Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

The smelltrack to your life

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:24 - 10 Apr 2020    Post subject: Re: The smelltrack to your life Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
I was in the chemist
So on the spur of the moment I bought this.

How's your day smelling?

“Ahh the great smell of Brut!”
Ahh my teenage years were filled with the smell of Brut, as a I tried to convince myself and any girl that I was manly and shaved a lot??

Don’t ask how I know but it stings if you get on your willy Shocked !

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:25 - 10 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Aviation fuel on the pan in Germany, on a hot summer day. Sitting on the grass waiting for a cab to come in for a rotors-running refuel, cold can of Coke in hand, overalls stripped to the waist; visiting F16s with their high-pitched whine taxying past; Harriers of 3 and 4 sqns carrying out hover tests, and the heavy "whop-whop" of Chinooks from 18sqn across the field Smile

The hayseed I was dating from Wiltshire last year used to do stuff that sounded like that (before he retired), he only lived 5 mins from Boscombe. I quite liked taking his dog for a walk and looking out for planes making interesting noises.

Shame he was such a dolt.
Life could have been pleasant down there.

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:42 - 10 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
yen_powell wrote:
That smell always makes me remember the Ruskin Arms on a Saturday night. Mind you the same happens when my feet stick to a floor anywhere.

Weed, behind a stack of speakers, dark corner.
I seem to remember the really sticky floor was in front of the bar at the Green Gate (Oscar's)? Teenagers spilling snakebite with blackcurrant Laughing It was ok if you just walked across it, but if you stood there for any length of time, it was like someone had glued your feet in place, an audible peeling sound when you moved off.

Wot, no Castrol memories?!
Oh yes, Oscars was Friday and Wednesday I think. It's a McDonalds now. I'm not sure if my inability to pick out human conversation in a noisy pub is down to going there or riding a bike for too many years.

My other memory of the Ruskin is the beer laying all over the bar, occasionally being lifted up by a leather jacket fringe and being flung about as they turned round.....oh and the flooded toilet floor.

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:49 - 10 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
The Ruskin is a lame wine bar now.
I never went there back when it was good.
I was busy being proper Italian wifey.
But I know a lot of people who were in and out of there all the time.

*you were probably smelling Paul (a dreadlocky white fella out of Hackney) who is part of that history. He turned up here a couple of times, and was hanging about with my previous accessory about 2 years ago, he always smells of patchouli Paul does, nice chap.
I went and had a look a few years ago, who knew it had windows eh? I used to nearly de-bollock myself getting my bike up the pavement to park outside, the kerb was super high.

I had a school mate called Andrew Smith who I used to see in there, he had very long blonde hair and had somehow gained a sort of Eton accent since leaving a Dagenham school and was nicknamed Hippy, a really nice bloke. I last saw him in a lorry as I filtered through a queue of traffic in Stratford and we had a brief chat through the open window. He was full of happiness about becoming a dad recently. I never bumped into him again and heard that he died in somewhat tragic circumstances.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:53 - 10 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

yen_powell wrote:
I'm not sure if my inability to pick out human conversation in a noisy pub is down to going there or riding a bike for too many years.

Now you come to mention it Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:56 - 10 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

yen_powell wrote:
hellkat wrote:
The Ruskin

I went and had a look a few years ago, who knew it had windows eh?

lol.

Quote:
I used to nearly de-bollock myself getting my bike up the pavement to park outside, the kerb was super high.

My mate solved this by wheelspinning his GPz1100 along the pavement of the side road up to the corner before parking Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:01 - 10 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

yen_powell wrote:
WD Forte wrote:
Patchouli
Every time I smell it
I'm like wow, cool, peace man.
Far out and things I only dimly remember,
if at all
That smell always makes me remember the Ruskin Arms on a Saturday night. Mind you the same happens when my feet stick to a floor anywhere.

How did you manage to smell that over the smell of stale piss from the blokes' toilet? Laughing

I was a regular at the Ruskin in the late 70s and early 80s. Very Happy

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:05 - 10 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
The Ruskin is a lame wine bar now.
I never went there back when it was good.
I was busy being proper Italian wifey.
But I know a lot of people who were in and out of there all the time.

*you were probably smelling Paul (a dreadlocky white fella out of Hackney) who is part of that history. He turned up here a couple of times, and was hanging about with my previous accessory about 2 years ago, he always smells of patchouli Paul does, nice chap.

A wine bar? Joe Lucy must be spinning in his grave. Sad

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:08 - 10 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

I think I first went there in about '82. Was pretty regular for a few years.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:09 - 10 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

yen_powell wrote:

I went and had a look a few years ago, who knew it had windows eh? I used to nearly de-bollock myself getting my bike up the pavement to park outside, the kerb was super high.

I had a school mate called Andrew Smith who I used to see in there, he had very long blonde hair and had somehow gained a sort of Eton accent since leaving a Dagenham school and was nicknamed Hippy, a really nice bloke. I last saw him in a lorry as I filtered through a queue of traffic in Stratford and we had a brief chat through the open window. He was full of happiness about becoming a dad recently. I never bumped into him again and heard that he died in somewhat tragic circumstances.

I managed to blow one of the industrial extractors off of the window to the left of the stage with an overenthusiastic maroon detonation during a gig there. Laughing

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:10 - 10 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Islander wrote:

I think I first went there in about '82. Was pretty regular for a few years.

