Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What a tw@.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

martin734
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:46 - 16 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

sean5302 wrote:
What a pile.
We are still in Europe, you know, the place that starts about 12 miles from Dover.
If the rider had been doing 150mph along the German autobahn, so what?
Why do people pontificate because he did it here?
There was no victim and he did no harm to anyone. Far too many curtain-twitchers and people with their noses in other folks' business.

Riding at 150mph on a German Autobahn is very different to riding at 150 mph on a British Motorway. Drivers on the Autobahns expect people to be driving and riding at that speed and adjust their own driving and riding to suit the higher speeds. They don't for example, change lanes to overtake if there is another vehicle in that lane less than 200 meters behind them and they tend to be more observant and careful when driving or riding. People in the UK are not used to seeing people travelling at that speed and so they tend to pull into smaller gaps expecting that the person who is 100 meters behind them is travelling maybe 10-20 mph faster than themselves rather than 70-80 mph. They also tend to leave less time between indicating and manoevering. I have had people misjudge my speed on motorways many times and pull into a gap that is too small. Luckily I have usually been able to slow down in time, except for the one occasion when I didn't have room to avoid them and ended up spending 8 weeks in hospital and 18 months of Physiotherapy It doesn't matter how good a rider you are it only takes a small misjudgment or momentary distraction by someone who is not expecting you to be travelling more than twice as fast as they are for it to end in disaster.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:01 - 16 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

sean5302 wrote:
What a pile.
Far too many curtain-twitchers and people with their noses in other folks' business.

Hmmm? I thought this was a motorcycle related forum and people on here discuss motorcycle related topics???

If you find it so offensive, maybe you should try Knitting.com Thumbs Up

sean5302
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:06 - 16 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
sean5302 wrote:
If the rider had been doing 150mph along the German autobahn, so what? Why do people pontificate because he did it here?

What if he'd been doing it anywhere at all in Europe, passing a marked police car, apart from the unrestricted sections of the German autobahn?

In France he might have got a shrug of Plod shoulders.
In Italy he'd be clapped.
In Belgium he might get a fine through the post but they don't have points.
In Germany, on any autobahn, he'd be ignored like every large Merc, BMW or Audi.
Have you even ridden / driven abroad?

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:12 - 17 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

sean5302 wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:
What if he'd been doing it anywhere at all in Europe, passing a marked police car, apart from the unrestricted sections of the German autobahn?

In France he might have got a shrug of Plod shoulders.
In Italy he'd be clapped.
In Belgium he might get a fine through the post but they don't have points.
In Germany, on any autobahn, he'd be ignored like every large Merc, BMW or Audi.
Have you even ridden / driven abroad?

So that'll be why just the french police on their own issue about 40,000 requests for "speeding driver" information to DVLA *per month* on average (source: FOI request to DVLA).

You're just talking a load of old. End of.

sean5302
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 09:51 - 17 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

And that would be why Parliament has made no enabling legislation, permitting French authorities to pursue UK motorists or motorcyclists over here.
You really haven't a clue, have you?
If speeding UK riders were a problem for European authorities I'm sure they'd ask UK Parliament to pass a law here. They haven't.

sean5302
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 10:19 - 17 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

martin734 wrote:
sean5302 wrote:
What a pile.
We are still in Europe, you know, the place that starts about 12 miles from Dover.
If the rider had been doing 150mph along the German autobahn, so what?
Why do people pontificate because he did it here?
There was no victim and he did no harm to anyone. Far too many curtain-twitchers and people with their noses in other folks' business.

Riding at 150mph on a German Autobahn is very different to riding at 150 mph on a British Motorway. Drivers on the Autobahns expect people to be driving and riding at that speed and adjust their own driving and riding to suit the higher speeds. They don't for example, change lanes to overtake if there is another vehicle in that lane less than 200 meters behind them and they tend to be more observant and careful when driving or riding. People in the UK are not used to seeing people travelling at that speed and so they tend to pull into smaller gaps expecting that the person who is 100 meters behind them is travelling maybe 10-20 mph faster than themselves rather than 70-80 mph. They also tend to leave less time between indicating and manoevering. I have had people misjudge my speed on motorways many times and pull into a gap that is too small. Luckily I have usually been able to slow down in time, except for the one occasion when I didn't have room to avoid them and ended up spending 8 weeks in hospital and 18 months of Physiotherapy It doesn't matter how good a rider you are it only takes a small misjudgment or momentary distraction by someone who is not expecting you to be travelling more than twice as fast as they are for it to end in disaster.

I entirely agree with most of that.
I ride a Hornet 919 and thoroughly enjoy it.
I treat other road users as if they're deaf, dumb and blind. Many are.
Regardless of speed or location I perform a risk assessment and ride at what I consider an appropriate speed. "I consider" not Plod or some council employee.
If I consider 150mph is safe for me, who the fuck should tell me I'm wrong?

myvision
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:41 - 17 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

In France they would throw the book at him.

sean5302
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 11:08 - 17 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

myvision wrote:

Not in my experience.
I have regularly ridden in France, Germany and Belgium with no problems.
The only 2 countries I've ever been bothered are The Netherlands and the UK.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:25 - 17 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

sean5302 wrote:
myvision wrote:

Not in my experience.
I have regularly ridden in France, Germany and Belgium with no problems.
The only 2 countries I've ever been bothered are The Netherlands and the UK.

Great, so there are no speed limits on the continent. You go & tell them that. It's a waste of time them making requests to DVLA under the Cross-Border Enforcement Directive, which still applies. You go & tell them that too.

You really haven't a clue, have you.

