Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

We are not alone...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:48 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rebel wrote:
Well yes, the New Scientist is a publication, and there is indeed an article in last months edition about the unusual findings of the Antarctic Impulsive Transient Antenna.

It wasn't last month, it was January. As I said, the story was refuted in May.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Rebel This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:46 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rebel wrote:
https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg24532770-400-we-may-have-spotted-a-parallel-universe-going-backwards-in-time/

Looks like last month to me, the remainder of your comment is equally incorrect, as my previous replies will demonstrate to a more discerning reader.

Can't see much there beyond the deliberately provocative headline and intro but I suspect the full text is more cautious. In fact,
Quote:
The many, many articles now online appear to be rooted in a six-week old story published by the New Scientist in which the admittedly alarming headline—We may have spotted a parallel universe going backwards in time—is backed-up by a well-written and thought-provoking article about some puzzling results from studies conducted in Antarctica of cosmic rays (high energy charged particles) arriving from outside Earth’s atmosphere. Along with some far-out “what if” musings about the hard-to-explain origins of these particles. Cue the parallel universe chat.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamiecartereurope/2020/05/21/has-nasa-found-a-parallel-universe-where-time-flows-backwards-the-truth-behind-the-headlines/#115ca545646d
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:59 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are not alone.

There's Val.

Thumbs Up
Rebel This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:57 - 17 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rebel wrote:
Can't see much there except further confirmation of my original comment, the Standard Model cannot explain the detection of these fundamental particles.

Your original comment followed up with;

Rebel wrote:
What appear to be extreme high energy neutrinos have been detected shooting out of the ice. Normally these are attributed to immensely powerful cosmic accelerators such as neutron stars and galactic nuclei.
What could possibly be down there that can replicate this?

Judging by your usual approach it was reasonable to assume you're putting this forward as evidence of the Inner-Earthlings. Very Happy

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:43 - 18 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't the time to read everything. Can anybody tell me if we are alone or not?

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:55 - 19 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
I haven't the time to read everything. Can anybody tell me if we are alone or not?

Just adopt Solipsism, then the question is moot.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:57 - 19 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Diggs wrote:

Just adopt Solipsism, then the question is moot.

I admit it, I just googled that...

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:53 - 12 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
There probably is life out there. Say there is only one earthlike planet per star system.

There are an estimated 10^11 stars in our galaxy alone (that's a 1 with 11 zero's after it).

There are an estimated 10^12 galaxies in the universe, so 10^23 planets.

Chances of there being life on many of them is therefore very good.

The problem is the vast distance between us and them. Even our closest star system (alpha centuri) is over 4 light years away. It would take us 75,000 years to reach it.

That's not to say that faster than light travel is impossible. But if a species has mastered it they would be extremely intelligent. Far more intelligent than just to appear to some individuals and rotate around a bit.
I can't do the numbers, the numbers and the whole concept of processing distance makes me mentally unwell, but given the prospect of what's out there that we can't even think of detecting?

No way we're the only thing.
chickenstrip wrote:
The only thing I'd say to that is, do we know about everything in the universe?
Even aliens could be rational.
Why would we spend so much time looking for life out there if we thought it was irrational to expect there to be any?
Open mind here.

Definitely.

I expect that partly because we don't know what we're looking for, we could have already missed big parts of the puzzle.
Life longevity: Looks at turtles, and dinosaurs.
The T-rex is closer to our timeframe on the timeline than it it is to when Dinosaurs happened. This many billions of years later and we're just evolved now?
How do we know that something else isn't much older, or something much younger could have a natural benefit which propels them to a bigger advantage sooner?
Quote:
That's not to say that faster than light travel is impossible. But if a species has mastered it they would be extremely intelligent. Far more intelligent than just to appear to some individuals and rotate around a bit.
This bit gets me everytime; if aliens had managed to travel all the way here from wherever; how ever many billions of lightyears away, they aren't going to hover over the white house and take photos. Supposedly, something about human evolution doesn't add up and some reckon aliens took refuge here and bred with early stupid humans, that makes more sense, if they're going to come and hang about they would make it worthwhile.

