Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

CORONAVIRUS - Riding in the UK query

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

AdeR12005
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:13 - 27 Mar 2020    Post subject: CORONAVIRUS - Riding in the UK query Reply with quote

Hi Guy's,
New to the forum, looks cool on first viewing.

I was wondering if anyone knows where we stand on riding a motorcycle at the moment, with the uk's current clampdown regarding the virus. Are we ok to ride if we go out for an a hour or so without stopping anywhere, for me that wouldnt be a problem as we wouldnt be interacting with anyone, sorry if this topic as been covered already.

Thanks In Advance.

AdeR1.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:20 - 27 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sightseeing and tourism full stop are both frowned upon at the moment.
Not just in Blighty but almost anywhere in Europe/the world.

The police might not be to happy if they chance upon you in some spot where there are no shops or houses as that would clearly mark you out as a tourist?

You crack on, I’m not going to stop you from here

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:23 - 27 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going out anywhere other than work and the shop. Neither should you.

I had a long weekend booked this weekend to go camping with my mates. Instead I'm cleaning out the workshop and getting my bikes squared-away ready for when restrictions lift.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:51 - 27 Mar 2020    Post subject: Re: CORONAVIRUS - Riding in the UK query Reply with quote

AdeR12005 wrote:
Are we ok to ride if we go out for an a hour or so without stopping anywhere

You can go out on your bike to do essential shopping, or go to your work if you cannot work from home, that's all AFAIK.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:11 - 27 Mar 2020    Post subject: Re: CORONAVIRUS - Riding in the UK query Reply with quote

AdeR12005 wrote:
Are we ok to ride if we go out for an a hour or so without stopping anywhere

I don't know, what do you think?

You can go outside only for "very limited purposes":

Shopping for basic necessities like food and medicine, with Downing Street saying you should do this "as infrequently as possible" and use food delivery services "where you can"

One form of exercise a day, such as a run, walk or cycle. This can be done alone or with members of your household

Any medical need, to give care or to help a vulnerable person
Travelling to and from work, but only if this is "absolutely necessary" and cannot be done from home

"These four reasons are exceptions," the government's latest guidance says.

"Even when doing these activities, you should be minimising time spent outside of the home and ensuring you are 2m (6.5ft) apart from anyone outside of your household."

Clanger
Stirrer

PostPosted: 18:13 - 27 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riding for pleasure is a not on the cards at the moment. It's simply not fair. For those staying safe at home or if you accidentally ended up on the tarmac. How would you feel about the police, an ambulance etc. being sent out to you in times like these? Taking up already limited / stretched resources? A trip to A&E? Hospital is the very last place anyone should want to be at the moment... Idea

I have been on A/L all week, and its been lovely weather, and my bike is now clean as a whistle...but thinking on the above lines is the reason I haven't been out...

AdeR12005
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:18 - 27 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx for replies,
It dont sound very promising tbh, i understand the resrtictions and why there doing it. I was going to tax my bike in April as i only ride during the summer months, so it sounds like il hold fire for a while and see how things develop, lets hope things get lifted soon.

AdeR1

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:24 - 27 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do want to go out on your bike, why not do something useful as well.

https://www.goodsamapp.org/nhs

AdeR12005
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:25 - 27 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clanger wrote:
Riding for pleasure is a not on the cards at the moment. It's simply not fair. For those staying safe at home or if you accidentally ended up on the tarmac. How would you feel about the police, an ambulance etc. being sent out to you in times like these? Taking up already limited / stretched resources? A trip to A&E? Hospital is the very last place anyone should want to be at the moment... Idea

I have been on A/L all week, and its been lovely weather, and my bike is now clean as a whistle...but thinking on the above lines is the reason I haven't been out...

You make a good point there Clanger, i guess when its put like that it makes sense, even though i dont think that came into their thought process when coming up with the restrictions. Smile

AdeR12005
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:32 - 27 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:

Thats a nice idea mate, sadly most of my time is taken up as a carer as it is, not being selfish but id like my bike for some ME time, but im sure some of the 600k volunteers to help the NHS must have bike liscences.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:39 - 27 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdeR12005 wrote:

Thats a nice idea mate, sadly most of my time is taken up as a carer as it is, not being selfish but id like my bike for some ME time, but im sure some of the 600k volunteers to help the NHS must have bike liscences.

That's fair enough, personally, I don't see an issue, not interacting with people, could always take a 'scenic' route to the shops. Being a carer will give you more reasons to be out and about if stopped and questioned.. Ultimately it's your call, as a carer, you ought to be taking even more precautions to attempt to avoid bring the infection back to who you're caring for.

Of course, what could also make a difference, is, whether or not you've had and recovered from the infection yourself, as, it's then liely you'll be immune, and as such, also not a carrier.. Again, even then, going out will still not be in the spirit of the restrictions

AdeR12005
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:07 - 27 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
AdeR12005 wrote:

as a carer, you ought to be taking even more precautions to attempt to avoid bring the infection back to who you're caring for.

Tell me about it mate, its like a military operation at the moment, keeping a distance, face mask, hand gel you name it. Thats why if i did go out on it, i wouldnt stop anywhere, saying that the overwhelming advice seems to be not to do it, sounds like the right move at the moment.

AdeR1

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:52 - 27 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do ride my bike. To work and back (we're still open). To get shopping. That's it, despite me already being out on it and it being glorious sunshine. If I can stay off it unless I need to get shopping or go to/from work, so can you. Police *are* stopping people, though that will vary by location. Around here, it's a given you'll be stopped if you're on a bike, this being N.Wales and attracts fuckwits that won't stay at home.