I'm not asking you, or discussing it with you, I'm telling you.

Also the subject of this thread is still an utter twat.

sean5302
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 11:58 - 17 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Shite.

Well, let's take your comments in order so we can see who's also an utter twat.
1. Wrong. There are speed limits on the continent. I presume you mean Europe.
2. Wrong. They can request data from the DVLA but they have no means of enforcement against the riders revealed by them.
3. You're telling me nothing. You have no authority, no intelligence and no powers of persuasion.
4. The subject of the thread is a human being. It's a matter of opinion which adjective is used to describe him but "sticks and stones..." Who gives a fuck what you think?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:23 - 17 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I smell sock Sad

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:20 - 17 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
I smell sock Sad

Me too.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:52 - 17 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread escalated quickly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TheIncredible...
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:54 - 17 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
This thread escalated quickly.

As most seemingly do!

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:38 - 17 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be a / sock.

The arguments remind me of him.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sean5302
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 13:06 - 18 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
Could be a / sock.

I'm baffled by the nomenclature but assume that a "sock" is some previous member who has re-joined.
I can only tell you that I've never been here before and only joined because I'm stuck at home.
Normally, I'd be out on the bike, on a ride-out. Socks and all.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:35 - 18 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

sean5302 wrote:
bhinso wrote:
Could be a / sock.

I'm baffled by the nomenclature but assume that a "sock" is some previous member who has re-joined.
I can only tell you that I've never been here before and only joined because I'm stuck at home.
Normally, I'd be out on the bike, on a ride-out. Socks and all.

At 150 mph Cool

Royski
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 08:42 - 27 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

TaffyTDM wrote:
... if he had a prang at that speed he would be unlikely to cause much of a burden on the nhs, it would be a cursory look at his body and the paramedics would be gone again whilst plod looked for his head.

*Paramedic picks up helmet and flicks open visor to reveal head is still in there*

Yep. He be dead.

*Kicks rest of viscera into central reservation and steals still intact RAM mount*
sean5302 This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Boring). Unhide this post / all posts.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:34 - 27 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple admin burden: there are plenty of tw@ts that, given the opportunity, would ride at 150mph all day, every day regardless of the bike or conditions. How does one differentiate between those skilled enough to ride at high speeds safely and thrill seeking squids? Look for the flip flops?

Politicians are lazy: one-size-fits-all, race to the bottom stuff. Easy to administer. Why 70mph? Pin in random chart. Why 21 units a week for men and 14 for women? Pin in a random chart.

We could easily have German style Autobahns here but that would require investment in better quality roads. Obviously this pays for itself eventually in increase productivity as people aren't hanging about as much but then you have the ideologues howling "but a child dies at 30 and might survive at 20!" Umm, we're talking about motorways? "DIE AT 30, SURVIVE AT 20!" But... "LALALALALALA!"

Politicians aren't brave. They haven't got the bottle to go "f*ck you!" to the MSM. Well, there is one that does, how's that working out?

sean5302
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 12:29 - 27 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's dissect that.
No, there aren't plenty of people who ride everywhere at 150mph. They end up dead very quickly. Experience is what keeps us alive. Knowing that we're masters of our bikes.
How does one differentiate? We make learners display "L" plates, restrict the power of their bikes and don't let them access motorways. We submit them to tests and only when we're satisfied they're capable to we license them.

Agreed second paragraph. 70mph was the limit set on 22 December 1965. Here we are with it, despite advances in road design, braking, handling and training. Is that sensible?

I'm surprised that you think we need investment in the roads. Have you ever travelled on the autobahns? You'll find they're almost all 2-lane concrete highways.

I don't understand your final paragraph. If you believe I'm right, why wouldn't you push for my opinion rather than that of the numpties who believe speed kills, rather than the improper use of speed?
We've now got 20mph "twenty's plenty" zones.
We've got women walking off footpaths, into the road, glued to mobile phones directly into the path of a biker riding perfectly legally on the road, yet held only 50% to blame.
We've got cyclists riding on footpaths or through red lights colliding with us and being given insurance payouts.
Are you in favour? The MSM can say what it wants, but it won't convince the sensible among us.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:55 - 27 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

sean5302 wrote:
The MSM can say what it wants, but it won't convince the sensible among us.

So you're saying everyone else is too stupid?

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:02 - 27 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

YOU might ride at 150mph on a motorway because YOU consider it safe and sensible. Someone might drive/ride after having 5 pints of beer and consider themselves safe and sensible. Doesn't make it right though does it?
Sure, you or them may well avoid an accident but the odds start to go against you.

If you want to ride at those sort of speeds I'd suggest you save it for the track.

sean5302
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 08:23 - 28 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Class "whataboutery".
You try to conflate a licensed, experienced, competent rider who makes a valid risk assessment with someone who is neither competent nor capable due to alcohol.

It is perfectly legal to ride at 150mph only some miles away on the autobahn.
It is certainly not legal to ride anywhere with your stomach containing 5 pints of beer.

Don't you comprehend the difference?

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:02 - 28 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

150 is fast, even for the autobahn. There's plenty that'll storm along at 120, 130 when the roads empty, but 150 is somewhat unusual.
I've had two fines through last year, one from Germany and one from Austria 100kph zones where I was slightly over. No points, 30 euros and 40 euros. Both came with nice pictures of me. No they can't pursue me in the UK, but my number plate would ping up on ANPR next time through, and they are putting in border checks to look for illegals now and again.

On an empty UK road with decent visibility and weather on a fast bike. Meh.
Doing it past a marked Police car... Laughing Laughing I think he was probably calling himself a twat for doing that.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 362 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4