Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Coronavirus MOT 6 Month Extension

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:14 - 25 Mar 2020    Post subject: Coronavirus MOT 6 Month Extension Reply with quote

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-mots-for-cars-vans-and-motorcycles-due-from-30-march-2020

Quote:
COVID-19 is a new illness that can affect your lungs and airways. It’s caused by a virus called coronavirus.

From 30 March 2020, MOT due dates for cars, motorcycles and light vans will be extended by 6 months. This is being done to help prevent the spread of coronavirus.

There’s separate guidance about what to do if your MOT due date is up to and including 29 March 2020.

Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:25 - 25 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for finding that and bringing it to our attention Thumbs Up

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:42 - 25 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Handy timing as my Golf was due just after Easter, and my usual shop made the decision to close yesterday Smile
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:05 - 25 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

My daughters car due on 30th March so that's a worry out of the way. She was having trouble getting a test.

Wifies due on 15th April, another one skiiving off the test. Rolling Eyes Laughing

I told her she shouldn't drive it anyway, she said 'That's OK, I'll use the Jag'

On second thoughts dear, I'm sure you will be fine in your car. Laughing Thumbs Up

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:43 - 25 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fab, this solves a few issues for me quite nicely.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:59 - 25 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to keep them road worthy yet halfords are getting shit despite
Being a motor factor and a cycle shop for staying open.

I need some gun gum for a joint on the car exhaust. The filth will argue it's not road worthy blowing but where do I get it?

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:01 - 25 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame it won't apply to insurance premiums too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:24 - 25 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
I need some gun gum for a joint on the car exhaust. The filth will argue it's not road worthy blowing but where do I get it?

Halfords, like most places, are still doing home delivery?

I appreciate you pay more for the same product through no fault of your own but most places have switched their focus to online sales during this period to avoid unnecessary spread through non-critical trading.

In terms of finding it in person I doubt you will unless a local mini supermarket trades supplies like that as its mainly only food supermarkets that are open.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:07 - 26 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

If you get really desperate I have a fresh tube that I've only used a little bit out of.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:43 - 26 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazon for gun gum.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:21 - 26 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's actually a rotted pipe. The only question is whether it's going to be cheaper to have it delivered or just take it to bathwicck tyres.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:31 - 26 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
It's actually a rotted pipe. The only question is whether it's going to be cheaper to have it delivered or just take it to bathwicck tyres.

When I put a new exhaust on my van (back box & middle section) it was about £100 from Motor Parts Direct, and £250 from National Tyres.

You can probably save by DIY.

Where's the leak? If it's where a pipe goes into a box it will be hard to fix with gun gum. If it's a hole in a straight section, wrap it with sheet metal and clip it, gun gum will help but you can probably leave it out (silicone mastic works too where it does not get very hot).

SDFarsight
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:44 - 26 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
]"The government is allowing MOT centres and garages to remain open. So you can still get an MOT if you need your vehicle:

to shop for basic necessities

for any medical need

to travel to and from work
"

Why apply those caveats if they've already said that we're not allowed to have dangerous unroadworthy vehicles under any circumstances? Either we're doing MOTs or we're not. Perhaps they're just trying to discourage people from going on joy-rides during lockdown.

On a seperate note, is this 6 month extension to give you more time to book an MOT/service or is it more strict; as in you must wait the full 6 months unless it's an emergency. If it's the latter then I thought that prevention is better than cure- maintaining your bike so that the emergency doesn't happen. I'm a 'key worker' but it's still kinda boarderline as I'd only need my bike if I'm transfered to another area (which is a possibility). Even if I'm not transfered, maybe the garage won't be open in 6 months time.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:20 - 15 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently fretting about how and when the 6-month MOT extension scheme is going to be brought to an end. My bike's due for it's first MOT two weeks today, so I'd have it booked or even done by now under normal circumstances. As of today, the government guidance simply says that the scheme is still in force, with no indication when it will be ended. At the moment, the online MOT status checker still gives '29 June' as my due date, because they are only updating the dates a couple of days beforehand. So in theory, the scheme could simply be ended in 10 days time (ie now that the shops are open again) and I'll be screwed over (assuming the test centres will all be pretty busy).

Worth mentioning that the extension is actually quite beneficial to me, because my bike's not due for a service until the autumn and it would be much easier/neater to get the MOT done then at the same time.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:53 - 15 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MOT on my Golf was extended, but my usual shop reopened this week so it's booked in for Thursday. I don't want to be caught up in the rush in October.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:24 - 15 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
I don't want to be caught up in the rush in October.

There won't be a particular rush then - the 6-month extension is a rolling one. eg, my son's MOT was due yesterday but now shows as 14 Dec 2020. This is my point really - the only rush which is likely to happen is at the point when the government suddenly withdraws the scheme and people like me will suddenly find their MOT expires not in 6 months, but in a couple of days, and we'll all be scrabbling around for appointments

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:16 - 15 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually surprised they aren't backdating to the original date of the MOT when you get a new one.

I presume they don't make much money on MOT's so they aren't bothered.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:54 - 15 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I'm actually surprised they aren't backdating to the original date of the MOT when you get a new one.

I presume they don't make much money on MOT's so they aren't bothered.

The point is what the MOT means at the time. It's valid for "a year".

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:13 - 16 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who knows, the current situation my give a bit of impetus to the ongoing consideration to 2 year MOT's.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:32 - 27 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Who knows, the current situation my give a bit of impetus to the ongoing consideration to 2 year MOT's.

I thought you already had 2 year MOT in the UK. Thinking

It's 4 year MOT for motorcycles in the Czech republic. Brand new motorcycles are good for 6 years before the first MOT; cars do 2 year MOT. It used to be 2 year MOT for bikes, but then the Minister of transportation said motorcyclists always keep their machines in an adequate working order, many also don't ride all year long, so there's no need for 2 year MOT for motorcycles. And that was the last time the Gov. did something nice for motorcyclists.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:02 - 27 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
linuxyeti wrote:

I thought you already had 2 year MOT in the UK. Thinking

Yearly MOTs. New vehicles don't need one for the first 3 years. Historic vehicles (those over 40 years old) also do not need MOT, nor do they need road tax.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:25 - 27 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
Yearly MOTs...

https://i.gifer.com/26bB.mp4

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:38 - 27 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
Historic vehicles (those over 40 years old) also do not need MOT, nor do they need road tax.

Nor do they pay Congestion Charge or Ultra Low Emissions Zone charges. Go figure!

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:21 - 28 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
Historic vehicles (those over 40 years old) also do not need MOT, nor do they need road tax.

Nor do they pay Congestion Charge or Ultra Low Emissions Zone charges. Go figure!

Really? Then I'd love to drive into the CC or ULEZ in one of these if thats the case. Preferably wearing the obligatory baseball cap with 'Fuck You khan' on it.

https://www.supercars.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/x1959_Cadillac_Series_62.jpg.pagespeed.ic_.9s7yvgHt3Z-1024x683.jpg

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:07 - 28 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the TFL website:

Quote:
All vehicles that have a historic vehicle tax class will be exempt from the ULEZ. This tax class excludes any vehicle used commercially (for example, coffee vans or street food vans).

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low-emission-zone/discounts-and-exemptions#on-this-page-4

However, I thought we were just talking about motorbikes so no, still have to pay CC on that... thing.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 274 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2