BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bread Thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:06 - 15 Apr 2020    Post subject: Bread Thread Reply with quote

So, what bread have you been making with all your hoarded flour? Or what bread have you been making with the motley assortment of available flour because some cock has been hoarding flour?

I made flour tortillas at the weekend. Self raising flour, water, pinch of salt and a good glug of oil. Knead to a relaxed dough and roll out thin.

I cooked mine on the gas hob on an upside down, oiled steel kahiri (Indian cooking pan, like a wok but with two handles and a fully domed bottom, like you get your curry in at a balti restraunt).

Never buying tortillas again.

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:45 - 15 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bread, as I'm a glutard, but I did make potato pancakes yesterday.

Grated spud, gf flour, eggs, salt, marjoram. They're pretty good.

Eddie Hitler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:46 - 15 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never in my life made a loaf of bread. I think I'll give it a go this weekend and post my results.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:48 - 15 Apr 2020    Post subject: Re: Bread Thread Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
what bread have you been making with the motley assortment of available flour because some cock has been hoarding flour?

White bread.

Roughly 8oz SR flour 'cos I've almost run out of bread flour, 12oz bread flour, yeast, about 12 fl oz of water, 3/4 tsp sugar. No salt 'cos in the SR. Mix for 5 mins with a mixer, leave for 25 mins with a tea-towel over the mixer bowl, to rise near double, ish, mix for a couple of mins, tip out roll on worktop until sausage-shaped (the very end of a packet of wholemeal to stop it sticking, into greased tin, oven at 200 for 25 mins.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:04 - 15 Apr 2020    Post subject: Re: Bread Thread Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
So, what bread have you been making with all your hoarded flour? Or what bread have you been making with the motley assortment of available flour because some cock has been hoarding flour?

https://www.nabim.org.uk/news/article/1918/retail-flour-shortages

The following is a statement from ALEX WAUGH, director general of the National Association of British & Irish Millers (nabim) – the trade association for UK flour millers – regarding the current shortages of flour in supermarkets and shops.

The UK is self-sufficient in flour, producing about 90,000 tonnes every week. Yet many people are experiencing shortages in supermarkets and shops.

To understand why this should be the case, it may be useful to offer an overview of how the industry operates on a typical, day-to-day basis.

Most UK flour is produced in bulk and delivered either in tankers or in 16kg or 25kg bags to bakeries and other food manufacturers.

Only a small proportion – around 4% of the total flour milled is sold through shops and supermarkets.

Ordinarily consumers purchase about 3,000 tonnes of flour a week in the shops – equivalent to two million 1.5kg bags. On average, each of the 27.5 million households in the UK buys a bag of flour every 14 weeks.

However since the COVID-19 outbreak, and in response to the subsequent lock-down, both regular bulk buyers and consumers have been purchasing much more than normal. Inevitably, existing stocks have been quickly used up and many households have been unable to buy.

In response, UK millers have been working round the clock – genuinely milling flour 24-hours-day-seven-days-a-week to double the production of retail flour in an effort to meet demand. The equivalent of 3.5million to 4 million bags have been produced weekly by running packing lines at maximum capacity. However, production is limited by the capacity to pack small bags, so even this is only sufficient for 15% of households to buy a bag of flour per week. Supplies of commercial flour are typically delivered either in larger bags or tankers and are therefore not subject to the same limitations.

One option is for retailers and wholesalers to stock larger bags of flour, which might be suited to more regular home-bakers. This would require a change in shopping patterns, however.

Otherwise, it will be a question of time before the surge in demand reduces enough for this enhanced level of production to meet requirements and allow stock levels to be rebuilt.

UK retail sales of flour were up 145% in the week ending 15 March (Source: IRI retail trackers).

hedgehugger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:27 - 15 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have flour, but very little yeast. The last bread I made was ciabatta. Now I feel guilty because it uses more yeast than regular bread and I only have 1 go left. Saving that for an emergency, or until I can get more. Shops keep selling out before I get there, and I'm not paying those overinflated prices on Amazon.
Guess I could make soda bread.
I've made tortillas before, silly simple, but I still buy them, go figure!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:17 - 15 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeast grows. If you have a small amount of yeast, you can easily make that into a large amount of yeast by feeding it flour and sugar.

Then you can mix it with flour and freeze it.

Never tried but I know it can be done.

hedgehugger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:29 - 15 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never tried either but I have heard of a sourdough starter, where you use half for your bread and keep it fed at other times. Same thing I guess.

winz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:39 - 15 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, the people that bought out flat gave us a sourdough starter a couple of weeks ago. Made my first loaf last week.

Been splitting the starter in two, feeding one with flour and water, letting it get all bubbly then putting it in the fridge for another week before repeating. Then using the other half as a levain for the loaf.

almostthere
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:52 - 15 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made some naan bread wasn't bad better than the shop bought shite.

I've only got plain and self raising flour can I use that to make bread?

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:59 - 15 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sourdough starter is dead easy to make.
Just needs patience.
Flour, water, leave on windowsill.
Let it go a bit gooshy, its supposed to do that.

So, a cup of flour and about 3/4 a cup of water, mix it together really well till its all mixed in, so that its like a paste, sort of like peanut butter consistency. You can always add a little bit more water to get it like that.

Then cover it, maybe with clingfilm or some people say a damp teatowel, but whatevs.
Put it on a sunny windowsill. If you don't have a windowsill, no worries, just leave it in a quiet place on the bench at room temperature.

Somewhere between 24-36 hours it should start to go a bit gooshy.
Bubbles is what you want.
Yes madam, it does look a bit like jizz doesn't it, there's always a comedian.

So at that point, you chuck half out, and you mix in the same original amounts (1 cup flour, 3/4 a cup of water.

