Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bandit 12 Clutch issue

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mr Hammers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:16 - 16 Apr 2020    Post subject: Bandit 12 Clutch issue Reply with quote

My lad's got himself a tidy little Bandit 12, but is having no luck sorting out a recurring problem with the clutch.

The problem is that he bleeds the clutch, everything is fine, biting point near the initial pull point, all works as it should. But after a short while, the biting point gets closer and closer to the bar, until eventually when in gear it starts creeping forward again.

He's changed the pipes/tubes/cables whatever they're called, he's changed the slave cylinder, and fitted a new master cylinder repair kit.

There are no leaks at the slave cylinder end, none on the cables...lines, that's what they're called, lines, but fluid is making its way out of the top of the master cylinder.

It's got to be something pretty simple, but we're both at a loss to what exactly is going on. My suggestion is that maybe the rubber membrane has a hole in it, and that he should try swapping the brake master cylinder one for it, and see if it still does it, which he's going to try next, or something to do with the little hole being too wide to fully seal..but i really don't know.

In the meantime, anyone have any insights?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:20 - 16 Apr 2020    Post subject: Re: Bandit 12 Clutch issue Reply with quote

Mr Hammers wrote:
My lad's got himself a tidy little Bandit 12, but is having no luck sorting out a recurring problem with the clutch.

The problem is that he bleeds the clutch, everything is fine, biting point near the initial pull point, all works as it should. But after a short while, the biting point gets closer and closer to the bar, until eventually when in gear it starts creeping forward again.

He's changed the pipes/tubes/cables whatever they're called, he's changed the slave cylinder, and fitted a new master cylinder repair kit.

There are no leaks at the slave cylinder end, none on the cables...lines, that's what they're called, lines, but fluid is making its way out of the top of the master cylinder.

It's got to be something pretty simple, but we're both at a loss to what exactly is going on. My suggestion is that maybe the rubber membrane has a hole in it, and that he should try swapping the brake master cylinder one for it, and see if it still does it, which he's going to try next, or something to do with the little hole being too wide to fully seal..but i really don't know.

In the meantime, anyone have any insights?

Leaking out of the master cylinder or ending up back in the master cylinder reservoir?

Mr Hammers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:39 - 16 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leaking out of, in that the cap is on, as normal, and it's leaking out of there. I imagine something is happening that is causing the pressure to build up on the wrong side of the system, but why i don't know.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:20 - 16 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picture?

Mr Hammers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:45 - 16 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure it'll help much, but..

https://www.planetash.net/bcf/leakymc.jpg

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:39 - 16 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that is wierd.

Mr Hammers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:15 - 16 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it? It's doing my bloody head in. He hasn't had chance to change the membrane (or try the brake MC on it as i've suggested) yet, but he had a quick look at it today, and it's back to normal. Confused

That's not to say it won't lose pressure and do the same thing after a few miles.

Would an oversize little hole somehow cause it? My old NSR had a blocked little hole, and the problem was the opposite, in that the pads just kept getting tighter on the disk.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 11:03 - 17 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you may have two issues.

1) master cylinder seals are knackered. This would explain why you have to keep pumping up the lever to action the clutch.

2)The top isnt sealed correctly, quite possibly the membrane has more than a hole in it.

Mr Hammers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:42 - 17 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

1) master cylinder seals are knackered. This would explain why you have to keep pumping up the lever to action the clutch.

2)The top isnt sealed correctly, quite possibly the membrane has more than a hole in it.

Giving it some thought, and a bit more research (like i now know that 'little hole' is called the 'compensation hole' and how it works) i've come to a similar conclusion. IMHO it's got to be the first seal.

What i think is happening is the clutch is pulled in, a small amount of fluid is getting past the first seal, into the spiral reservoir, and when the clutch is let out, that small amount stays in the spiral reservoir, or worse, forces the equivalent amount back into the main MC reservoir. Eventually more and more fluid is making it's way from the seal to the slave side, into the seal/main reservoir side.

It gets better overnight, as the pressure equalises between the sides, and fluid is drawn back into the seal/slave side of the system. The only difference in our thinking is that maybe the pressure from this is more than enough to break out of the rubber membrane..as it's not really designed to seal under that pressure, rather than there being just a hole. That said, the pressure may well have punctured the membrane as a result of the first seal not sealing 100%.

Would that make sense?

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:30 - 17 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Hammers wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Giving it some thought, and a bit more research (like i now know that 'little hole' is called the 'compensation hole' and how it works) i've come to a similar conclusion. IMHO it's got to be the first seal.