2wheelLover51
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:35 - 27 Mar 2020    Post subject: Travel restrictions. Reply with quote

In the spirit of reducing the spread of the virus it makes sense to limit travel. My sister lives up in Dumfries & Galloway in Scotland, and says the place is busier than normal at the moment with tourists and people going to their holiday homes, something the Gov'ment says shouldn't be happening, but with so few police about who's to stop them? Crying or Very sad

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:21 - 29 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:

Fully subscribed at the moment. They're asking us to wait a few weeks while they process the applications they've already received :-/

Personally I am leaving the house as little as possible but when I do have to leave the house I take my bike just to get that 'kick' we so sorely desire. It's like a little reward for the boredom I'm having to endure.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:14 - 30 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
I do ride my bike. To work and back (we're still open). To get shopping. That's it, despite me already being out on it and it being glorious sunshine. If I can stay off it unless I need to get shopping or go to/from work, so can you. Police *are* stopping people, though that will vary by location. Around here, it's a given you'll be stopped if you're on a bike, this being N.Wales and attracts fuckwits that won't stay at home.

I am the same.

Bike to/from work. For the first time in years I am enjoying my commute.

With most people off work, I feel I must enjoy playing with the road as most I can until people return to work and clog up the roads.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:51 - 30 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bike hasnt been out of the garage for over 2 weeks. Itll be staying there unless a really pressing need arises. Pressing need is down to having to attend work for something that I cant do with my laptop at home.

Pleasure riding is basically illegal at the moment.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:58 - 30 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most I managed is one side of the town to t'other to drop off food to relatives Sad

I have contemplated going to the [empty] office to get a bit of an airing but it's just not worth it.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:25 - 30 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, I rode my other bike for it's MOT today. But the Viffer really needs looking at as it was missing today, and the Tester managed to squeeze me in, as I still have to go to work, working bike or not.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:14 - 30 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bike needs new brake pads fitted, will do that and go to shops for weekly shop. (Panniers will help with lager and cider) after that.... it'll go to the shops in may!

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:40 - 31 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm off for a tootle round London, just to cheer me up.

notabikeranym...
Formerly known as
meef

PostPosted: 18:09 - 31 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm working from home and my shops are within walking distance. Haven't touched the bike since lock down. Slowly going insane.

MATTT
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:05 - 31 Mar 2020    Post subject: Commute Reply with quote

I have commuted 1 or 2 days a week to beat the traffic so now it's bloody great with no cars
Haven't been out otherwise on it ,but an hour a day twice a week is enough

Hopefully they will stay open ,although the work has dropped off a lot

sean5302
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 11:57 - 18 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/350/contents/made

These are the regulations and are what Plod should be enforcing.
In terms of going out for a ride, it's here:

Restrictions on movement
6.—(1) During the emergency period, no person may leave the place where they are living without reasonable excuse.

(2) For the purposes of paragraph (1), a reasonable excuse includes the need—

(a)to obtain basic necessities, including food and medical supplies for those in the same household (including any pets or animals in the household) or for vulnerable persons and supplies for the essential upkeep, maintenance and functioning of the household, or the household of a vulnerable person, or to obtain money, including from any business listed in Part 3 of Schedule 2;
(b)to take exercise either alone or with other members of their household;
(c)to seek medical assistance, including to access any of the services referred to in paragraph 37 or 38 of Schedule 2;
(d)to provide care or assistance, including relevant personal care within the meaning of paragraph 7(3B) of Schedule 4 to the Safeguarding of Vulnerable Groups Act 2006(1), to a vulnerable person, or to provide emergency assistance;
(e)to donate blood;
(f)to travel for the purposes of work or to provide voluntary or charitable services, where it is not reasonably possible for that person to work, or to provide those services, from the place where they are living;
(g)to attend a funeral of—
(i)a member of the person’s household,
(ii)a close family member, or
(iii)if no-one within sub-paragraphs (i) or (ii) are attending, a friend;
(h)to fulfil a legal obligation, including attending court or satisfying bail conditions, or to participate in legal proceedings;
(i)to access critical public services, including—
(i)childcare or educational facilities (where these are still available to a child in relation to whom that person is the parent, or has parental responsibility for, or care of the child);
(ii)social services;
(iii)services provided by the Department of Work and Pensions;
(iv)services provided to victims (such as victims of crime);
(j)in relation to children who do not live in the same household as their parents, or one of their parents, to continue existing arrangements for access to, and contact between, parents and children, and for the purposes of this paragraph, “parent” includes a person who is not a parent of the child, but who has parental responsibility for, or who has care of, the child;
(k)in the case of a minister of religion or worship leader, to go to their place of worship;
(l)to move house where reasonably necessary;
(m)to avoid injury or illness or to escape a risk of harm.
(3) For the purposes of paragraph (1), the place where a person is living includes the premises where they live together with any garden, yard, passage, stair, garage, outhouse or other appurtenance of such premises.

(4) Paragraph (1) does not apply to any person who is homeless.

If I get stopped, I might tell them I'm off to take exercise.
There is no requirement for me to even speak to them and they actually caution you against saying anything.
They have no power to stop and check where you're going.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:16 - 18 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Making excuses for your selfish behaviour is one thing. Observing the anticoronavirus rules is a much better thing.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 345 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3