Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

The next big coronavirus complaint that is coming

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:11 - 07 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's absolutely hilarious that people are complaining about the NHS tracking app when they're are bugged by their phone from the get go with google right down to some 3rd world app maker.

Mr chut un bok gets to see where your going but not this app. Shhh!

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:17 - 07 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmoan wrote:
It's absolutely hilarious that people are complaining about the NHS tracking app when they're are bugged by their phone from the get go with google right down to some 3rd world app maker.

My phone has location turned off my default. I only ever turn it on when I want to use a map.

Didn't you know you could do this?

Anyway, the NHS app doesn't really use location, it uses bluetooth to identify nearby people.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:26 - 07 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Jmoan wrote:

My phone has location turned off my default. I only ever turn it on when I want to use a map.

Anyway, the NHS app doesn't really use location, it uses bluetooth to identify nearby people.

Ah, it says it's turned off but is it really?

That's why I've designed a phone case that incorporates a metal mesh so you basically have the thing wrapped in a tiny Faraday Cage. For some reason case manufacturers don't seem interested Thinking Shome short of conspiracy!

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:02 - 07 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Jmoan wrote:

True, but with location privacy off I can Google Tanya batteries or Argos hair clippers and when I log into Facebook there's an advert for the same. I'm pretty sure they know where I live, and more.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:56 - 07 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Jmoan wrote:

Even with location turned off, it's possible to track the movement of a phone by using mast data - it won't work particularly well in places where there aren't many masts but in urban areas it will.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:59 - 07 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

That's why I've designed a phone case that incorporates a metal mesh so you basically have the thing wrapped in a tiny Faraday Cage. For some reason case manufacturers don't seem interested Thinking Shome short of conspiracy!

Why not just switch the phone off? Laughing

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:21 - 08 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
Easy-X wrote:

Why not just switch the phone off[/b]? Laughing

Oh DUH!!! How would you send selfies if it's switched off? Rolling Eyes

Some people have no idea!

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:02 - 08 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

True, but with location privacy off I can Google Tanya batteries or Argos hair clippers and when I log into Facebook there's an advert for the same. I'm pretty sure they know where I live, and more.

Go in settings in turn off your advertising ID.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:14 - 08 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefox has the functionality to sandbox facebook so it cant read your other cookies.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:47 - 08 May 2020    Post subject: Re: The next big coronavirus complaint that is coming Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
What are the Tories going to offer in 2025? It's basically in the bag for Keir if he can hang on long enough.

Thats five years away.
When you started 2020 with all the fireworks and champagne, would you have ever believed this would be the situation we would be in right now, less than six months later?

And before that ... the Aussie fires. Devastation on a grand scale.
Here today, shocking us all to the core, and gone tomorrow.

Who knows where any political party will be in five years time.
Impossible to judge based on today's situation.

Long term political or economic forecasters can't even take into account so-called "natural" disasters (such as the fire) and the argument will rage for MANY YEARS about whether this was a natural biological crisis or whether it was engineered by [whoever the fuck conspiracy theorists say its being engineered by].

So maybe we should wait till 2024 until we start making judgements about which political party will be best performing to vote in (or out) in 2025.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:50 - 08 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

I have my bluetooth turned off most of the time, and certainly more often than my location.
Not by choice, just by bimbosity.

Quote:
Riejufixing wrote:
odure

Wub You are Nowhere Elysium and I claim my 5 printed plastic pounds.

Is there an executive summary to that paper? Only I got to page 3 and ... I lost the will to live.

But from what I can see of that, the information won't be available unless you CHOOSE TO TELL THEM that you have it, AND make your information available for that purpose, which I am assuming there is a toggle for?

Please don't make me read any more, sir.
Brain hurts today, muchly.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:12 - 08 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Im-a-Ridah wrote:
What are the Tories going to offer in 2025? It's basically in the bag for Keir if he can hang on long enough.

Thats five years away.
When you started 2020 with all the fireworks and champagne, would you have ever believed this would be the situation we would be in right now, less than six months later?

And before that ... the Aussie fires. Devastation on a grand scale.
Here today, shocking us all to the core, and gone tomorrow.

Who knows where any political party will be in five years time.
Impossible to judge based on today's situation.

Long term political or economic forecasters can't even take into account so-called "natural" disasters (such as the fire) and the argument will rage for MANY YEARS about whether this was a natural biological crisis or whether it was engineered by [whoever the fuck conspiracy theorists say its being engineered by].

So maybe we should wait till 2024 until we start making judgements about which political party will be best performing to vote in (or out) in 2025.

