Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Total newbie- quickest route to DWYL

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

teach
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:43 - 23 Apr 2020    Post subject: Total newbie- quickest route to DWYL Reply with quote

I've read a alot of threads on hear and my apologies if I've missed the question I am about to ask.
I'm due to relocate to London and do not want to sit in a car on the M25. I'm looking at a Deauville as a sensible commuter bike.
What I am looking at is how quickly do you think I can reasonably/ sensible/safely get my licence.
I got my car licence in 1990.
I know I need my CBT, as a slightly unusual question is do I need a motorbike theory test or will a current driver theory test do? I passed my theory in November 2019 as I am a qualified driving instructor (cars).
Can I just go from CBT to booking a few lessons and booking my driving test. (DAS) Is this a very naive approach? Do I need to complete hours/miles on a motorbike before I apply for a bigger licence.
Cheers

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:41 - 23 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need to do a minimum of a theory test + Mod 1 & 2. You don't have to do the CBT but most people ride about a bit on a 125 before going for a big-boy bike.

The fastest (but probably most expensive) is to do all-in-one intensive training + all the tests back to back. As you want to get straight on the M25 that's probably the way to go. (You don't need to "log hours" on a bike as such, I'm assuming you're over 24yo?)

TaffyTDM
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 06:56 - 23 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
You will need to do a minimum of a theory test + Mod 1 & 2. You don't have to do the CBT but most people ride about a bit on a 125 before going for a big-boy bike.

The fastest (but probably most expensive) is to do all-in-one intensive training + all the tests back to back. As you want to get straight on the M25 that's probably the way to go. (You don't need to "log hours" on a bike as such, I'm assuming you're over 24yo?)

CBT is required for a mod 2 except if upgrading from a1 or a2
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TaffyTDM
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 07:31 - 23 Apr 2020    Post subject: Re: Total newbie- quickest route to DWYL Reply with quote

teach wrote:
I've read a alot of threads on hear and my apologies if I've missed the question I am about to ask.
I'm due to relocate to London and do not want to sit in a car on the M25. I'm looking at a Deauville as a sensible commuter bike.
What I am looking at is how quickly do you think I can reasonably/ sensible/safely get my licence.
I got my car licence in 1990.
I know I need my CBT, as a slightly unusual question is do I need a motorbike theory test or will a current driver theory test do? I passed my theory in November 2019 as I am a qualified driving instructor (cars).
Can I just go from CBT to booking a few lessons and booking my driving test. (DAS) Is this a very naive approach? Do I need to complete hours/miles on a motorbike before I apply for a bigger licence.
Cheers

If you are an ADI, you will probably get better info (and build contacts...) buying the local motorbike school instructor a tea whilst you are both waiting at the test centre for your students to return.
The motorcycle theory test differs in content from the car, so you will need to sit it along with the hazard test element. I would brush up on the differences in tyre tread amongst other things, dont assume you will pass it.
You will need to complete a cbt unless you already have some form of motorcycle licence gained from taking a motorcycle test before you can sit your mod 2(road assessment). Practically, if you go through a riding school, they will either insist on you turning up with a certificate, or will add on a days training at the beginning(and charge accordingly). How soon you then pass depends on how good you are, if you can get your own slots at the examination grounds, or if you go through a school when they have a window for you to go. And at the moment you may struggle, even if you fit into the criterea for a critical worker.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

teach
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:31 - 23 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. Time to start looking at the options ready for when lockdown has finished.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:00 - 24 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully in before you get Teffed!

CBT first, decide if you like motorcycles. Then, yes a theory test. No point doing a theory test and then paying for a CBT and hating 2 wheels!

After that, find a school you like that offers you the level of instruction you'd expect a pupil of yours would get.

(Oh, tell them you're an ADI) it'll help.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 4 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1