A bigger immediate question I have, is while sci-fi and aliens make for good movies and TV - how much of that is a pre-prep for the true potential?
I mean, otherwise, how and why do the writers just throw it out so the network big wigs think 'yes, we will pay for a series revolving around fighting unbelievable aliens and hope the advertisers don't vanish'?

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:10 - 12 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

Aliens seems like a massive stretch anyway. Time travellers would almost be a more realistic answer. There are certainly more realistic speculative physics surrounding that than interstellar travel.
Why?

What makes one more likely than the other; aside from the visiting to mess about with video camera footage angle.

Why can't there be shy aliens?
How do we know that another life form hasn't been cruising around galaxies for many generations and every now and again, decide to prank us in passing?
Think of it like a child casually messing with an ants nest, several times a year until the teenage years. Why can't it be so?
Why is it more likely time travellers? And if that is an established possi/probability, why and how hasn't the tech leaked here yet?
The chances or humans being better at keeping secret stuff than us now, a few hundred years ahead of this time, are surely slim?

MarJay wrote:

One thing that those theories tell us is that interstellar travel is basically impossible. We might be wrong about that

---------

There is an open mind, but then there is filling that gap with imagination rather than logic.

Conspiracy theorists latch on to things because they want to have knowledge that others don't have. So in their case it's easier and nicer for them to believe crazy out there theories with no evidence than it is to accept what is most likely the truth. It's exhilarating, but it's brain chemistry, not rationality.
Our understanding though might be a ways out of the ballpark of what is possible.

Look at all the radical discoveries made by us over the years, that before then, nobody even thought about.
Nobody sat in a pub in 200BC and thought 'I wonder if electricity can actually happen' - it wouldn't occur because until random chance discovery, nobody thinks about it.
Same in my opinion for ways of discovering spacey stuff.
Until it's found, we can't know where or how to stumble upon it, so we don't know it's basically impossible?

The conspiracy thing for me is the same as religion, except my view is that those who have faith and believe, just don't want to believe there is no grand plan to life, and that it is natural evolutionary chaos; survival of the fittest.
People have a HARD time with choices Vs moral compass Vs justification, what better way to extinguish yourself of bearing that burden than to say some superior entity is in charge of and responsible for it?

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:17 - 12 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's life in uranus.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:45 - 19 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fill yer boots:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hc6pbG4wICA

That's one I like though, haven't heard before. Maybe not aliens from some other galaxy, but actually terrestrials that live here all the time but in some other kind of dimension, who occasionally slip through to ours. At least one sci-fi movie there if it hasn't already been done.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:05 - 22 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rebel wrote:

Have you posted the right link because that looks a lot like a drone light display rather than an alien mothership?

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:30 - 22 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's how Coronavirus got started.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:21 - 23 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
The only thing I'd say to that is, do we know about everything in the universe?
Even aliens could be rational.
Why would we spend so much time looking for life out there if we thought it was irrational to expect there to be any?
Open mind here.

Same reason/s man/womankind has spent most of their time on earth looking for and believing that there is a Deity in charge of everything.

Or Wanking.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:33 - 23 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not looking for a god. It's just fun to speculate. It is kind of difficult to imagine there isn't any other life out there, given what we know about the vast expanse of the universe and the increase in our knowledge of other planetary systems. And who's to say other life forms don't wank too?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:33 - 23 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
And who's to say other life forms don't wank too?

All evidence so far points to them being into bum sex Wink

Amusing light display though.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 10:44 - 24 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's notable how the crop circle season started late this year. Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:55 - 24 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
It's notable how the crop circle season started late this year. Laughing

You might also notice how the circles are all at least 2m apart.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 248 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 8 of 15