Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Moody timepiece (genuine question)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:45 - 29 Mar 2020    Post subject: Moody timepiece (genuine question) Reply with quote

I'm not sure how to tell a moody one from a real one, cos I have no experience (or interest) in these things.

I was going thru my ex-husbands personal effects and I found a watch which looks (to me) like any other cheap-shit old watch.

But it says "Rolex Oyster Perpetual" on it.

And it has one of those faces with three dials on it, numbers all around the outside, and too many windey things on the side. Its just one of those metallic-looking things, probably a fiver petrol station jobbie rather than one of your 20 grand things, cos he was not well off, not even back in the day when I was married to him, and certainly not now.

When he was working (paperhanger/decorator) he used to hang out with the sort of people that wore jumpers that said Armani (typically "designer" label knock-off clothes they got "dahn the market" kind of thing) but were almost certainly moody, so I don't think this is a real one, but I don't know how to tell.

Can someone please tell me.

I assume there will be some way (writing on the back of authentic ones?) - this one just says something about Daytona on the back - but when I google it, it just comes up with loads of links to probably shitty websites of moody ones anyway.

So now I will probably get stupid watch advertising in my email and all over my FB feed, but I need to know as I do not want to chuck this away without knowing for sure, in case I can put it in hock it to pay for his damn funeral.

Thanks.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:49 - 29 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you smell a rat, the chances are it’s a rat.

You could take it to a reputable jeweller???

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:20 - 30 Mar 2020    Post subject: Re: Moody timepiece (genuine question) Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh8HhhGbAN4

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:27 - 30 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it has a smooth second hand sweep, give it back to him. People save and buy these things when they're thinking a lot about what "value" means. When they're past that, it's the £10 Lorus/Casio. Shocked However, that's enough to make it a memento of a particular period in someone's life, so if it's a real Rolex give it back even if you hate him. It's the sort of once-in-a-lifetime watch bought by people who have to work - not the super-rich easy-money types. So it will have a sentimental value, if it's real.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:31 - 30 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly look at the second hand moving. It should be a smooth sweep, not jerky. It's amazing how many fakes are quartz or poor Chinese mechanical movements.

Stick up photos of the front and back as well. I like to be nosy with watches.

Edited to say, beaten to it by Bhud!

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:22 - 30 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks you guys, v. helpful.
I'll put a picture up later on, but am too exhausted from the drama of the day.
I suspect its not real but obviously need to check it out.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:26 - 30 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
£10 Lorus/Casio.

Much more likely Laughing

I can't give it back to him, he died this morning, hence the mention that if it were real it would pay for his funeral.

But its all part of the same thing. As you say, its probably part of an "era" that might drive nostalgia, which is why even if its moody I will see if Anita wants it, as she has different memories of her father than I do, and she might like it.

Thanks Smile

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:47 - 30 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
he died this morning

Mierda. I'm sorry to hear that. If it's a fake, then if it's any consolation, a lot of things were OK in the 80s that aren't OK now. Software piracy, flick-knives, fake Rolexes, drugs, smoking, etc. 100% socially acceptable, all of them. The only things I've still got from that time are genuine, including Ray Ban Wayfarers. I doubt your daughter would understand, or even imagine that world. If that's a fake Rolex, then you might want to consider choosing an item from his personal effects that reflects his profession or occupation for her as a memento instead.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:04 - 30 Mar 2020    Post subject: Re: Moody timepiece (genuine question) Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

But it says "Rolex Oyster Perpetual" on it.

And it has one of those faces with three dials on it, numbers all around the outside, and too many windey things on the side. Its just one of those metallic-looking things

Sorry to hear of your loss.

Watch sounds like either a real Daytona or a fake one. There were plenty of fake ones around.

There's also some very good fake ones around which makes things tricky. But if it feels like cheap crap, it probably is.

https://raymondleejewelers.net/how-to-spot-a-fake-rolex-daytona-faketona-vs-daytona/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:24 - 30 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fisty is a watch afficionado Jen, shoot him a whatsapp.

piazza
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:54 - 30 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google the weight of a real one, compare Idea
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:04 - 30 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

piazza wrote:

Not always that easy, I have a fake Breitling Superocean that you'd be very hard pressed to tell from a real one by feel alone (even held side by side, I've tried). I have a couple of genuine nice watches too and the fake doesn't feel out of place along side them at all.

I don't know how sophisticated fakes were in the 80's mind, but certainly with a decent quality modern fake, you have to look very very closely to find the tells that it isn't real, with mine I'd bet money that even most Breitling retailers would struggle to tell without taking the back off.

None of that changes the fact that I know it isn't real and it feels odd wearing it because of that, but this is all getting way off topic now so we'll end it there!

Lupo
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:48 - 30 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Thanks you guys, v. helpful.
I'll put a picture up later on, but am too exhausted from the drama of the day.
I suspect its not real but obviously need to check it out.