By Day 3 it should be bubbling well. Then you just "feed" it twice a day, chucking out half and putting back the same original amount.

About a week later, bosho.
Ready to use for making bread, and all you have to do is use half and feed it back up again.

You can keep them "alive" for ages.
Some people of a hippyish nature have been known name them.
But I suspect those are the kind of people who name their vehicles as well.

Edit: a helpful link

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:15 - 15 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If making bread is as easy as making rice crispy cakes, I'm in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:30 - 15 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

almostthere wrote:
Made some naan bread wasn't bad better than the shop bought shite.

I've only got plain and self raising flour can I use that to make bread?

In a word, yes. Especially the likes of Naan breads.

The self-raising is a bit wasted really if you are making leavened bread (with yeast).

I think, as hedgehugger suggests, one of the easiest ones to make is soda bread. No yeast or proving needed. Eat it hot out of the oven slathered in butter.

I have a kenwood major so bread making is a total piece of piss for me. It'll batter about 4 loaves worth of dough into submission with a dough hook. Takes me about 5 minutes to get it to the point of proving.

I do like to make a homemade pizza. Just stretch out normal white bread dough into a rough pizza shape, add your toppings then into the oven on maximum setting (I also put a bowl of water in the bottom to generate steam) for about 5 minutes. I have a pizza stone in the oven to cook them on but you can just do it on a tray.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:34 - 15 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve been saving my flour for when we can’t get bread. Last week was such a time so I did a couple of overnight loaves. Normal bread recipe but around 1/4 the yeast, proved overnight then folded and re-proved in the morning and baked. Great flavour and structure and it means I get a fresh loaf for lunch without having to get up early.

Those were with strong white flour. I have some wholemeal, malted, 00 and French flour stockpiled.

You can do bread with regular flour but it might be a bit crumbly. I do flatbreads with normal flour - mix it up with plain yoghurt, pinch of salt and a bit of baking powder to a workable dough, divide into small balls, roll flat and cook on both sides on a hot, dry pan or griddle.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:19 - 15 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always "start" my yeast in a glass of warm water with a spoon of sugar and flour mixed in then leave it on the windowsill above the radiator.

I wait until it's properly up and going, frothing up the water then use it to form part of the liquid in the dough mix. This means there's active yeast evenly mixed throughout. Alsomeans I could use a comparatively small amount.

hedgehugger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:23 - 15 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomorrow I shall try a sourdough starter then. My house is usually pretty cool/cold so may take a while.

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:00 - 16 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only bread I make is brown bread, also known in the UK

As soda bread.

No yeast required, however butter milk is as is whole meal self raising flour which I have about 1.5kg of .

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:53 - 16 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:

It's easier, dump the ingredients in the Panasonic, switch it on and in anywhere between an hour and three hours remove it. Voila.

At least it was a piece of piss until everyone got a hard on for baking their own and the flour become as hard to find as rocking horse shit. The sooner you lot get back to your Mother's Pride, Warburton's and Wonder Bread (so named because it's got so many chemicals it's a wonder they can call it bread!!), the sooner I can get back to my normal routine.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 08:30 - 16 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

kawakid wrote:
The only bread I make is brown bread, also known in the UK

As soda bread.

No yeast required, however butter milk is as is whole meal self raising flour which I have about 1.5kg of .

You can use soured milk instead of buttermilk. Just add a little white vinegar or lemon juice.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:16 - 16 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:

It's easier, dump the ingredients in the Panasonic, switch it on and in anywhere between an hour and three hours remove it. Voila.

I'm still of the variety that thinks Panasonic is telly and radiogram only Laughing
Panasonic what?
Breadmaker? Mixer?
Who'da thunk it.
The modern world, eh!?

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:03 - 16 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
recman wrote:

I got fed up with breadmakers. Machines making funny-shaped loaves with big holes in the bottom, that go wrong. I'd rather have a mixer, which is more versatile.

That said, the "Come on at X o'clock and do your stuff" feature is sometimes useful.

hedgehugger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:03 - 16 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

With our breadmaker we set a timer for ourselves to take the paddle out after the last knocking back, before the final rise and cook. No half loaf missing when you take it out then Smile

For ciabatta I use the Kmix, so much easier on the hands when a machine does the kneading for you.
Ciabatta starts with a similar method to the sourdough starter. Flour and water mix overnight. Has yeast as well, maybe it's a shortcut, rather than the sourdough starter? similar texture to the end result.

So today I found a use for the Sport's Direct mug on top of the cupboard. I've started a starter.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:34 - 16 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Focaccia is always nice, and delightfully messy to make. It's similar to making ciabatta dough, just with loads more oil to make a pretty sloppy dough. You use oil rather than flour on your board and hands during prep. Stretch it flat, add toppings (rosemary, black oilve, sundried tomato to name but a few) poke them in with your fingertips in and cook on a flat tray after proving.

I don't know how well it keeps, there is never any left.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:18 - 16 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm staying away from bread atm cos fat bastard & diet but I did have a go at making
some almond flour rolls as I had the ingredients.
Piece of piss to make even for a kitchen numpty like me.
No yeast, just baking powder and Psyllium husk as gluten alternative
Taste?
Cant compare it to proper wheaten bread of course but not bad
and it doesn't go off nearly as quickly as proper bread.
Aaand yes, it's expensive compared to wheat flour but I've bought the
bloody stuff now so may as well use it.

https://imgur.com/ZWJUB68.jpg

https://imgur.com/unztkEE.jpg

Cant wait to get down to me fighting weight and then its Mothers pride
sarnies all the way!!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:45 - 16 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soda bread for tonights tea.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=103359
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 11 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3