Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

So today furlough did happen...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

bladerunner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:46 - 04 Apr 2020    Post subject: So today furlough did happen... Reply with quote

all but 5 of the work force of 400 have either been let go ( self employed contractors) or put on furlough for at least 5 weeks...more like minimum 8 and possibly 36? we make tooling that is used in the construction of metal sheet product..car body work mostly as well as things like 80% of uk road signs and the such. I wouldnt mind too much but I'd just finished 14 days self isolation due to a family member having come down with a fever and flu like symptoms...yup works for the NHS and no they didnt get tested! how many of you guys are working from home or been laid off/ furloughed?

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:33 - 04 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It won't be 36 weeks continuous lockdown
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bladerunner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:15 - 04 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
It won't be 36 weeks continuous lockdown

I'm not saying it will be 36 weeks lockdown...we are not even in lock down in the true meaning. However as Elon musk would class it, we make the machine that makes the machine and the supply chain for that kind of production is long. Say if you make cars and your iron ore mining company is shut down, you cant make cars, if your glass maker is shut down, you cant make cars, if the oil company is shut down, you cant make cars, if your plastic moulding company shuts down, you cant make cars, if your paint manufacturer cant make paint, you are shut down....if your rubber manufacturer is shut down, you cant make cars, if your dealerships are shut down, you cant sell cars, if your client base is out of work..you cant sell cars. this whole supply chain is not a quick process. its not like the guys turn upto work and you are making cars....its a WHOLE lot longer than that..and thats if you still have customers that are in a position to buy them! A lot of cars today are bought on PCP or the such....and those guys will not be after jumping into the local show room to spend a big % of the monthly income when they cant even buy bog roll Neutral

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:55 - 04 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working from home, did so before for the most part, but, no, classed as an essential, so, whilst 60% of workforce furloughed, not me, wouldn't mind, missed out on a really good redundancy package as well last year !

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:43 - 04 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been working from home for the last week and a half. It's not a huge deal for me to be honest, as I tend to do this from time to time if I have a demanding piece of work and want to avoid annoying interruptions. I suppose I'm in a fortunate position really.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:53 - 04 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing a lot of home working/non public contact work at the vets here. The work I am doing takes longer because we're only letting the pet in through the door, not its owner. This takes longer and we are trying to only have one of us in at any one time so we don't all get sick together.

Large animal stuff is largely unchanged, the cows don't know there's a virus on.

In fairness, we're really busy. It's a busy time of year anyway because of lambings and calvings and the small animal stuff takes a lot longer due to distance working. We also have a fair few staff off sick.

I spent two full days doing nothing but sit at home fielding phone calls, dispensing treatments and triaging things that urgently needed to be seen to another person. Busier than normal working days.

Saturday morning though.. usually utter bedlam and it's like a ghost town in here. With most people staying at home, they already sorted their problems through the week.

As of Monday, we've probably hit the magic number of people who have already had coronavirus to avoid a complete meltdown in staffing. Two of them come out of self-isolation today. Maybe a bit of a microcosm for the rest of the country?

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:27 - 04 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's looking like 12 weeks total.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:38 - 04 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep .. been furloughed .. place is pretty much closed .. office workin from home about 6 or so still in from about 30 .. will see if its still trading when this is over ... boss recons he gonna need £1 000 000 000 to see him over and out the otherside cos his order book is empty and closed for this year .. except 12 or so contracts .. however i don`t think they will be enough in the long term 12 months .. and restrictions lifted .. my money is on the 1st june ..

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:04 - 04 Apr 2020    Post subject: Re: So today furlough did happen... Reply with quote

bladerunner wrote:
all but 5 of the work force of 400 have either been let go ( self employed contractors) or put on furlough for at least 5 weeks...more like minimum 8 and possibly 36? we make tooling that is used in the construction of metal sheet product..car body work mostly as well as things like 80% of uk road signs and the such. I wouldnt mind too much but I'd just finished 14 days self isolation due to a family member having come down with a fever and flu like symptoms...yup works for the NHS and no they didnt get tested! how many of you guys are working from home or been laid off/ furloughed?

Be thankful that you just finished your isolation because you can't get put on furlough whilst self-isolating so (subject to your employment contract) you'd only qualify for SSP.

A couple of guys at work - the type who usually just do enough work to get by and need little to no excuse to take time off - have shot themselves right in the foot like this. They immediately declared themselves as self-isolating so instead of getting 80% gross they are stuck on SSP for the remainder of their isolation.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:10 - 04 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on-site/WFH roughly 50:50 (pharmaceutical R&D, normally 100% on-site), doing lab work and project planning as if the existing timelines haven't changed. But as bladerunner says, as soon as we turn to the factories for the next manufacturing campaign I expect we'll find they're just not ready.

FretGrinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:28 - 04 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, currently on furlough until the 16th of April, which my employer is going to review when I'm due to go back.

If they decide to cancel the furlough once the 16th arrives, at least I'll be able to ride the bike to work, since I can't ride it at any other time.

ಠ_ಠ

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:00 - 04 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 of us left at our place, the rest (including two relatives of one of the directors, and a director also!) Furloughed. Accounts is working from home constantly, apart from when they need to come into the office for paperwork reasons, the rest of us are splitting shifts and working from home half the week while the others are in the office.

Going to put myself forward for furlough tbh, and let one of he lads who has more outgoings come in if he wants and the bosses agree to it. I'm lucky enough to be able to manage on an 80% wage.

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:08 - 05 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many colleagues have already been furloughed.

I’ve been told I’m definitely fine until the end of the month, then who knows.

Money wise I would be okay, I earn more than the max, but I’ve always been cautious. I don’t have any debts really and I own my own home.

My issue is boredom, I’ve been working from home and I like being busy.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:31 - 05 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

As soon as the government decide compamies have to stand on their own feet and stop their 80%...........trouble

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:33 - 05 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

kawakid wrote:
Many colleagues have already been furloughed.

I’ve been told I’m definitely fine until the end of the month, then who knows.

Money wise I would be okay, I earn more than the max, but I’ve always been cautious. I don’t have any debts really and I own my own home.

My issue is boredom, I’ve been working from home and I like being busy.

Got aprivate pension? Mine halved in th 2008 fuck up, this is way way worse

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:10 - 05 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m not pension age yet, I’ve got about 22 years to go.

I had about 150k in the pot, I’m guessing that’s about 15p now.

My ww2 veteran uncle survived off a state pension, I will have to too. I can live cheap if I need to.

Perhaps I should get a civil service job if I’m laid off. The pension on that would be secure.

Tbh at the moment, I don’t care, I’m just happy to be alive and my kid well. If I get through this, all I care is about my family and me living.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:14 - 05 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
As soon as the government decide compamies have to stand on their own feet and stop their 80%...........trouble

I'm just looking forward to the tax hikes when all this is over Rolling Eyes

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:30 - 05 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Self employed. All jobs cancelled, nothing coming in, cant claim ssp as wife works, might get something in June. Had only been back working a month after a knee replacement and 3 months off, shit situation all round.

OGR
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:41 - 05 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people barely get 20k a year.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

kolu
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 11:22 - 05 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm slightly below median income (fuck, I was expecting a rise in April) technician working for a coffee roastery in London. Almost half my income after tax goes to rent, now I'm on furlough with 80 % of my salary (all our clients are shut, no machines to fix) so that's quite significant cut in roughly the amount I was able to monthly save or spend on motorcycles. Insurance is due in June.
My landlord flat out rejected any reduction in rent AND told me that if I pay less then she's expecting that to be repaid after the crisis although her mortgage repayment is paused for 3 months (I asked). So I try to organize together with the rest of the tenants (some are even worse off than me). Call me a racist but such a chinese bitch!

For the company (we have 2 cafes and roughly 150 staff total) all are on furlough except for 6 key production employees who just roast, pack and dispatch coffee to online customers. Our wholesale basically ceased to exist. Happy days!

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:54 - 05 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm working full time from home. The joys of being a programmer.

I think the company is going to be okay for longer than most, we even had a new started this week!

My brother's boss put his whole company on furlough, and said he'd top up the the 80% rate the government are offering to make it 100%. So my brother is now getting several weeks fully paid time off. Lucky for some!

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:06 - 05 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

- wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Most people barely get 20k a year.

That's left wing propaganda nonsense.
A full time minimum wage job is a minimum of almost £18K. Most people are not on minimum wage in the UK, only 7% are.

Quote:
The Low Pay Commission estimates that there were 2 million workers paid at or below the minimum wage in April 2019, around 7% of all UK workers.

The average is...

Quote:
"Average Salary UK | 2019. The Office of National Statistics has released its provisional update of the UK Average Salary 2019, showing that the average full-time salary is £36,611 "

Or maybe you mean "median"?

Quote:
"The median income - or 50th percentile - is £24,897 and for full-time employees it's £30,353."

Is the IFS left wing?

Try this: https://www.ifs.org.uk/tools_and_resources/where_do_you_fit_in

Toy around with it a bit. It's quite interesting!

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:37 - 05 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another furloughed worker here.
I can easily manage on 90% but there will be loads of greedy bastards where I work bleating about their overtime going down the pan and having to take less than a basic wage.
Can't wait to get back and start winding them up.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 358 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 1 of 14