Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

VanVan, Grass Tracker, TW 125/200

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Freddierf85
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:49 - 09 Apr 2020    Post subject: VanVan, Grass Tracker, TW 125/200 Reply with quote

Hi All,

I've searched high and low before posting, but can only find scraps of relevant information. Please help with your wisdom!

I'm 34, needing a commuter bike because my wife needs the car with our first child. So I'll be doing approx. 30 miles per day, 5 days a week. I'll do my A2 test, and don't need anything more so please don't suggest the DAS!

I need something super reliable (I'm a teacher, so mechanic ability very limited!), budget ideally £2,000 maybe slightly more at a push. I really don't care about speed or racing ability - classic style and reliability for me please!

I don't want something boring or generic. I love the look of:

Suzuki Van van 125 or 200
Yamaha TW 125
Suzuki Grass Tracker TU250
Kawasaki 250TR
Honda FTR223

I know the Kawasaki and Honda are both only available as imports, so this may rule them out in terms of price/finding parts?

Anything else that has similar style, I'm all ears.

Help and suggestions massively appreciated!

Cheers,

Freddie

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:14 - 09 Apr 2020    Post subject: Re: VanVan, Grass Tracker, TW 125/200 Reply with quote

Freddierf85 wrote:
I'll do my A2 test

Not for a couple of months at least. What licence have you right now?

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:16 - 09 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I had a VanVan125 as my first bike so I can shed some light on that one a little.

Its a well build (in Japan) and very reliable little machine with not much to go wrong with it. Small tank, but £6 of petrol used to last me the week. Its got a super comfy big bench seat (also quite low, very easy to flat foot). Big wide bars, but still small enough to filter. Very easy going bike. The large seat and usually a rack as standard means its very easy to strap extra luggage down to it also.

The only 'downside' to it, is its fairly slow, flat out is about 65ish. Up a steep hill 55. But its not a highly strung thing, so not going to go pop anytime soon. Also very easy to work on.

The large tyres are a bit odd feeling at full lean but handle just fine as long as you dont try to push it to its limits.

There is a pretty helpful forum for them also.

Somewhere around 2007 or 8 they switched from carbs to fuel injection also.

My main concern would be the nature of the commute. If its any motorway involved, I would just outright go for any of the bikes with a larger motor as its out of its comfort zone there.

I would also advice actually going for the DAS rather than A2, just because its exactly the same test, doing the DAS now means you dont have to spend a whole load of extra money if you decide you do want a larger machine (which im sure you actually will :p)

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 14:43 - 09 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start at the beginning.

A2 vs 'DAS'... DAS is the Direct Access Scheme, which is the route top a full, Ride What You Like A entitlement licence, without waiting out the 2 years from 17 to 19 to be old enough to do A2 or the two more years, having passed A2 tp be eligible to do RWWYL 'A' via DAS.

Ie, you are over 25, it matters little. Tests are exactly the same and with most schgools even the bike you do them on are the same, for A2 or RWYL 'A', all thats different is they may plug in a diferent engine black box to 'restrict' a bike to be elibible for an A2 test.

Ergo... you have four options:

1/ Do 'just' CBT to validate provisional entitlement and ride a 125 for up to 2 years, on L-Plates

2/ Do CBT; Which you HAVE to do to do any other training anyway.... but, do CBT, yjhen carry on, get a 125, ride it a bit on L-Plates, then when you feel; up to it, self book and take A1 tests, for an A1 - 125 'only' entitlement.

3/ Do DAS..... for A2.. which if you are old enough to do DAS for RWYL 'A' via 3/ is pretty pointless. See 4/

4/ Do DAS. if over 25 y/o for a ride what you like 'A' licence. As said, tests are exactly the same, and for RWYL'A' vs A2, likely even the exact same bike.

Of the options; well CBT and L's is cheap and easy... or down and dirty and DANGEROUSE depending on which way you look at it.

DAS courses tend to lok expensive, at around £1000 a course. If you break that down and take out the cost of bike hire to do the course, actually it's not... but you are a teacher, you should know about being under paid and under valued an d sypathise...

However, IF you are competent and confident enough to take top the roads on two wheels on ANYTHING... you damn well should be competent and confident enough to do the tests to prove it.... if not do you really think that its a great idea NOT to, and try dodging tests just doing CBT, which is your intro lesson?

If competent and confident, then A1 on your own 125 has the merit, it can be accomplished fairly fast and its cheap to do, self booked, on your own bike... but going it alone trying to teach yourself to ride, often DONT prove so cheap when you have to start buying touch up pens and new handlebars to repoair drop-damage.... you have been warned....

Suggestion then begs a DAS course, and the full Monty RWYL one for full 'A' entitlement, as its as expensive either which way, and should give you the know how, whatever bike you may get at the end.