Do you remember a band called Dogwatch?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:13 - 10 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

A wine bar? Joe Lucy must be spinning in his grave. Sad

His son Tom took it over after, then I think some Pakistani fella still ran it as a rock venue for a while?
You couldn't recreate places like that now Sad

Quote:
Do you remember a band called Dogwatch?

I don't think I ever saw any bands there, only went on the Saturday nights. I'm aware that it was a kick-off point for Iron Maiden, that's about all I know as far as bands go.

Weren't Angelwitch quite local too? Or maybe I'm thinking of Wytchfynde?

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:25 - 10 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

His son Tom took it over after, then I think some Pakistani fella still ran it as a rock venue for a while?

I knew Joe and Tommy quite well - they were top blokes Smile

It was where I misspent a lot of my youth Very Happy

chickenstrip wrote:
I don't think I ever saw any bands there, only went on the Saturday nights. I'm aware that it was a kick-off point for Iron Maiden, that's about all I know as far as bands go.

Weren't Angelwitch quite local too? Or maybe I'm thinking of Wytchfynde?

I seem to recall Angelwitch... Iron Maiden got their start between the Ruskin and a pub in Maryland Point called the Cart and Horses, better known as the Cart 'n Farts to the yoof of the day Laughing I used to go there a lot too.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 18:26 - 10 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear David Beckham's Essence (fnarr fnarr) right now, and it smells surprisingly nice. I did have some Brut that someone bought me as a gift but I never liked it all that much. Smelt a bit 'old man' for me.

But in terms of memories, nothing works for me in the way that two stroke smoke does. It reminds me of being 19, having an NS125R and being at Uni in Brighton. Thems were the days!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:51 - 10 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

I knew Joe and Tommy quite well - they were top blokes Smile

It was where I misspent a lot of my youth Very Happy

I didn't really know either of them, but they seemed like nice guys on the few occasions I spoke to them. I seem to recall Joe had a very pronounced limp, and both were into boxing.
I also remember Mick who collected glasses, and Colin the DJ (although wasn't there a different DJ before that who also used to do the Gate? - can't recall his name now*). A good time Smile

*Neal Kay - did he do the Ruskin? Would have been a little before I started going if so.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:53 - 10 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
a pub in Maryland Point called the Cart and Horses,

We went there a handful of times three or four years ago. Its still pretty cool. Lot of locals and a pool table, which they move back in readiness for the bands. Late licence til 2am I think.
Not even certain if its still open now.
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g186338-d2462814-r319538420-Cart_And_Horses-London_England.html#UR319538420

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:58 - 10 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

I didn't really know either of them, but they seemed like nice guys on the few occasions I spoke to them. I seem to recall Joe had a very pronounced limp, and both were into boxing.
I also remember Mick who collected glasses, and Colin the DJ (although wasn't there a different DJ before that who also used to do the Gate? - can't recall his name now*). A good time Smile

*Neal Kay - did he do the Ruskin? Would have been a little before I started going if so.

You could say they were into boxing, Joe was lightweight champion twice and had his Lonsdale belt on display behind the bar. Tommy was no slouch either - they ran a training gym for local talent above the pub. He was also brother in law to Terry Murphy who owned and ran the Bridgehouse in Canning Town, another famous music venue. Terry and his son Glen were both boxers too. Glen went on to star in London's Burning as one of the firemen. Smile

I don't remember much about DJs - I was far too much into live music to bother with them at the time although I do know of Neal Kay Smile

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:03 - 10 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
the Bridgehouse in Canning Town

Thats down the road from me. Been boarded up for years.
Well it was. Prolly been knocked down by now.
Crossrail and high value apartments owned by the Singaporean banks, cutting a swathe right through that area.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:03 - 10 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Islander wrote:
a pub in Maryland Point called the Cart and Horses,

We went there a handful of times three or four years ago. Its still pretty cool. Lot of locals and a pool table, which they move back in readiness for the bands. Late licence til 2am I think.
Not even certain if its still open now.
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g186338-d2462814-r319538420-Cart_And_Horses-London_England.html#UR319538420

t's good to hear that it was still running as a music venue as recently as that though. There used to be an amazing beigel shop almost opposite called beigeleats - dead handy for late night post-pub munchies Very Happy

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:09 - 10 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Islander wrote:
the Bridgehouse in Canning Town

Thats down the road from me. Been boarded up for years.
Well it was. Prolly been knocked down by now.
Crossrail and high value apartments owned by the Singaporean banks, cutting a swathe right through that area.

It's where Depeche Mode got their break (and quite a few others). I used to chat to Rory Gallagher there from time to time Smile

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:18 - 10 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poison, loved a few ladies who wore it. It still gives me a boner.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:59 - 10 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:

That's the first smellies I bought the mrs, back when we were at it like rabbits.
Lacoste takes me back to when I first started shaving. I used to nick it off my brother.
I still buy it now along with Boss and JPG.
Creosote and used engine oil mix has a special place for me.
I remember helping my old man paint the fence with it.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:01 - 10 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:

I'm more a Fendi man myself, but finding the original formula is as likely as finding rocking horse shit.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:24 - 11 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I smell *strongly* of baby powder, due to a cat-related accident when I attempted to apply the dry-wash procedure to my hair.

Furry idiots Rolling Eyes

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:25 - 11 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:

Creosote and used engine oil mix has a special place for me.
I remember helping my old man paint the fence with it.

Wub OMG I love that smell Wub
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 17 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5