Suzuki Van Van (rv125)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

BlackStallion
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:13 - 02 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve750 wrote:
i never use it now obviously because i have a slightly faster GSXR-750. Laughing

Rolling Eyes Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Asharin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:37 - 02 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

milkster125 wrote:
I was going to do my CBT on a Hyosung Karion RT125, which is very similar to the Van Van, but unfortunately it was taken, and i ended up having to do it on a little Vespa 125, which i didn't like at all.

The Hyosung RT125 is what I am riding these days, very nice to ride but they put the rear shock on the softest setting by default, too bouncy for my liking! One day I might adjust it....

BlackStallion
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 11:09 - 03 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

asharin wrote:
milkster125 wrote:
I was going to do my CBT on a Hyosung Karion RT125, which is very similar to the Van Van, but unfortunately it was taken, and i ended up having to do it on a little Vespa 125, which i didn't like at all.

The Hyosung RT125 is what I am riding these days, very nice to ride but they put the rear shock on the softest setting by default, too bouncy for my liking! One day I might adjust it....

Yeah, i think most Hyosung bikes are nice to ride, i've been on the GT125R which is a sports bike, and the XRX125D which is my bike. Both felt well built and contructed for 125's, the GT has the same body work and fairing as the 650 version, so it's a big bike, and my XRX was mistaken for a 250 and a 400 once, which i took as a complement Smile

I no what you mean by bouncy, the rear shock on my bike is quite soft, but i like it, it's more comfortable when going over pot holes, because there's been some rather large and deep ones that i haven't been able to avoid, and with my rear shock, it's not worrying to go straight over them.

Glad to hear there's someone else out there on a Hyo Thumbs Up not many people have even heard of them, but they are certainly growing, best of luck on your Karion mate, ride safe Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 1 year, 44 days between these two posts...

Frankston
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:01 - 16 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies for yet another bump but I didn't think that this deserved it's own thread.

Contemplating getting the Van Van for my first bike but I've read/heard that the speedo isn't lit? I commute mainly at night so this is a pretty big factor in whether or not I get this bike.

LeeR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:19 - 16 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't remember it's been so long since I last rode one at night, but I doubt you'll ever be going too fast on a VanVan Very Happy

But, seriously try asking a question or browsing www.suzukivanvan.co.uk Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 2 years, 244 days between these two posts...

Spamalittle
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:07 - 16 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
Next thread bump is due 2010 - wonder how many VanVans will be on the road then?Smile

I make no apologies for the shameless bump Folded arms

End of 2013 is looming and according to the good folks over at 'how many left' we're just shy of 2300 little vanvans still pootling around, straining away in the face of the shallowest of inclines. At least, in my humbly wee opinion, Suzuki came up with the best looking colour scheme for this year's model.

https://i.imgur.com/zWMzUeul.jpg?1

.....anyway, and actual reason for bumping the prehistoric thread, anyone know what's happening with the vanvan forum? I usually pop in every few days but it seems to be down (in the sense that it's just nae there). Don't know if it's a today thing or a been gone for a while thing...www.suzukivanvan.co.uk

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:42 - 16 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always liked the look of the Van Van, different from your bog standard learner/commuter without pretending to be something it isn't. I see loads of them in London. That teenie weenie fuel tank must need a lot of regular feeding though.

Marmaduke
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:50 - 16 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

6 litre tank does me about 100 miles.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:56 - 17 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imo they look loads better with the bigger GN125 tank on, and a cut back seat. Can only do this on the carb models though. In other news - the speedo *is* lit (Frankston 2011). And the vanvan forum continues - please do be aware that the merest mention of any other bike apart from the vanvan can and indeed regularly does result in a ban from the site. Unless you're a moderator in which case you can start a thread offering for sale Enfields and owt else you've got. Holy fuck there's some truly shitty moderation goes down there.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:33 - 17 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankston wrote:
Apologies for yet another bump but I didn't think that this deserved it's own thread.

Contemplating getting the Van Van for my first bike but I've read/heard that the speedo isn't lit? I commute mainly at night so this is a pretty big factor in whether or not I get this bike.

I've just asked my wife, who has done 10,000 miles on hers, and..

she doesn't know.

https://i.stack.imgur.com/jiFfM.jpg

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:35 - 17 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps, another hitler finds out video...

Hitler finds out I nicked her, I mean his Laughing , vanvan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpQwp8Ypt6I

Sable
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:56 - 18 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:

Very good Smile Now wheres the video of you killing a 7k BMW? ^^

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:32 - 19 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sable wrote:
thx1138 wrote:

Very good Smile Now wheres the video of you killing a 7k BMW? ^^

Here, 1st week of ownership, hadn't even run it in. Rolling Eyes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISU9Zjf_r18

Then here it is getting set a little bit on fire by some drunken relatives

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5HNNpXaWoo
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 3 years, 66 days between these two posts...

MarkJF
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:42 - 23 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resurrected!