What i think is happening is the clutch is pulled in, a small amount of fluid is getting past the first seal, into the spiral reservoir, and when the clutch is let out, that small amount stays in the spiral reservoir, or worse, forces the equivalent amount back into the main MC reservoir. Eventually more and more fluid is making it's way from the seal to the slave side, into the seal/main reservoir side.

It gets better overnight, as the pressure equalises between the sides, and fluid is drawn back into the seal/slave side of the system. The only difference in our thinking is that maybe the pressure from this is more than enough to break out of the rubber membrane..as it's not really designed to seal under that pressure, rather than there being just a hole. That said, the pressure may well have punctured the membrane as a result of the first seal not sealing 100%.

Would that make sense?

Thumbs Up

Mr Hammers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:37 - 20 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so we're all agreed that that is probably what it is then. So, replacing the whole MC with another should cure the problem...shouldn't it?

Except, of course, it hasn't!

He's got himself another (used) clutch MC, fitted it, bled it, aaaand the same problem is still there.

I have NO idea what's going on. Maddening! Brick Wall

Mr Hammers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:51 - 24 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, an update on this as we're completely at a loss as to what the hell is going on.

So far, he's replaced: Master cylinder, brake fluid, banjo bolts, clutch line, slave cylinder, clutch springs, clutch plates and friction plates....

...and it's still doing it. There's nothing else to replace!? Confused

In desperation, he took it to a mechanic who spent all night on it, and still couldn't fix it. Gets up to pressure after being bled (been bled over 20x now) and as always, 5-10 miles later the pressure has gone again.

Hoping a Bandit 12 owner who has had this issue and fixed it sees this and can advise what it is..?

If not, anyone else have any ideas? Because i'm completely out.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:13 - 24 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps one or more of the master cylinder piston seals are installed backwards Neutral

Last edited by jeffyjeff on 17:38 - 24 May 2020; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:30 - 24 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get hold of a cable setup from a 600. Problem solved Wink

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:34 - 24 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look where the clutch is activated under sprocket cover, there's a little push rod in there actually works it by pushing plates apart, and they are prone to getting gunked up with chain lube and grit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:17 - 24 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pattern parts, Shenzhen specials from The Peoples Tractor Hydraulic Seal Manufacturing Co' ( we make other seals in our lunch break) Ltd.

£3.96 per set inc free postage from eBay, Wish, Wemoto, amazon, aliexpress, that bloke on facebook etc etc etc.

Mr Hammers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:17 - 24 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:
Perhaps one or more of the master cylinder piston seals are installed backwards Neutral

No, he's double/triple/very often checked that.

Evil Hans wrote:
Get hold of a cable setup from a 600. Problem solved

That might not be a bad idea, if it were relatively straightforward. Can't find much with a brief googling of t'internet, but someone must have done it at some point. But good suggestion, will look more into it.

doggone wrote:
Have a look where the clutch is activated under sprocket cover, there's a little push rod in there actually works it by pushing plates apart, and they are prone to getting gunked up with chain lube and grit.

Doggone, that pushrod, along with everything else on the bastard thing, has been in and out more often than...er..something that goes in and out a lot. It's exactly the right size too, as in no wear on it either.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:31 - 24 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it true to say that:

1) It can be bled and is OK before being used on the road.

2) While being used on the road, the bite point changes until the clutch won't properly disengage.
3) If left parked overnight, it's then back to normal before it's used again, then goes back to 2.

If so, does it need more fluid adding from time to time, or not?

I'm just double-checking the situation in my mind.

Mr Hammers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:47 - 24 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Answers supplied by my lad;

Quote:
1) It can be bled and is OK before being used on the road.

Yes the system can be bled with no air bubbles coming out of the bleed nipple during bleeding and there’s good pressure on the lever.

Quote:
2) While being used on the road, the bite point changes until the clutch won't properly disengage.

Yes this happens after a few miles, when re-bled straight after the ride it will happen much quicker or one is unable to even get it to disengage again.

Quote:
3) If left parked overnight, it's then back to normal before it's used again, then goes back to 2.

Yes, after letting it sit overnight the pressure returns on the lever

Quote:
If so, does it need more fluid adding from time to time, or not?

The fluid level seems to stay constant and haven’t had enough time riding it to tell if it drops after a while. No visible leaks around the slave or MC.

He also added;

the Garage Guy told me that he tried it yet again and looked at the travel of the slave cylinder piston after bleeding. Then let the bike warm up and actuated the lever a few times… The slave cylinder piston travel then decreased considerably. Obviously then not enough travel to disengage the clutch.

