Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Learning to drive after learning motorcycle first?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

BananaLover
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:03 - 20 Apr 2020    Post subject: Learning to drive after learning motorcycle first? Reply with quote

Hey, I've been riding a bike for 4 years and I'm yet to drive a car for the first time. I was planning on getting some lessons to kick it off before the quarantine started and was scared to see that the average driver takes 25-30 lessons to pass. Curios are there any riders who learned to drive after they had their bike for a while? I imagine the road awareness alone should make it a lot less than a brand new driver.

Anybody got some numbers of how many lessons they had or expect someone like me to need?

Thanks

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:05 - 20 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn’t find 8 years of riding a bike much help. Driving a car is much more difficult.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:30 - 20 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I passed my bike test a few months before I passed my car test
I’ve been riding bikes in one form or another for years.

Car driving is about control of the vehicle and situational/road awareness., sounds abit like using a bike Thumbs Up

They are two different things with some similarities if that makes sense..

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:37 - 20 Apr 2020    Post subject: Re: Learning to drive after learning motorcycle first? Reply with quote

BananaLover wrote:
Curios are there any riders who learned to drive after they had their bike for a while? I imagine the road awareness alone should make it a lot less than a brand new driver.

Anybody got some numbers of how many lessons they had or expect someone like me to need?

I had a bike as my sole means of transport for 20 years. I did not like driving a car, you had to let go of things to do things. It also felt "tippy". Yes, I know. I took my car test after 26 lessons. I did 26 lessons because I got a very good deal indeed, and I did not want to fail. After the first half, 13 lessons, I was ready, but took the rest anyway, and was just driving around with the instructor thinking about which pub to go to (he would occasionally say "Oi!" and instruct me if I did anything the examiner would not like).

The only thing you can do is to try it and see how it goes. When you are properly confident, and your instructer is properly confident, then go for it.

Driving instructors are graded on their ability. You want one with good teaching ability (A) if possible. You should be able to get a "taster" lesson to see if you get on.

I would be inclined to have 1 1/2 hour lessons. or even 2-hour ones, rather than one hour ones, and do two a week if possible.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 20:48 - 20 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forced wrote:
Didn’t find 8 years of riding a bike much help. Driving a car is much more difficult.

https://media.giphy.com/media/3oz8xLd9DJq2l2VFtu/giphy.gif

I learned to drive a car first. The finer aspects of machine control are harder on a bike, and less intuitive. A car you point it, it goes. A bike needs countersteering, balance, bodyweight shifting, relaxation stuff like that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Claud 14.7 to 1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:37 - 20 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both car and bike licences and I think riding is far more "difficult", mainly because there is so much more to think about in terms of safely, concentration and technique.

Parking on a 'bike is a lot easier though Smile .

I would say, get a few driving lessons under your belt with your instructor and then get out as much as possible with a friend or family member, i.e.:

https://www.gov.uk/driving-lessons-learning-to-drive/practising-with-family-or-friends

I did some lessons and hammered the private practice, often on weekends or holidays when it was not so busy on the roads.

I would definitely do some lessons with an instructor first (5 -10 maybe, depending on your progress) as he/she has the dual controls to catch the beginner errors and until you get good at the controls. I think I remember we practiced emergency stops after the 2nd lesson or so (so quite early on).

I think coming from a biking background probably is an advantage (I did the car licence first then the bike soon afterwards so it was more about controlling the machine and paying attention to road conditions, rather than learning all the road rules and traffic behaviour etc.).

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:49 - 20 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claud 14.7 to 1 wrote:
I would definitely do some lessons with an instructor first (5 -10 maybe, depending on your progress) as he/she has the dual controls to catch the beginner errors and until you get good at the controls. I think I remember we practiced emergency stops after the 2nd lesson or so (so quite early on)

One very good reason to take lessons from an instructor is that they know what's expected, and can "teach to the test", e.g. the required manoeuvres, the likely test route, how to make exaggerated observations so that the instructor can see you are looking, that sort of thing. So, whatever, while it's all good experience, I'd take some lessons before the test, even if I took no others!

kolu
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:04 - 20 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done car at the same time as bike (A2) with some experience of car driving beforehand. My father told me that I'm not going into the driving school before I know how to drive so we did dirt roads around a village many times - basic clutch controls, gear changes and steering, even reversing with a trailer through turns. I've done like 13 lessons with instructor, he was a calm old due, very reasonable, and then the test on first attempt, no problem although there were like 16 lessons mandatory. No idea how hard is that in the UK though.

All in all, I think driving a car is far easier than riding a bike.

PS: don't forget you're not allowed to filter Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:14 - 20 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once I'd got round the mechanics of it, the main issues I had were doing things that would be considered too "advanced" for a learner driver like short-shifting on loose surfaces and taking motorcycle lines through corners for visability.

