something else spreading this, water or something everyone uses.
40th garden party for just your household then? if that's just you then I feel for you. Group skype lol

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:14 - 28 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

seeyalater wrote:

Italy has suffered due to something else spreading this, water or something everyone uses.
40th garden party for just your household then? if that's just you then I feel for you. Group skype lol

Me and the other half. No nice dinner out. No party. Sad We've just moved house and have a house perfect for entertaining, and we can't flipping well do it!

I think the spike in Italy came from everyone scrambling to move between provinces before the lockdown took effect. Because of the ski resorts and affluence in the north, lots of people seasonally move to work up there, and those people (as I understand it) scrambled to move south to be with their families... The lockdown wasn't implemented instantly in Italy.

seeyalater
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:19 - 28 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Me and the other half. No nice dinner out. No party. Sad We've just moved house and have a house perfect for entertaining, and we can't flipping well do it!

I think the spike in Italy came from everyone scrambling to move between provinces before the lockdown took effect. Because of the ski resorts and affluence in the north, lots of people seasonally move to work up there, and those people (as I understand it) scrambled to move south to be with their families... The lockdown wasn't implemented instantly in Italy.

Yeah, they are very different to us. But we still need to be careful.

On the upside, when you can have a party it will be epic.! How soon is your birthday?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:25 - 28 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

seeyalater wrote:

On the upside, when you can have a party it will be epic.! How soon is your birthday?

Next week. Sad

seeyalater
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:31 - 28 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Next week. Sad

ah, that's shite. mine is in May so doubt there will be a meal out. If we run out of booze were fucked.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:47 - 28 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

- wrote:
to see people all over Facebook, going for a ride, driving out to the coast or the allotment, it kind of grates.

That's the problem. Even if a journey is justifiable sticking photos of it all over the net is a cunt move that will make others find reasons to justify a journey.

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:18 - 28 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

- wrote:
driving out to the coast or the allotment, .

My parents have 3 allotments, they grow 90% of their own food. Would you suggest they stand in line at Tesco or go to the allotment to maintain their main food source?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

spikenipple
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:00 - 28 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
seeyalater wrote:

Next week. Sad

You're in luck; the government have now extended all birthdays by 6 months.

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:32 - 28 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

- wrote:

There will be very little to harvest on an allotment this time of year, I have one in my garden.

Then you should know that now is time to be planting and sewing, today they pulled the first potatoes grown in the tubs in the polytunnel. And cut the first of the asparagus.

It's not all about the harvesting. 3 large allotments for 2 people aged 65 plus is a lot of work.

As a guess I would say you have a basic veg patch, not an allotment that you rely on for your food.

- wrote:
If all 75,000,000 of us "go to the allotment", nobody will be staying indoors.

True, but if 75mil of us had allotments there wouldnt be the need to strip tesco bare or stand in line to wait for a carrot being infected by others.
Your average allotment has plenty of space to be 2m away from someone.

- wrote:

If all 75,000,000 of us "go to the allotment", nobody will be staying indoors. If you're talking about restricting time outdoors, a visit to Tesco once a fortnight is more sensible than hours down the allotments every day.

The Asda close to them has hundreds of people in it at any one point, add into queuing for an hour to get in.

So the potential once a fortnight to bump into several hundred people, handle goods touched by 10's of people.

or go to the allotment 3 times a week and bump into 2 people.

I know which risk I would take if I had the choice.

Last edited by Fisty on 17:01 - 28 Mar 2020; edited 1 time in total

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:03 - 28 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

- wrote:

This is precisely the problem. A section of society are making excuse after excuse to not stay at home. They won't die if they leave the allotment for a year. If everyone did what they were doing, people will die.

So given the choice, you would be willing to be infected by hundreds over half a dozen?

They have a significantly higher chance of being infected while shopping in a super market than being on alotment on their own....

So according to your theory this is fine

https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/2160757/stream_img.jpg

But this is a massive risk and we are all gonna die

https://envato-shoebox-0.imgix.net/242c/fec7-2de1-45fa-93f1-d4427c2e3969/MON1106084.jpg?auto=compress%2Cformat&fit=max&mark=https%3A%2F%2Felements-assets.envato.com%2Fstatic%2Fwatermark2.png&markalign=center%2Cmiddle&markalpha=18&w=1000&s=c54ac78b6238dbc62bf6145cdbde49d5
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 28 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5