Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

The next big coronavirus complaint that is coming

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:48 - 04 May 2020    Post subject: The next big coronavirus complaint that is coming Reply with quote

The media are making up excuses to complain like PPE and testing, but soon there will be much angrier complaints most about perceived favouritism towards older/Tory voters at the expense of younger people giving the impression of a 2010 rerun where young people paid most of the price.

1. Staged opening. As things start to open up it's going to be more open and sparse facilties and events that open first. That means restaurants with lots of spacing, bowls/golf clubs, quiet pubs, garden centres, horse racing but most of these are "old people" places. Younger people places like bars, clubs and gyms will be the last to open and could easily be closed until there is a vaccine.

2. The economic crisis. Just like the last one this will hit those who don't own homes, those with fewer assets and income, those working lower down the ladder. Yep, younger people again.

All of this of course being done purely for the benefit of older people. Put it all together and you've got the makings of some very pissed off younger people.

inb4 MPD: I'm offended Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:18 - 04 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

They could easily open gyms etc with limited people allowed in on a booking system. I'm sure all the big gyms run an appointment system for classes, be relatively easy to accommodate that for gym goers.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:24 - 04 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, I think the backlash against the end of lockdown will come from those who've been on 80% wages for doing nothing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:32 - 04 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Nah, I think the backlash against the end of lockdown will come from those who've been on 80% wages for doing nothing.

Main contractor I've been working for are making up the 80% capped wage of the guys on furlough to 80% of their true wage, and at the same time cut the wages of the guys not on furlough by 20%, so the guys working full time and risking their health are getting the same wage as those sitting at home on furlough with a big grin on their faces.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:34 - 04 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

That will mostly apply wiithin workplaces soo its not a problem for the government. If some employees get 3 months 80% paid holiday and the other half have to work for full salary then yeah the latter group will be pretty hacked off.
- This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Flame). Unhide this post / all posts.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:16 - 04 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

- wrote:
The left are already having a go at the Tories because not enough people are ill enough to fill the temporary hospital in London.

Funny that, as I see that as a positive. Just highlights what dicks the modern left are.
Question

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:33 - 04 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
- wrote:
The left are already having a go at the Tories because not enough people are ill enough to fill the temporary hospital in London.

Funny that, as I see that as a positive. Just highlights what dicks the modern left are.
Question

NHS Nightingale is empty and media are saying the government overreacted. It's contingency planning, but previous governments were useless at it so I'm not surprised that the media don't know what it is.

Sauce: BBC page this morning.
- This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Flame). Unhide this post / all posts.

FretGrinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:55 - 04 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I can see a lot of people taking the piss with this whole staged reopening thing.

The whole thing about landlords allowing a few people in at a time and making sure that people keep their distance and only allow a couple or three pints at best will quickly turn into everyone going on a massive binge because they've had to curb themselves over the past few months. That and landlords will want to get as much money coming in as possible.

There's going to be a lot of bikes out once the social distancing rules are relaxed and this will probably bring out more plod because all of the speeding bikers everywhere.

Once you've held people back from doing what they like, when they like with whoever they like, they're not gonna take a staged return to that life, they're likely to go at like a red rag to a bull.

ಠ_ಠ

Last edited by FretGrinder on 22:03 - 04 May 2020; edited 1 time in total

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:57 - 04 May 2020    Post subject: Re: The next big coronavirus complaint that is coming Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
The media are making up excuses to complain like PPE and testing, but soon there will be much angrier complaints most about perceived favouritism towards older/Tory voters at the expense of younger people giving the impression of a 2010 rerun where young people paid most of the price.

1. Staged opening. As things start to open up it's going to be more open and sparse facilties and events that open first. That means restaurants with lots of spacing, bowls/golf clubs, quiet pubs, garden centres, horse racing but most of these are "old people" places. Younger people places like bars, clubs and gyms will be the last to open and could easily be closed until there is a vaccine.

