Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bar end mirrors....

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Nash GT
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:56 - 26 Mar 2020    Post subject: Bar end mirrors.... Reply with quote

Best thing ever or unnecesary ballache?

Looking for reccomendations.

I recently picked up a Bandit 600 commuter, the mirrors are aesthetically ok but functionally dog shit!
they come loose when at any spirited speeds and as such become utterly useles shortly after joining the motorway.

Last edited by Nash GT on 12:19 - 26 Mar 2020; edited 1 time in total

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:05 - 26 Mar 2020    Post subject: Re: Bar end mirrors.... Reply with quote

Nash GT wrote:
Best thing ever or unnecesary ballache?

commuter

Ballache no not really - they're usually a lot clearer than standard mirrors.

Commuter though - makes bike a bit wider and at a lower point which can be interesting for filtering.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nash GT
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:11 - 26 Mar 2020    Post subject: Re: Bar end mirrors.... Reply with quote

arry wrote:

Commuter though - makes bike a bit wider and at a lower point which can be interesting for filtering.....

That's part of my concern

raesewell
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 11:47 - 26 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does stetically mean?

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:50 - 26 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Applying some non-permanent thread-lock like Locktite 243 should stop your mirrors from coming loose.

I've never used bar end mirrors - but as mentioned if you filter a lot through tightly packed city traffic then personally I would shy away from anything that made the bars even just a few inches wider.

Nash GT
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:18 - 26 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

raesewell wrote:
What does stetically mean?

Apologies, that's meant to read aesthetically.

Nash GT
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:21 - 26 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Droog wrote:
Applying some non-permanent thread-lock like Locktite 243 should stop your mirrors from coming loose.

I've never used bar end mirrors - but as mentioned if you filter a lot through tightly packed city traffic then personally I would shy away from anything that made the bars even just a few inches wider.

Hmmm food for thought will try some thread lock thanks, my daily commute does involve a spot of filtering perhaps not the best idea to make the bars unnecessarily wider

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:29 - 26 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never owned a bike with bar end mirrors, filtering would be my main issue.

Single stalk mirrors normally have a locknut arrangement on the bottom. Admittedly it can still come loose on vibey bikes, if you add a second locknut that helps, sometimes you need to extend the thread with a die.

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:30 - 26 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nash GT wrote:
Hmmm food for thought will try some thread lock thanks, my daily commute does involve a spot of filtering perhaps not the best idea to make the bars unnecessarily wider

Yeah - it should work a treat - I had a similar problem recently with the bolts securing the rear carrier rack coming loose due to vibration - the non-permanent thread lock sorted it.

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:55 - 26 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use folding bar ends on my divvy, they are a lot better than stock for me. Wider field of view, filtering is actually easier as they fold in flush, the flag style stock ones were actually wider and were a pain in the ass to get past van mirrors.

Might be a bit of a faff depending on your bar setup though, make sure you keep some kind of bar end weight on there too.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:56 - 26 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can sometimes mount mirrors UNDER the handlebar (depending on how knobbly your knees are and the bike geometry). This can actually give you a better field of view once you get used to them being there.

The newer pan-euros have very low down mirrors on the fairing that look under the handlebars. Keeps your elbows out of the field of view for one thing.

Nash GT
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:49 - 26 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for the various replies, will try a few of the suggestions and report back Thumbs Up

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:51 - 26 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent longer trying to get the bar end mirrors tight and not falling off than I did riding when I had them fitted to my bike. They weren’t the best field of view either being too small, but I thought they looked better. In the end they both dropped off and not replaced (although the mounts / bar end weights are still there).
To be fair though they weren’t the best ones on the market by a long way. Buy cheap, buy twice...
It’s rather awkward riding without them too (though not required for mot time). I ride this particular bike very little in towns / dual carriageway / motorway conditions, but when I’ve ending up doing so it’s been a bit awkward.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
- This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Flame). Unhide this post / all posts.

matto
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:12 - 27 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're an absolute PITA for filtering, an extra couple of inches at exactly the same height as most car door mirrors on my Thruxton.

They do give a really good view of the road behind though.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:03 - 27 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pan European mirrors proved that position wasn't important. Bar end mirrors win for the cool hipster look. Don't work for filtering at all. Clip the odd van or car mirror now and again with my normal ones. A wave or a stop to sort out is often enough. Clipping and losing control is my worry with bar fitted ones. (Oh, and the bar weight issue.)

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:54 - 27 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

1198 wrote:

To be fair though they weren’t the best ones on the market by a long way. Buy cheap, buy twice...

Made by hipsters, for hipsters on the whole.

I forked out for a Bumm bar end mirror on my bullet. Optics are fantastic. Fittings still on the annoying side.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:04 - 28 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best bar end mirror I've ever used are the standard fitment on my Continental GT, infact they are the only ones I've ever used that are not just a shit vibrating mess.

£90 to buy though Shocked https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/32690?ref_page=535%20Continental%20GT

raesewell
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:18 - 28 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always found bar end mirrors OK unless you are filtering, then they are a distraction.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:00 - 28 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oberon.

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:05 - 29 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Oberon.

They’re what I’m fancying too. Unfortunately I can’t get home at present to measure the bars. I think I know what size they are but not sure. Still, there’s no hurry I suppose!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:55 - 29 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

1198 wrote:
grr666 wrote:
Oberon.

They’re what I’m fancying too. Unfortunately I can’t get home at present to measure the bars. I think I know what size they are but not sure. Still, there’s no hurry I suppose!

What bike? They are almost all 7/8".

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:27 - 29 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
1198 wrote:

What bike? They are almost all 7/8".

Or are they 22mm nowadays. Not that a quarter of a mil should make much difference, I'm just being pedantic.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:47 - 30 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back when I first started commuting through London I had an old Steelie Cbr600F with a single Oberon style mirror on the right hand bar. That thing was an incredible filtering tool, and the single Oberon was considerably narrower than a pair of standard mirrors, also because the bars were quite low it still tended to pass under the vast majority of car mirrors.

I put the other style bar end mirrors (the long thin type) on my Diversion 900. Standing them straight upright kept the width to a minimum and again was an improvement on standard mirrors. I'd turn them 90° for motorways and stuff, but since the majority of my riding was filtering the narrow view behind me wasn't an issue.

Anyway, now I'm doing the exact same commute on an R1200GS which must be getting on for a good 1/3 wider than my CBR. My commute isn't any longer or more stressful, I just ride in a different way. Obviously I won't get through the same width gaps as the CBR, but the turning circle on the GS at walking speed is truly fantastic and I'll often turn across the front of a car in standstill traffic and see the bike behind not make it through the same gap.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 27 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1