Got constantly whinged at for doing lifesavers too, we had "words" about that.

I found they weren't seeing me looking in the mirrors so I set them off a bit so I had to move my head to see in them. They don't expect learners to be catching them in peripheral vision and on the motorbike test, you always back it up with a head check anyway.

I found it much more formulaic. In that you are expected to be in this gear for this corner where I'm barely aware of what gear I'm in most of the time on the bike.

A lot of experienced motorbike riders have trouble with the hazard perception test, they over-click. You need to remember it's a "developing hazard" not a "potential hazard". The advice I was given was three clicks for every hazard. One when you spot it (kids playing with a ball on the pavement). One when it is an obvious hazard (ball bounces out into the road, kid following it) and a third when the video car starts to react.

My instructors car was fucked. The gearbox had very little gating left on it, a total nightmare to select a specific gear without grabbing the lever firmly and putting it there (I have always eased the lever through the selectors, letting the gating and springs find the gear for me ) and the clutch was notchy as hell with the dual control. I complained about it and he said to try a lesson in my own car. Did the next lesson in my own car and he said I should just do my test.

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:24 - 20 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was riding for about 5 years before taking my first driving lesson. I had driven a diesel forklift in a yard for about a year when I was 18 so was at least familiar with the pedals but I had never worked a normal gear lever.

On my first lesson I found the hardest bit was keeping the nearside wheels a reasonable distance from the kerb edge, I was trying to keep away from it. The instructor would keep telling me to move to the left on my first lesson. I should mention it was the morning after the great storm of 1987, the roads were covered in bits of tree, general rubbish and all the traffic lights seemed to have lost power. I had also been up all night before making sure my bike didn't blow over.

Apart from that, due to 40 or 50,000 miles of bike riding I was fine with the rules of the road and road signs, so only had to worry about controlling a car and the mysteries of reversing round a corner and hill starts which was my big worry on the test. I also kept getting told off for doing lifesavers before turning into side roads. I still do them in a car, they have blind spots and I think it should be part of the car driving test.

My instructor didn't teach emergency stops until the very lesson before my test. As it happens someone ran out in front of me on my test and I had to stop so didn't do it formally later on.

After I finished and got told I'd passed, the examiner asked if I had been using the roads on another type of vehicle and when I mentioned the bike he said they can usually tell.

I am not a natural car driver, I prefer 2 wheels as I find it easier to do without thinking and that I can see more around me than in a tin box. Nice in the pissing rain though.

martin734
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:30 - 20 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a bike licence before I could drive a car. I passed my bike test at 17 before they changed the rules the first time and brought in restricted licences and Direct Access. I then moved to Israel and learned to drive there and I had to take my driving test again when I returned to the UK. I think being a motorcyclist first certainly helped. I was much more aware of what was going on around me when driving, much more observant and much more aware of how things like the weather, the road conditions and my position on the road can affect my driving.

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:53 - 20 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was riding 3 years before I got the car license.

It will help a lot just for road sense. Also got told off too for doing life savers all the time... which I still automatically do in the car...

I'd say you will need less lessons than most, but the parallel parking, reversing around a corner etc is very much its own thing.

And im still pretty shit a parallel parking in the car Laughing

Bike for me is completely natural feeling and easier.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:07 - 21 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The number of lessons required is also highly dependant on age. Old gits will take longer than kids... empty heads are easier for the instructor Wink

But yes, you have an advantage: you know all the roads signs and line markings, priorities at roundabouts, etc. so you can skip all that. You only have to figure out the clutch and the gear stick. Same side of the brain does the work though - as on the bike Smile

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 08:46 - 21 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that you have road and traffic awareness from riding the bike and know how it all works is a plus - so you should be able to concentrate on the mechanics of driving the car and won't be putting a lot of extra mental resources into thinking about how to negotiate a roundabout etc.

I had the reverse experience - I had driven cars and large vans for a few years before I got into bikes - so when I got on the bike it was simply a case of getting used to controlling the bike rather than learning the rules of the road - although obviously there were certain rules regarding positioning, filtering and life savers etc which I had to learn.

I've ridden bikes exclusively for the last 22 years - until recently when I had to drive a medium sized car - the thing I found weirdest was having to re-adjust to the cars larger size and remember that I had so many extra feet of metal and glass around me!

One plus of being a car driver and bike rider is that you know how 'the other side' perceives or more importantly does not perceive you! You understand how invisible you can seem to a lot of car drivers - also when you are in a car you spend that extra time looking out for bikes when negotiating junctions, swapping lanes etc.

