Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

So...what book are you reading at the moment?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:24 - 23 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blurredman wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

One of my favourites. I kind of wish he'd quit with the spooky stuff though...

I myself quite like his 80's to mid 90's period spooky stuff. It is my opinion that I enjoy this time more than when his other books came out. When his writing got sleaker, and he was become so very popular and indeed with the publicity of being outted he himself became popular and prolific from that.

As someone who has read his early and very long 1000 page books. I can say with certainty that I think his style has got better, and that his ideas, whilst maybe not original are at least not as obvious that he had influence from other books/people.

I just think that the genre is not what I enjoy most about S.K.'s writing. I don't read horror from any other authors, particularly.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:41 - 23 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd recommend any of Edward Rutherford's books (Sarum, London, Russka, New York, etc.)

He sets each novel about a place at the beginning of its history. For example London starts with Ceasers invasion in 54BC, and works its way all the way up to the Blitz and the present day. The characters are from the same families through the generations, and they are intertwined with major historical events.

New York starts with New Amsterdam. Why they changed it I can't say, people just liked it better that way.. Dance!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer

PostPosted: 18:10 - 30 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just read a book called Marked For Death by Tony Kent - at last, an author who doesn't feel he needs to round it off with a mushy / cheesy / Americanised finish. Thumbs Up

I now need the charity shops to re-open so I can find his first book, since this was the second.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:29 - 30 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clanger wrote:
- at last, an author who doesn't feel he needs to round it off with a mushy / cheesy / Americanised finish.

I did that once, I wrote a full novel, back before I lost my writing mojo ... it was a bit soppy, I was very young and overly romanticised it ... but I've lost it now - it was on a 3.5 floppy ... it ended with the (apparent) hero of the piece (an undercover cop) being murdered, shot mafia-stylee in front of his new bride.

Luckily there was a conveniently handsome and stylish anti-hero to hold the heroine's hand as she wept over her dead husband.

I gave it to a friend to read, and she came back and handed it to me with a sad little face, and said "Oh Jenny, what an awful ending, you need to change that."

But I've lost the draft now *sigh*

I wrote most of it on my kitchen table, accompanied to the Rolling Stones Greatest Hits. Every time I hear Gimme Shelter, it reminds me of that novel. Bloody wish I could find it again Rolling Eyes

Clanger
Stirrer

PostPosted: 18:50 - 30 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Wrote something decent... it was on a 3.5 floppy...

The Oh Noes of not keeping an additional copy 'elsewhere' in another format... Shocked

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:19 - 30 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

We Are Legion (We are Bob)

Re-reading the 1st of the Bobiverse trilogy by Dennis E. Taylor

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:25 - 30 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clanger wrote:
I have just read a book called Marked For Death by Tony Kent - at last, an author who doesn't feel he needs to round it off with a mushy / cheesy / Americanised finish. Thumbs Up

I now need the charity shops to re-open so I can find his first book, since this was the second.

Power Play and Killer Intent are on Amazon

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:39 - 05 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just got down "The Prince" (Niccolo Machiavelli) to read; it's been sat up there for WAY TOO LONG and because it is reasonably short, I figured I could do it justice in what's left of the lockdown - seeing as how I have achieved fuck all else Rolling Eyes

I have a long list of classics I haven't yet crossed off Shocked

spottedtango
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:18 - 05 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve recently started reading Aldous Huxley’s Island. I’m actually quite enjoying it.

It’s about a journalist on a fictional island called pala where eastern and western philosophy meet. It’s quite thought provoking at times.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:48 - 06 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that wass a short sweet interlude.

I started the Prince, got to page 4 and then someone phoned me and asked me to edit a book about food supplements. Its much less engaging.

But slightly more lucrative.

Omega
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 04:57 - 07 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nowhere Man, part of the Orphan X series. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes Andy McNab or Chris Ryan type books.

Basically, Orphan X is your typical black ops type character who has "gone rogue" using his skills to help people in need. Easy reading.