2. The economic crisis. Just like the last one this will hit those who don't own homes, those with fewer assets and income, those working lower down the ladder. Yep, younger people again.

All of this of course being done purely for the benefit of older people. Put it all together and you've got the makings of some very pissed off younger people.

inb4 MPD: I'm offended Laughing

I'm not sure what you write is correct.

There are an large amount of OAP's existing on state pension and nothing else (probably a good few thousand less after this virus though Sad )

House prices have fallen 15% so young people with money will find it easier to get on the housing ladder. Young people without money were never going to get on it anyway.

However what will happen is the uneducated masses in the lower echelons of society will latch on the idea all this lockdown was done to protect the old and the ill and it would never have affect ed them. We have already had scumbags spitting at OAP's in our area blaming them for their traumatised living style. Those sort of people won't be going to gyms and winebars though, they will be on street corners drinking white lightening and scoring crack.

Have I stereotyped enough here? Laughing Thumbs Up

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:03 - 04 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

- wrote:

It was a question at the daily briefing yesterday.
“Was it a waste of money” basically.

As would have been said of huge stockpiles of PPE if we'd had them - before they were needed.

The media will have a go whatever the government do.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:38 - 04 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fairness, i think there's going to be a backlash against the snowflakes.

My Mrs is super pissy about it and she is usually very tolerant.

One of her snowflake colleagues kicked-off about unacceptable risk going into work so they furloghed her. My Mrs is still going into work and having to cover extra on-call but is being short-houred due to their 2-team system. So she's working her socks off and getting 60-70% of normal pay (without her consent) while her snowflake colleague is sat on her arse getting 80% for doing fuck-all.

We're a ballhair away from raising a formal greivance for the short-houring.

As someone else pointed out. Gen X is doing all the fucking work here. I am also a midges tonker away from jumping on my bike and going camping. Why should I risk my health at work but can't risk it very much less to please myself?

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:43 - 04 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Why should I risk my health at work but can't risk it very much less to please myself?

Because we are supposed to be a responsible society. Yes, there are people that are not, but it's not responsible to do what they do.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:45 - 04 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
NHS Nightingale is empty and media are saying the government overreacted. It's contingency planning, but previous governments were useless at it so I'm not surprised that the media don't know what it is.

Sauce: BBC page this morning.

Quite. No-one knew what would happen, so it was responsible to plan. It is a good thing that lockdown happened and is producing results, or the situation would probably have been very different.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:46 - 04 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

FretGrinder wrote:
Unfortunately, I can see a lot of people taking the piss with this whole staged reopening thing.

The whole thing about landlords allowing a few people in at a time and making sure that people keep their distance and only allow a couple or three pints at best will quickly turn into everyone going on a massive binge because they've had to curb themselves over the past few months. That and landlords will want to get as much money coming in as possible.

My local is small. It only has about 8 tables in two rooms and half a dozen bar stools. I doubt if you could get 10 people in with any form of social distancing. That won't pay the bills.

Also another pub I use (yes I use lots Cool ) has a bar thats more like a hatch in one room, everyone queues to be served. Never going to work.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:50 - 04 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
In fairness, i think there's going to be a backlash against the snowflakes.

My Mrs is super pissy about it and she is usually very tolerant.

One of her snowflake colleagues kicked-off about unacceptable risk going into work so they furloghed her. My Mrs is still going into work and having to cover extra on-call but is being short-houred due to their 2-team system. So she's working her socks off and getting 60-70% of normal pay (without her consent) while her snowflake colleague is sat on her arse getting 80% for doing fuck-all.

We're a ballhair away from raising a formal greivance for the short-houring.

As someone else pointed out. Gen X is doing all the fucking work here. I am also a midges tonker away from jumping on my bike and going camping. Why should I risk my health at work but can't risk it very much less to please myself?

What is going to happen when the gov say people can go back to work and some say they don't want to as they don't think it's safe. Are firms going to be able to sack them? They can't be expected to employ another person as well and the gov are going to shut down the furlough scheme as soon as they can.