In conclusion I am 100% motorcyclist these days Mr. Green - I'll only ever drive a car when I have to carry people or stuff somewhere.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:05 - 21 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Driving a car is much more difficult.

It so is not
It's much easier.

I agree with Marjay : with cars you can just point and go.
You just need to have the extra awareness of more vulnerable road users.

Sure, to drive a car effectively you can make yourself aware of a host of interesting factors, gears and engine performance etc etc but any fool can learn to drive a car. They even have automatic licences where you never need to learn the finer points of gear changing. It literally is just start up, point and go.

I do think it should be statutory that if you want to learn to drive a car, you should have at least six months on some form of motorcycle*.

*I was going to put "motorised 2-wheel vehicle" but then realised that would include e-scooters I never thought I would hate anyone more than those dickheads who ride the BMWs with the roof, but in e-scooter riders, I have found a new genre of smug wankers.

TheIncredible...
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 09:12 - 21 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
I do think it should be statutory that if you want to learn to drive a car, you should have at least six months on some form of motorcycle*

This ^^^^^ 100% Thumbs Up

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:44 - 21 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a bike, lane selection for junctions is easier, because you can filter and accelerate into gaps. In a car, if you need to change lanes, especially to a lane to your left, the observations are a bit harder.

It takes a bit of time to get used to the width of the car, to develop "whisker sense" for getting close to stuff, especially on the left side.

Parallel parking or reversing around a corner takes a bit of practice.

That's about it for car being harder than bike. Cars are otherwise easier, because you generally just follow the car in front, don't overtake much, etc.

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:49 - 21 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to resist the urge to filter when you are driving the car Mr. Green

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:30 - 21 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I passed my bike test in 1976. I passed my car test in 2007 and I only took it because wifie passed her bike test and had both. I hate her having anything up on me. Embarassed

I did an intense driving course over 4 days with the test at the end. 6 hours driving a day.

At the end of the first day the lady who was teaching me told me that other than ironing out a few bad habits, like using the door mirrors and not the centre one and easy ways to parallel park etc, I would have easily passed with one days (6 hours) instructions as she didn't have to teach me how to physically drive or any roadcraft as I already knew it. I didn't have any issues changing from bike to car either.

I passed with one minor at the end of the course so I would say that you will find it way easier after riding a bike and would suggest booking a trial lesson and seeing what the instructor thinks would be required.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:39 - 21 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tdibs wrote:
Also got told off too for doing life savers all the time... which I still automatically do in the car...

I'd been driving 3 or 4 years before I got my first bike - donkeys' years ago - but I do that in the car too (I mean, why wouldn't you?) and I taught my (non-biking) kids to do so when learning to drive too, when appropriate. I don't remember hearing any issues from driving instructors about it (though there were certainly others!) and I'm pleased to see they still do it, years after passing their tests.

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:06 - 21 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant remember how many lessons i had but i had more than needed as i wernt to confident on taking the test even when my instructor said i was ready

I passed my motorbike test in 2001 and passed my car test in 2014

only did the car test cos was worried it may getting even harder so best to just get it out the way.
can say my spatial awareness is terrible in the car and i hate driving as i feel so restricted
but my spatial awareness on bike is almost Godmode, filter through gaps as if the gaps were not even there.

to be honest i was surprised i passed my car test first time Shocked

i havent driven a car since 2014 its gonna be a challenge when i eventually do drive again so i might have a few driving lessons before i start driving again.

i cant park for shit now though

but put me on a motorbike and im right at home as bikes feel like they are a part of my body whereas cars just feel alien!

Boxing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:59 - 21 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rode motorbikes for three years before I did my driving test.

Driving is a walk in the park compared to bikes. Just learn the width of the car and you're good to go.

I did my theory before my first lesson and booked my test after my first lesson. Thumbs Up I passed with one minor mistake. I can't remember how many lessons I had, but I had to change my driving instructor about three weeks before my test. The first one was on his phone all of my lessons and taught me minimum. Second one fixed all the errors of the first one and got me to pass first time. He was more excited than me when I passed. Laughing

Both examiners were through BSM as well, so £25.00+ per hour. For mediocre training. Rolling Eyes Second one was professional though, I couldn't fault any of his training.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:09 - 21 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

I do think it should be statutory that if you want to learn to drive a car, you should have at least six months on some form motorcycle..

Agree 100% however sadly it’s not going to happen Crying or Very sad .

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:41 - 21 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Passed my bike (Just CBT+Test back then) in Oct 95, didn't do car until over a year later, which was a non-event as anything I could afford (Ford Orion) was just shit compared to almost any bike, let alone a ZZR1100. Just make sure you remember it's wider, and practice reversing around a corner (If they still do that).
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 362 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2