Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

KZ400EE Chop rebuild

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ace Rimmer
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:59 - 25 Apr 2020    Post subject: KZ400EE Chop rebuild Reply with quote

Here We go then,

Some pics of my project bike. A 3/4 way finished project all I need to do is finish it off!

Has spent a few years sitting about so I was pretty chuffed when it turned over by hand! After checking the electrical system most things work, so have just received new coils when I noticed the crack on the block by the engine mount so all is stopped until I know its a repairable thing =(
I wont be starting from scratch as this one is a bit special for me and worth the extra effort. The work gone in so far justifies it for me!
The plan was to just get the engine running well then work on the rest of the bike to get it road ready in maybe 8 weeks time. But as I'm taking out the engine it'll be nice to have the chance to inspect the frame and have more through approach to the whole project.

Other than that all I need is :
Rear brake assembly
Forks
Lights
Seat
Clutch/throttle cables + gear
Strip + re-jet carbs for trumpets
Mot
+more I'm sure!

Will be updating with more pics as I go.

Hope you like!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:16 - 25 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the hell's happened to the back of the frame?

Ace Rimmer
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:23 - 25 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The previous owners work, Plan is its a single seater hence the removal of the rear foot peg mounts as well. The bike sure has some style as a one seater for sure really does depend on how i decide to roll the tube for the back. to lip? or keep flat?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:57 - 25 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

What to do with the pipes where the rest of the frame used to be?

Scrap the whole fucking frame. It has no structual integrity left.

Alternately, make sure someone is filming it the first time you try and take a corner on it. We all enjoy a laugh at stupendous crashes.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:48 - 25 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, someone needs their angle-grinder licence revoking!.

That's going to take a bit of bracing up again. Zed frames are bendy enough to start with.

They had a bit of a kick-up at the end of the tailpiece as standard didn't they?

Is that half a slug I see sticking out of the right hand frame rail. They were just going to slug and butt weld it? Gonna want some gussetting in there somewhere. Just not sure where, not been left a whole lot of meat to work with.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:45 - 25 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ace Rimmer wrote:
The previous owners work, Plan is its a single seater hence the removal of the rear foot peg mounts as well. The bike sure has some style as a one seater for sure really does depend on how i decide to roll the tube for the back. to lip? or keep flat?

You'll get there. I like your centre stand, by the way. Unsure what "how i decide to roll the tube for the back. to lip? or keep flat?" means, sorry.

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:25 - 25 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

What stink said.

Whatever happens behind that rear shock mount, make sure theres a cross brace joining the 2 ends up otherwise it'l handle like a hippo thats eaten a bag of ketamine.
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.

Ace Rimmer
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:49 - 26 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK So gona finish this engine removal today, ended up with a couple too many drinks in me on a sat afternoon in the yard to finish yesterday, now with a blistering hangover all to do now is exhaust stud removal, then slip it on out. You can imegine what I'm looking at....

stinkwheel - Yep your right it originally a little kickup there, but not sure about the styling, thats a bit far away now but if well considered, could hide some bracing required on the rear SF, maybe even some mounting pints for a couple of small leather panniers. Is good to consider now whilst the engine is out.
Yes thats a slug, cant remember the term for the procedure I'll be using but for sure it'll not be structural. I've a few ideas on the fabrication of this bracket but Im open to ideas on this!

Riejufixing - Nice one thanks,
Also we are constantly developing our centerstands, this is one of our 100% biodegradable environmentally friendly free range barn fed models. [/quote]

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:43 - 26 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ace Rimmer wrote:

stinkwheel - Yep your right it originally a little kickup there, but not sure about the styling, thats a bit far away now but if well considered, could hide some bracing required on the rear SF, maybe even some mounting pints for a couple of small leather panniers. Is good to consider now whilst the engine is out.
Yes thats a slug, cant remember the term for the procedure I'll be using but for sure it'll not be structural. I've a few ideas on the fabrication of this bracket but Im open to ideas on this!

I can't stress enough how badly that's been butchered. It's not structurally sound, The two sides of the rear of the frame will flex independantly and you risk the shock mounts coming adrift. Frame will probably snap after a while if it's not properly sorted out.