Not sure if that indicates something, and if it does, not sure what Smile

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:12 - 24 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Hammers wrote:
Not sure if that indicates something, and if it does, not sure what Smile

So the effect could be described as if pulling on the clutch lever isn't pushing fluid into the slave cylinder, or not enough fluid or pressure.

When it cools down/is given time, something goes back to normal.

Something to do with heat and expansion, or some pressurised/springy thing that moves not "returning" properly.

Hm, tricky. If you hear a ticking noise, it's my cog wheels turning.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:52 - 24 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick parts search looks like the piston and cup are a single piece. Either the cup is leaking, the piston is damaged, or the bore is cracked or scored. Fluid is leaking past the piston/cup assembly and you are not getting a consistent full stroke through to the slave cylinder. When the lever is released, fluid that leaked past the cup is being pumped back up to the reservoir. May be time to break down and purchase a new clutch master cylinder. Believe you said the first one you tried was used... that one may have been replaced for the same reason.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:09 - 25 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if it's the pushrods welded together. If the rods are turning with the engine then it might be generating enough heat in the slave piston to boil the oil.

Either way I would take a brake hose clamp with me next time and when this happens clamp off the hose. That will tell you if the problem is at the bar end or the slave end.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

carofmadness
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:47 - 25 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cost for me is not an issue, and the play in the Conrod bearing is horizontal but more than I would expect. The problem is when it got stolen it was partially stripped so the flywheel and engine case were left off for a long time and the taper on the crank has some corrosion and the keyway is damaged as in the key moves from side to side about 1.5mm I. The keyway.

Personally I think I would like to recon the crankshaft just for peace of mind as I do not see myself getting rid of the bike, so any suggestions on a good place to get this done. I will be at my garage later today to take pics

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:49 - 25 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

carofmadness wrote:
The cost for me is not an issue, and the play in the Conrod bearing is...

Perhaps sir would like to put that in the "Honda CG125 crankshaft" thread?

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=330568&highlight=

Smile

Mr Hammers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:04 - 01 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:
A quick parts search looks like the piston and cup are a single piece. Either the cup is leaking, the piston is damaged, or the bore is cracked or scored. Fluid is leaking past the piston/cup assembly and you are not getting a consistent full stroke through to the slave cylinder. When the lever is released, fluid that leaked past the cup is being pumped back up to the reservoir. May be time to break down and purchase a new clutch master cylinder. Believe you said the first one you tried was used... that one may have been replaced for the same reason.

Indeed, except he got yet another MC, and the same again. Worked fine initially, and then no pressure again.

Pete wrote:
I wonder if it's the pushrods welded together. If the rods are turning with the engine then it might be generating enough heat in the slave piston to boil the oil.

No, the pushrod comes out easily, and since so does the second pushrod. Both in good condition, and the right spec.

Quote:
Either way I would take a brake hose clamp with me next time and when this happens clamp off the hose. That will tell you if the problem is at the bar end or the slave end.

He connected the clutch line to the brake MC on my suggestion, and it seemed to work fine. But then again, iirc, it did the same again.

The latest update is this;

He discovered that 2 of the steel plates are thicker, and that one of the friction plates has a bigger ID than the others. He can't get it apart atm to check to see where the larger ID friction plate is, but the 2 thicker steel plates are definitely in the wrong position.

Not sure how the placement of the two thicker plates makes a difference (other than i guess it gets hotter in the middle of the plates) but if the friction plate isn't the first one on, it could be (and this is my theory at the moment) that it isn't going over the spring and spring plate that sits at the bottom of the basket.

I think maybe the friction plate is interfering with the spring and washer, and rather than be allowed to turn freely, or at least at the same speed as the steel plates, and is causing heat build up thereby causing the plates to get too hot and stop working properly.

Unfortunately, one screw holding the basket together is refusing to come out and so he can't check the location of the bigger ID friction plate, but i'll update when he can.

Here's the layout of the plates in a somewhat confusing page of the manual...

https://www.planetash.net/bcf/banditclutch/order.jpg

Here's the screw that's stopping him getting it all apart to check...
https://www.planetash.net/bcf/banditclutch/screw.jpg

And here's the basket with the two thicker plates at the end, rather than in the middle...

https://www.planetash.net/bcf/banditclutch/plates1.jpg

Our thinking is that after many tests everything on the hydraulic side seems to work as it should do, so now we're looking at the mechanical side that is causing the hydraulic side to have issues.

Incidentally, the original clutch had three clutch springs in (the diaphragm type) which apparently is a common hack to fix clutch slippage on the 1200.

Cheers for all the suggestions, much appreciated.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 322 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2