Which is a worthy point; its a 'Full' motorcycle licence, not a 'big bike' licence. Yopu can choose to ride a 125 or whatever on RWYL'A' as easily as anything else; No one says just cos you have passed tests that allow you to ride a 1300cc mega-macine, you actualluy have to.. same as the fact that just 'cos you have opassed a car test you 'have' to go get a Ferarri to make it worth the doing.. you can just drive a Ford Fiesta!!!

WHICH all throws the matter rather open, and back to top; before you worry about a BIKE you need woprry about a BIUKE-LICENCE... and a crash hat, and wet weathr wear, and where to put your lunch etc etc etc.... What bike, is pretty much the LAST thing you need fret about, NOT the first... and what you might look like?! Ha-Ha!

Lets dispel that one from the start... you will look like a PRATT! (at least to 99% the population!) A half drowned on in UK weather, most of the time... and that is to them that even bother to look! And most, peculiarly the ones that should, dont pat much attension ANYWAY.. hey school teacher! Wake up at the back there!!! Do your pupils pay as much attention as you'd like? So why the heck do you expect other drivers might?

Most bnike acdcidents are whats known as SMIDSY's or 'Sporry Mate, I Didn't See You'.. foplk really dont look, or if they do, pat much attension.... so what you look like, or what you THINK you look like, really dont make bog all odds!

Back to bikes.

Go book a coursee.

Get a licence.. preferabl;y a Ride What You Like 'A'

Lean a little along the way.

Then go buy whatever you like, really.

30 miles a day? 5 days per? 33 weeks a year?

Honmda Dullville springs instantly to mind. 600cc, about 50bhp, low (note LOW not NO) maintenence shaft drive; pretty good MPG, reasonable insurance, its an easy to love with two wheeled 'car', you need DO-DAS ti ride..... and is suggested bench-mark tio rate alternatives, bigger or smaller, any of which you may ride on a DAS obtained RWYL'A' licence...

But THAT getting to grips with and actually getting a bike licence is where you should start.. not worrying about what bike might attract most teens in the play-ground!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Freddierf85
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:25 - 09 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys, thanks for the advice.

Tdibs, I won't be doing any motorway riding on my commute, so the Van Van's limited top speed isn't a worry for me.

Van van is currently my front-runner but just wanted thoughts on the other, similar looking Japanese bikes I'd mention (Yamaha TW 125 , Suzuki Grass Tracker TU250, Kawasaki 250TR, Honda FTR223) some of which would require more than an A1 licence.

I agree, the logical thing to do would be the DAS. I thought the A2 was easier/cheaper but if that's not the case then I'll just stick to the A1 and a 125cc.

Teflon-Mike thanks for such a detailed response. All very valid and appreciated. However don't get too hung up on thinking I'm worried about what other people think (not sure that's what I wrote?!). But I do care about what my bike looks like, who doesn't? And as for getting my licence first and then looking at bikes, come on - of course I am interested in researching bikes, it's exiting and I imagine 99% of people on here enjoy hunting for their next purchase! Not a lot else to do during Corona lock down...

All advice welcome, especially on the models above and whether Jap (grey) imports are too risky when it comes to maintenance. Cheers

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:23 - 09 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a left of field. Just because I like the brand, I'm pretty sure the whole Royal Enfield rage of motorcycles is A2 compliant.

They are currently making 2 offroad styled machines. The Himalayan and the 500 trials.

Freddierf85
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:06 - 09 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stinkwheel - yes, thank you, I had checked out the RE Himalayan. Very mixed reviews, but again, the speed isn't an issue for me so it could be a god option. Just need to wait a while for some second hand ones to come up costing closer to the £2000 Mark!

Last edited by Freddierf85 on 19:12 - 09 Apr 2020; edited 1 time in total

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:12 - 09 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A totally different style, but the 535 continental GTs are looking like a cracking second hand buy at the moment.

Freddierf85
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:14 - 09 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

About £2k more than my budget though!

kolu
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:22 - 09 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Freddie,
as your first bike buy something as cheap as possible. Because you will (the best case) lay it down at least once. Whatever Japanese will be okay, even Korean bikes aren't so bad (like my Hyosung - the build quality is okay, it just rusts). I've put my bike down already two times (forgot sidestand, one almost collision followed by hard brake at lean = just lay it down). I would be pissed to damage anything more expensive, and you probably as well.
After year or so, when you have more experience riding, get something nice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 21:04 - 09 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really wish they made the Yamaha XTW250.

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/crash.net/visordown.com/styles/amp_1200/s3/field/image/44128.jpg

I like the TW and the VanVan but I still think oddities like the TNT125 and MSX125 are as wild as you get whilst being cheap.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:15 - 09 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

kozesluk wrote:
Hey Freddie,
as your first bike buy something as cheap as possible. Because you will (the best case) lay it down at least once.

