Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Who’s stir crazy yet?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:58 - 01 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just_James wrote:
I nipped out to do a beer run, came back to see my clones had got bored and cloned Fido! Mad

https://i.imgur.com/n6Cf3EM.jpg

It's been done.

By the inventor of a certain wipey product.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:30 - 22 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starting to get really stir crazy now!

Walked around the house today saying “hello” to the furniture, ornaments, fixtures and fittings Confused

So bored that I even cleaned the outside drains today! Sick .

Started fighting with my cat Shocked , he always wins Smile .

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:18 - 22 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still waiting to get bored.
I haven't had TIME to get bored.
This has been the most frenetic and mentalist time of my life for over 18 months, and even then I'm only doing things half-arsed.

I can't say I envy you who have been literally indoors all that time.
I'm incredibly grateful for having reasons to be able to escape.

But FUCK ME, I could do with a little bit of a slouch around in me pants and eat baked beans out of a tin.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:59 - 22 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Day 28.
Peeled last strip of woodchip off the wall to soak
(so as not to get splinters in bum when using it as bog roll.)
Had I forseen this time of pestilence I'd have got Anaglypta
or a nice luxurious flock.
Soon I fear I shall have to do as the Romans and use a sponge on a stick
I'd better have a bucket of water and Dettol to hand for that I suppose.

Beard coming on well now

I keep wondering what the record for wandering around the flat in a dressing gown is?
I mean clothes are such a faff, why bother ? I might adopt the dressing gown as permanent attire a la Arthur Dent in the Hitchikers guide.

I hear the scratching at the wall again, I check the sigils and renew the incantations
and the garlic and crucfixes are firmly affixed before I warm a tin of soup over a guttering candle flame.

hedgehugger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:14 - 22 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm normally at home anyway day to day, but this extended time has my days right fooked up. I saw something recently that said the days of the week should be renamed to this, that, the other, some day etc I am having trouble keeping track.

Just before the lockdown started our car was out of MOT, so we'd had an extended time at home anyway because we were trying to string out the renewal into warmer weather. Then Covid came and we had to wait 3 weeks for an MOT anyway!

I've left the house about 6 times in 3 months. Go Me!.

I got out yesterday and bought compost!! Luckily the rozzers (is that still an acceptable term?) didn't spot me and fine me for non essential purchases. I did do some real shopping as well. No panic.

I've just chopped a pair of sprouting potatoes to try and plant up in a day or so. Rescued the strawberry plants, now I have some compost. Cut the grass. Get moaned at by my last chicken because I'm invading her space, she's used to knocking around with the neighbourhood moggies and local jackdaws.

Things are getting desperate and I am eying up the paint we bought 2 years ago to do the bathroom.

I've even dug the static bike out of the cupboard!

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:22 - 22 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm probably a lot more iucky than most. I live in a stunningly beautiful place and have a lot of places to walk for my daily exercise, plus plenty of ground to exercise my dogs if I don't feel like going out or the weather isn't good. If I'm feeling a bit meh, I only have to walk out of my front door, down a path and some steps and I'm at the sea with stunning views.

https://i.postimg.cc/k4TctvK3/home.jpg

My house is in that photo which was taken on a walk yesterday.

I can't begin to imagine what it must be like to be cooped up in an inner city flat or similar...

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:35 - 22 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
I'm probably a lot more iucky than most. I live in a stunningly beautiful place and have a lot of places to walk for my daily exercise, plus plenty of ground to exercise my dogs if I don't feel like going out or the weather isn't good. If I'm feeling a bit meh, I only have to walk out of my front door, down a path and some steps and I'm at the sea with stunning views.

My house is in that photo which was taken on a walk yesterday.

I can't begin to imagine what it must be like to be cooped up in an inner city flat or similar...

For one thing, people in that sort of situation are probably less smug Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:49 - 22 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

For one thing, people in that sort of situation are probably less smug Laughing

Dunno about smug, more acknowledging the fact that I'm a lucky sod really. I moved here from a 2 room flat at the top of a 3 story house in London. I don't know how I would have dealt with that. Laughing

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 19:58 - 22 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your BCF map is the correct location, how do you find living there? Is it always wet and windy, whats connectivity like, do you actually have shops and heating?

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:05 - 22 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
I'm probably a lot more iucky than most. I live in a stunningly beautiful place and have a lot of places to walk for my daily exercise

How lovely!

I've always liked the east coast.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:06 - 22 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
do you actually have shops and heating?

IRTA "shops and herring" Smile

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:17 - 22 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
If your BCF map is the correct location, how do you find living there? Is it always wet and windy, whats connectivity like, do you actually have shops and heating?

Laughing

Yes to shops (the nearest to me is about 4 miles) plus there's a Tesco, Lidl and Co-op in town. Of course to heating. Air source is becoming increasingly popular, some use oil, some use electric, some use solid fuel.

It's windy in the windy season and it can be wet but probably no worse than Englandshire. Summer temperatures are cooler, low 20s is good, winter temperatures are usually warmer than you'd think and don't dip below 0c that often. We rarely get snow and ice and when we do get snow it normally clears after 2-3 days. Summer we have long days with it dimming to twilight for an hour or two, winter we have long nights.

Connectivity is mostly very good. BT sucks major dick where I am but I do get excellent 4G with EE - an external antenna is necessary because my house has thick stone walls but I do get download speeds > 60Mb/s and upload of 12Mb/s. Alternatives are a couple of local businesses that supply decent broadband by radio. In town and some other locations, there's either FTTC or FTTH available.