I do not need to predict what crises will happen in order to make the forecasts. In the context of the prospects of the Tories with younger people nothing has changed, and if 2010 is anything to go by then the only way is down. The Tories will once again focus on what benefits older people, and younger people will respond by not voting Tory. But there could be an unforseen crisis, a crisis where the Tories start helping younger people, not likely though Laughing

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:27 - 08 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
My phone has location turned off my default. I only ever turn it on when I want to use a map. Didn't you know you could do this?

Jmoan I guess does know; however, many, most I guess people, know sod all about their phones. The same goes for PCs. Even "Youuunng Peepole". They're what we used to call "Lusers", who can use programs, let's call them "apps", but that's about all. I find it really quite surprising.

Quite right about the NHS app. There is a lot of bleating that "I won't use it because it tracks you and the gummint will do [input ridiculous thing here $<]!". Pfft.

Oh, by the way, I see the source for the beta is now available (github).

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:37 - 08 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crack on and use it if you want to. Individual choice and all that Smile Thumbs Up

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:08 - 08 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:
My phone has location turned off my default. I only ever turn it on when I want to use a map. Didn't you know you could do this?

Jmoan I guess does know; however, many, most I guess people, know sod all about their phones. The same goes for PCs. Even "Youuunng Peepole". They're what we used to call "Lusers", who can use programs, let's call them "apps", but that's about all. I find it really quite surprising.

Quite right about the NHS app. There is a lot of bleating that "I won't use it because it tracks you and the gummint will do [input ridiculous thing here $<]!". Pfft.

Oh, by the way, I see the source for the beta is now available (github).

Ok I will use the app but only if you walk around with an aluminium foil hat on. The app is as useless to me as the foil hat is to you.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:22 - 08 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
Ok I will use the app but only if you walk around with an aluminium foil hat on. The app is as useless to me as the foil hat is to you.

Don't you live in the UK, then?

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:56 - 09 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Im-a-Ridah wrote:

Don't you live in the UK, then?

The app is no benefit to me. It's also of no benefit to many other people who live in the UK.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:26 - 09 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
The app is no benefit to me. It's also of no benefit to many other people who live in the UK.

Why's that, then?

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:08 - 09 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Im-a-Ridah wrote:

Why's that, then?

Because its not useful information. If I could use it like a radar to detect people nearby who have coronavirus and avoid them then thats useful info, I can act upon it. If it tells me I might have been in contact with someone in the past then its useless info. It's not much more useful than an app which generates notifications at random points throughout the month because you need extended contact for transmission.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:25 - 09 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
(The app is no benefit to me. It's also of no benefit to many other people who live in the UK)...

Because its not useful information. If I could use it like a radar to detect people nearby who have coronavirus and avoid them then thats useful info, I can act upon it. If it tells me I might have been in contact with someone in the past then its useless info. It's not much more useful than an app which generates notifications at random points throughout the month because you need extended contact for transmission.

So one wonders why our government, the governments of other countries, have been implementing it, on medical/scientific advice. Somebody, then, must be wrong.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:58 - 10 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If people are perceived by this app to have immunity (self-confessed), are they then perceived to be "carriers". If so, why? If not, why not?

Will this not create a troublesome two-tier structure in society regarding the haves and the have-nots in a very different way than that to which we are accustomed?

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:34 - 10 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Im-a-Ridah wrote:
(The app is no benefit to me. It's also of no benefit to many other people who live in the UK)...

So one wonders why our government, the governments of other countries, have been implementing it, on medical/scientific advice. Somebody, then, must be wrong.

Some people may find it useful for them. That's great, I hope they enjoy using their new app.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:06 - 10 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Im-a-Ridah wrote:

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
Some people may find it useful for them. That's great, I hope they enjoy using their new app.

But YOU said the app was "not much more useful than an app which generates notifications at random points throughout the month because you need extended contact for transmission". That does not relate just to you, it would be the same for everybody. So are the government, and governments of other countries using similar apps, and their scientific and medical advisers wrong, or are you wrong?

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:02 - 10 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
stuff

It isn't much more useful than an app which generates random notifications, both provide the same false sense of protection. Thoughout your day you will pass people who have covid and you may or may not contract the virus. It's useless information.

When you start wearing your useless tin foil hat, I'll start using your useless app.

Out soon: The you've been hit by a bus app. Uses the the onboard accelerometer to warn you that you have just been hit by a bus.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:08 - 10 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:
stuff

It isn't much more useful than an app which generates random notifications, both provide the same false sense of protection. Thoughout your day you will pass people who have covid and you may or may not contract the virus. It's useless information.

When you start wearing your useless tin foil hat, I'll start using your useless app.

Out soon: The you've been hit by a bus app. Uses the the onboard accelerometer to warn you that you have just been hit by a bus.

Ho hum. You could have saved time by just admitting you don't know, instead of triping out a non-answer Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 345 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4