Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

If they extend the lockdown

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

gbrand42
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 20:37 - 29 Apr 2020    Post subject: If they extend the lockdown Reply with quote

I'm sitting here tonight pondering how I will feel if the UK lockdown is extended past the next review date of 7th May.

I have fully embraced the instructions to date, in fact I have probably over-done it a bit. I have been out of my house on 3 occasions for shopping (in the car) since the lockdown started on 23rd March. To be perfectly honest I am now getting to the stage that if it is extended I may just start recreational biking again. I am quite surprised that I feel this way because I have fully supported the reasons for the lockdown to this point, but now feel that I have done my bit and won't feel bad about getting out for some me time. This change of opinion to be honest shocks me a bit and I wonder if the enforced shut-in has changed my mental state. It almost seems like I am not as affected by the daily death rates as I once was.

Anyone else feel the same way?
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:28 - 29 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think he would be selfish for that you need to look outside as a lot of people have ignored it for day 1, even harder now we are at day 30 odd.

I’d love to go out on my bike but I think that’s a bit extreme, I’ll tick to daily exercise and trips to the shops, oh and visits to elderly family.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:45 - 29 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

- wrote:
Hopefully very few will be as selfish as you

The spread, and the effects, of this virus were as real before lock-down as they are today -- or have been since that first Monday when lock-down was announced via daily briefings.

Can you honestly say you stayed indoors, followed the current guidelines and exercised social distancing from the moment the virus was visualised on our screens as it unfolded in China?

Seems a bit rich to call someone selfish for asking for peoples opinions when plenty are doing what he proposes already, and have been since lock-down was announced.

- wrote:
we’ll be put on a proper lockdown.

You say that like its a bad thing. I'd take the angle that the governments failure to act in a more sever manor sooner has aided towards the spread.

~

To answer the O.P:

The phrase "exit plan" is being used, but from what I understand the government doesn't yet have one. IMO they'll keep extending the "lock-down" until they see fit. They talk of this curve and peak but the numbers that are released daily didn't include care home deaths until today; and from further information I read cases of death are being diagnosed as coronavirus without tests even having been performed.

The whole thing is a shambles, and I wouldn't expect anyone to take this government serious; but would say that limiting the chances of contact with others, and therefore contracting cornavirus, is a sensible path to follow for your own best interests.

I'd take the bike out for local trips, but wouldn't venture too far. Stopping bikes is an easy target because their less essential than cars for shopping trips but I've not had any bother despite riding alongside, or near, multiple cops.

If a fine or an insurance company failing to send recovery in the event of a breakdown (not confirmed, but just to put it out there) doesn't shock you then why not? Spannering yourself would put unneeded stress on ambulance crews but there are far wider trivial matters occurring at the moment that are higher on the debating scale.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:09 - 29 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've been out every day, walking my dog, keeping more than the required distance.
Been on five or six shopping trips in the motor and a couple of medicine runs on the bike plus I've had to take my daughter for blood tests.
I stay in if I have no real reason to go out, I certainty wouldn't add to the population who 'absolutely' have to go for a bloody jog. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:18 - 29 Apr 2020    Post subject: Re: If they extend the lockdown Reply with quote

gbrand42 wrote:
I have fully supported the reasons for the lockdown to this point, but now feel that I have done my bit and won't feel bad about getting out for some me time.

Unfortunately, the problem has not gone away, and we are still at a stage where there are a lot of unknown factors.

It might be worth taking a look at what other countries which have a lot of Covid19, AND are ahead in terms of hopefully peak cases, are doing. This a quick summary from various news sources:

France: Some relaxation of lockdown in some areas planned after May 11th IF cases have not increased. Pre-school and primary school children may go to school on a voluntary basis, max class size 15. Decisions on others end of May. Some shops (not cafes, bars, restaurants, not shopping centres), most public transport will restart. Continuing travel restrictions, restrictions on social group sizes.

Italy: bookshops, stationers, children’s clothes shops to reopen May 4th. Forestry work to restart. Parks, factories and building sites will reopen with precautions. Some visiting of relatives allowed. Funerals resume (max 15 mourners). Individual athletes resume training, some sports OK. Takeaways, not just home deliveries OK from 4 May, but must be consumed at home or work. Hairdressers, beauty salons, bars and restaurants from 1 June if all goes well. Shops not already open to reopen on 18 May, also museums and libraries, Team sports training from 18 May

Spain: Some lifting of lockdown, again in some areas (not big towns). Some bars and eateries with outside facilities allowed to open 30% of their outdoor tables, hotels permitted to offer 30% of their rooms, cinemas and theatres open at 30% capacity. No schools until September. Travel restrictions. 4 2-week stages in lifting lockdowm, IF all goes well.