Oh and we have excellent roads for biking, no speed cameras and we always get told when they try to bring an unmarked traffic car up from south - by told I mean make, model, colour and often registration number. Thumbs Up Laughing

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:20 - 22 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Islander wrote:
I'm probably a lot more iucky than most. I live in a stunningly beautiful place and have a lot of places to walk for my daily exercise

How lovely!

I've always liked the east coast.

Technically that photo is looking west Wink

winz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:25 - 22 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm starting to feel a bit cabin feverish.

Been juggling with work and doing jobs around the house, midway through updating the kitchen, 90% unpacked but stuck waiting for bits to be taken out of storage which is racking up weekly now.

The front of the house has a big pile of boxes (namely new deliveries), but we did get the paddling pool today (for the child, obviously) so I had to test that out for half an hour with a beer in the sun this afternoon.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:48 - 23 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I stumbled across a rug cleaning video on the tube.
I'd never thought about jetwashing a rug before so I thought, why not?
Dissolved a half a scoop of Bold into a bucket of hot water and scrubbed it into the rug, left it to work its magic for the time it takes to have a cup of tea and then unleashed the Karcher.
It's still a bit damp this morning but my word its come up like new. Thumbs Up

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 08:07 - 23 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
All the good shit

That looks amazing, it sounds great. Better equipped than I am and I'm near London. It was more a query on central heating rather than me being retarded and saying you don't have heating, but looking at the stone houses, assumed piped water radiators weren't exactly fitting Laughing

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:35 - 23 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
Summer temperatures are cooler, low 20s is good, winter temperatures are usually warmer than you'd think and don't dip below 0c that often. We rarely get snow and ice and when we do get snow it normally clears after 2-3 days. Summer we have long days with it dimming to twilight for an hour or two, winter we have long nights.

Mild winters doesn't surprise me. Being an island and on the route of the jet stream is a big advantage. I think Ireland, Denmark, and the north coast of Germany have similar.
The long summer days/short winter days must be interesting. The furthest North I've been is Stockholm in December, which is a similar latitude to the Shetland Islands, and I don't remember it being that different from UK.

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 15:58 - 23 Apr 2020    Post subject: Re: Who’s stir crazy yet? Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
It’s only been a few days into lock-down and already I’m climbing the walls!
Who else is already feeling bonkers about being stuck at home a lot?

Doing jobs around the house (slowly), but that will only keep me amused for so long because I fucking hate DIY with a passion.
The weather here is not quite good enough for me to drag a bike out of the garage and work on it.
That said my bikes are in reasonably good order and so don’t need a lot to be done to them.
I’ve watched more telly in the last week than I care for, Jeez! There’s some shite on the box these days.

Silly suggestions for things to keep us entertained/amused/busy please

Read some Philosophy.... ( there's loads online)... Then you can climb the walls over the conflicts entailed in the possibility that we have free will or whether it's all determined. ( To think of one engaging topic)

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:29 - 23 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best argument I heard (Scott Adams of Dilbert fame) was that if God knows the future, how can He/She/It allow free will ?

The best answer I could find is that God is some sort of multiverse entity which knows the outcome of every conceivable decision.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:15 - 23 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Islander wrote:
All the good shit

That looks amazing, it sounds great. Better equipped than I am and I'm near London. It was more a query on central heating rather than me being retarded and saying you don't have heating, but looking at the stone houses, assumed piped water radiators weren't exactly fitting Laughing

Most people strap, insulate and line the internal face of the stone walls which gives plenty of room for hiding pipes and cables. Smile

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:20 - 23 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Descartes said “I think therefore I am”
The local tramp said “I stink because I can”
Pepperami says “I’m pink therefore I’m spam”

Discuss Thumbs Up

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:22 - 23 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is insightful.

I thought the only one who was pink was him

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:42 - 23 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:

Mild winters doesn't surprise me. Being an island and on the route of the jet stream is a big advantage. I think Ireland, Denmark, and the north coast of Germany have similar.
The long summer days/short winter days must be interesting. The furthest North I've been is Stockholm in December, which is a similar latitude to the Shetland Islands, and I don't remember it being that different from UK.

It depends on the time of year you visited I suppose. Stockholm is 59 degrees latitude, I'm at 58 degrees 48 minutes.

Where you are, the sunrise today was 05:50 and sunset is at 20:16
Here, sunrise was at 05:58 and sunset is at 20:27

At midsummer where you are sunrise is at 04:44 sunset at 21:29 giving a day length of 16:45
Here, sunrise is at 04:00 sunset at 22:27 and the day length is 18:27

So there's a difference of around an hour at each end.

What does make the difference is that when the sun sets here around midsummer, it barely dips below the horizon so we get a twilight effect and no true darkness. In fact it's light enough for folk to play golf in Kirkwall ( sort of a tradition) if the weather is up to it. It's called the "simmer dim" both here and in Shetland. Smile

Here's a photo of the dim overlooking Scapa Flow to the west I took just after midnight a few years ago:

https://i.postimg.cc/c6qz03cz/simmer-dim.jpg

It doesn't do it real justice but you get the idea Smile

Of course, in the winter the opposite applies and on a heavily overcast day midwinter, it can be after 9 am before it's fully light and dark by 3. It can take some getting used to Laughing

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:50 - 23 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
This is insightful.

I thought the only one who was pink was him

Ahh you are card! Laughing Laughing Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 2 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6