They have cut the gussets that support the rear shock mounts off with the back of the subframe. It'll need a cross-braced loop bending up, slugging and welding in and new gusset plates and shock mounts.

Here's what you are supposed to have there:

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=103416

The strength on those gusset plates is all in the tiranguation. Yours are no longer triangular.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:20 - 26 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose nothing is truly beyond repair, but there is a point where it ends up being more costly or time-consuming than it's worth.

If I had that project on my hands, I would probably try and look into getting the frame repaired or braced first, and then looking for a competent welder with a good reputation to fix the broken engine mount, or trying to source a replacement crankcase.

Once I had all the costs available to me, I would try and compare them with the price of replacing the frame and/or engine. I don't want to break the rules by posting in the wrong subforum so I've sent you a PM.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:11 - 26 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from the need of a good bracing between the points above the shock mounts as previously mentioned, I dont see it as a lost cause at all
Tubework after the cut only supported the seat.

Compared to the form over function retards who ruin the structural integrity of old CXs by converting skinny CX swinging arms to mono shocks, its a pretty harmless mod

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:29 - 26 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:

Tubework after the cut only supported the seat.

And the shocks. It's all structural up to the end of that pressed steel "arch".

Ace Rimmer
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:35 - 26 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here it is:

2/4 outlet exhaust broken
Bits and pieces left of the casing
rear mount rusted through
Hole in frame under rear brake pedal
Broken carburettor

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:48 - 26 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is going to be thin as fuck and a nightmare to fix.

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/20200426_160954_copy.jpg

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:55 - 26 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ace Rimmer wrote:
Well here it is: ( 8< )

Can you weld?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:20 - 26 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a motorcycle. It's a mud anchor. So many structural problems and you haven't even looked inside the motor yet.

I'd cut my losses. Look for a spares or repair one and use this as a parts donor. Hopefully some of the engine internals are still useable.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 08:56 - 27 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh look, dead weight Laughing

Scrap time. Fun time.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 11:09 - 27 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

Scrap time. Fun time.

Aren't you going to offer to buy it?

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:36 - 27 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You people....
Yes, there, I said it
You people
whining on about a tiny speck of rust
All you see is problems

I see opportunities

https://imgur.com/2Mp4xpD.jpg

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:47 - 27 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://media.tenor.com/images/a53dc07bf0a6f8822f16c0760299f915/tenor.gif

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 16:15 - 27 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Paddy. wrote:

Scrap time. Fun time.

Aren't you going to offer to buy it?

I buy bikes.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:24 - 27 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
I buy bikes.

https://media.tenor.com/images/1b7e631916a76c1e418ec8c7c83f9e07/tenor.gif

https://media1.tenor.com/images/b3deb97b2daa22f7366f4f1217ebf309/tenor.gif?itemid=10493131

https://media1.tenor.com/images/dc1421d61e066a5319b4971fee179bf2/tenor.gif?itemid=3569646

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:33 - 02 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't just leave it hanging! What did you decide to do? Just curious.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:44 - 02 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me to be one of those things that's possible given the expertise or the money. Bit of welding/brazing, head, mount, more bits 'n' bobs of course, but given the desire to do the job is still a possible.

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:57 - 03 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
It seems to me to be one of those things that's possible given the expertise or the money. Bit of welding/brazing, head, mount, more bits 'n' bobs of course, but given the desire to do the job is still a possible.

Yeah, but why? It was worth fuck all before some asswipe fucked the frame, and then it turned out to be full of tin worm. Which incidentally, makes the already compromised structural integrity of the frame even more desperate.

At this point, find a frame, find a motor, just buy a new bike to cut up maybe?

losses need to be cut more than the wrist veins of the original 'modder' Laughing

Also, I direct you to the OP:

Quote:
Some pics of my project bike. A 3/4 way finished project all I need to do is finish it off!

I don't think we're dealing with the type of whizzkid that has the skills to deal with the level of fuckage seen here. Anyone with half an ounce of mechanical nouse and sympathy could have sensed how trash this thing was from at least 25 foot away. Very Happy

Last edited by lilredmachine on 23:04 - 03 May 2020; edited 1 time in total
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 330 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2