Clanger
Stirrer

PostPosted: 22:09 - 16 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just finished The Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson - an international best seller by all accounts.

This started off as a really good adventure and great read, but it started getting bogged down in too much irrelevant detail...and then didn't finish where it should have finished. So I stopped reading it at the point I felt the story ended.

The sad thing about this book is, that the initial pages started falling out, each time I got further through the book more pages fell out. Which was rather distracting too. They need gluing back in, which I cannot d Rolling Eyes o.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:41 - 15 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been back to mostly military history stuff lately, currently close to finishing one on fast jets in Vietnam.
But my mind has also been on mountains again lately. I think I'm trying to figure out a way to go and die on one - since if I try anything ambitious, that is undoubtedly what I will do Laughing
So, browsing t'net I stumbled on a blog site by one Mark Horrell. I've read a few of his his free E books and enjoyed them. Here's a mountain man after my own heart! For him I think it has always been more about enjoying his time among such spectacular regions of the Earth, rather than climbing, or anything so dodgy Laughing

A taster from his website:

https://www.markhorrell.com/blog/2020/why-im-not-a-big-fan-of-rock-climbing/

Are you taking note, ThunderGuts & mentalboy? Laughing

And then I saw he had a book up that I hadn't read, so sacrificed a couple of kilos of rice for the month, and will be launching into it shortly:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B014RGVXAS/?tag=markhorr-21
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:54 - 16 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too Much and Never Enough by Mary L Trump

Just started it. Its not often i buy a book like this but given her qualification and experience i think its worth a read.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:11 - 17 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Keep - F. Paul Wilson

Watched the film several times- really enjoying the book!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:29 - 19 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Class Power on Zero Hours

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:30 - 19 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clanger wrote:

The sad thing about this book is, that the initial pages started falling out, each time I got further through the book more pages fell out. Which was rather distracting too. They need gluing back in, which I cannot d Rolling Eyes o.

It's a bind. Crying or Very sad

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:48 - 19 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blurredman wrote:

lucky you.

I read the book as a teen, loved it.

Then saw the film as an adult, it sucked.

Well, it sucked in comparison to the book.

Enjoy.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:13 - 06 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turns out the Spambot did it.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:26 - 07 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
Blurredman wrote:

lucky you.

I read the book as a teen, loved it.

Then saw the film as an adult, it sucked.

Well, it sucked in comparison to the book.

Enjoy.

I have seen the film 3 times. I kinda like it.. I enjoyed the book- I really thought the interactions between the Professor and the 'Evil one' were so engrosing.

As for the book I am reading now, 'A Brother's Tale'. Apparently once a mini -tv series int he 80's featuring Trevor Eve, but I can't find any info about it anywhere.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:31 - 07 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hardback
Cat Detective, solving the mystery of your cat's behaviour
Always worth a look into the reasoning behind cat headfuckery

Kindle
The Flogger Fetish, understanding the pleasure of pain
yeah yeah

Audible
My Dad the Spy - Stewart Copeland
Yes, that Stewart Copeland

I haven't got a novel going on at the moment. The last one I read was a re-read, The Hangman's Daughter by Oliver Potsch.
Very good series about a medieval hangman in Germany.

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:37 - 07 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MArtian - the book of the film with Matt Damon in it.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:43 - 07 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

panrider_uk wrote:

I thought the movie was pretty good. Some people panned it for various reasons, but what were they expecting, someone to actually go to Mars and film a documentary? There's a reason it's called science fiction Laughing

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:39 - 07 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
panrider_uk wrote:

I thought the movie was pretty good. Some people panned it for various reasons, but what were they expecting, someone to actually go to Mars and film a documentary? There's a reason it's called science fiction Laughing

It was a good film up to the point of the snipped glove finger as propulsion system - that was pure comedy. Laughing I'd still watch it again though Smile

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:36 - 07 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

It was a good film up to the point of the snipped glove finger as propulsion system - that was pure comedy. Laughing I'd still watch it again though Smile

Yeah, that bit was pretty daft. But hey, it's Hollywood, not NASA.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 160 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7