Not much else, really. Those governments say that it cases rise, they will return to previous restrictions.

It's worth noting that in Germany, cases may be on the rise again after they lifted some of their restrictions.

We're due another lockdown review on May the 7th. I'd be very surprised if there was a big change. Maybe some shops will open and work restrictions be lifted, possibly hand in hand with some sort of safeguards. Hard to say. Maybe they'll say "Next review in a week", or a fortnight. Don't forget we'll probably have another 30,000 coronavirus cases by then, and another 3,500 to 4,000 deaths too.

We'll just have to wait and see.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:29 - 29 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

When they relax the rules, I'll be battening down the hatches for at least 2 more weeks, maybe a month. I've been using the bike for the occasional blat when I need to attend sites but I've gone without a bike in the past, and can cope with not riding one for a lot longer than a couple of months.

Sit on my arse? I've been training all my life for this.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:44 - 29 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've said before, they either have to lift something to keep people on board with what they are trying to do, or send in the army and become draconian because this way is not going to keep working.

People are going to work, going to the supermarket, jogging, out for walks. Now down B&Q and Greggs. It's not lock down, it's a joke.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:16 - 29 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go out every day. Where I go depends on where has fewest people. I try to only go to the small shops. I wash my hands everytime I come in, alcohol gel after using self service and I wear a mask anytime other are near me. It's reasonable precautions but I also don't like in London.

The only change I think we need is an end to queues at shops. I'm not willing to do it, it's just too much time in close proximity. Expand click and collect or something.

gbrand42 wrote:
I'm sitting here tonight pondering how I will feel if the UK lockdown is extended past the next review date of 7th May.

I have fully embraced the instructions to date, in fact I have probably over-done it a bit. I have been out of my house on 3 occasions for shopping (in the car) since the lockdown started on 23rd March. To be perfectly honest I am now getting to the stage that if it is extended I may just start recreational biking again. I am quite surprised that I feel this way because I have fully supported the reasons for the lockdown to this point, but now feel that I have done my bit and won't feel bad about getting out for some me time. This change of opinion to be honest shocks me a bit and I wonder if the enforced shut-in has changed my mental state. It almost seems like I am not as affected by the daily death rates as I once was.

You are taking it too far. The lockdown isn't a total lockdown, it's just a case of avoiding sustained periods of moderately close contact between people. So that means keep people out of offices, parties, offices, restaurants and so on. Biking has nothing to do with coronavirus transmission, just don't go near other people thats all. If you mean biking on a motorbike then it's a total non-issue, nobody is going to catch coronavirus driving a motorbike.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:23 - 29 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
If you mean biking on a motorbike then it's a total non-issue, nobody is going to catch coronavirus driving a motorbike.

I agree, but if people see you enjoying yourself they will phone the police or out you on facebook as a murderous virus denier.

Think of those poor nurses who will have to give up looking after the walking dead and stroke your tortured brow if you stack your bike while out on a jolly. Laughing

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:25 - 30 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

I agree, but if people see you enjoying yourself

This does seem to be the basis for an awful lot of social media, and radio phone in griping. People obeying all the rules, but being seen to appear happy whilst outside.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:25 - 30 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm used to it now.

It doesn't feel healthy at all, my arse is almost permanently sat on the same chair from morning until night, I've visibly gained a band of fat around my waist where there wasn't one before, and I wake up horrifically drowsy which is probably a result of how much I'm staring at a computer screen and not doing much else.

I've also started smoking again Laughing just to give myself an excuse to go out and stand on my balcony in the sun every hour or so.

If the lockdown continues, my health will get worse... But I don't mind really. I used to it now, and it won't be forever.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:30 - 30 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

- wrote:
apparently millenials in the U.K. are too special.

Oh look, another randomly selected "group to hate".

What a massive a surprise!

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:04 - 30 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Im-a-Ridah wrote:
If you mean biking on a motorbike then it's a total non-issue, nobody is going to catch coronavirus driving a motorbike.

I agree, but if people see you enjoying yourself they will phone the police or out you on facebook as a murderous virus denier.

Think of those poor nurses who will have to give up looking after the walking dead and stroke your tortured brow if you stack your bike while out on a jolly. Laughing

I don't use Facebook Laughing

Police won't do anything. Just be polite and friendly, most people they stop usually aren't, so you'll be on your way again pretty quickly. I've seen loads of police while I've been out and none said anything.

Lord Percy wrote:
I'm used to it now.