Unions (and Labour) are going to say people have the right not to go into work if they don't feel safe. Companies are going to say they can't afford to carry people, especially now.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:54 - 04 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

My local is small. It only has about 8 tables in two rooms and half a dozen bar stools. I doubt if you could get 10 people in with any form of social distancing. That won't pay the bills.

Also another pub I use (yes I use lots Cool ) has a bar thats more like a hatch in one room, everyone queues to be served. Never going to work.

Blankets and beer gardens. It's summer, drink outside.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:42 - 04 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

Blankets and umbrellas and beer gardens. It's summer, drink outside.

EFA Laughing

Short of waitress service I still don't see how it will work.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:45 - 04 May 2020    Post subject: Re: The next big coronavirus complaint that is coming Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

I'm not sure what you write is correct.

There are an large amount of OAP's existing on state pension and nothing else (probably a good few thousand less after this virus though Sad )

House prices have fallen 15% so young people with money will find it easier to get on the housing ladder. Young people without money were never going to get on it anyway.

However what will happen is the uneducated masses in the lower echelons of society will latch on the idea all this lockdown was done to protect the old and the ill and it would never have affect ed them. We have already had scumbags spitting at OAP's in our area blaming them for their traumatised living style. Those sort of people won't be going to gyms and winebars though, they will be on street corners drinking white lightening and scoring crack.

Have I stereotyped enough here? Laughing Thumbs Up

You'll always be able to find someone in poverty in any category you like, but its the average that matters here. The government is always very quick to help middle aged and older people, but younger people get very little help from the government. Indeed younger people ended up shoulding more of the pain than anyone else in 2010 (tuition fees, house prices, EMA...), while house prices got propped up and the pensions got the hextouple lock or whatever they call it now. Income is only one side of the equation too because you first have to factor in all of the unfunded costs younger people face which older people either didn't have (tuition fees) or which were as a percentage of income much lower (house prices).

People are real quick to moan about communism, Corbyn and Labour but the Tories need to have something of substance to offer as an alternative. What's the point being a capitalist if you have no capital? What are the Tories going to offer in 2025? It's basically in the bag for Keir if he can hang on long enough.

The million dollar question here is what kind of economic crisis are we looking at here, and nobody actually knows, though some like to think they do! The 2010 recession, more properly called the decade long depression, is now being compounded by the largest recession* in history. If that turns out to be an economic depression and doesn't rebound then that's going to be quite horrific.

* Not technically a recession due to lucky timing.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:49 - 04 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

EFA Laughing

Short of waitress service I still don't see how it will work.

Small to medium pubs will be fine, especially if they have a beer garden. It's mostly bars and clubs that would be unable to open.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:34 - 05 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

More dumb stereotypes about millennials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gjin8t633pc

How can you not know how to use a rotary phone or a typewriter? Confused That boom box is pretty modern anyway, when I was a kid I had a record player Wink

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:56 - 06 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The next one will be 'The tracking app isn't secure'. 'All your data will go to the gov'. 'It will track BAME hoodies and is racist'. 'The popo will be using it to check up on who you meet. etc etc.

So anyone under 20 will never download it. Anyone into conspiracy theories won't download it. Dog owners that don't pick up their dog poo won't download it and the Welsh won't download it because it doesn't track sheep.

Waste of time then. Cool

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:13 - 06 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
The next one will be 'The tracking app isn't secure'. 'All your data will go to the gov'. 'It will track BAME hoodies and is racist'. 'The popo will be using it to check up on who you meet. etc etc.

So anyone under 20 will never download it. Anyone into conspiracy theories won't download it. Dog owners that don't pick up their dog poo won't download it and the Welsh won't download it because it doesn't track sheep.

Waste of time then. Cool

I have no intention of using the app.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:15 - 06 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Waste of time then. Cool

I looked for it. The Isle of Wight trial is apparently on, but the rest of us can't (or rather, shouldn't) install it, because that will confuse the results.

When it comes, I'll install it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 352 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4