I bought a Van Van last week after wanting one for years. I've been up and down the capacity ladder, up as far as 1300c but always had more fun with lighter bikes, my favourite being the Dommie 650 NX.

I'd actually been trying to get "real life" detailed ownership info on Mash bikes but apart from a good thread on here, there is FA out there and I didn't want to take the risk so I went back to my original idea of a Van Van.

I already know they are slow, but slow is relative, I also own a 1962 Vespa..............I love the Van Van, it's been put straight into commuting duties, a 7 mile Leeds/Bradford conurbation run in rush hour, twice a day, it is ideally suited to this work and is great fun, the only 125 that I'd consider riding. Very Happy

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:49 - 23 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sort of want. Sort of want the 200 more, but do not want to pay £4K for one. I doubt anyone will. Sad

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:43 - 24 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Sort of want. Sort of want the 200 more, but do not want to pay £4K for one. I doubt anyone will. Sad

I always hoped the 200 would have something like 22bhp. It hasn't. Anywhere....near....it. oh Sad

Probably will still buy one though if one pops up cheap enough.

Mawsley
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 06:52 - 24 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they were £400, which they should be, I'd have one.

Three and a half grand? Fuck right off.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:38 - 24 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Probably will still buy [a 200] though if one pops up cheap enough.

Ditto, but someone will have to shell out £3999 £3799 £3599 £3299 new for that to happen.

Surprisingly, at least 54 have been registered. I won't say "sold", since that's fewer than 1 per Suzuki dealer, so they could all be demonstrators or pre-reg bikes that will sit around like the last puppy in the pet shop window for years.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:58 - 24 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

I always hoped Honda would do a 250cc version of the Varadero / Transalp completing the range (125cc Vara, 650cc / 700cc Transalp, 1000cc Vara) didn't expect them to can the 125, nor for Suzuki to do a bigger Vanvan!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:43 - 24 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzuki's planning to release a V-Strom 250 next year:

https://www.suzuki-gb.co.uk/motorcycles/motorcycles/adventure-sports-touring/vstrom/v-strom-250/

25hp, and apparently over 190kg wet, depending which lie you want to believe.

I was going to say that you could buy a "Honley" (Zongshen) RX-3 if you didn't want to wait, but after selling 41 of them they seem to have thrown in the towel. Best of luck to the owners.

Oldie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:07 - 24 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

A used Mash 400 looks to be a better buy. I think that it will hold together fairly well. Anyway, much as I love Van Vans, Suzuki used some cheapo fasteners on them, which is poor form for an expensive bike.

Anyway, jump in here.....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2016-MASH-XY-400-ROADSTAR-ONLY-80-MILES-FROM-NEW-/201710017500?hash=item2ef6da9bdc:g:r14AAOSw4GVYHgfZ

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:29 - 24 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Embarassed ahem.

anyway, 200cc is much better, it feels more than 75cc's better Very Happy

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:32 - 24 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldie wrote:
A used Mash 400 looks to be a better buy.

That one is nice. 70-odd sold, it's a marginally better prospect than the Zongshen. I hope they stick with it.

MarkJF
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:24 - 24 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, seen the used Mash 400's on Ebay, nearly 40% of the new value gone in 80 miles!

I could run the Van Van into the ground for 3 years and maybe lose, £300, it makes you think........

I'd still like a Mash 400 but I need more owner info before taking the plunge, even then, it wouldn't get me to work any quicker than the Van Van or a Hyabusa, it's through traffic choked roads.

I have read that the Van Van will no longer meet EU laws and will be discontinued, hence the arrival and desperation to shift 200's. If true, I'll wager older used models will go up, rather than down in value within a short time frame. Of course they are too expensive new, but aren't all small bikes, especially in comparison with what else you can buy at 4x the capacity only a few years old?

But, I wanted one and it was a lot easier to buy than my other "wants", the Mash or Suzuki Grass Tracker 250 which were all (all 2 of them) 220 miles away.

I have plans for it.......

[img]https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRQ5hdj8ZkFVBhnXYvguxSTxjd3BusQYriNhkN0QBnOCl2PBe5kRA[/img]

Last edited by MarkJF on 22:39 - 24 Nov 2016; edited 1 time in total

MarkJF
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:35 - 24 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Suzuki's planning to release a V-Strom 250 next year:

https://www.suzuki-gb.co.uk/motorcycles/motorcycles/adventure-sports-touring/vstrom/v-strom-250/

25hp, and apparently over 190kg wet, depending which lie you want to believe.

I am sure it will be a good bike, but look at it, it's just another small capacity machine (pretending to be something it's not) that'd get lost in the parking bay. It's got no charm, it's not a Van Van & tbh I wouldn't be seen dead on it.

My wife wanted a Fiat 500 but bought a "safe" Suzuki Swift, it ran without any problems for 3 years but she was never happy till she got the Fiat, it's got charm, she can't stop looking at it, cleaning it or driving it, same thing.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 116 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4