Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Negative scanner for old images

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:32 - 30 Mar 2020    Post subject: Negative scanner for old images Reply with quote

I have a negative of a VERY old photo (from 1986) and I can't find the original any more. In fact it was taken at my second marriage (registry office), and there are two images on the strip that I would like to have created into modern pictures.

I asked on Facebook and Gerry (Nowhere Elysium) mentioned a negative scanner would be likely to be involved.

So I was wondering if anybody has or knows of access to a negative scanner (how do those work?)

I am utterly UTTERLY clueless at Photoshop.

Clueless of E16

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:28 - 30 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unlike a normal scanner that shines a light up on the surface as it's being scanned,
a negative scanner uses a light in the lid which shines down through the negatives to be scanned.

An upward light on a neg would just reflect off it and give very poor results so this is turn off whilst scanning negs

There are also purpose built neg scanners of course but You be daft to buy one for one negative when there are probably lots of folk with
a scanner knocking about

What size film? 35mm, 120?, 110? medium format?

I digitised my whole family album some years ago and scanned a shit load of old 35mm negs/slides and some 120 negs from the dark ages too

Results will depend on the condition of the neg.
Photoshop etc can despeckle and repair images given time but a badly out focus one is the worst to try and fix in my experience.
Scratches, rips, cracks and and stains are easier if you're patient and know all the PS jiggery pokery.
I'd rather try and fix one torn in half than an out of focus one.
Grossly under or over exposed doesn't help either.

I still have an Epson V370 photo scanner in a box somewhere that has a 35mm transparency holder
If no one local can help you I could dig it out and have a go

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:40 - 30 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an app for that
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=dk.appdictive.colorNegativeViewer&hl=en_GB
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:02 - 30 Mar 2020    Post subject: Re: Negative scanner for old images Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
...VERY old...(from 1986)...

Let me stop you right there young lady.
Hand Tut Tut
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:44 - 30 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you trying to achieve? A printed image (enlargement, poster etc) to frame and hang or a digital image for storage or display on a device?

Also, is it a negative or a slide (positive)? I'm a bit thrown by the reference to "E-16".

There are plenty of places that offer a scanning service - of course this means losing control of your precious primary image, either by post or in a local store (should they ever open again).

It can be done with a phone and app, although the quality of this will depend on all sorts of variables. You can also get devices that attach to the end of a camera lens, which can turn out decent results with the right setup and patience.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:30 - 30 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can create a 'modern picture' from a negative, there's no need to overnerd it.
It all depends entirely on what level of quality you're willing to except.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:15 - 30 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I might have a negative scanner at work.

Can't actually check for a few months though so that probably doesn't help you!

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:11 - 30 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 35mm slide converter that also does that.

£25

I did 3500 slides to images for my wife when i was between jobs. If we weren't under lock and key you could have nipped up with the slide and i'd do it.

Bit more expensive sadly

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10MP-Negative-Film-Scanner-35mm-135mm-Slide-Film-Converter-Photo-Digital-Image/333496229243?hash=item4da5ec9d7b:g:XowAAOSwgqZeOa8Q

Quality is 'so so' but then most original negatives weren't brilliant either.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:48 - 30 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

weasley wrote:
What are you trying to achieve?

I was going through what was left of my ex-husband's photos, and there seems to be quite a few folders of negatives, which I haven't looked through yet, but this one was out on its own, so I glanced at it, and became RIDICULOUSLY nostalgic Laughing

Basically I just want to have a print made of it so I can put it in a frame for my daughter, because it is of myself and her father signing the marriage register.

There is another one on the same sheet which appears to show us standing outside Fulham Town Hall but I don't even have a recollection of seeing that as a photo. Shocked

I had the register-signing one as a photo for ages but I think it got lost when Fulham Council managed to lose the entire contents of my flat (i.e., all our belongings) in their storage depot some dozen years or so ago.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:51 - 30 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
Unlike a normal scanner that shines a light up on the surface as it's being scanned,
a negative scanner uses a light in the lid which shines down through the negatives to be scanned.

An upward light on a neg would just reflect off it and give very poor results so this is turn off whilst scanning negs

There are also purpose built neg scanners of course but You be daft to buy one for one negative when there are probably lots of folk with
a scanner knocking about

What size film? 35mm, 120?, 110? medium format?

I digitised my whole family album some years ago and scanned a shit load of old 35mm negs/slides and some 120 negs from the dark ages too

Results will depend on the condition of the neg.
Photoshop etc can despeckle and repair images given time but a badly out focus one is the worst to try and fix in my experience.
Scratches, rips, cracks and and stains are easier if you're patient and know all the PS jiggery pokery.
I'd rather try and fix one torn in half than an out of focus one.
Grossly under or over exposed doesn't help either.

I still have an Epson V370 photo scanner in a box somewhere that has a 35mm transparency holder
If no one local can help you I could dig it out and have a go

Check you ouuuuuutttt, you dark horse Cool

andy_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:49 - 31 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

weasley wrote:
I'm a bit thrown by the reference to "E-16".

I'm guessing an area of that London.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:48 - 31 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am reminded that a few years ago I took some 35mm colour films
I shot at a bike show to Tesco for them to develop and scan the negs, the resulting files then put on a CD.
Your local big Tesco may be worth asking but I also recall finding them a bit grainy
and asking what resolution they were scanning the negs at and not getting a satisfactory answer.
The 'yoof' didn't seem to know.

It was just bikes n shit and no big deal but as a lot of old fambly pics have high sentimental value, I'd want them scanned at the highest possible resolution.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:22 - 31 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my limited experience with old photos, the issue isn't what they scan into in terms of quality, it's the quality of what you're scanning that matters.

All the negatives i scanned were just as good a quality as the matching 35mm colour slides we had. Slightly better in some cases as i lightly retouched them in photoshop for the important ones.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 24 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1