It's not compulsory, many get by without "having to lay it down" at all. Buy what bike takes your fancy. If it turns out that it's not ticking your boxes, change it. Life's too short.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Freddierf85
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:44 - 09 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

That XTW 250 is the dream! Anything like that actually available to buy

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:39 - 09 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
I really wish they made the Yamaha XTW250

If that yellow blob is an XTW250, "Eurgh!". Made in collaberatoin with LEGO.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 08:44 - 10 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddierf85 wrote:
I agree, the logical thing to do would be the DAS. I thought the A2 was easier/cheaper but if that's not the case then I'll just stick to the A1 and a 125cc.

There are three parts to the bike test;
1/ the Motorcycle Theory/Hazard, on the computer in the class-room.
2/ the Part 1 - 'Off-Road' play-ground exercises round the cones
3/ The Part 2 - 'On-Road' practical, in traffic.

Whether you test for an A1-125 'only' licence, an A2 'middleweight' licence or the full-fat RWYL 'A', the tests are the exact same tests, and just as hard or easy regardless. Only real difference in the regs is the capacity of the bike they must be taken on.

A1, must be taken on a bike between 120 and 125cc, capable of at least 60mph, and or on the DSA approved list.

A2, they have played with the specs a bit recently (Check DSA Webby for exact current specs); but used to be a bike over 400cc and over I think it was 180Kg, and 35bhp.

RWYL'A', I think now has to be over 550cc and 180Kg and 45bhp (Check DSA Webby for exact current specs). And as said, with schools, often the exact same bike as for A2 with a different engine black-box plugged in to make it complaint to tests being taken.

The actual tests are exactly the same ones, and exactly as hard or easy.

The only anomaly is that you may ride a 125, on L-Plates on 'just' CBT without taking tests. This is NOT an A1 licence; you still have to take tests for that.

Advantage of A1, is mainly that you dont have to do a course to get a licence, you can do CBT, get a 125, ride yourself to the test centre, do tests, and get a licence. But, you are still only allowed to ride a 125.

In fact, you don't 'have' to do a course for A2 or RWYL 'A', either, only you are not allowed to ride a bike over 125cc, on the road, ahead of tests, without the supervision of a DSA approved instructor, which makes it rather awkward and inconvenient,so most tend to do a course,which includes bike hire and an instructor.

So, small value of A1, is that you can do it the cheap way, on your own bike and save training costs, and testing for A1 is about as cheap as a 'repeat' CBT course to continue L-Plating after DL196 cert has expired; but the down-side is you do NOT do the training.

It would be a bit like opening the fridge and getting out a pack of eggs, and teaching yourself to cook a souffle, from a cook-book, without any-one to show you how to light the oven.... expect a lot of broken eggs and mess on the floor before you have something you could serve for dinner.... your call!

Which brings us back around, and the suggestion JUST DO A BLUDY COURSE! and get a RWYL 'A' licence!

Moving on, and corona virus window shopping and dreaming; Oh-Kay... fair enough, but such mentalmasterbation is just that. Get on a course, and after you have actually ridden something, and learned a thing or three, your ideas are likely to be completely different. Aspirations will change, and notions will evolve.

If you want 'something' to while away the time of lock-down, do something 'useful', and find and do some Theory/Hazard perception 'Practice' computer games. Get yourself to the stage you can pass mock tests 99% of the time... then when they unlock, you can go and do and are on your way, rather than starting from scratch with a load of fantasies instilled in your brain.

On to the matter of bikes.... actual real world, made of metal bikes....

There's hundreds of the things in the brochures and adverts and pictures on the net. Trouble is you can only buy one that some-one actually has for sale.... there's 60million people in the UK. Half of them have a car licence, and there are more cars than there are folks with licences to drive them. Only 1% of road transport is by bike! Sales stats suggest that they only sell something like quarter million motorcycles a year, in total. And half of them, are under 125's, and of those, four fifths are scooters! Assuming aproximately a 7 years product life on average, that means that there's only around 2million motorcycles, of any shape or form, the length and breadth of the country, and of them, there are probably only about 1/4 million that 'may' be for sale, in any one year... the length and breadth of the country....

Your ideals and aspirations over your perfect ideal motorbike, are very likely to be rather dented by reality when you actually might go bike shopping,and again, what you think would be a great bike to go for, is likely to get changed to suit what you can actually lay your hands on!

Window shop by all means, but, if you want to get ahead any; do some home-work! Find out what the actual test regulations are, and dispel this sort of confusion that a CBT is an A1 licence, or that an A2 must somehow be any easier or cheaper than RWYL'A'.