It doesn't feel healthy at all, my arse is almost permanently sat on the same chair from morning until night, I've visibly gained a band of fat around my waist where there wasn't one before, and I wake up horrifically drowsy which is probably a result of how much I'm staring at a computer screen and not doing much else.

I've also started smoking again Laughing just to give myself an excuse to go out and stand on my balcony in the sun every hour or so.

If the lockdown continues, my health will get worse... But I don't mind really. I used to it now, and it won't be forever.

Just go an do some exercise every day. If you do ever catch covid lack of exercise will be what gets you. There's a reason Prince Charles had mild symptoms and Boris went to ICU, and it's not because Charles is actually an alien Lizard from Mars though that may be factor.

Or go shopping, but buy one item at a time and walk there and back.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:02 - 30 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:

If the lockdown continues, my health will get worse...

I'm the exact opposite. I've been in a kind of lockdown for something like two years now, and my health and fitness has improved no end Smile
If you're willing to just sit and do nothing then you'll suffer for it. But you don't have to. I have no proper gym equipment, but I'm working out more than I ever have in my life. Boredom has driven me to it, and now I enjoy doing it - am becoming somewhat obsessed in fact, as I see the gains I am making.

I've always turned to new things as I find myself restricted for various reasons, injury and/or financial restrictions. I guess different people respond to things in different ways though. But it is possible to turn adversity into an advantage, even if it doesn't solve the problems you have. But if you try, it might.

Still smoking though Rolling Eyes
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:26 - 30 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

- wrote:

Other countries can manage to sit on their arse watching Netflix, apparently millenials in the U.K. are too special.

It's really not though. I do the length and breadth of Wiltshire 2-3 times a week. By far the largest group of dithering fucking morons I see bunching up in and around town/village centres have grey hair. Guesstimate..... aged 50's - 60's.

Arguing like cunts with young shop staff about distancing? Again seems to be mostly aged 50's - 60's.

Driving like absolute bellends? Again seems to be mostly aged 50's - 60's.

From what I see, if you insist on identifying a problem generation, it's not the young ones it's people in the 50's - 60's they seem to have a massive chip on their shoulder while thinking the world revolves round them.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:36 - 30 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:

From what I see, if you insist on identifying a problem generation, it's not the young ones it's people in the 50's - 60's they seem to have a massive chip on their shoulder while thinking the world revolves round them.

I don't see any particular age group as being like that. I see people who frequent social media, of all ages, like that though. It's a medium that seems to have been irreparably poisoned by the loud, the opinionated, the subversive, and the just downright loony. The worst thing about it perhaps is that it slowly seems to be spreading into real life. Sad times. Glad I had a shot at life before it became the thing, it must be awful for those who think of it as normal.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:52 - 30 Apr 2020    Post subject: Re: If they extend the lockdown Reply with quote

gbrand42 wrote:

No.

It's like putting out a fire - you don't stop when the fire starts to go down, you stop when its out, otherwise all that time spent diligently dousing the flames is a complete waste of time.

"Done my bit and now its my turn" - my kids use similar "it's not fair" arguments; it never gets them what they want though.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:52 - 30 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

- wrote:

the government are already noticing with increased car use, we’ll be put on a proper lockdown.

I don't suppose that would have anything to do with increasing numbers of people going back to work, or, perhaps, you're just expecting them to use those teleporting devices Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:04 - 30 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:

The whole thing is a shambles, and I wouldn't expect anyone to take this government serious; but would say that limiting the chances of contact with others, and therefore contracting cornavirus, is a sensible path to follow for your own best interests.

Stop blaming/hiding behind the government, take responsibility for your own actions. There was no reason to implement the lockdown, certainly not in the manner it has been, if we had a population with a modicum of common sense. Physical distancing, is easy to attain, especially if you don't rely on public transport, there can be workarounds put in place to mitigate that, as will have to be put in place when more businesses return to trading.

As for personal hygiene, well, that should already be a given, alas, for a sizeable proportion of the population, it isn't a given.

That really is all that is needed, physical distancing & hygiene.

NJD wrote:

Stopping bikes is an easy target because their less essential than cars for shopping trips.

That's a nonsense, why is a bike any less essential than a car for shopping, as a family, 2 adults, 1 teenager, and a medium sized dog I easily manage to do the weekly shop in 1 trip on the bike. Like you, I have ridden the bike in the company of police without issue, even, last weekend, when I had 50Kg of cement bags strapped to the seat.

Last edited by linuxyeti on 09:10 - 30 Apr 2020; edited 1 time in total
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 364 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4