Looking for small imperfections in the dials is a good tell as well, things that look like a sloppy job, like a marker or number off center. Anyway it is always worth to check what is inside just in case.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:32 - 30 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's when you take your fake rolex in to the jewellers to get the battery changed... Yeah, I know, just stfu and change the damned battery ok?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:00 - 30 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sweeping second hand is myth.
They have an they havent.
It depends on the movement fitted.
Even similar models can be fitted with dissimilar maker's movements. But will be of an equal quality.
If there are numbers on the back you might find a model Code and serial number.
Sometimes the number is inside the case.
There are some very obvious indicators of fakery but that needs some time and careful comparison to the genuine and the imposter side by side. T Internet has this info. Your self insulting presently so you know what to do.
Like Tony Robinson and his Time Team. (DYSWIDT?)

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:08 - 30 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
piazza wrote:

Not always that easy, I have a fake Breitling Superocean that you'd be very hard pressed to tell from a real one by feel alone (even held side by side, I've tried). I have a couple of genuine nice watches too and the fake doesn't feel out of place along side them at all.

I don't know how sophisticated fakes were in the 80's mind, but certainly with a decent quality modern fake, you have to look very very closely to find the tells that it isn't real, with mine I'd bet money that even most Breitling retailers would struggle to tell without taking the back off.

None of that changes the fact that I know it isn't real and it feels odd wearing it because of that, but this is all getting way off topic now so we'll end it there!

There is a very nice website with loads of imfo to point check a Brietling. The fakes are not that difficult to fake out. Expensive timepieces use a lot of sophisticated visual devices that fakers usually don't bother incorporating in their fake.
It's usually not just one item to look for but a combination in one timepiece. That narrows it all down.

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-spot-a-fake-rolex-2013-7

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:36 - 30 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys,
Just for your interest, these are the pictures that I took
(there was a video of the movement which I sent to the esteemed Fisty, but am not sure if I can it to work on here)

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:15 - 30 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fake.

The Winner inscription on the back makes a real one a very rare beast.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Lupo
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:26 - 30 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree, seems to be a copy of the 1988 model:

https://www.dailysportscar.com/2019/01/28/what-do-the-rolex-24-winners-watches-actually-look-like.html

It is too tatty and corroded, meaning steel no on par with those of Rolex, also the 6 o'clock mark is of center, same with the 7 o'clock one. Also after reading around, seems that those models do not have date indicator.

You can compare the markings with a real one in this page:

https://raymondleejewelers.net/how-to-spot-a-fake-rolex-daytona-faketona-vs-daytona/

If it is working, open the back and google what movement is fitted with.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:34 - 30 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not an expert, but that looks like terrible quality.
Glass appears scratched, bracelet clearly attaches in the different way to the lugs than a real Rolex, the writing on the dial is patchy in places , and it doesn't have the Rolex symbol on the crown or else you would have shown a sideways photo. The crown symbol on the bracelet appears to be crudely punched.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:42 - 30 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Fake.

The Winner inscription on the back makes a real one a very rare beast.

Agreed. Also the bevel engraving is no where near the standard of a Rolex even allowing for wear.

Oh and as far as I can remember, and looking on line, the Daytona doesn't come with a day dial (mon, tues etc.) like then one on the left (9 o'clock) position on your watch.

Someone might prove me wrong with that last statement.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:17 - 30 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
There is a very nice website with loads of imfo to point check a Brietling. The fakes are not that difficult to fake out. Expensive timepieces use a lot of sophisticated visual devices that fakers usually don't bother incorporating in their fake.
It's usually not just one item to look for but a combination in one timepiece. That narrows it all down.

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-spot-a-fake-rolex-2013-7

So I'm sitting with mine in my lap now, going through this website: https://www.truefacet.com/guide/how-to-spot-a-fake-breitling-watch/

And by that website alone you'd not sniff out mine as a fake.

The main tell on mine is the bracelet hasp and even that is pretty bloody close to genuine, I reckon if I fitted a genuine bracelet it would get past the vast majority of inspections. The face/mechanism is pretty uncanny. The Chronograph second hand snap back is perfect which I'm told is one of the hardest bits to fake.

No idea what movement is in it but it keeps time better than my genuine Oris too Laughing

GSTEEL32
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:17 - 31 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in total agreement on this one.

Its very very unusual to see a Rolex in that sort of condition. The quality of the alloys used (which replica's do not emulate) in luxury brands make a massive difference.

Rolex will, as an example, take a 1970's "Datejust", service it and return it, looking brand new. I've seen this with one or 2 colleagues at work.

I have 2 Breitlings, a Super Ocean Chonometre and Super Avenger 2. The Super Ocean came back looking "new" (its 12 years old) after a service.

I agree with dug, fresh out of the box, a "replica" will look and feel almost as good. However, within 5 years, I suspect you would see a significant difference.

Ultimately, pulling the back off and looking at the mech, will tell you all you need to know ....
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 363 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2