Then go do them theory/Hazard mocks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Freddierf85
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 09:00 - 10 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Ok Mike I'll do the dam RWYL 'A'. Happy? Killing my dreams!

dynax
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:53 - 10 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to go A1 then go that way, that is the way i'm going as i don't need or want to ride anything bigger, bollox to other peoples opinions, do what is the best way for you Thumbs Up

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:08 - 10 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddierf85 wrote:
About £2k more than my budget though!

Not the 650 twin, the 535cc single. You can find them for very close to 2k.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49534480623_333e799513_b.jpg

A1, A2 or A licence are all the same tests so at your age do A.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 11:28 - 10 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddierf85 wrote:
[Ok Mike I'll do the dam RWYL 'A'. Happy? Killing my dreams!

What would you tell a kid in the back-row?
Not a lot wrong with dreaming... b-u-t.. your'dream' is about how to get to and from work!
Makes little to no odds to me, what bike or licence you may eventually decide to go for; I got a RWYL'A' licence, and more than one or two bikes that beg that licence I could go ride. I also have more than a handful of A1 complient 125's knocking about... I'm (not) all right, Jack. (I'm actually waiting for folk at the NHS to go back to work and tell me 'scans' are in, and my nervous system 'probably' is shot, but that's another story!)
You have, on the one hand the 'NEED' to get to and from work. On the other hand, you have an IDEA that might be satisfied by a motorbike.. and you have a whole shed load of ideas and aspirations bagged up in there, of 'WANTS' where the bike has to fullfil your ideas of what looks cool...
Seperate the 3... Needs, Wants and Ideas. Some 'may' be mutually conducive, b~u~t... this is the real world.. most wont be.....
Meanwhile, IF you want to make anything reality; before bikle you need a licence to ride it, and you are hinting at ideas that you dont even know what licence you might need!
Back to them kids in the back-row.. go look at port on the net, if that's what gets you off, BUT do your dang HOME-WORK.... FIRST!

You 'want' a bike; you 'think'; this'll sort the need to get to and from... so you are starting, fretting about the last thing you need to... what bike, and what that looks like!

Start at the beginning.. and if, along the way, you want to indulge in a little window shopping... fair enough.... just recognise the porn for what it is, and don't confuse it with your home-work!

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:45 - 10 Apr 2020    Post subject: A1 test Reply with quote

Having given this type of info/advice on a number of occasions, I would suggest something like this: do CBT, ride around getting comfortable with it, book a theory test, pass that then do the a1 on your 125. If you get this done in 3-4 months into the life of your theory test, you could then spend a year on the 125 deciding whether to go for a bigger bike or not, leaving you a good 8 months to get the full A. If you decided not to go for A, you'd not have spent money on training or a course you didn't need.

dynax
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:51 - 10 Apr 2020    Post subject: Re: A1 test Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
Having given this type of info/advice on a number of occasions, I would suggest something like this: do CBT, ride around getting comfortable with it, book a theory test, pass that then do the a1 on your 125. If you get this done in 3-4 months into the life of your theory test, you could then spend a year on the 125 deciding whether to go for a bigger bike or not, leaving you a good 8 months to get the full A. If you decided not to go for A, you'd not have spent money on training or a course you didn't need.

Once a test is passed any further tests don't need the theory just practical, theory is done and dusted, one thing that would be more beneficial would be a progressive route for those that don't want to go full DAS, pass A1 then get provisional entitlement on A2 which would allow riding A2 bike on L's until such time as to do A2 test Thumbs Up

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:57 - 10 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dynax, you miss my point. And you cannot put l plates on an a2 bike without an approved instructor.
Why go A2 and spend money on test not needed. Over 24 then this is a cheaper option. If you go from a1 to full A you still need a valid theory. A theory, mod 1 and mod 2 on the a1 bike is cheaper than renewing a CBT in a lot of places now.

Freddierf85
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:08 - 10 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the further insight guys.

I agree that the DAS looks logical, but it boils down to money and time vs whether my 30 miler per day commute would require more than a 125. If a 125 is likely to struggle doing 30 miles per day, then it may be worth investing now and getting a slightly more powerful bike that won't struggle at 40/50mph...

How would a Van Van cope with that mileage?

Teflon Mike, don't fret, theory is booked and I've made contact with a course provider... Now let me enjoy researching the vehicles without getting a grilling from you!

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:13 - 10 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddierf85 wrote:

Teflon Mike, don't fret, theory is booked and I've made contact with a course provider... Now let me enjoy researching the vehicles without getting a grilling from you!

Smile Thumbs Up good job Smile
You buy what you want Thumbs Up

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:21 - 10 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wife used to commute from Gloucester to Stroud on a van van. About 10 miles each way up some really steep hills... not a problem.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 9 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2